The Madagascar Shirt - the deal

Comments

• EagleEagle UKPosts: 261MI6 Agent
    Regards methods of payment, what is acceptable?
    I expect it'll be unworkable without PayPal somewhere along the line. :)
  • AhmedAhmed Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    Please I want to buy a shirt, but maybe two
    No problem about the price
    How can I pay?
  • sruzgarsruzgar Welcome to ScotlandPosts: 1,468MI6 Agent
    edited February 2008
    It’s the time you have all been waiting for we are ready to start gathering your measurements for your shirt.

We are going to need the following:

chest / waist / x back (shoulder to shoulder)/ neck and nape (back of neck)to waist

I will post instructions on where to send the measurements by tomorrow.

Paul will be posting information regarding where to send payment. If anyone has any questions please let me know.

I am still waiting on confirmation regarding the availability of DC's measurements.

The shirt maker has said that they can put a label on the shirt with your name which I think is a good idea and will help us logistically. If anyone is oppose to this please let me know.

Here is the updated list of confirmed members:

KEO2EWW x 2
    sruzgar (maybe 2)
    The Mantis X 2
    Asp9mm x2
    Kittlemeier (maybe 2)
    Coldheart96 x 2
    texas007
    hoshi
    David Schofield
    Donald Grant (maybe 2)
    ddbl007
    David Brown 5
    Head of Section
    The Frogman x 2
    JB1962
    doctorlarry
    Eagle
    Shatterhand67
    TALLMAN
    themanbun
    Bluetone
    Riskbreaker
    Sir Miles
    DEVONKNIGHT
    bondtoys
    Inked
    cherokee12 (maybe 2)
    Cateran
    deadly
    Grishenko
    Seamast
    firefighter84
    Smithers500

38 pos 42
  • JonTremaineJonTremaine Posts: 19MI6 Agent
    I would like to purchase a shirt if it is available for $200. The more reasonable the price, the more people would buy in. I would love to buy one, but $300 is asking a lot for a shirt and minimizes your profit by excluding a lot of fans from buying one. Is there any way to negotiate a price around $150-200? How much would shipping be to the US?
    Thank you.
  • hoshihoshi Perth, AustraliaPosts: 27MI6 Agent
    Very excited by all this! I'll have measurements tomorrow. Regarding the name label, where will it be located? I would prefer if it could be in a discreet location, or easily removable when we receive the shirt - mine is a gift for my brother, who might feel odd running around with my screen name on his person.

Once again, huge thanks to all involved in this project.
  • Coldheart96Coldheart96 Florida , USAPosts: 203MI6 Agent
    Simon,

How about putting togther a little form showing the measurements you require. Something along the line that we see from Magnoli. Just a thought. Might be helpful to the shirtmaker.
    Bond: "Who would spend $1 million to kill me?"
    M: "Jealous husbands. Outraged chefs. Humiliated tailors. The list is endless!"
    What material is the shirt? Is it a cotton blend?
    I am definitely in for $200-$230. Any word on the cost of shipping?
    Thank you.
  • EagleEagle UKPosts: 261MI6 Agent
    Where are the shirts being made?

£150? Seems a lot...

Still in... just...
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    What material is the shirt? Is it a cotton blend?
    I am definitely in for $200-$230. Any word on the cost of shipping?
    Thank you.

hi there...sorry the price has been set...please read the whole thread for the why's/wherefores/wills/won'ts... :s
    hoshi wrote:
    Very excited by all this! I'll have measurements tomorrow. Regarding the name label, where will it be located? I would prefer if it could be in a discreet location, or easily removable when we receive the shirt - mine is a gift for my brother, who might feel odd running around with my screen name on his person.

Once again, huge thanks to all involved in this project.

sounds reasonable, but the nametag will be sown in and in a very discreet place, say in the side lining...so completely invisible (unless the shirt is worn inside-out! :))
    Eagle wrote:
    Where are the shirts being made?

£150? Seems a lot...

Still in... just...

Hi..the shirts will be sent out from the UK by me. If it'll get the postage costs down, I may send the USA shirts bulk to Simon who can walk them to your very door dressed in a copy of the ursula andress bikini ... :))

alternatively he'll just mail them to you...

glad you're still with us Eagle...even just...
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,334MI6 Agent
    Damn it to hell, put me back on the list...:))
    Simon,

How about putting togther a little form showing the measurements you require. Something along the line that we see from Magnoli. Just a thought. Might be helpful to the shirtmaker.

Good suggestion Coldheart96...does this help?..

http://i63.photobucket.com/albums/h160/pw86/measurments1.jpg

measurments1.jpg

now before i get the questions;

(1) no it's only a shirt...the other measurements just happend to be on this when i stole it!
    (2) simon is knocking up a web page for people to enter their measurements into..but hopefully this diagram will help.
    Can I buy yardage of the fabric, say a yard and a half to two? You said you would have some left over, so I would be more than willing to be buy some. Is it cotton?
    You said the label would be sewn into the lining, but does the shirt have a lining? Usually linings are reserved for suits.
    Thanks again.
  • texas007texas007 Houston, Texas 77041Posts: 2,350MI6 Agent
    Simon:
    How are we coming along on the DC size?
    If its possible, I would definitely go for two.
    Thank you!
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    A VERY important measurement will be ones bicep, I imagine....after all the shirt is snug to the bicep.

