The return of Doctor Who (SPOILERS)

Comments

• FelixLeiter ♀FelixLeiter ♀ Staffordshire or a pubPosts: 1,286MI6 Agent
    Right, everyone's in full Christmas spirit here at ajb. The 'Merry Christmas' thread is definite evidence of that. :D So now there's only one more day to go until the big day and 'The Christmas Invasion' is shown.
    David Tennant was on Jonathon Ross last night and they showed a clip of it. It was bloody fantastic! :o I'm also incredibly jealous of Jonathon Ross as he already has a Dalek toy. :))
    I've seen an advert for it on TV as well and I'm just as excited about it now as I am Christmas itself. :)
    It only has a Fear Factor of 3 though.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/cult/news/drwho/2005/12/22/28415.shtml

So not totally boring and resembling shows for 3 year olds in ways, but not too scary either so no fear of being ill after your Christmas lunch. :))
    I'll be hopefully sitting with my Dalek toy watching it with my mom, dad, brother and grandparents. After half an hour it'll be the same as usual and only my dad and I will still be awake. :))

I think I read somewhere there'll be a repeat on New Years Day but I could be wrong. :#

Merry Christmas everyone! I probably won't be here for a few days - who wants the Internet Christmas when you've got new toys, as well as family and friends round? But I'll be back at some point to post my thoughts about the Christmas special (is that how you spell special?).

I hope you all enjoy it and have a great Christmas with lots of gifts, family and friends. :)
    Relax darling, I'm on top of the situation -{
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited December 2005
    Well, only Eastenders managed to attract more viewers than Doctor Who: The Christmas Invasion on Christmas Day in the UK! Eastenders managed 11m, while David Tennant's first go at the TARDIS drew in 9.8m viewers.

Thoroughly enjoyable romp, though I don't quite know what to make of the new Doctor. Trouble is, we don't know what kind of a man he is yet, and he even says so. Despite the fact he spends most of the programme asleep and in his pyjamas, what we do see is, well, interesting. He's got the humour in the right places, but he can also appear downright scary.

The spinning killer Christmas tree ripping it's way through Rose's mum's flat, while playing Jingle Bells at full blast, was rather creepy.

Interesting that the closing scene, the big moral question over whether it was right for the Prime Minister to destroy a retreating, yet highly dangerous and untrustworthy warship, was left for the viewer to decide (General Belgrano, anyone?). The Doctor said there'd be more where they came from, that they'd spread the word of earth, and the Sycorax Chief did immediately go back on his word after the Doctor beat him in the duel. And though the Doctor's rage at the decision ("That was murder") was understandable, so was the PM's response ("That was defence. You're not always here to protect us, Doctor.")

Now we know what Torchwood, the spin-off series will be about then, considering it's a bloody great big alien weapon weilded by the United Kingdom!!! :o

Nice touch of having UNIT based in the Tower of London too! :D

But didn't the 2006 preview look fantastic??? K-9, Sarah Jane Smith, Queen Victoria, Cybermen, and that rather sinister character Anthony Head is playing! :o
    unitedkingdom.png
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    Sorry to be a killjoy, but I didn't think a lot of The Christmas Invasion. Much of it felt like Aliens Of London/World War III re-visited. And am I the only one who is getting tired of all the Doctor/Rose/Rose's Mum/Mickey domestics?

I did enjoy the spinning Christmas tree and the sequence involving Torchwood and the Doctor's reaction to it's use against the retreating Sycorax ship, but little else. The Doctor is asleep for a good deal of the episode and is finally awoken in the Tardis by spilt tea. He then dismisses the Sycorax threat in no time at all by taking on their leader in a swordfight....Yawn!

As for David Tennant? There were promising signs, but it's too early to judge if he will be as good as his predecessor Christopher Eccleston.
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    I can't really comment on the Christmas Invasion as it will take me some time to... khm... obtain this episode. What I've seen so far of Tennant was that ten minute short that aired during that charity program thingy, and I must say I was rather unimpressed. First of all - and I know no sane British person would care about this - but it was very hard for me to understand half the line Tennant said - Ecclestone had a marvelous voice and I could understood him easily. The only other thing I remember from the charity short is when Tennant's Doctor... how should I say... went ape. I really didn't know what to make out of that (is it a natural consequence of the re-vialization or what?) and I felt it to be some sort of attempt to capture the energy of Ecclestone within the limits of a ten-minute show. And after first viewing, I'll just wonder about what Rose asked - could you change back? :p I can only hope Christmas Invasion or the proper season start will blow my head off...
    The Cat wrote:
    I can't really comment on the Christmas Invasion as it will take me some time to... khm... obtain this episode. What I've seen so far of Tennant was that ten minute short that aired during that charity program thingy, and I must say I was rather unimpressed. First of all - and I know no sane British person would care about this - but it was very hard for me to understand half the line Tennant said - Ecclestone had a marvelous voice and I could understood him easily. The only other thing I remember from the charity short is when Tennant's Doctor... how should I say... went ape. I really didn't know what to make out of that (is it a natural consequence of the re-vialization or what?) and I felt it to be some sort of attempt to capture the energy of Ecclestone within the limits of a ten-minute show. And after first viewing, I'll just wonder about what Rose asked - could you change back? :p I can only hope Christmas Invasion or the proper season start will blow my head off...

Well, Cat. The approx ten minute short was aired as part of the BBC's annual Children In Need appeal. It carried on from where the previous series ended. I am surprised you found it hard to understand much of what Tennant was saying, to me it was no problem. However, if he had spoken in his natural Scots accent then I might have had the same problem as you. :D

As for Tennant's Doctor going ape? It was a natural consequence of the Doctor's re-generation.

And as for Rose asking if he could change back? :p She definitely wanted the old Doctor back, at least to begin with. At one point in The Christmas Invasion she even referred to Tennant's incarnation as not being the proper Doctor. However, by the end of the episode her attitude had changed and she readily accepted the re-generated Doctor's invitation to travel with him in the Tardis.
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    Well, Cat. The approx ten minute short was aired as part of the BBC's annual Children In Need appeal. It carried on from where the previous series ended. I am surprised you found it hard to understand much of what Tennant was saying, to me it was no problem. However, if he had spoken in his natural Scots accent then I might have had the same problem as you. :D

Well, I generally have more problem understanding British English than American English. I've got numerous English programs recorded and there are very few which I could understood 100% the first time I saw them - one example is Red Dwarf. I never had a problem understanding American programs (unless somebody's saying something with deliberately thick accent), but basically every other British program contains at least one character because of whom I must rewind the movie numerous times. Too bad it was a main character this time. :p
    As for Tennant's Doctor going ape? It was a natural consequence of the Doctor's re-generation.

I thought there would be some logic behind this. I've only... "obtained" Tom Baker seasons so far (which I enjoy a lot BTW) and I've never seen any other regeneration sequence apart from the Ecclestone - Tennant one. Too bad Ecclestone didn't have one, some of Tennant's antics could have made more sense for rookies. :p
    By the end of the episode her attitude had changed and she readily accepted the re-generated Doctor's invitation to travel with him in the Tardis.

Duh... How would they make a whole new season with out that? :p
    Sorry to be a killjoy, but I didn't think a lot of The Christmas Invasion. Much of it felt like Aliens Of London/World War III re-visited. And am I the only one who is getting tired of all the Doctor/Rose/Rose's Mum/Mickey domestics?

I didn't really think all that much of it either. I was really syked about it but found it rather boring that the Doctor was asleep through most of it. :#
    But when he did wake up, I thought he was great. The Ninth Doctor was good and the tenth seems pretty good so far too.
    He's still got his humor and 'fantastic', though I have a feeling he'll probably have a new 'word' soon. He also seems rather dark and a bit... frightening, sort of. And I like that too. :) He can't be the same as the previous Doctor, but he's getting on almost as good so far. :)
    And MNL, you're not the only one getting fed up of all the Doctor/Rose/Rose's Mum/Mickey domestics. Just leave it as the Doctor and Rose IMO for most of the time. :) I also hate Harriet Jones. X-( I just do.

