The return of Doctor Who (SPOILERS)

Comments

• Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    You mentioned The Power of the Daleks and The Evil of the Daleks, MNL. If you go to the website homepage, click Classic Series, then Photonovels you can read those 2 as Photonovels. Or just follow this link. :D
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/photonovels/index.shtml

Thank you for the info, Felix. I will check them out.
  • FelixLeiter ♀FelixLeiter ♀ Staffordshire or a pubPosts: 1,286MI6 Agent
    edited July 2005
    The Cat wrote:
    How can they loose episodes? I know there were no video tapes back than, but they surely kept something... I mean how do they get the pictures for the photonovels than?

Since MNL gave a fantastic explanation ( :D) to what the missing episodes were, I won't bpther to explain that to you Cat, but I'll just explain how they get the photonovels for the missing episodes.
    When they're were no video recorders, there would be a man who went around snapping a photo every few seconds. Usually taking an estimated 70 photographs per 28 minute episode.
    After he'd developed them, the man would then sell them to some of the cast, as souveniours (sorry about the spelling! :#). This was a neat idea, as there would be no other way of something to remind them about that particular episode in the story. :)
    Then someone had the bright idea of putting them together, for the missing episodes, or partially complete stories.
    So that would be my sum up of photonovels. They brought an episode from each story out each week at first. But I'm not sure whether or not they'll do any more. :(
    Hopefully they will and will continue where they left off with the Patrick Troughton era. After reading the photonovels, I've deceided I like him. :)
    Now if you'll excuse me, I think I'll be off to read the rest of 'The Moonbase'. :)
    Where I left it off yesterday, a Cyberman had just appeared, knocked Polly out, and Jamie was lying in the sick bay, shouting his head off about the Phantom Piper. :)) Although I'm sure the Cyberman doesn't look anything like the Phantom Piper! :)) He had got knocked out earlier though... :)
    Relax darling, I'm on top of the situation -{
    Since David Tennant is more or less unknown outside the UK at the moment, you will be able to see him as Barty Crouch Jnr in Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire this November...

I'd of never of thought he would play that role! :o Still, it should be one way to convince some of my mates that "Chris is gone! David Tennant is the new Doctor! Get over it!" :))
    I do hope the film is better than TPOA. IMO, that wasn't as good as I was expecting it to be. I haven't seen it for a while though, and my DVD copy of it is totally sh*t! :))
    edited August 2005
    Eighth Doctor on BBC Radio 7

Paul McGann stars on Saturdays at 6.30

Four Doctor Who adventures starring Paul McGann start on BBC Radio 7 on Saturday 6 August at 6.30 pm and 12.30 am.

The first adventure, Storm Warning, sees the Doctor visit a doomed airship. In Sword of Orion, he battles with the Cybermen, and in Stones of Venice, he visits a sinking city. The final adventure, Invaders From Mars is written by Mark Gatiss and co-stars Simon Pegg.

The adventures were originally made for CD by Big Finish.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/cult/news/drwho/2005/08/02/20879.shtml
    How can we have slipped this low! Almost on the third page! I was sure I'd posted here a few days ago when I was in Cyprus, but for some reason i guess it didn't work! :s
    Anyway, I'll just give some news, but I'm not sure whether or not it's out of date.
    The Classic Series area of the website has been given a new design! IMO, it's slightly better, but I think it would have been better if they'd had pictures of all the classic series Doctors.
    I'm not sure but I think you can access what MNL told us about in the above post there.
    Here's the link:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited August 2005
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4179702.stm

Sidekick K9 returns to Doctor Who

Robot dog K9 will be reunited with Doctor Who in the new series after 24 years apart, say the show's producers.

K9, who helped Tom Baker's Time Lord between 1977 and 1981, will join new Doctor David Tennant for one episode.

The show, to be screened on BBC One next spring, sees the team investigate sinister events at a modern-day school.

