Last film seen...

Comments

• always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Day of the Triffids a good old Brit sci fi film ,must of seen it about a dozen times ,but I still enjoy it
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    One of my favourites too. ;)
    As for Grimsby , I've heard one satirical review point out that Sacha Baron Cohen is from a wealthy, public school
    background. So making fun of working class northerners, should be second nature to him. In the same way
    public school boy Jack Whitehall's comedy "Bad Educatiin" pokes fun at the state school system. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Charmed & DangerousCharmed & Dangerous Posts: 7,358MI6 Agent
    Day of the Triffids - classic sci-if. That and Village of the Damned from the same era started me reading John Wyndham's books as a kid. The Midwich Cuckoos is the novel on which Village of the Damned is based. Triffids is a great, scary film.
    "How was your lamb?" "Skewered. One sympathises."
    I still remember the old BBC version way back in 1981. :) In fact the bbc remade it
    a few years ago in a two or three part special, but to my knowledge it's never been
    repeated.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,246MI6 Agent
    Day of the Triffids - classic sci-if. That and Village of the Damned from the same era started me reading John Wyndham's books as a kid. The Midwich Cuckoos is the novel on which Village of the Damned is based. Triffids is a great, scary film.

{[]
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    Nonstop :
    Liam Neeson as an air Marshall trying to stop a killer high-jacker. I really enjoyed
    this thriller, it's a bit silly and the motivation for the criminal is also ...... a bit odd,
    but very entertaining.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    In the Heart of the Sea, starring Chris Hemsworth and directed by Ron Howard. A very, very enjoyable film, with Ben Whishaw turning in a quietly brilliant performance as a young and earnest Herman Melville.

Highly recommended -{
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Watched quite a lot of films recently, so here's a bunch of them, with my brief thoughts:

Ted 2 - Not bad and I thought the story was more interesting than Ted 1. Funny in places and has Morgan Freeman. 6/10

Evil Dead (2013 Reboot) - Not much I particularly liked about this, but it wasn't bad, I just think it paled in comparison to the originals. 5/10

The Goonies - Great film. Good to see Robert Davi in it too. The goonies themselves had strong accents which I struggled to understand however. 7/10

Street Fighter - I knew it would be awful, but I'm a fan of the games and wanted to watch it. Pretty bad, and Van Damme simply cannot act. 3/10

The Scorpion King - I love the Mummy films so I gave this a try, and it just did nothing for me at all. 3/10

Lucy - Really fun film. The plot is a bit farfetched, but I don't mind really, because it's still fun and entertaining. Bonus points for Scarlett Johanson and Morgan Freeman. 8/10

Gravity - Technically a well-made film and interesting. Wasn't exactly my cup of tea though, as the style was quite unusual, but I know that was the point. 5/10

Ghostbusters And Ghostbusters II - Watched these back to back. Had a great time watching them. Simply brilliant films. First one a tiny bit better, but I loved the second one too. 9/10 each.

The Theory Of Everything - Very good film. Sad but powerful. Very effective. 8/10

Entrapment - What a great film! Shocked to see it's low(ish) score on imdb. I just thought it was a very enjoyable ride throughout. Mad twist at the end though.. 8/10

Jurassic Park 1-4 - Had seen 1 before, but not the others, so I watched them altogether. 1 is a solid film, although I don't love it as much as most others do, but still, 7/10. 2 was the weakest I think, but not bad at the same time, and 3 had an edge on 2 because of Sam Neil's return. 6/10 for both of those. 4 was fun and unexpected. 7/10 for that.

Interstellar - This is the best one on the list here for me. It was absolutely epic! Very clever and extremely interesting throughout. The ending was a bit out there, but I still appreciated it a lot. I had to watch this film twice to fully understand it though - that tends to happen with Nolan films. 9/10

Star Wars: The Clone Wars - Big Star Wars fan, but had never seen this spinoff-like film so gave it a go. Meh. Not great, and seems to be aimed at kids mainly... Not terrible though, and Jabba's son was cute. 5/10

S. Darko - I know it's not very critically acclaimed, but I still tried it out from liking the first one. Yeah... not very good at all. And quite hard to follow tbh. Had an intriguing feel at times however. 4/10

Mega Shark Vs Giant Octopus - Been wanting to watch this for ages, purely for the laugh, as I know it was terribly received. I watched it drunk. And honestly.... it wasn't THAT bad. Ok it wasn't very good either, but I hardly think it's deserving of a 2.5 on imdb.... I gave it a 4/10

The Amityville Horror (2005) - Ironically watched this the night before a house viewing lol. Not a bad horror film, kinda average, but entertaining enough. 6/10

Zulu - Technically a well-made film but not exactly for me. Michael Caine was good in it. For me, a 5/10

The Neverending Story 1-3 - Had seen the first one before, but rewatched so I could watch the sequels after. LOVE the first one, always have, 9/10 for that easily. The sequels just get worse.... Number 2 actually was enjoyable for me. I saw evident flaws but I still kinda liked it, so that's the important thing. 7/10 for that. The third film is a mess. 4/10

The Trouble With Harry - A comedy Hitchcock film. Fairly interesting but nowhere near his best. It does have character though and I admire it for that. About a 6/10

Pixels - As a game-lover this was pretty cool. It was silly, but it was always going to be silly. To be taken with a pinch of salt. The first couple of games I was unfamiliar with, so didn't feel that. But then pacman and donkey kong came in, which I loved. Overall a 6/10

ET - Only watched as a child, so wanted to rewatch as an adult. Good, solid family film. Not completely my sort of film though, too family-like, but I have no real complaints with this film. 6/10

Chappie - Let's save the worst for last. What a complete piece of crap this film is. So basically, the main moral of the story is that it is ok to be a criminal/chav. I was rooting for Hugh Jackman, yet the audience are supposed to be rooting for the criminals. Yeah, great moral 8-) I bet this film will make kids resort to crime later in life (I know it's not a kids film but some kids will watch it). Chappie's voice was annoying too. Seriously I hated this film, I have no idea why people like it. Yes I get that artificial intelligence in many ways should be feared, and I know that things should be left alone if they develop consciousness, I understand those points, but this film went about it in the wrong way completely. Who's idea was it to promote committing crimes? What a stupid, morally wrong film. 1/10
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • Mr_Sable_BasiliskMr_Sable_Basilisk BerlinPosts: 50MI6 Agent
    Yesterday I saw "The Good, the bad and the ugly" for the first time in a cinema. One of my favourite movies and a great experience watching it on the big screen. A fantastic evening.
    London has Fallen :

Fantastic action film, some outstanding sequences. It is a popcorn flick, don't go checking
    Out the story too much, but if you enjoy seeing hundreds of terrorist scumbags getting
    Blown away. It's a hoot ! :D I'll be adding it to my collection as soon as possible.
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I very much want to go and see this one, so thanks for the review TP. It sounds like the perfect flick to me.
    FROM HELL starring Jonny Depp and Robbie Coltrane , its on almost every week ,its about the Freemasons cover up of Jack the ripper ,being a FM myself I find the film fascinating ,I keep meaning to do a Ripper tour .
    Yes, From Hell is a great thriller. Forgot to add that our old Bond mate Colin Salmon is in LHF.
    FROM HELL starring Jonny Depp and Robbie Coltrane , its on almost every week ,its about the Freemasons cover up of Jack the ripper ,being a FM myself I find the film fascinating ,I keep meaning to do a Ripper tour .

My wife and I did a Ripper tour years ago and it was great fun and also very interesting. I think it likely comes down to the quality of the tour guide. Ours was sensational. He was very knowledgeable and did a great job of setting the stage "Imagine it's 1888, there's a heavy fog and only the dull light of gas lamps to illuminate the darkness. You're walking home and think you can hear footsteps behind you but whenever you stop, they stop, and when you turn to look behind you, you see nothing except the fog. You hurry your pace and so do the footsteps..." I almost wet myself with fear!
    I can't help but think of " The phantom raspberry blower of old London town " ;)

https://youtu.be/OwaEPTSRcSw
    ...and there was I thinking it was a squeaky seat at the back of the bus!
    With the real phantom, there's always the tell tale smell of ......... Fear ! ;)
    ........ a bit like onions.
    Spooks: The Greater Good
    As a fan of the series I loved this. More or less a feature length episode. Which isn't a
    complaint as the series had such high production standards.
    Point Break (2015)
    An oddly cold film, I couldn't really get to care about the characters. Basically a showcase
    For some great extreme sports action, all beautifully filmed is some breathtaking locations.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    Point Break (2015)
    An oddly cold film, I couldn't really get to care about the characters. Basically a showcase
    For some great extreme sports action, all beautifully filmed is some breathtaking locations.

Must watch the original - been a long time
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    Antman:
    An enjoyable superhero movie, big on comedy but fun.

Now you see me:
    Another enjoyable flick about magicians who ........ Well they do several
    Things ;) plenty of twists, very much a heist type film I also really enjoyed
    It. So it's been a good day for films. ( I watched Octopussy as well ) :D
    Antman:
    An enjoyable superhero movie, big on comedy but fun.
    :D

And a true story too, don't forget! 8-)
    Sicario
    Fantastic thriller -{ and Benicio Del Toro is outstanding, in fact all the cast
    even the minor characters give great performances.
    The Magdalene sisters , ive seen this before ,but well worth a watch . This film is set in a home for unfortunate girls (shall we say)
    run by a group of wellmeaning ,but sadistic nuns . .Set In Eire ,a very staunch catholic film of those days .im sure TP and SM would have heard of this film :D
    I was one of the Nuns ! :D not sadistic, just ............ "Forceful Encouragement" ;)
    Yes the whole Catholic church has a very cruel history in Ireland, and across the
    World. I've avoided watching the film "spotlight" as I think it would just make me
    Very angry. Also in case anyone things I'm not being fair, I was raised Catholic.....
    ...... Which is enough to turn anyone Atheist ! :))
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    Sicario
    Fantastic thriller -{ and Benicio Del Toro is outstanding, in fact all the cast
    even the minor characters give great performances.

Fantastic indeed!
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,693MI6 Agent
    Though I'm not a Catholic (and therefore have no personal experience of nuns) I have seen parts of this film my when my friend showed it to me on DVD. I recall a very funny scene in it where a priest loses his clothes and runs off due to something itching him. :))

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BqkH7-BTMck
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    The last witch hunter
    Vin Diesel as a witch hunter, in a well below average action film. :#
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    The last witch hunter
    Vin Diesel as a witch hunter, in a well below average action film. :#
    My older Son (36) told me it was awesome.
    But then, opinions vary. 8-)
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
    My wife, who is a huge Vin Diesel fan. Even said half way through it.......
    " This is a load of sh*te !" ;)