The return of Doctor Who (SPOILERS)

Comments

• FelixLeiter ♀FelixLeiter ♀ Staffordshire or a pubPosts: 1,286MI6 Agent
    Another Saturday night gone without the pleasures of Doctor Who. I was about to die of boredom. But in the end I ended up watching my volume 2 DVD, while sleeping over at my mate's house. I think she's decided that she likes Daleks. :D
    Relax darling, I'm on top of the situation -{
  • Hells AngelHells Angel Posts: 36MI6 Agent
    I was bored too, but then I started playing on that BBC Dalek game thing with my mate and she said that Daleks were cute! I just laughed! anyways I ended up watching I DVD I bought and then a bit of Live 8.
    edited July 2005
    I love that game! I've completed it twice so it gets a bit boring now. They need to make one for PS2 and things. It'd rock!
    I watched the end of Live 8 after watching the Doctor Who DVD. I just got to see Paul McCartney singing 'Hey Jude'.
    At the moment I'm looking at places on the Internet, where I can purchase some of the old epsiodes cheap, that I've missed because of my dad's rugby. I can't find the ones I want!
    They are:
    Terminus
    King's Demons
    The Five Doctors
    The Awakening
    Planet of Fire
    The Twin Dilema
    I know most of them are only available on VHS but I'm still looking for those available on DVD.
    If anyone knows anywhere, please tell me.
    Thanks.
    edited July 2005
    I'm sure I saw most of them in HMV (remember seeing that Planet Of Fire one I think) yesterday but they were all £19.99, so gonna have to spend alot of cash to get them all!
    I too wish that they'd bring a Dr. Who game out for PS2!
    I went to ebay! I won a signed DVD. One of the old ones - Resurrection of the Daleks. I know I didn't put that on my list but I meant to. I'm going to try and convince my dad to let me bid some more! :D
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    Apparently David Tennant has signed a £500k deal to commit him to three series. However, he's being out-paid by his co-star, Billie Piper. She's reported to be being paid £210k per episode, compared to David Tennant's £166k.

As filming for the second series begins on August 1st, rumours are rife that K9 and Elizabeth Sladen, playing Sarah Jane, will make an appearance in at least one episode.

The whole series is being repeated on BBC3 from Saturday 16th July, 7.45pm, followed by the Doctor Who Confidential programmes, which is ideal for me because I missed one of the latter :)
    unitedkingdom.png
    I'm so glad your back here M5. It's been a while since you visited. I'm suspecting that you're going to keep us to date with all this new information, as you did before. It's great to have you here and to know it won't be all that easy to get this topic onto the second page. :D
    ooo glad that the whole series is being repeated, (missed one of the eps) also, more of an excuse for me to watch Dr. Who again!
  • Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,472MI6 Agent
    Is Piper returning in the second series?

I'll be watching the repeats too!
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    Is Piper returning in the second series?

Yes, Billie Piper will be appearing in the Xmas special and all of the second series.
  • Tilly Masterson 007Tilly Masterson 007 UKPosts: 1,472MI6 Agent
    Great!!

I like her playing Rose, great that she will be back for another series.
    ooo glad that the whole series is being repeated, (missed one of the eps) also, more of an excuse for me to watch Dr. Who again!

I'll be a sado and watch the old ones on UKGold. They're shown over 2 hours, combining 4 episodes. When I see where the breaks are, I feel so sorry for the people who watched them when they were originally on TV. I go mad when I just have to wait a couple of minutes for what's going to happen next.

I found an amusing little line on the website the other day. It's from Season 5, and titled 'The Abominable Snowmen'. It's a Patrick Troughton one and the line is in part 4.

The Doctor and Jamie are talking about the Yeti, that's guarding the TARDIS. The Doctor and Jamie are hiding behind a rock. The Doctor stands up, in full view of the one Yeti. Jamie is shocked.

Just for your benefit, I'll tell you that Jamie talks with a Scotish accent.