It will co-star Buffy the Vampire Slayer actor Anthony Head and Elisabeth Sladen, who is returning as 1970s Doctor's assistant Sarah Jane Smith.
    K9 and Sarah Jane will join the Doctor and his current sidekicks, Rose and Mickey, in a fight against the evil Krillitanes.  Producer Phil Collinson said it was "great" to be welcoming back K9.  "A whole generation fondly remember him as an ever faithful companion and best friend to Tom Baker's Doctor," he said.  "I hope the new generation of viewers will fall in love with him in the same way."  John Leeson will return to provide the voice of K9.  "I am delighted to have been invited back on board - and a little gathered rust is no object to a fully functional K9," he said.  K9 was designed as a robotic pet by a Professor Marius, who left him to the Doctor.  A total of three versions of K9 were built. The Doctor sent the third one to companion Sarah Jane, who had left in 1976.  Sarah Jane and K9 appeared together in the spin-off show K9&Co in 1981 and the 1983 anniversary special The Five Doctors.  Revived after a 16-year absence, Doctor Who proved to be a ratings success on its return in March.  A 13-part series, including the K9 episode, will follow a Christmas special.  The Cybermen will return in the new series, which will also see the Doctor and Rose meet Queen Victoria and an evil race of Cat Women.  One episode will be written by comedian Stephen Fry, while The League of Gentleman star Mark Gatiss will once again contribute to the writing._41340865_tennant_203.jpg
    unitedkingdom.png
    I was never really a fan of K9, so I feel rather indifferent to this news.

I see the article referred to Mickey as one of the Doctor's current sidekicks. This seems to indicate that he has joined the crew of the Tardis, at least for the early episodes.
    edited September 2005
    You know, I really don't think I'll like Mickey travelling with the Doctor. He asks too many questions.
    That shall be interesting though. I've only really seen of the old episodes, Peter Davison onwards. I saw only Tom Baker's last 2 stories.
    Though if I could pick anyone they would bring back, I'd rather it be the the Brigadier. :D I get the feeling the first thing he'd say would be, "Good Heavens!"
    Anyway, a couple more enjoyable pictures of K9. I like the latter best.
    k9_02.jpg[img=http://www.bbc.co.ukdoctorwho/gallery/k9/1024/k9_05.jpg]And if you go here:[/img]http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/classic/clips/fourth.shtml there’s a clip of it. But I can’t remember which one. If anyone find out, please tell me; it’s a rather amusing clip. :))
    I found it! Scroll down to The Sun makers, then click on Check mates. Also, WOW! I didn't think those pictures would turn out so big! :))
    Anyway, after looking through nearly every clip there, I finally managed to find it. And there's a lot of clips there compared with some of the other Doctor's! But of course it would make sense as he did do around 42 stories. I just my hard work is appreciated! :) I've been putting off my desert for that! :)) Hope you enjoy the clip. :)
    edited September 2005
    It's seems so long since anyone has posted in this topic. :( It has been less than a month really... but it seems ages. Probably because I'm back at school now and the days go by so slowly and I just want the weekend to come. And when it does, it's full of homework! :(
    I know there hasn't exactly been much news in the who universe recently, so that's probably been the reason for our abscence. There is news, but it's nothing really concerning the new seris. But I do have some titles that have been anounced for episodes in the new seris! :D

POSSIBLE SPOILERS

Episode 1: Unknown
    Unfortunately episode 1 has yet to be named, but it will see the return of Cassandra, from The End of the World, and we'll be finding out just how evil she really is. :v

Episode 2: Tooth and Claw
    Nothing really I know about this, except that it will be written by Russel T Davies and directed by a guy called Euros Llyn.

Episode 3: School Reunion
    This episode is to see the return of Sarah Jane and K9 Mark 3. I don’t know if any of you guys were around to remember either of them, but they’re coming back… whether you like it or not! :))

Episode 4: Unknown
    Practically zilch I know about this! It’s to be written by Steven Moffat and directed by the same guy as before.

Episodes 5 & 6: Unknown
    Unfortunately I don’t know much about these episodes either. They’re to be a 2 parter and are to feature the Cybermen. But don’t take my word on it, as nothing has been officially announced at the BBC website about that, which seems pretty unusual, as they usually do announce most things like that. :s

Episode 7: Unknown
    Even less known about this episode, except that it’s to written by Mark Gatiss

Episodes 8 & 9: The Satan Pit/ Unknown
    Once again, not much I can tell you about these episodes, except that they’re to be written by a guy called Matt Jones.

