James Bond Car Collection - Questions and praise

Comments

• superadosuperado Regent's Park West (CaliforniaPosts: 2,652MI6 Agent
    Muks_C wrote:
    @ looking further down the list, i don't recognise most of them, so am considering cancelling my subscription after the next delivery.

I am going to get the entire collection not only because I think that the models are great and as a fan of cars and 007 I'm glad that they're not just doing all of the most famous cars from the films, but also for something of a more emotional reason.

My Dad offered to get all of the models for me and I jumped at the chance - but then I ran into a bit of a financial problem and he said that instead of the getting me the models he could write us a cheque - which he did and I was very thankful for at the time.

Dad died of a heart attack in April and I think that he'd like me to get the models as the entire collection is something that he'd have really liked to have seen.

Don't get me wrong, this isn't the only reason that I'm getting them but it is one of the reasons that I intend to get all 43 models, (including the Tank Litlle Nellie and half a Renault).

That was a beautiful gesture from your Dad and consider yourself blessed that he shared in your heartfelt interest, which doesn't come naturally with some dads.
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    ... it is one of the reasons that I intend to get all 43 models, (including the Tank Litlle Nellie and half a Renault).

Since my models are not coming by subscription I had to get that last three via eBay. I had no problem getting Nellie or the Renault but found quite alot of competition for the T-55. As a compleatist, I wanted it, though I don't think it's an especially attractive or interesting model. Odd, then, that it's fetching prices in excess of the other two.
  • Aston Martin DBSAston Martin DBS Derbyshire, EnglandPosts: 659MI6 Agent
    PoorMansJB wrote:
    ... it is one of the reasons that I intend to get all 43 models, (including the Tank Litlle Nellie and half a Renault).

Since my models are not coming by subscription I had to get that last three via eBay. I had no problem getting Nellie or the Renault but found quite alot of competition for the T-55. As a compleatist, I wanted it, though I don't think it's an especially attractive or interesting model. Odd, then, that it's fetching prices in excess of the other two.

For me the Goldeneye Tank stands out as the least detailed and least attractive of the models to date - but I guess that due to the size of the original it it would be harder to create in small scale - don't get me wrong - it's a good model - but not the best.

And (at the risk of getting some of you readers shaking your heads at me) I have opened all of my models and the tracks on the tank do move!
    "NEVER SAY NO TO ADVENTURES." Ian Fleming
    Earlier, I mentioned that I am not a completist...my hands are shaking and I'm not sure if that's true anymore...need...my...diecast...crack :#
    "...the purposeful slant of his striding figure looked dangerous, as if he was making quickly for something bad that was happening further down the street." -SMERSH on 007 dossier photo, Ch. 6 FRWL.....
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,279MI6 Agent
    I saw the blue sports car from Dr No in a newsagent the other day, what gives? Are some of these for sale in public now or not?
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Muks_CMuks_C Preston, Lancashire, UKPosts: 100MI6 Agent
    were there a few or just 1? maybe the owner of the shop is a subscriber and is selling his own copy?
    I doubt it Muks C, it was a newsagent where they do sell that sort of thing... it was in London's Soho.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Mr JimMr Jim Posts: 17MI6 Agent
    Can someone tell me what are the latest two issues to have been sent out?
    Having not recieved any cars for some time now i contacted JB car collection to find out why and was informed that this was because i had cancelled my subscription. News to me as i have no intention of doing such a thing.
    Upon asking for an explaination as to how this happened i was bombarded with a lot of questions which were all trying to put the blame on me!
    After eventually admitting it must be a mistake they have reactivated the account and have promised to send me out the cars. That was a while ago now and although the postal strike probably hasnt helped i still havent recieved any cars.
    The last one i have is the DN sunbeam and would just like to know how far behind i am now before i ring again - cheers
    edited October 2007
    yes the Lotus Esprit and Sunbeam were issues 16 and 17 respectively, then came the Triumph Stag from Diamonds...(18) and the MGB from Man with Golden Gun (19), these last 2 arrived at my house mid-September.

I was charged for 20 and 21 on 1st October but haven't received them yet.

so it looks like you've missed just 1 delivery (18 and 19) and should have been charged for 20 & 21 by now.

I keep note of the day I am charged and receive the models in a diary, so I know roughly when I should be charged and receive the following batch.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Here especially for superado so pics from the Cougar. I think, the damage and the skis are extremely well done...

Cougar pics
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Here especially for superado so pics from the Cougar. I think, the damage and the skis are extremely well done...

Cougar pics

Thank you Bondtoys! I think the Cougar is the most realistic and faithfully rendered model so far.
    Oh, so they're showing up on eBay... Hmmm. I bought the Dr No car yesterday, still not cheap at £8 a shot. They had the yellow car from DAF too. Apparently a guy has placed an order with the newsagent or something, sometimes they get two in. All a bit vague, but I'll pop in again. Still not all these models are so great or strike a chord with me.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Eh? :o The one I bought isn't the same as in the pic I don't think! The colour is a darker blue. What's going on? ?:)

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    received 20 and 21 today:

DBS_CR2.jpg

DBS_CR3.jpg

DBS_CR4.jpg

you can just about see the gun in the open glovebox of the DBS, hard to capture in a photo though. lookes very nice, i've been looking forward to this since the day i bought issue 1 and thought we'd have to wait till issue 40 for it, with it being the most recent Bond car.