Jamie: Have you thought up some clever plan, Doctor?
    Doctor: Yes, Jamie, I believe I have.
    Jamie: What are you going to do?
    Doctor: Bung a rock at it.

:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))
    Jamie: Have you thought up some clever plan, Doctor?
    Doctor: Yes, Jamie, I believe I have.
    Jamie: What are you going to do?
    Doctor: Bung a rock at it.

:)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :))
    Thats pretty funny :))

.... This thread is starting to dissappear!...

anwyays, I found this in the web
    http://artistic-insanity.net/song/daleksong.html

:)) can't remember where I found it, might have even been on this thread for all I know but oh well!
    That rocked! :)) I've added it to my favourites! :))
    My ebaying for Doctor Who videos and DVDs has become smaller.
    I am currently bidding successfully on: King's Demons. :D
    I'll be bidding later (when my dad comes back and I've discuused some complicated things with him) on Planet of Fire.
    I lost out at the last 5 seconds for The Awakening, so I'm going to be looking for another cheap one of them. In the from anything to £8 price range - including postage and packing.
    If anyone can help me, just post here or pm me. You're help would be appreciated a great deal! :)
    Right, we;ve slipped onto the second page so I thought I'd bring us a little news so as to help bring the topic back round.
    I've finished all me ebaying now, but I'm going to do some more, because when i go on holiday, it's not possible to tape all the ones I'm going to miss. I'm going to buy a trilogy set, then I only have to tape one of them. I just hope everythin goes to plan. :#
    I'm also going to bid on An Unearthly Child, which I'm interested in watching - seeing as I watched some black and white stuff today, and it didn't bother me at all.
    Anyway... the news I brought was about the Blue Peter competition! You may have or may not have heard about it, but from what I've heard, you get to vote on your favourite alien of from the new series. You can also design your own alien, which, if you win, will appear in the new second series! :D
    I myself am not entering, as making up an alien is far too dificult, and I prefer scaring my mates, by screaming EXTERMINATE! :)) I did it today, when we were in the changing rooms, and I seriously freaked everyone out! :))
    Right, we;ve slipped onto the second page so I thought I'd bring us a little news so as to help bring the topic back round.

I have some little titbits of information regarding the new series. According to Outpost Gallifrey, production was due to start today on series two.

Doctor Who magazine reports that David Tennant has been confirmed for series two and three.

Some likely titles for series two are:
    Episode 2: Tooth And Claw (Tentative)
    Episode 3: School Reunion
    Episode 8: The Satan Pit
    Episode 12: Army Of Ghosts
    Anyway... the news I brought was about the Blue Peter competition! You may have or may not have heard about it, but from what I've heard, you get to vote on your favourite alien of from the new series. You can also design your own alien, which, if you win, will appear in the new second series! :D
    I myself am not entering, as making up an alien is far too dificult, and I prefer scaring my mates, by screaming EXTERMINATE! :)) I did it today, when we were in the changing rooms, and I seriously freaked everyone out! :))
    :))
    I might enter the competition! you can win a remote controlled dalek! :D
    I like the sound of Episode 3: School Reunion. :)
    Anyway, I'm going to ask everyone a question. It seems like a pretty easy question for anyone, but think it through very carefully.
    If you could, would you travel with the Doctor in the TARDIS for the rest of your life?
    It sounds dead easy doesn't it? Of course you would! But think about all the consequences of what would change. What you would never be able to do again. What risks there would be.
    I have thought it through completely and I'd say yes.
    My life is so boring. I'm fat and ugly, hate very almost nearly everything at school, and most days feel like I want to kill my mom and brother! If I travelled with the Doctor, there's a large chance my life would be shortened considerably and I'd hardly ever be safe from danger. But I don't care! Most people would - but I wouldn't!
    My life on Earth will be long and pretty boring, as I'm sure my dreams will never come true. But if I travelled with the Doctor, my life would short, fun and exciting. And that's what matters. No matter how long your life is, it should be fun and exciting. :)
    What do you guys think?

