The return of Doctor Who (SPOILERS)

Comments

• TiMe_LiNeTiMe_LiNe Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    Yea usealy the companions leave after a setain amout of time rose has been on there for ages
  • FelixLeiter ♀FelixLeiter ♀ Staffordshire or a pubPosts: 1,286MI6 Agent
    TiMe_LiNe, did you get my msn message?
    Relax darling, I'm on top of the situation -{
  • TiMe_LiNeTiMe_LiNe Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    yea thanks i sent you one
  • Moore Not LessMoore Not Less Posts: 1,095MI6 Agent
    edited November 2005
    Just a reminder that a special mini episode of Doctor Who starring David Tennant and Billie Piper is due to be broadcast shortly after 9 pm on Friday evening as part of the BBC's Children In Need appeal.
    Just click on the link below if you would like to see the mini episode of Doctor Who (starring David Tennant and Billie Piper) which was broadcast earlier this evening as part of the BBC's Children In Need appeal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/pudsey/appealnight/doctor_who_special.shtml
    The real question. For those of you who did one one of the following:
    watched on TV
    taped off TV
    or watch on the link given by MNL,

what did you all think of it?

SPOLIER PLEASE WATCH CLIP ABOVE FIRST

IMO, it was (in the words of the ninth Doctor) fantastic. Russel T Davies managed to successfully cram quite a few things into that 8 minute scene.
    The Doctor may have 'told' Rose that he was going to change, but she's still reluctant to believe it. And the Doctor (IMO) could explain it a bit more.
    It ends nicely, leaving us prepared for 'The Christmas Invasion', which shall air on Christmas Day.
    David Tennant IMO looks set to be a good Doctor and maybe people will learn to like him more, now that they've seen a taster of him as the Doctor.
    I was hoping myself that I'd get to see a reasonable amount of him in Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire, which I saw last night. Unfortunately, his character of Braty Crouch junior doesn't appear as often as in the book and his fate (also unlike in the book), if left hanging in the air. :(
    edited December 2005
    From Outpost Gallifrey

Series one DVD's in US

In a reversal from an earlier announcement that the Region 1 DVD's of series one of the new Doctor Who series would be available only in Canada, BBC Video announced today to the news service of the Sci-Fi Channel, Sci-Fi Wire, that on February 14, 2006, the series would also be made available in the US on DVD. This is in direct contrast to earlier reports that the series would only be available on DVD after a broadcaster had transmitted the series in America. Outpost Gallifrey has learned that, with the failure of the BBC to find a broadcaster in the US, this prior requirement was bypassed and the decision was made to release the series on DVD after all.

The North American release, in both Canada and the US, will be the exact same items as were on the UK discs, as BBC Video no longer allows the US/Canada releases to differ from their UK counterparts. As stated in the Sci-Fi Wire article, the DVD set will carry a suggested retail price of $99.98
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    From Outpost Gallifrey

Series one DVD's in US

In a reversal from an earlier announcement that the Region 1 DVD's of series one of the new Doctor Who series would be available only in Canada, BBC Video announced today to the news service of the Sci-Fi Channel, Sci-Fi Wire, that on February 14, 2006, the series would also be made available in the US on DVD. This is in direct contrast to earlier reports that the series would only be available on DVD after a broadcaster had transmitted the series in America. Outpost Gallifrey has learned that, with the failure of the BBC to find a broadcaster in the US, this prior requirement was bypassed and the decision was made to release the series on DVD after all.

The North American release, in both Canada and the US, will be the exact same items as were on the UK discs, as BBC Video no longer allows the US/Canada releases to differ from their UK counterparts. As stated in the Sci-Fi Wire article, the DVD set will carry a suggested retail price of $99.98
    Stellar news MNL, very glad I waited. After the expensive one, this will make a nice Valentine.

How many episodes in Season 1? Are they one hour actually 50 minutes minus commercials?
    edited December 2005
    Alex wrote:
    How many episodes in Season 1? Are they one hour actually 50 minutes minus commercials?

