Last film seen...

Comments

• superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    An odd Angry shot, brilliant little war film about Australian sas regiment in vietnam
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,246MI6 Agent
    Cold Deck. A reasonable drama/thriller involving a poker playing addict who robs a big private game with terrible consequences. Robert Knepper (T-Bag from Prison Break) gives a great performance with good backup from Paul Sorvino and Stefano Gallo.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    stag wrote:
    superdaddy wrote:
    An odd Angry shot, brilliant little war film about Australian sas regiment in vietnam

I saw that a while ago. As I recall they made a (ahem) 'pleasure' machine. A tip, don't waste your time, they don't work! I was told that by a friend of course!
    for the padre :)) so funny, yes " my friend" told me the same :))
    Kajakie, IMO best film of 2015
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    Watched Captain America Civil War last night. Good film, but of a slow start (first hour or so) but Spider Man was awesome and all the cast were at their best in their superhero roles.

Only thing I didn't like was the QoS style editing for one or two fight scenes. X-( X-( X-(
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,282MI6 Agent
    Captain America: Civil War in 3D

I was kind of disappointed. The plot was razor thin, full of unanswered questions and really just an excuse to bridge one action setpiece to the next. It also really stacked the deck to make the characters do all sorts of things that they normally would not do based on their actions in prior movies. The main villain was probably the weakest in all of the Marvel movies to date. The ending was unsatisfying to me as nothing was really resolved and things ended up pretty much where they were (only slightly worse) when the movie started. Spiderman's much vaunted introduction into the MCU felt like it was bolted on at the last minute as the film came to a literal stop to introduce him, placed him in one big action scene and then just left him behind.

These days it seems every one of these movies broods on the "human cost of collateral damage" and "holding heroes accountable for their actions" while using up half its running time to introduce even more new characters to spin off into their own movies. I really miss the days of the standalone superhero movie; the first Iron Man and Captain America films were far more entertaining than these ensemble pieces we've been getting lately.

As is par for the course with most Marvel movies, the 3D was nothing to write home about; zero popouts (not even smoke or other environmental effects), average depth that was quickly tuned out and ultra-fast-cut action scenes which further killed any sense of depth. It's really disheartening to see the indifference most filmmakers have for 3D and if you must see it, save your money and go with the 2D version.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Next, with Nicolas Cage. Very good sci-fi thriller about a man with the ability to
    see in to the future ( but only 2 minutes ahead) a bit of trivia is that at the start
    of the film, the lady on stage helping in Cage's magic act is infact his wife.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Similar to my world. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    The Warriors , one of my favourite films , it was on the TV for free the other night ,so no need to pay for it on AMAZON :D ,
    Set in 70s New York ,a street gang from Coney Island ,have to fight their way back home ,via a very graffiti covered subway system.The gang after attending a gang convention ,have been wrongly accused of killing the head gangsta ,so a hit has been put out for their heads .I suppose in a similar way ,a bit like escape from New York ,worth a watch ,I like it :)
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    I did watch PROMETHIUS last week its the prequel to ALIEN ,but it did strike me ,that the technology in Promethius was superior to Alien ? which was odd ,as there was meant to have been a big time line difference 8-)
    Captain America: Civil War.
    Fun action superhero movie, plenty of action sequences. All the usual suspects
    make an appearance and a couple of newer ones.
    I am wrath, a standard revenge thriller with John Travolta but very entertaining. :)
    The Likely Lads - such an under rated movie based on the TV series - some of the lines are genuine laugh out loud material.
    :D The bbc radio player ( from bbc radio 4 extra) are playing the old radio series of
    The likely lads, and yes it's very funny.
    I don't have a dvd player here I use Google Play Movies but a Brit neighbour of mine asked me over for a drink last night and he's a big fan of Terry and Bob so we watched it and laughed ourselves silly :))
    I found this on Wiki,
    The Likely Lads is an English sitcom created and written by Dick Clement and Ian La Frenais, and produced by Dick Clement. Twenty episodes were broadcast by the BBC, in three series, between 16 December 1964 and 23 July 1966. However, only eight of these episodes have survived.
    It's amazing there are only Eight surviving episodes.
    I think the follow up series Whatever Happened To The Likely Lads is available in full :)
    Yes, same great show but on looking it up. I only found out that
    the two lads had a falling out and have never been friends since !
    That's a pity because they worked so well together on film :(
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,285MI6 Agent
    A journalist once did a whimsical piece on the kind of books you pick up at a public library, and one of these was the autobiography of 'Bob' Rodney Bewes, a book you wouldn't ordinarily delve into or buy. In it Bewes with a lack of self-awareness tells how James Bolam and wife had a kid and told Bewes, asking them to keep the news quiet. Bewes blithely went and told the next journo who talked to him, then casually mentioned it to Bolam afterwards.