Episode 10: Unknown
    Unfortunately, all I know about this episode is that it’s to be written by Russel T Davies.

Episode 11: Unknown
    Once again, I don’t know anything really about this episode, except that it’s the episode to be written by Stephen Fry. There was quite a lot of fuss, when I was mentioned that he was going to write and episode, but could someone please tell me who he is exactly? :?) Because, even though I’ve heard of him before, I don’t really know anything whatsoever about him! :?)

Episodes 12 & 13: Army of Ghosts/ Unknown
    Finally, we have another 2 parter for the finale! :d I don’t know if you consider that good or bad. I think it’s good, because if you see episode 12, and they leave you on another major cliff hanger, then there’s no chance you’re going to miss the final episode. :D Only thing I can tell about these episodes are that they’re to be written by Russel T Davies. But the title really raises some questions. Such as: Who are the ghosts?

All of this information was obtained from Issue 361 of Doctor Who Magazine. Except for the tip on Cybermen from episodes 5 & 6. The story order and titles are subject to change.

END POSSIBLE SPOILERS

So what are your thoughts and have you given any other thoughts previously to the new seris? For anyone who cares, I am still setting my alarm and getting up early every weekend mornings, just to watch old episodes of Doctor Who. :D
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    I seem to remember to read (possibly on this thread?) that the first episode of the new series will be a sort of Christmas episode. Will it be the actual FIRST episode, or is it an "unnumbered" special? Or was the whole Christmas plot idea ditched?
    I think it's meant to be an unumbered special. Yes it is still going ahead, I've got an article with a picture on it showing one of the 'killer Santa Claus''. It's like one of those things people put on their lawns at Christmas, with all the lights. It has a little trumpet, which is actually a flamethrower. It look sto be an interesting Special. :D
    We'll certainly see what Rose and the Doctor think, when they realise they've left Jack behind, and what Rose thinks of the new Doctor! :D
    Captain Jack won't be returning unfortunately :) ... until seris 3 at least! :D It was stated in this article:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/cult/news/drwho/2005/09/13/24581.shtml
    Ow... That means the new season will be 14 episodes long, meaning they won't fit onto one disc, meaning... ah, forget it. :p

One minor question. As peripherical as it sounds, were there ever Dr. Who sountracks released? As a major score buff, I look for stuff like that, but I've only found John Debney's score (probably the only decent movie he did between Cutthroat Island and The Passion) to the 1996 movie, which is very good and he orchestrated the main title theme. Were there any releases to the series? And what about a release to the new series? It had some bloody good music, especially in the episodes featuring the Aliens.
    The Cat wrote:
    Were there any releases to the series?
    Several have been released by the BBC, most of which can be found on the following list...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/search-handle-form/026-0946792-7606015
    unitedkingdom.png
    That page told me error. :( But I went to amazon and did a search, but the best things it can offer are audio books. But I do know about a 25th anniversary release, it's just rather rare to track down. Onto a new mission, I guess. :p
    I did a search on Amazon UK for Doctor Who Soundtrack and came up with maybe 10 or so, most did say "Limited availability" but they were soundtrack CDs.
    unitedkingdom.png
    John Barrowman is to star as Captain Jack Harkness in a new 13 part science fiction Doctor Who spin-off called Torchwood.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4349120.stm
    I'm looking forward to that actually. I liked Captain Jack and was deeply disappionted when I found out he wouldn't be in the next series. This is something at least and I'm sure I'll enjoy it. :)
    edited October 2005
    Doctor Who won all three National Television Awards it was nominated for in last night's ceremony at the Royal Albert Hall, making it the biggest winner of the night. Voted for by the British public, rather than a panel of judges, the awards picked up were:

Most Popular Actor: Christopher Eccleston (as the Doctor)
    Most Popular Actress: Billie Piper (as Rose Tyler)
    Most Popular Drama: Doctor Who

More on this story can be found here
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4375540.stm

And for the rest of the winners
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4376854.stm
    unitedkingdom.png
    Yes! Woohoo! I am proud to say I was one of those voters!! :D
    edited October 2005
    In today's Daily Mail Weekend magazine John Barrowman is interviewed by Bill Penrose. Naturally, the subject of Doctor Who is raised.

