Last film seen...

Comments

• HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Pan, one of last year's biggest flops. I can see why it flopped--it's truly a mess, with Hugh Jackman trying too hard to outdo Johnny Depp's Jack Sparrow as the most fey pirate of all time; Captain Hook as not only a good guy but an American cowboy. . .and when it comes right down to it, what's the point? Peter Pan is ETERNAL YOUTH: who the hell CARES how he got started? But in all its chaotic weirdness, little hints of genius peek out, such as the children slaves in Blackbeard's mines greeting him with a chanted version of Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit." Even when he fails, director Joe Wright isn't boring.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Batman v Superman, not as bad as I was expecting from some of the reviews. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    You're a better man than I, Gungapussy.
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    stag wrote:
    I watched the 2nd part of Jack the ripper last night (it was sort of a film ) :D starring Sir Michael Caine ,and mans man Lewis Collins
    (AKA Bodie) :) two names I thought most unlikely to be in the same sentence . Lewis played inspector Avelines side kick sergeant Godley.A very good adaptation of this most heinous case of multiple murders . Again,the same thread seems to pop up ,"The establishment "protecting well the establishment. Some very good points raised in this (film) which would rule out a lone lunatic.So as more than one person was portrayed ,then a conspiracy is in place .I find the whole J.T.R story a fascinating subject ,will we ever know who they where ????

I saw a little bit of this. Twentieth century dialogue crowbarred into a 19th century setting. I could not understand why Sergeant(?) Bodie was wearing a wide brimmed fedora? A small detail but so out of place among the other headwear.

That's the first thing that struck me , "why is Bodie looking like Malcolm Allison ??,I remember reading ,many years ago ,that there was a set social pecking order ,due to your social status ,on what hat ,you should wear ?? .But I found it entertaining any way .Sir Michael was at his usual best .
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    Bullet To The Head on DVD.
    I can't believe I didn't see this sooner... it was a very solid & wildly violent Walter (The Warriors, 48 Hrs) Hill flick starring Stallone. The flick came out a month after the Sandy Hook murders so a movie with that title wasn't gonna be very well received...
    Airport 77
    I remember watching this in the cinema as a kid. I was amazed at the storyline.
    A 747 crashed underwater with everyone trapped after a failed robbery. -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,273MI6 Agent

Watched this yesterday I thought it was excellent.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    Blast from the past: I just ordered Trancers & Trancers II on blu ray (own them already on crappy DVD), and Trancers: City Of Lost Angels (the in- between never before released short filmed in 1988 which I have never seen) on DVD.
    I am SO psyched! :D
    Superman Returns. Not bad. Nowhere near as bland as I remembered. Routh was excellent.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,816MI6 Agent
    Has anyone seen "Where to invade next" by Michael Moore? I have always enjoyed that political demagogue's films :D
    He's preaching to the choir in my case.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,816MI6 Agent
    Yes, me too. Sometimes I wish there was a conservative version of him.
    The Martian,
    Very good sci-fi rescue film.
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,282MI6 Agent
    edited April 2016
    I managed to catch Star Wars: The Force Awakens on BluRay today and my initial impression was too kind: this was a very mediocre movie. A lot of things about this really turned me off and just left me scratching my head, especially Abrams' apparent need to one-up the originals and basically undo everything from the end of the original trilogy. To wit:

- Episode 6 was called Return of the Jedi, except that now we discover they never really came back.

- We thought the empire had been destroyed and peace had returned to the galaxy, only to now realize that the war had basically continued for thirty years.

- Han and Leia were supposed to live happily ever after and bring forth a new generation of force sensitive Skywalkers; instead they had one kid, who quickly found grandpa's helmet and went crazy while Han and Leia went their separate ways for years.

- Luke, torchbearer of the Jedi Order, was turned into a self-doubting failure when his nephew turned to the darkside and decided to just disappear while the rest of the galaxy went to hell. That's really keeping in character.

- Lucas gave us the Death Star, a battlestation that could destroy a planet; Abrams gave us Starkiller Base, an oversized Deathstar that could destroy several planets at once.

- Lucas gave us a hologram of Palpatine; Abrams had to give us a GIANT hologram of Snoke (compensating a bit too much there, eh JJ?)

- Lucas gave us Yoda, a short 900 year old Jedi who spewed wisdom; Abrams gave us Maz Kanata, a short 1,000 year old force sensitive who spews wisdom.

- Lucas gave us Tattoine; Abrams gave us Jakku, which was basically ... Tattooine!