It was a funny piece, and Bolam came out badly too in a few stories. The journo said that after reading it he didn't know which of the two he'd rather not be on speaking terms with. :D
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,285MI6 Agent
    The movie had one brilliant line.

Bob and Terry and Thelma and some Nordic blonde bird Terry has picked up are on a miserable caravan holiday. They have parked somewhere and sole entertainment consists of a game of cards.

Terry suddenly makes an excuse and exits the caravan. The remaining three sit and listen in silence as they hear Terry urinating against the side of the caravan. "I am so embarrassed" murmurs the Nordic blonde in her stilted English. "Not at all," responds Bob's wife Thelma tartly. "It's the first time all evening I've known what he's got in his hand."
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Very interesting NP, I didn't know the story of what happened. Just that
    James Bolam has always refused to have anything to do with any remakes.
    Kill Command : Basically "Predator " with robots. Quite good fun.
    The Hateful Eight : Fantastic western/ whodunit. -{ Tarantino back on top form.
  • MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    Just got back from X-Men: Apocalypse.

Not the best X-Men film, but it is a lot of fun, and the pacing is pretty good for a 2h30 minute movie. Recommend it, it might not be the best, but it's still a good film. I'd say, tied for 3rd best X Men film with First Class (not counting Deadpool), behind X2 and Days of Future Past.
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
    I watched American sniper the other day ,didn't realise it was a true story until the end ,but it seemed to have many parallels ,with Jude Laws Enemy at the gates ,the fake baby was a joke ,surely the could have got a more realistic looking doll ,very amateurish .
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Blackhat.
    OMG. My friends, you ALL need to see this. Seriously.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Just finally watched the force awakens, apart from Han solo and chewbacca I found myself a touch underwhelmed! Star wars was a childhood love of mine, the best Christmas present I ever had was the millennium falcon :) so a bit dissapointed with the new film. There are of course some excellent and quite funny moments, Han solo discovering how good chewbaccas cross bow is....after all these years, and of course DC's stormtrooper is very comical..... That sequence was just missing the line " aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper? "
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,597Chief of Staff
    chrisisall wrote:
    Blackhat.
    OMG. My friends, you ALL need to see this. Seriously.

I have...it's terrible :#

Whilst watching it I kept thinking "the director is trying to be like Michael Mann, only failing"...then I found out it WAS Michael Mann :o

Watched X-Men: Apocalypse...not as bad as the press will have you believe :D I quite enjoyed it...Some lovely costumes - especially Psylocke ;% ...but MUCH preferred Sophie Turner as Jean Grey :x
    YNWA 97
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,804MI6 Agent
    "Third person"(2013( by Paul Haggis. This movie has three seemingly seperate storylines happening in three different cities: NewYork (Mila Kunis, James Franco), Paris (Liam Neeson, Olivia Wilde) and Rome (Adian Brody, Moran Atias). This is a movie that demands that the viewer is on his toes. It's important to think about where things happen, links between storylines and last but not least - who's POV is it really? Good, interesting story and many top notch actors. I should also write something sexist about Olivia Wilde's performance in this movie, but let's just say you should see the scene where she stands outdside LiamNeeson's hotelroom in a bath robe ... :D