Hello Alex.

There are thirteen episodes in Series 1. They are all approx 45 minutes long minus commercials. There are seven single episodes plus three two-part episodes.

Episode 1: Rose
    Episode 2: The End Of The World
    Episode 3: The Unquiet Dead

Two-Part
    Episode 4: Aliens Of London
    Episode 5: World War III

Episode 6: Dalek
    Episode 7: The Long Game
    Episode 8: Father's Day

Two-Part
    Episode 9: The Empty Child
    Episode 10: The Doctor Dances

Episode 11: Boom Town

Two-Part
    Episode 12: Bad Wolf
    Episode 13: The Parting Of The Ways
  • AlexAlex The Eastern SeaboardPosts: 2,694MI6 Agent
    Many thanks, M-N-L.
  • ohmss1969ohmss1969 EuropePosts: 141MI6 Agent
    Just got He-Man season 1/vol 1 :D
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited December 2005
    There are thirteen episodes in Series 1. They are all approx 45 minutes long minus commercials.
    I'm confused, there are no commercials on BBC... All programmes were 45 minutes long on TV, or am I missing something?

Anyway, a minor trailer is now being broadcast for The Christmas Invasion, which according to the main site features Santas with brass instruments as weapons. It'll be shown on BBC1 on Christmas Night.
    unitedkingdom.png
  • asioasio Melbourne, AustraliaPosts: 546MI6 Agent
    Just click on the link below if you would like to see the mini episode of Doctor Who (starring David Tennant and Billie Piper) which was broadcast earlier this evening as part of the BBC's Children In Need appeal.
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/pudsey/appealnight/doctor_who_special.shtml
    The link didn't work for me :(
    Does anyone have another link I could use?
    Drawn Out Dad.
    Independent, one-shot comic books from the outskirts of Melbourne, Australia.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
    Unfortunately, as stated in one of the news reports at the site, after a certain date and time, the clip would no longer be on the site. Sorry asio. :(
    And Moonraker, the idea about comercials may be from the showings on UKTV gold. Theyshow them on there on the following schedule:
    Fridays: UKGold - 8:00pm-9:00pm
    UKGold +1 - 9:00pm-10:00pm
    Saturdays: UKGold - 6:00pm-7:00pm
    UKGold +1 - 7:00pm-8:00pm
    Sundays: UKGold - 4:45pm-5:50pm
    UKGold +1 - 5:45pm-6:50pm
    WARNING: THE SUNDAY SCHEDULE IS MERELY FOR today. IT MAY VARY ON OTHER SUNDAYS.