- Kylo Ren, supposed heir to Darth Vader, came across a whiny little twerp who was bested by a girl that had never held a lightsaber in her hand (or at best not since she was a little child); so much for the years of training every other Jedi seemed to need before becoming proficient in the ways of the force.

- Han Solo was creaky and his action scenes were painful to watch. His death scene was telegraphed a mile away and so predictable as to completely rob it of any sense of loss. It just felt like a cheap stunt (another thing JJ likes to do).

- Leia looked like she had been hit by a truck and gone thru several really bad plastic surgeries. Her voice was also practically a warning for what excessive smoking, drinking and drugs can do to you. Even worse, she pretty much signed Han's death warrant as it was she who convinced him to try to turn Kylo back to the light side.

- I still don't quite understand how the Starkiller base worked. It never really seemed to move anywhere in actual space so I guess it was supposed to be able to target and destroy planets clear across the galaxy. Uh yeah. Right.

- Supposedly cataclysmic events like the destruction of the Republic (was that Coruscant or some other planet by the way) were handled so lazily and indifferently that they carried absolutely no emotional weight.

- By the time Rey finally finds a constipated looking Luke - would it have killed them to have him utter one single line - I had been bludgeoned into indifference.

I enjoyed the prequels, with all their flaws, far more than this drek as the movie just played out like a series of barely connected scenes meant to give lip service to the fans rather than tell a coherent story. The animated Star Wars Rebels TV show feels far far more like an actual Star Wars story than this movie.

Sorry for the wall of text: I just needed to get that off my chest.
    George Lucas approves of this post.
    :)) I've heard many fans say it's basically a remake of the first Star Wars film.
    I enjoyed it but wasn't "Blown Away" :)
    My new Blu Ray of Trancers starring Tim Thomerson & Helen Hunt. Just pure pleasure. I'd truly forgotten how much fun this film is...
    6706766_orig.jpg
    Mindhunters (2004)
    Standard find the killer movie, or an all action version of " And then there were none".
    It follows all the rules of the serial killer movie, all the usual twists etc but it is fun and
    very entertaining. -{ a group of trainee FBI agents are on an exercise on a deserted
    training island, when one by one they start coming down with a bad case of Death :D
  • PostiebearPostiebear Kent, UKPosts: 255MI6 Agent
    On her majesty secret service, still one of the best bond storylines but the outfits look dated now, esp the frilly shirt fronts
    Jonah Hex, I had read the bad reviews but actually enjoyed it a lot. Then again
    I loved The Wild, Wild West. :)
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,630Chief of Staff
    Pixels - quite funny for an Adam Sandler film !
    YNWA 97
    Adam Sandler, one of the reasons, I've never seen Pixels. :))
    Jonah Hex, I had read the bad reviews but actually enjoyed it a lot. Then again
    I loved The Wild, Wild West. :)

Legend has it that Clint Eastwood was lined up to play Jonah Hex in the 70's. The comic book series was really good.
    Megan Fox is always nice to look at :x
    The Losers, a bunch of CIA black ops guys are betrayed and left for dead. This was
    a fun action film, infact the sort of fun the A Team series had, and the film didn't .
    I just finished the first movie in my new Angela Mao Ying Collection, Broken Oath (1977). I had never seen it before as it came out after the Star Wars craze here, and I was no longer a solely dedicated Kung Fu movie nut, but WOW! This movie really rocks the insane martial arts cinema casbah! Not the insanity of say, Holy Weapon (1993) which was the pinnacle of Hong Kong martial insanity for me, but for old school-no wire stuff this was pretty crazy. A relatively decent revenge story, excellent photography, OTT Yuen Woo Ping choreography, and Angela making the most of her abilities.
    Plus some rapey nudity early on (not Angela). Not needed but hey- it was the 70's.
    English dub predictably sucked, Cantonese was okay, but Mandarin seemed the best to me.
    8/10 for this type of flick. Very re-visitable. :D
    Triple 9, A good but not great heist movie. Brilliant cast but somehow
    Something's missing, it just misses the mark.
    The Magnificent Seven (1960). To me this is the greatest film of all time and I watched it for the umpteenth time last night. The cast is amazing, the script is superb and the music is unbeatable. I just KNOW I am going to hate the remake when it's going to be released later this year :#
    Yes, I'm not looking forward to the remake ! :#
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    :)) I really enjoyed that film, I was hoping they would make the George smiley trilogy, but sadly not.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood