Last film seen...

Comments

• MilleniumForceMilleniumForce LondonPosts: 1,214MI6 Agent
    Bad Taste and Soaceballs. Both 1987 movies. Bad Taste was Peter Jackson's first film, it's a low budget sci fi alien invasion film. Good watch, recently bought it on DVD (though I had seen it before).
    1.LTK 2.AVTAK 3.OP 4.FYEO 5.TND 6.LALD 7.GE 8.GF 9.TSWLM 10.SPECTRE 11.SF 12.MR 13.YOLT 14.TLD 15.CR (06) 16.TMWTGG 17.TB 18.FRWL 19.TWINE 20.OHMSS 21.DAF 22.DAD 23.QoS 24.NSNA 25.DN 26.CR (67)
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    The Magnificent Seven (1960). To me this is the greatest film of all time and I watched it for the umpteenth time last night. The cast is amazing, the script is superb and the music is unbeatable. I just KNOW I am going to hate the remake when it's going to be released later this year :#

And of course the 1960 film was itself a remake of Akira Kurosawa's brilliant Seven Samurai...but John Sturges wisely transferred it to the Wild West B-)

Arguably, this sort of revision takes the curse off a remake. Kurosawa admired the Sturges film so much that he sent the American director a katana :)

However, we can probably be confident that the 2016 film won't be at the same level. But a good story is a good story, and I'll see it eventually.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,246MI6 Agent
    The remake is going to be a new story I believe which begs the question why use the title? :#

I've just seen the trailer and it looks an horrendous offering of modern style jump cutting - it just gets worse :#

When I saw The Magnificent Seven in the cinema in the mid 60's when it was re-released I had no idea it was based on Seven Samurai and of course it always gets put down because of that but as you rightly say Kurosawa thought very highly of the film. Transferring the action from Japan to the Old West whilst keeping the general consensus of the story was superbly handled. I have seen Seven Samurai and I know this will appear sacrilegious to many but it doesn't hold a candle to Yul Brynner and co riding to Mexico to save a village from bandits all for their own personal reasons -{
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Zulu, my all time favorite film, bit of trivia the real colour sergeant Bourne lived untill VE Day 1945 and he served in ww1 as a lt colonel running a infantry training depot.
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    superdaddy wrote:
    Zulu, my all time favorite film, bit of trivia the real colour sergeant Bourne lived untill VE Day 1945 and he served in ww1 as a lt colonel running a infantry training depot.

This man ,is my favourite character in that film ,more so as he is buried in the same cemetery as my uncles and aunties and masonic colleagues ,in the Beckenham cemetry
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    stag wrote:
    I watched TB today. I noticed that when Bond is dancing with Domino after his card game against Largo there is no music! I could clearly hear the shuffling of feet. Has anyone else noticed this?
    I watched it too, one of my most watched bonds, I love it, can't say I noticed the lack of music tho!
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,246MI6 Agent
    Bastille Day. It's an ok actioner and mercifully short at 93 mins which means there is no convoluted sub-plots to spoil the flow. I'm not a huge fan of Idris Elba but he would make a terrific John Shaft.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Midnight Special, a slightly boring science fiction movie, it runs almost two hours
    and feels it.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Dad's Army (1971),
    A great gentle comedy with characters so well known, it's almost like watching
    an old family film. :D

I was introduced to Dad's Army by my parents when I was a lot younger and I fell in love with the show. The charming characters and their wacky adventures always brought laughs. Didn't know there was a movie though. I'll have to give it a watch!