I enjoyed the clip too of the new series - I was hoping they'd show one. :) And it does look pretty good. :) K9! :D I can't wait! :)

P.S. By about 2:30 approx today, the batteries of my Dalek were officially exhausted. :( It had exterminated 8 people and terrified many others, as well as causing the breaking of a light bulb. :)) It was my brother's fault! :))
    edited December 2005
    The Cat wrote:
    Well, I generally have more problem understanding British English than American English. I've got numerous English programs recorded and there are very few which I could understood 100% the first time I saw them - one example is Red Dwarf. I never had a problem understanding American programs (unless somebody's saying something with deliberately thick accent), but basically every other British program contains at least one character because of whom I must rewind the movie numerous times. Too bad it was a main character this time. :p

I can understand why you do have problems regarding British English. In Britain we do have some regionally thick accents which include the Scots, Welsh, Northern Irish, Scouse (Liverpool area), Geordie (Newcastle area), Brummie (Birmingham area) amongst others.
    The Cat wrote:
    I thought there would be some logic behind this. I've only... "obtained" Tom Baker seasons so far (which I enjoy a lot BTW) and I've never seen any other regeneration sequence apart from the Ecclestone - Tennant one. Too bad Ecclestone didn't have one, some of Tennant's antics could have made more sense for rookies. :p

Tom Baker is regarded by many as the best Doctor Who. Whilst he is not my personal favourite, that honour goes to Jon Pertwee, there's no doubt that Baker was very good. If you get the chance I highly recommend many of the episodes/stories that are available from the William Hartnell/Patrick Troughton/Jon Pertwee years. I have only recently begun to see episodes/stories from the Hartnell/Troughton years thanks to the DVD releases and I found many of them to be surprisingly good.

As for the Christopher Eccleston/David Tennant re-generation? To be honest, I didn't like it very much. My favourite re-generation is the original one from William Hartnell to Patrick Troughton. The re-generation is about the only thing that survives from that particular episode. As you may know over 100 episodes from the Hartnell/Troughton years still remain missing from the BBC archives.
    edited January 2006
    There is a new theme arrangement for 2006! I did think it sounded rather more orchestral during the "2006 series preview" at the end of The Christmas Invasion, now icwales has confirmed the BBC National Orchestra of Wales has recorded the soundtrack for the new series, and the BBC Doctor Who website itself has this brief report on "The New Theme"...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/doctorwho/news/cult/news/drwho/2006/01/03/28476.shtml
    Including the bit you might not have heard before.

Many people call it the "middle 8". Musicians call it the "b part" and some of you simply know it as "the bit the announcer talked over".

Now we're giving you the chance to hear Murray Gold's beautiful new arrangement of the Doctor Who theme with its re-instated b part, courtesy of the BBC Wales Orchestra.

Please note that for copyright reasons, we can only let you have a 30-second snippet.
    unitedkingdom.png
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    FROSTY wrote:
    Russell T. Davies (supposedly) doesn't actually like Sci-Fi, and doesn't really "understand" it.

Russell T Davies is a huge sci-fi fan. Leaving aside the fact that he was a Doctor Who fan since he was very small, he has often talked about his love of modern sci-fi tv such as the new Battlestar Galactica and Firefly. And he is apparently an obsessive Buffy fan. Certainly he has been a regular in the pages of SFX magazine!

I think where this perception comes from is that he's not keen on the Star Trek-type sci-fi; a more technology based world, one where technobabble exists at the core. He wants this Doctor Who to be more emotional and passionate.