Also, do you think I'm a bit off my rocker considering the following:
    I have at least 30 pictures of Daleks (most drawn be me) on my bedroom wall.
    I drew a Dalek and TARDIS for my work, during Art.
    I have a list of all ever epsiodes of Doctor Who, over my desk. *I printed them off the episode guide pages on the website, as I kept getting them mixed up, so decided to print them all off. It's very useful*
    I spent the time I was bored today, cutting out large letters to spell 'Doctor Who?', then stuck them on my wall, over the episdode guide pages.
    I bid on ebay for some of the '80s epsidoes.

So am I a sado who's completely obsessed?
    Completely obsessed?
    Just obsessed?
    Or am absolutely normal?
    I'm really not positive on the last option.
    edited July 2005
    Right this has been stuck in my head since Saturday at around 7:20am, so I'm just going to put it down here, then it will be out of my system (fingers crossed), you can coment on it if you like, and it will stop driving everyone saft - including me!

From The Two Doctors
    Season 22
    Staring Colin Baker and Patrick Troughton.

The 2nd Doctor (Patrick Troughton) arrived with Jamie on a Space Station and told him to just not say anything, and 'admire his diplomatic skills', as they go to talk to... this guy called Dastari. The Doctor's trying to convince him to stop some experiments his men are doing. Dastari isn't so easy to convince.

Something that might help is that Jamie is Scottish (as I said before on one of my quotes from him) and at the moment he's wearing a checkered kilt.

Doctor: Dastori - you have more letters after your name than anyone I know. Enough for two alphabets! How is it, you can be such a stupid, stubborn, irrational, and thoroughly objectable old idiot?
    Jamie: Hm (smiling)
    Doctor: Well what are you smiling at you - you hairy legged highlander?!
    Jamie: I'm just admiring your diplomatic skills.
    Doctor: Pa
    (Dastori has fallen down, unconcious on his desk) Dastari.
    Jamie: He's got his head dooned, Doctor! I can't say I blame him.
    Doctor: I'll thank you Jamie not to speak in that apalling mungrel dialect.
    Jamie: I mean he's gone to sleep!
    Doctor: He's not asleep -
    (Jamie opens his mouth but) He's not asleep, Jamie. He's drowned!
    Jamie: He's what?

EDIT: Of course, I've just realised that you can just follow this link -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/mediaselector/check/cult/doctorwho/clips/ram/two_doctors01?size=4x3&bgc=cc0000&nbram=1&bbram=1
    :))

I found some of it to be funny and the rest just very well scripted. The entire story itself was on last Saturday morning, UKTVGold. It was different to other stories as it was 6 episodes long instead of the usual 4. Actually I'm not sure anyway... The whole thing was very well written and I'm just trying to find out by whom, but it's proving some difficulty.
    Anyway it was very good and I'll hope you'll all get back to me on my previous post. :)
    edited July 2005
    See David Tennant's new outfit.

Official: Elisabeth Sladen to return as Sarah Jane Smith.

Penelope Wilton will return as Harriet Jones in the Xmas Invasion. The Earth is under threat from the Sycorax.

Stephen Fry to write an episode.

For all this news and more.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4714061.stm
    See David Tennant's new outfit.

Official: Elisabeth Sladen to return as Sarah Jane Smith.

Penelope Wilton will return as Harriet Jones in the Xmas Invasion. The Earth is under threat from the Sycorax.

Stephen Fry to write an episode.

For all this news and more.
    http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/tv_and_radio/4714061.stm
    Likin' it! Particularly the promise that the show will be bigger, better and more challenging. Think the BBC know they're on a roll with this one.
    unitedkingdom.png
    Likin' it! Particularly the promise that the show will be bigger, better and more challenging. Think the BBC know they're on a roll with this one.