Anyway, just watched Sicario for the first time outside the cinema. Outstanding thriller that was brilliantly shot.
    Precious Cargo an average heist movie with an odd mixture of " Mr and Mrs Smith" type
    comedy and some pretty graphic violence. On a film nerd point there is one scene with two
    people talking in a car and the film crew and lighting panel can clearly be seen reflected in
    Their sunglasses. :D I thought with digital technology those days were gone, you even get
    the outtakes on the end titles.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    MASH, great film and completely forgot the great Robert Duvall was in it, him being driven off by the MP's in a straight jacket :)) :)) so many great scenes in this film -{
    My grandfather died at Colditz. ...... He fell out of his machinegun tower ! :D
    ( Old Bernard Manning joke )
    My great grandfather died at Colditz.....
    Some bloke landed on him after falling out of his machine gun tower!!
    I knew we must be related. :D
    :)) some great old gags ( I'll be using all of them ) ;)
    On Colditz, From watching Top Gear, I see it's now a Hotel.
    I hope the food and service has improved. :)
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,350Chief of Staff
    Star Wars: The Force Awakens
    I saw this in the cinema with my pals then last night watched it at home with Bride Of Barbel (who hadn't seen it) and Son Of Barbel (who had, with his pals). A thoroughly good time was had by all. Knocks spots off the prequels (which unlike some I didn't hate) and left me yearning for more. Sure, it's just A New Hope all over again but that's fine with me! Can I say a word praising Harrison Ford, whose very presence lent gravitas, and of course to the other originals?
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Barbel wrote:
    I saw this in the cinema with my pals then last night watched it at home with Bride Of Barbel (who hadn't seen it) and Son Of Barbel (who had, with his pals). A thoroughly good time was had by all. Knocks spots off the prequels (which unlike some I didn't hate) and left me yearning for more. Sure, it's just A New Hope all over again but that's fine with me! Can I say a word praising Harrison Ford, whose very presence lent gravitas, and of course to the other originals?

With you 100% there -{
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    I tried watching it for a second time just now on Blu Ray (the first was in the cinema), and... I couldn't get through it. :#
    It's so good to see Han again, but knowing how the movie ends.... man, I just can't see that again. :# :#
    I'll be right there for the next movie, and the one after, but this one just hurts too much.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    Same, could never understand the admiration for Star Wars always preferred a good western :) My son bought me the cowboys vesus alien DVD ( his reasoning being its a western with James Bond in it what's not to like) hated it. Watched Legend last night about those child abusing scum the krays, starring Tom Hardy, thought it was terrible, cannot understand why they make film glorifying trash like them, if have to why not tell it from the brave police officers based at Tintagel house that brought these scum to justice. Think Tom Hardy is so overrated, I cannot think of a single performance of his I have enjoyed.
    I wasn't too impressed with the new Star Wars, good enough film but I won't be rushing out to get
    The Bluray.
    With Cowboys v Aliens, During it, I kept wishing it had been an old fashioned Western.
  • FrigilianaFrigiliana Posts: 164MI6 Agent
    I can recommend Locke with Tom Hardy , not what you'd expect the whole film is set in a BMW car , i won't spoil it but Tom Hardy acting credentials went up in my view .
    Not a huge tom hardy fan but his role in the revenent and also lawless were good performances
    Watched Locke the other night, as bad as Bronson IMO and thought he just mumbled in Lawless and thought the Guy Pierce outshone everybody in that film!
    Again a classic example why they shouldn't do remakes! The Italian job, dad's army, the Sweeny ( cring every time I watch Ray Winstonabout as bad an actor as Danny Dyer) all the remakes were dreadful.
    Also we have the remake of " The Magnificent Seven" to look forward too. :D
    It's amusing to think some executive somewhere looked at it and his first
    Thought was " I could do this better" :))
    Saw trailer for this TP, looks terrible and stars Mr remake himself Denzil Washington, not a Mexican village insight!!!!!base it on a classic by all means but call it something else, prime example of job well done The Missing a take on The Searchers ( greatest western ever made).
    I started to watch "a night to remember "starring the wonderful Kenneth Moor ,but we had to go out so I missed the ending ,
    does any one know how the film finished :)
    Everyone gets rescued, and he goes on to be a sheriff in a small American town. Before getting
    Framed for murder and having to go on the run in Scotland, before buying an antique car. ;)

Odd film fact, several sequences in A Night to Remember were made originally for a Nazi
    Propaganda film !
    I do know that Q (Desmond LLewelyn ) was in it ,
    The Thing 2011.
    A decent enough horror film ( although not a patch on the John Carpenter movie) about the
    events that happened at the Norwegian camp, before the Carpenter film. Sadly it's not as
    claustrophobic as the first film ( I'm not counting the original The Thing from another world )
    and the special effects are CGI, in my opinion not as good as the make up effects of the first
    Film, but worth a look.