And p.s. on the music: I was so annoyed when the announcer gabbed all over the end credits of The Christmas Invasion, when you could quite clearly hear it was a different mix! It's far more epic sounding now (the BBC are clearly more willing to spend some cash on it ;) ) - but when are they going to release a soundtrack?
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
    edited January 2006
    but when are they going to release a soundtrack?
    I would imagine sometime in 2006. If the BBC NOW has recorded the soundtrack to the next series in closed sessions, and is having a Doctor Who Confidential episode devoted to it, logic would suggest it's going to go commercial. We can but hope.

http://www.artswales.org.uk/pressoffice/newsdetail.asp?newsid=295

BBC NATIONAL ORCHESTRA OF WALES CREATE THE SOUNDTRACK FOR THE NEW DOCTOR WHO SERIES

The BBC National Orchestra of Wales are proud to announce that they have been performing and recording the soundtrack for the new Doctor Who series to be broadcast next year and the music for the Christmas Special to be broadcast on Christmas Day.

The Orchestra recorded the music in closed sessions during November at Studio 1 at the BBC in Cardiff conducted by Ben Foster. The sessions were attended and produced by the programme’s music composer Murray Gold who also arranged the new version of the Doctor Who soundtrack.

Murray Gold was delighted with the way the recording had gone and said “The BBC National Orchestra of Wales is the best orchestra I’ve recorded with”.

Director of BBC NOW, David Murray said “We are thrilled that the Orchestra was invited to record the soundtrack for this special programme and to be associated with this excellent BBC Wales series. As well as being tremendously exciting for the players and the BBC NOW team, the opportunity to perform a different style of music helps to showcase the diversity of the Orchestra.”

The invitation to the BBC National Orchestra of Wales to record the soundtrack came from BBC Wales. “BBC Wales Drama Department has always wanted to work with the celebrated BBC NOW. The ambitious musical demands of Doctor Who presented just such an occasion. Once we had been able to make our schedules work, we brought together The Doctor and The Orchestra, two of BBC Wales most famous products.” Helen Vallis, Doctor Who Production Executive.

The recording sessions will be featured on BBC 3 on Doctor Who Confidential to be shown when the new series goes on air in the New Year.

For further information on the BBC National Orchestra of Wales visit bbc.co.uk/now.
    unitedkingdom.png
    Bad news for Who fans in the US and Canada.

From Outpost Gallifrey

North American New Series DVD's Delayed

For reasons that have yet to be made clear, the release of the Series One Boxed Set in the US and Canada, originally scheduled for February 14 as announced by both the official Doctor Who website and Doctor Who Magazine, has been postponed. No explanation has been given, but Warner Home Video, the distributors of the discs, had not released any information on their distributors' site, and inquiries to BBC Video have gone unanswered. The TV Shows on DVD website reports that they were informed by a BBC PR rep that there were "complications" with the set. We hope to have more information about a rescheduled date on this soon.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,886Chief of Staff
    My father--who heard this on that bizarre "Coast to Coast" radio show--tipped me off to this story, which should amuse and delight all you Whovians:

DR WHO FANS GO PSYCHIC

By LACHLAN CARTWRIGHT

BARMY fans of Doctor Who want to hire a psychic to track down missing episodes of the hit show.

More than 100 programs of the sci-fi classic are lost and now fans are turning to out of this world powers to locate them.

Fan Martin Brown said: "If people can use psychics to reunite family with deceased loved ones then it is quite conceivable we can use a psychic to track down these missing episodes.

"These shows are important to the heritage of Dr Who."

. . .The missing tapes of the cult classic date from 1964-1969 when William Hartnell and Patrick Troughton played the doc.

The episodes were wiped by the BBC in the mid-seventies along with dozens of other old television favourites.

But duplicates of the shows were distributed to TV stations overseas and Dr Who die-hards hope psychic powers will help locate them.

Fans believe their treasure may be discovered in the Middle East or Asia.

The last returned episode was recovered in England in 2004 by an ex-employee of the BBC.

. . .The fans want to get Derek Acorah from psychic TV show Most Haunted to use his powers to help in the search.

Acorah is rumoured to be making a guest appearance in an upcoming episode of the new series of Dr Who on the BBC in April.