I am likin' it! also. The best thing for me is the return of Elisabeth Sladen as Sarah Jane Smith. Sarah Jane is my favourite of all the Doctor's companions. Elisabeth Sladen still looks very good, she must be in her mid-fifties by now.
    I noticed that news yesterday as well. Don't know why I didn't post it here...
    I printed pictures off of the new outfit! It looks so cool! I can't get over how smart, yet still cool it looks! Man, I'm willing to possibly admit that it could possibily look slightly better than the leather jacket! But I'm not going to tell my brother. He still prefers the jacket and thinks Tennant would look better in it.
    Not a clue what Sycorax is! Sounds good though! :D
    Man, I'm going mad about all the new stuff coming out about the new series! :D
    Why couldn't they bring out as much stuff on Bond?! :))
    The entire story itself was on last Saturday morning, UKTVGold. It was different to other stories as it was 6 episodes long instead of the usual 4. Actually I'm not sure anyway... The whole thing was very well written and I'm just trying to find out by whom, but it's proving some difficulty.

Hello, Felix. The Two Doctors was written by Robert Holmes. He is perhaps the most prolific writer in the history of Doctor Who, and is regarded by many as the best. Sadly, he passed away only a year after the Two Doctors was originally broadcast.

You can find a list of all the episodes that he wrote for Doctor Who by clicking on the link below. He also wrote episodes for Dixon of Dock Green, The Saint, Blakes 7 and Bergerac, amongst others.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0392025/
    Thanks loads.
    Hey did any of you read my questions from post on the 24th?
    Anyway, I think I might have lost it. I took my Christiano Ronaldo (super hot player for Manchester United) poster down, and replaced it with a Dalek! :D
    My brother was freaked out because the gun points right down at my bed. :)) I'm also going to buy another poster today.
    But my main problem at the moment is convincing my mom to let me buy some more videos off ebay. :# I want the Trial of a Timelord set and 2 The Daleks videos.
    I know TOAT is from the '80s, and The Daleks is from the '60s. And I do know that it's in black and white... but I still want it! :)) My copy of An Unearthly child came yesterday and I watched it in the evening and I thought it was great! I didn't even care that it was black and white! :))
    But bidding for it ends today and I really need to convince my mom to let me bid! This is the only one where I can get both videos and have the entire story! :#
    Then there's only one TOAT on there whatsoever! X-( So I need to convince her to let me bid on 2 items. The Daleks ends today and TOAT on Sunday. I'll just have to bring up the fact that I can pay for them easily and my brother owes her almost £30! :D
    Of course, if I do bid and win, it'll mean I won't be able to get all the new toys, that are coming out at the end of August. But oh well. :)) This is the link for some of them.

http://www.scifind.co.uk/details-B0009P5YXO.html

If you've managed to read this entire post without getting bored, and took in all of it, please tell me. It will have been a magnificent achievment! :))
    I want the Trial of a Timelord set and 2 The Daleks videos.
    I know TOAT is from the '80s, and The Daleks is from the '60s. And I do know that it's in black and white... but I still want it! :)) My copy of An Unearthly child came yesterday and I watched it in the evening and I thought it was great! I didn't even care that it was black and white! :))

I have only recently started to watch the old black and white episodes featuring William Hartnell & Patrick Troughton. Unfortunately, 108 episodes out of the 253 that they made between them are lost, possibly forever. Still, there is more than enough left to show how good they really are.

The Daleks featured in numerous stories during the 1960's.

The Daleks
    The Dalek Invasion Of Earth
    The Chase
    The Daleks Master Plan
    The Power Of The Daleks
    The Evil Of The Daleks

The Daleks and The Dalek Invasion Of Earth were later transferred to the big screen and featured Peter Cushing as Doctor Who. The Daleks Master Plan is an epic 12 episode story. Unfortunately, nine of the episodes are lost. I have seen the three remaining episodes (2, 5 and 10) and they are wonderful to watch.
    You know, I never thought I'd like anything in black and white, but now I do. I've watched a couple of movies in black and white and then An Unearthly Child. It became 2 movies yesterday when I watched a movie called The Lemon Drop Kid.(1940) Old but still very funny.
    Anyway, I didn't get to bid on The Daleks, but I'm bidding on Trial of a Timelord. The bidding started at 99p, but now I think the current bid is £15.60. :) My bid. :)
    You mentioned The Power of the Daleks and The Evil of the Daleks, MNL. If you go to the website homepage, click Classic Series, then Photonovels you can read those 2 as Photonovels. Or just follow this link. :D
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/cult/doctorwho/photonovels/index.shtml

I started reading the Photonovels and they're very good. They have the entire of Patrick Troughton's Season 4 and 5, not invluding The Tomb of the Cybermen. As well as 4 of William Hartnell's (The Crusade, The Dalek's Master Plan 2, The Savages and The Smugglers).
    I myself have read
    The Evil of the Daleks
    The Abominable Snowmen
    The Power of the Daleks
    The Highlanders
    The Underwater Menace

After reading the first 2, I decided to go back to the beginning and read them in the right order. I'm about to start The Moonbase, which from the pictures looks very good.
    The black and white picture that you find at the beginning of each Photonovel, is what I set for my backfround, depending on which story I'm reading.
    Try them - they're great as they're only missing or incomplete stories. :)
  • The CatThe Cat Where Blofeld is!Posts: 711MI6 Agent
    How can they loose episodes? I know there were no video tapes back than, but they surely kept something... I mean how do they get the pictures for the photonovels than?
    The Cat wrote:
    How can they loose episodes? I know there were no video tapes back than, but they surely kept something... I mean how do they get the pictures for the photonovels than?

I recently bought a DVD called Lost In Time. It features 18 Doctor Who episodes from stories which no longer exist in their entirety. The booklet that came with the DVD explains why so many episodes were lost. This is an edited version.

In it's earliset days, television was invariably a live event: drama programmes were performed, transmitted, and viewed in the home, all at the same moment of the same evening. Nothing was pre-recorded and this meant that television left little recorded trace. By the time that Doctor Who began broadcasting videotape technology allowed tv companies to make programmes in advance, so all episodes of DW were made this way.

Programmes were rarely repeated at that time, not least because many viewers felt short changed when given 'another chance to see' them. The norm was for a programmes tapes to be returned to the BBC Engineering Department after transmission, to await their eventual date with an electromagnetic eraser.

Most of the tapes of 1960's DW were wiped during the years 1967-69; but by then their contents had been transferred to 16mm film, for sale overseas. DW was sold to many overseas broadcasters. After they had finished broadcasting them, the companies were supposed to do one of three things with them.

1. Send the films on to the next country that had bought them.

2. Return them to the BBC

3. Junk them. (Fortunately, not all of them did.)

By the early 1970's films from all kinds of programming were coming back in vast numbers to BBC Enterprises. Shelving space ran out and films began cluttering the corridors, which in turn became a fire hazard. The BBC had started broadcasting in colour, so the old black and white films seemed part of the dead past. They were duly spring cleaned away.

For six years from 1972, innumerable films held by BBC Enterprises were selected and destructed. By 1978 when a change in policy brought an end to the destruction, Enterprises still had most of the first two series of DW (1963-65). From the remaining four years of the 1960's, there were just four serials left.

If the 1960's and 70's were decades of destruction, during the following 25 years the BBC has actively sought to recover it's lost programmes (in part because of the introduction of the domestic video recorder and later on the DVD). In that time, 37 episodes of 1960's DW have been found. Some were found in BBC premises, or buildings owned by the BBC, others lay forgotten in the archives of overseas broadcasters, and some had found their way into the possession of private film collectors.
    Since David Tennant is more or less unknown outside the UK at the moment, you will be able to see him as Barty Crouch Jnr in Harry Potter and The Goblet of Fire this November...
    unitedkingdom.png