I tend to watch the Friday one myself, but sometimes I watch the Saturday one instead.
    But anyway, UKTVGold show them with breaks every 15 minutes which is really annoying IMO. bUt I suppose it's just to fill the time up.
    I only realised they were doing it when I was skimming through the UKTVGold schedule. I tend to watch that channel a lot.
    They show classic Doctor Who every weekend morning, except this week they're changing the schedule round and aren't showing them in the right order. :X It might be nearly Christmas but they could at least show the right episode!
    Those ones are on at 7:00pm on UKTVGold. But I usually watch the replay.
    edited December 2005
    after a certain date and time, the clip would no longer be on the site. Sorry asio.
    Thanks anyway. :(
    Here in Australia we get 2 episodes of Dr Who reruns on the ABC every weeknight from 6-7PM. I usually get home from the gym (after work of course) around 5.30-5.45PM and if no one is home yet, I can watch it in peace.
    However, if the rest of my family are at home with me, then I have to supress my nerdy ways for another night.
    Drawn Out Dad.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
    Are those the classic episodes? And are you at around the 6th doctors reign at the moment?
    Yes they are the classic episodes, and yes we are at Colin Baker's run at the moment.
    Drawn Out Dad.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
    Thought so. I was emailing a friend and he mentioned missing the 5th docs regeneration. I did feel sorry for him as IMO it's the best 5th Doctor episode. And my copy of it is utterly sh*t. So I'm going to get the DVD version. :D
    But out of Colin Baker's reign, I'd say The Two Doctors is probably my favourite. It was funny, but not ott. It had a good plot that was neither too simple or too complicated. It was great. :)
    This is actually the first time I've seen these classic episodes.
    I watched the Christopher Eccelston series and liked it very much, so I've decided to take the ABC up on their offerings of daily episodes.
    Drawn Out Dad.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
    Well good for you. If you weren't really around when they were originally on, then you'll just have to do as I did and try and ignore the bad fashions and out of date CGI. :))
    That's one of the thing's I'm enjoying most about these classic episodes.
    Knowing that someone has taken the time and effort to create an alien, using real products, and that the alien was actually standing on the stage with The Doctor, somehow makes him more realistic than if he was created on a computer.
    Oh also I would like to mention, I've just purchased the Season 1 Box Set DVD of the new Doctor Who from the ABC Shop:
    http://shop.abc.net.au/browse/product.asp?productid=734716
    According to the folks who run the website, it's now in stock and should be arriving to me by courier very soon!
    Drawn Out Dad.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
    I was so very tempted to buy that myself, but I couldn't wait and just brought all the individual DVDs as they came out. :D
    And I agree with you, it is better to have the alien on there with the Doctor.
    Take the Cybermen for instance; they were never that bad! Except for maybe when they first appeared and the guys had sock over their heads... They were great and didn't need any speacial effects or anything, until they got their guns. :# But right from the start, they had an impact and if I try really hard and really believe in the Cybermen, try and believe that I'm 7 years old, then I can get a bit scared of them. :D
    The Cybermen were great and I can't wait for their return next series; man is that gonna rock! :D I think I'm going to start saving my money now, so that when they release a Cyberman action figure, I'll be able to get it straight away! :))
    Oh boy!!!
    Doctor Who: The Complete First Season on box set DVD has arrived at my house today, and it looks absolutely fantastic! It's a 5-disk set, and the box is dolled up to look like The Tardis.
    Brilliant!
    I'm going to watch it tonight. :)
    Drawn Out Dad.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,886Chief of Staff
    Question: is that "first season" as in the William Hartnell era, 1963-64? Or is the new series regarded as an entirely new entity, making the first season the one with Eccleston?

Actually, it would be great to see a complete first-first season, but, alas, I know that many of the original episodes were consigned to the furnace. Thank you, BBC. . . :(
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • PredatorPredator Posts: 790Chief of Staff
    Yes a bit confusing, but Season One of the Doctor Who "reboot".

The mightly Beeb did loose quite a lot of the earlier Doctor Who material in their wisdom. It's worth posting this link just in case any AJB member can help.
    Yes, "Dr Who The Complete First Season" refers to the Chris Eccelstone episodes. I would have preferred they named it (like The Avengers DVDs) "Dr Who The Complete 2005 Season" nut I guess it's too late for that now.
    I watched Rose again last night (for the first time since it's original airing) and it's even better than I remember. The scene were The Doctor explains to Rose who he is (ie: how he can feel the Earth moving through Space) was brilliant.
    Drawn Out Dad.
    twitter.com/DrawnOutDad
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Actually, it would be great to see a complete first-first season, but, alas, I know that many of the original episodes were consigned to the furnace. Thank you, BBC. . . :(

Couldn't you just kill one of those guys who personally put 'The Dalek's Master Plan' on the fire. X-( :))

But anyway, about the Hartnell, ones... They're bringing out a box set of his some time in Janaury... or February... I'm not sure - one of the two anyway. It'll have
    An Unearthly Child
    The Daleks
    and The Edge of Destruction.