The entire story can be found on The Sun's website. And we all know how reliable that is, don't we? :007)
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    I still hope it's true. :D And it works. :D It would be great if some of those episodes were returned. Sure using a phsycic is a bit barmy and a bit unreliable - but why not give it a shot! It'll narrow down a few ways of finding them at the least. :))
    Great News (I hope) for Hardyboy, Alex, and all Who fans in the US.

This probably explains why the DVD release date has been delayed.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/wales/4607966.stm

American opening for Doctor Who

The revamped adventures of BBC Wales' Doctor Who are to be seen by sci-fi fans in America, it has been announced.

The first series of the cult programme starring Christopher Eccleston and Billie Piper is to be screened by the American Sci Fi Channel.

The screening deal was confirmed by the US channel and BBC Worldwide Americas on Thursday.

Welcoming the deal, Sci Fi Channel's Thomas P Vitale said Doctor Who was a "true sci-fi classic."

The Sci Fi Channel has been granted the first-run rights for the series of Doctor Who written and executive produced by Russell T Davies.

The series attracted huge ratings and received critical acclaim when it was screened in the UK last spring.

The channel also has an option on the second series, in which David Tennant takes over the time travelling adventurer's title role from Eccleston.

Tennant made his debut in the Doctor Who Christmas special - one of the big hitting programmes of Christmas Day.

The award winning Eccleston series will premiere on the Sci Fi Channel in March.

Mr Vitale said: "With its rich history of imaginitive storytelling, Doctor Who is a true sci-fi classic. We're excited to add the show to our line up.

Candace Carlisle, from BBC Worldwide Americas, said: "The new production has fantastic storylines and production values and has already gained an iconic status around the world.

"Sci Fi Channel is the perfect home for the show and will introduce Doctor Who to a whole new generation of fans in the US."
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,886Chief of Staff
    Yippeeee! The Sci-Fi Channel is a basic cable service, so I'll get to see it! I'm a happy man indeed. Thanks for the heads-up, MNL!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    I'm so glad you'll now get to enjoy the pleasures like the rest of us. :)
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Yippeeee! The Sci-Fi Channel is a basic cable service, so I'll get to see it! I'm a happy man indeed. Thanks for the heads-up, MNL!

Hardy, I am delighted that you will finally be able to see the new Doctor Who. And I hope that it gives you the same pleasure as it did to me, M5, Felix and many many others.

I await your comments with interest.
    edited February 2006
    The interactive episode Attack of The Graske, broadcast on digital after The Christmas Invasion by accessing the BBCi menu, is now available online at the official website.

However, it's only available to those in the UK. The "episode" sees the viewer as the companion, and all is seen in first person with the Doctor talking to you and setting you numerous simple tasks.

It's obviously aimed at children, but interesting nonetheless to see more of Tennant as the Doctor, a new alien and a clip of the "new theme" at the end.
    unitedkingdom.png
    Well that was brilliant! :D
    I missed the chance on Christmas Day and New Years Day and that was fantastic!
    He told me to duck though and I did! :))
    I like the quip about ITV at the end. :))
    Right if my teacher asks me why my homework isn't done it's because I was time travelling with the Doctor. :)) He hit the wrong co ordinates so we came back too late. :)) Wonder if she might buy it - she is a little alien herself. :))
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    From Outpost Gallifrey.

Doctor Who on Orange Mobile

Today the Orange mobile phone company announced that customers would soon be able to experience wireless access to a range of popular BBC television programmes, including (classic-series) Doctor Who.

From this month, Orange World users will be able to watch video clips of classic scenes and use famous catchphrases from the shows as ringtones. Images of characters from the shows can also be used as wallpaper for phones.

For the full article.
    http://www.gallifreyone.com/news.php#newsitemEEFAuEkWlqJEpairh
    edited February 2006
    From Outpost Gallifrey.

The US based Sci-Fi Channel has made a sudden change to its schedule for the premiere date of the new series on March 17th: not one but two episodes will screen that night. Now scheduled at 9pm on Friday, March 17th is Rose (episode 1) with The End of the World (episode 2) scheduled at 10pm the same night. Both episodes then repeat at 11pm and midnight, respectively, as well as at 11pm and midnight on Sunday, March 19th.

From today's Sun Newspaper.

Babs serves Dr Who as Tardis lands in Enders

EXCLUSIVE by SARA NATHAN, TV Editor

DOCTOR Who is to land in Eastenders - and be served pints in the Queen Vic by Peggy Mitchell.

The telly Timelord, played by David Tennant, will touch down his time-travelling Tardis in Albert Square in the new series of the BBC sci-fi hit.

Landlady Peggy - 68 year old actress Barbara Windsor - will pop up behind the bar, while other EastEnders stars could also appear.

An insider said: "The Doctor and his sidekick Rose (Billie Piper) have travelled galaxies far and wide and battled vile aliens, but they've never come up against Peggy Mitchell.

"Who knows whether she'll unleash her boys Grant and Phil on them - or treat them to pie and mash?

"The funniest thing is she'll be calling 'Time' to the original Timelord."

Dr Who bosses are keeping details of the EastEnders episode under wraps, but it is thought it will also feature the Abzorbaloff, a creature created by a Blue Peter viewer.

A source close to Babs said: "She's thrilled. She's a very big fan of Doctor Who and feels very honoured."
    oh I can't wait till next month's DWM. It's gonna have a load in cus I've been to the website and there's some great stuff on Torchwood and other stuff! :D
    From Outpost Gallifrey.

K9 and Sarah Jane Spinoff?

The Sun today reports that K9 and Sarah Jane Smith will appear in their own spin-off series, following their appearances in Series Two next month. The only additional information in the Sun story is a comment from a BBC spokeswoman refusing to comment ('We are not confirming any developments at this moment'), although Russell T Davies has commented in interviews that there are ideas for a second spin-off series after Torchwood.
    Again??? They'll get dizzy! ;)
    unitedkingdom.png
    From Outpost Gallifrey.

The Sun today reports that K9 and Sarah Jane Smith will appear in their own spin-off series, following their appearances in Series Two next month. The only additional information in the Sun story is a comment from a BBC spokeswoman refusing to comment ('We are not confirming any developments at this moment'), although Russell T Davies has commented in interviews that there are ideas for a second spin-off series after Torchwood.

Here is the link to the Sun's article.
    http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2001320029-2006100483,00.html
    Comic Peter Kay joins Doctor Who

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4785276.stm

Award-winning comedian Peter Kay is to star as a villain in the new series of Doctor Who on BBC One.

Kay - whose TV credits include Phoenix Nights and a stint in Coronation Street - will play powerful Victor Kennedy.

The role came about after the 32-year-old comic wrote a fan letter to Doctor Who writer Russell T Davies.

The series - to be screened on BBC One in the spring - sees David Tennant take over the role of Doctor Who from Christopher Eccleston.

Davies said Kay will be taking on a serious role.

"We are delighted to welcome Peter onboard the Tardis," he said.

"Casting of Peter came about after he wrote me the most brilliant letter to say how much he'd enjoyed series one of Doctor Who.

"From that point on we started talking about a guest appearance."

Kay, who has had straight roles in Paul Abbott's Butterfly Collectors and The Secret Life of Michael Fry, will appear in episode 10 of the new series, which also stars Billie Piper.

He joins an array of actors who have already signed up to the series including Only Fools And Horses' Roger Lloyd-Pack, Pauline Collins, Anthony Head, Maureen Lipman, and former EastEnders actress Tracy-Ann Oberman.
    unitedkingdom.png
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,750MI6 Agent
    Ah- very interesting news! The Who boards have had rumours of an interesting new guest star for a while now- must have been him!
    I'm no big fan of Kay's, so I'm not going to celebrate, but I'm sure he'll be good in the role as he's a decent actor.
    Can't wait to tell my mates that - they'll definitely watch the series now - all if I don't say which episode he's gonna be in.
    Ah - it gets better and better - especially with only around about a month to go till the second series starts showing. :D