Cougar1.jpg

Cougar2.jpg

Cougar3.jpg

Cougar4.jpg

would have been a nice touch if the DBS from CR had been 21 instead of 20, being the 21st Bond movie.

so we're just over half way now, the collection will be completed around August '08.

and i seem to have received this delivery ahead of schedule, i was only charged for it on the 1st October, and i usually receive them in the 20-somethings of the month, received 18 and 19 on the 22nd of September, so even if the postal strike delayed it, i've still got them earlier than i would have imagined.

maybe i'll have to wait longer for the next delivery though...
  • s96024s96024 Posts: 1,519MI6 Agent
    I got mine today as well. Shouldn't it finish around march time next year?
    if we get 2 issues per month, and have just received 20 and 21 in October, then there will be 9 more deliveries of 2 issues, then a final delivery of issue 40, meaning 10 more deliveries in total = 10 months from now, so around August next year.
    Your right. I thought it was 2 every fortnight. Doesn't seem like we've been collecting that long. I'm seriously running ut of display space now.
    i wouldn't mind if they did it 2 issues per fortnight (4 a month, so it'd average out to be 1 issue per week), it would certainly speed it up and lessen the boring 20-odd day wait between issues. it would end sooner too so we'd be cut free from the financial commitment we're in at the moment.
  • Steve Rush DI5 AgentSteve Rush DI5 Agent Oxfordshire, Great BritainPosts: 59MI6 Agent
    Hi all

I was also very surprised to receive Issues 20 - 21 this last weekend.

Now, my Direct Debit confirmation letter indicated that I would be billed for Model No. 40, on its own, on 1 July 2008.

I also recall that one of the earlier pairs of cars (can't remember which ones they were now) seemed to be very late in arriving.

Just to add a bit of spice to the discussion, I therefore wonder whether we might actually get two deliveries during October (the second coming towards the end of the month, as we are used to), so as to bring the collection back on schedule to finish in July of next year.

Just a thought.

Cheers

Steve
    yes maybe there will be a double-order sometime between now and the end, so we receive 2 deliveries in closer succession to end on issue 40 in July instead of August.
    Or maybe some more special models. :D
  • bondaholic007bondaholic007 LondonPosts: 878MI6 Agent
    its a good collection ive personal got them all so far there brilliant detail, but £7.99 is expensive but its worth it ....
    edited October 2007
    There not too bad for what they are. The detail is very good. Definitely worth it. Just not enough space to display well.
  • bondaholic007bondaholic007 LondonPosts: 878MI6 Agent
    I think that there should be 2 more extras like the acrostar jet from OP and Q's boat from TWINE I think they'll make good models
    They must ber intending to do some other extra models otherwise they wouldn't have put that question when signing up.
  • Aston Martin DBSAston Martin DBS Derbyshire, EnglandPosts: 659MI6 Agent
    its a good collection ive personal got them all so far there brilliant detail, but £7.99 is expensive but its worth it ....

I don't think that £7.99 is expensive at all - not when you consider how much the RRp is for a Corgi model - in a larger scale with a lot less detail on it.
    "NEVER SAY NO TO ADVENTURES." Ian Fleming
  • De BleuchampDe Bleuchamp Posts: 59MI6 Agent
    I have my Bond Car models on order at the local shop-so this wed. 24th Oct will pick up the OHMSS
    Mercury Cougar-but in the original list there was a Cadillac before it. I originally wrote on the list of 40 the wed. dates due and No.40 should be on 16th July 2008. If they cut any out, it may be sooner.
    As it's The CARS of James Bond, I don't think they'll have other vehicles like the Acrostar Jet.
    De Bleuchamp.
    "It'll take more than a few props to turn 007 into a Herald!"
    edited October 2007
    Cougar is 21 and the Cadillac is 22, according to the back page of issue 21's magazine. they must have just swapped these 2 around since the original list was published.
  • Mr JimMr Jim Posts: 17MI6 Agent
    Now that were halfway through the collection and can gain an idea of the space required to display the cars i was wondering if anyone is already displaying them and if so how? (Do you leave them in the display boxes, put them in delivery order or film order, have you got special shelves/lighting etc).
    I myself am not displaying them at moment as am waiting to move so have them neatly packaged but am thinking of display ideas and would like to know yours.
    haven't opened any of mine, and have them stacked on the top level of a 3-level metal shelf in my room, in delivery order (issue 1 bottom left with the 3 special models last).

P1020078_1.jpg

P1020081_1.jpg

i usually have one or 2 other models on the top level of the shelf too, with more non-Bond models on the lower shelves, as the Bond collection is only a small part of my whole model collection, which mainly consists of 1:18 and 1:43 F1 cars (mostly packed up in a few boxes until i get my own house in which i can have a "models room" with proper cabinets/shelves), plus a few other roadcars scattered around my room, plus some in the loft.

i might one day put them in film chronological order, but at the moment i like them in delivery order as i can look at the newest models easier if they're at the top.