Then comes Marco Polo, which according to some reviews I read was a great story! :) Shame it got put to the furnace. :( So I'm getting the BBC Audio CD for Christmas. :D
    BTW, Predator, that is a good link you posted. Although most people (including myself) would think it almost impossible to ever find one of these missing episodes, the chance is always there. All of us just keep our eyes peeled - and if it helps - keep a copy of that list with you when you go out. :)) :D You never know what Santa might just 'drop' in your stocking...

...or in my case, a plastic bag. :))
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,886Chief of Staff
    Yes indeed, great link, Pred. And cheer up, Felix--I can see that in the years since I became a Whovian (mid-to-late 1980s), many episodes and even entire serials from the Hartnell and Troughton years have been recovered. When the Hartnell series was broadcast here, there was no Aztecs, among others. There is hope! The real loss, though, is The Celestial Toymaker, with Michael Gough as the villainous main character. Man, what I'd give to see THAT!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    Since the trailers are now in full swing on BBC for the forthcoming Christmas Invasion (and do those aliens look nasty!), there's a report on BBC News today about the message of peace it will carry on Christmas Day.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/4523852.stm

Doctor Who takes anti-war stance
    WARNING: This story contains plot SPOILERS

A Christmas Day special of sci-fi series Doctor Who contains an anti-war message, as new Doctor David Tennant tackles an alien invasion of Earth.

"It's Christmas Day, a day of peace," said chief writer Russell T Davies. "There is absolutely an anti-war message because that's what I think."

Actress Penelope Wilton plays the Prime Minister in the hour-long show.

In one scene she says of the US president: "He is not my boss and he is certainly not turning this into a war."

A later scene echoes former Prime Minister Margaret Thatcher's decision to sink the General Belgrano during the Falklands conflict in 1982.

Wilton's Prime Minister orders the destruction of a retreating alien spaceship, a decision condemned by the Doctor.

"She does that very easy speech about not listening to the American president but at the end she's out of her depth and she does the wrong thing," said Mr Davies.

Entitled The Christmas Invasion, the episode also features a gang of deadly robot Santas and a killer Christmas tree.

It is David Tennant's first full episode in the role, as he replaced Christopher Eccleston who left the hit show after one series.

When asked how long he would play the Doctor, Tennant said: "I fully intend to be here this time next year, and let's wait and see what happens after that."

Asked whether Billie Piper would quit her role as assistant Rose Tyler after the forthcoming series, Mr Davies said: "You will have to wait and see."

Tennant said he was having "lots of fun" in the coveted role. "It's a thrill to be part of it," he said.

"It is like no other job in the world - you are sword-fighting one day, swinging off ledges on another. It never fails to surprise and delight."

The new series will feature a brief kiss between the Doctor and Rose. "There is a lot more of that to come but we don't like to give anything away," said Mr Davies.

For the first time in the show's history, the previous series encouraged viewers to empathise with murderous villains The Daleks.

Amid the action and humour in the forthcoming series, would viewers be asked to sympathise with returning monsters The Cybermen?

"There is a moment with them - it is a very 'feely' show," Mr Davies said. "We want to treat them as real, to discover why they are the way they are."

Long-term Doctor Who fan Tennant added: "Cybermen are part human, in a way. We want to look into that."

Doctor Who: The Christmas Invasion will be screened on BBC One on Christmas Day at 1900 GMT.
    unitedkingdom.png
    Unfortunately, I can't turn away from any spoilers and with the photos in DWM, Its like I've already seen a bit of the Crimbo Invasion.
    But I'll be sitting down and watching it on the big day too. My nan will keep calling it 'Dr No' as usual and my dad will go on about the classic series. My mom will get a bit bored near the end, as she can't stand watching aliens for too long. My brother and I will be telling the lot of them to shut up as we stare at the screen, me sitting with a remote control Dalek in front of me.
    And my Grandpa will just go to sleep. :))
    I do agree with Hardyboy as well' I'd like to see the return of 'The Celestial Toymaker'. I've seen the one surviving episode of it on the 'Lost in Time' dvd and it was absolutely fantastic! :D