Barrowman's first day's work involved a romantic scene with Billie Piper, who played Rose, the Doctor's assistant. Naturally, he says, Billie was thrilled to see him. "Billie told me later that when I arrived it was like a breath of fresh air on the set," Barrowman confides. "She said, you made it fun again."

If the fun had gone missing from Doctor Who, that might have been because it's star, Christopher Eccleston, had already secretly decided to quit. "None of us knew that Chris wanted to leave. We had no clue. I later found out that, by the time I got there, he had already decided not to do another series and the BBC were trying to deal with that. I don't know if Billie knew. She never showed it if she did.

You have to respect someone's decision. If they wanna go, they wanna go - you can't stop them. But when we were filming every day, we had no idea that Chris wasn't enjoying it. Whatever problems he was having, though, when he came on set he was fine, and he did his job."

MNL John Barrowman also reveals his experiences as an extra on the set of The Untouchables.

"I was in The Untouchables. Well, my bottom was. I'd just signed with a modelling agency in Chicago and they asked if I'd do a day's work as an extra in Chicago, where it was being filmed. Sean Connery, Kevin Costner... all the stars were there. The film crew and the people in the principle roles treated the rest of us like dirt. I remember Sean Connery ordering us, "Don't look at me!" I was a huge fan of his. But that day I became his biggest un-fan. (MNL Well, maybe the second biggest un-fan after M5 :D)

"I actually walked off during the lunch break. Everyone had been screaming at the extras, and I'd had enough. So I said to the first assistant director, "I'm going home." She said, "You can't go home." I said, "Watch me. Bye-Bye!" Needless to say, I never got asked to be an extra again. But my behind did make it to the screen in one of the few scenes I did in The Untouchables - it's a shot in the police academy. My mother recognised it right away!"
    news from the bbc is the christmas invasion will be here on da big crimbo day itself! Get lost nan! No queens speech this year! :D
    New design Cyberman is revealed

The first pictures of the redesigned Cybermen have been released ahead of the sci-fi villains' return in the new series of Doctor Who.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4426416.stm

MNL I prefer the old style Cyberman head, but the rest of the body looks impressive enough.
    I agree MNL. But I preferred the old chest part.
    I like this new on enough though. It seems much more modern and it has a certain intimading look about it. :v :))
    I take it you meant the '80s design? I hope the voices aren't like the '60s ones. Cus when I was watching them on my 'Lost in Time' DVD, I couldn't tell what they were saying half the time! :)) However, with the '80s ones, I really liked the Cyberleaders voice.
    Also, am I the only one who really liked the music in 'Attack of the Cybermen'?
    edited November 2005
    I'll be the dissenter and say I far prefer the new style. There was a much larger picture of it in the paper yesterday, and it's creepy. The face has more, I dunno, a look that sort of bores through you. Blank emotion, I suppose.

Even if you prefer the older style, if you need any proof that the new ones are chilling, just check out the revamped homepage:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/
    unitedkingdom.png
  • TiMe_LiNeTiMe_LiNe Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    I rely wont to talk to a doctor who fan I love doctor who like the old ones it on mon to thus evey weak and its up to the 5th doc with Tegan and the red haed guy please reply it would be heaps cool to talk to somone who like whaching it if u have msn that would me great well I hope somone with reply bye
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,885Chief of Staff
    Well, I rather like the new Cyberman design--I always thought the original face was a bit too cute (sort of like a happy face with a straight expression) and, of course, the original body looks like a tinfoil jumpsuit. . .which it probably was. The new face has an appropriately cadavarous look, and the new body is more plausibly robotic. . .if too reminiscent of Iron Man. . .or the Tin Man of Oz!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    BBC shrugs off Piper 'quit' story

The BBC has declined to comment on reports that actress Billie Piper is to leave sci-fi drama Doctor Who at the end of the next series.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4431260.stm
    So who thinks she'll leave?
    I'm still undeicded on what I really think she'll do.
    Well, I will be surprised if Billie Piper stays on for a third series. She is a talented actress, and potentially has a successful career ahead of her. So, it would probably be in her best interest to leave Doctor Who before she becomes too typecast.

Filming Doctor Who is also very demanding on the lead actor/actress as it takes almost nine months to complete, which leaves little time for them to do anything else before the next series starts filming.