Also, do you know the measurements of a standard MEDIUM?
  • pwalsh9012pwalsh9012 UKPosts: 189MI6 Agent
    Hi Guys you can put me down for 1 shirt. I take it you are due to publish ordering and payment details soon.
    Sorry we are not going to be selling any material by the yard. That decision was made sometime ago, talk to Keo2eww if you have further questions regardingthat.

I am still waiting on a response regarding DC's measurements will let everyone know ASAP.

They did not ask for bicep measurtement she said it was un necessary unless we had any bodybuilders in the midst. Do you think we should include that.

The measurment form will be ready very soon and payment details will follow.

updated list

KEO2EWW x 2
    sruzgar (maybe 2)
    The Mantis X 2
    Asp9mm x2
    Kittlemeier (maybe 2)
    Coldheart96 x 2
    texas007
    hoshi
    David Schofield
    Donald Grant (maybe 2)
    ddbl007
    David Brown 5
    Head of Section
    The Frogman x 2
    JB1962
    doctorlarry
    Eagle
    Shatterhand67
    TALLMAN
    themanbun
    Bluetone
    Riskbreaker
    Sir Miles
    DEVONKNIGHT
    bondtoys
    Inked
    cherokee12 (maybe 2)
    Cateran
    deadly
    Grishenko
    Seamast
    firefighter84
    Smithers500
    HalfHitman HalfMonk
    pwalsh9012

40 pos 44
    "Remember, if you can't/won't go as far as $400 but would be in at $200, please indicate this....it's all about the final number of committeds, not our indicated price!...

Paul

However, if we get a lot more commitments than 50, then we'll consider making the discount now."

You guys are being really stubborn and unreasonable over this. I went through the forum of posts from beginning to end, and counted at least 20-25 more people who said they would definitely buy in at $200. That would bring the total to around 60-65 shirts, with some people possibly buying two, raising the total even more.
    By selling it at $300, you are cutting off your nose to spite your face and exluding true fans who want to buy the shirt, not sell it on ebay or to someone else. And all for what, so its considered exclusive? Even at 100 or 200 shirts it would still be exclusive. Get real guys, that comes off as elitist. You are preventing yourselves from making any money back, and selling as many shirts as you can, which was your original intent if I am correct, as I quoted above from previous posts. That is just bad business ethics. Don't you want to sell more shirts? It sounds like you aren't too interested in that. If not, you shouldn't have made this offer public.
    I would definitely purchase a shirt at $200, along with many, many other eager fans. I think $200 is more than enough money to ask for a shirt. I move to ask you to reconsider your asking price.
    Thank you.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited February 2008
    Well, if I calculate correctly, the GBP 100,-- /US$ 200 mark is absolutely utopic.

If I take it, that the cutting and making of the shirts is alone GBP 90/US$180,-- you see, that the shirt cannot reach the US$ 200,-- mark.

I calculate, that every shirt needs at least 4-5 meters of fabric, maybe more, which adds GBP 34/US$ 68,-- which totals to GBP 124,--/US$ 248,-.

If I add personalized tags, PayPal fees, eventually shipping, you see, that the US$ 300,-- price sounds reasonable.

Sorry, if I calculated something incorrectly, please let me know then.

P.S. My opinion: "stubborn" and "unreasonable" is absolutely wrong here. Everyone tried to put his best in, this is a project with lots of heartblood involved.

Bravo to the ones, who have brought all this up! {[]
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    "Remember, if you can't/won't go as far as $400 but would be in at $200, please indicate this....it's all about the final number of committeds, not our indicated price!...

Paul

However, if we get a lot more commitments than 50, then we'll consider making the discount now."

You guys are being really stubborn and unreasonable over this. I went through the forum of posts from beginning to end, and counted at least 20-25 more people who said they would definitely buy in at $200. That would bring the total to around 60-65 shirts, with some people possibly buying two, raising the total even more.
    By selling it at $300, you are cutting off your nose to spite your face and exluding true fans who want to buy the shirt, not sell it on ebay or to someone else. And all for what, so its considered exclusive? Even at 100 or 200 shirts it would still be exclusive. Get real guys, that comes off as elitist. You are preventing yourselves from making any money back, and selling as many shirts as you can, which was your original intent if I am correct, as I quoted above from previous posts. That is just bad business ethics. Don't you want to sell more shirts? It sounds like you aren't too interested in that. If not, you shouldn't have made this offer public.
    I would definitely purchase a shirt at $200, along with many, many other eager fans. I think $200 is more than enough money to ask for a shirt. I move to ask you to reconsider your asking price.
    Thank you.

This post really annoys me. Unreasonable!!! People have sweated blood over this project to bring it in at a VERY reasonable price of $300. There is going to be considerable loss of money and time for Paul over this, not to mention absolute logistical nightmare. The $300 is just a token considering what Paul and Simon have put into this. We should all be giving them an extra $50 per shirt just for the time and personal expense put in before the material was bought.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Tremaine, before you go swinging blindly you best have all the facts straight. As stated above the developers of this project will BE OUT SIGNIFICANT money even at the current prices. there is no profit here, quite the opposite. Also, you may notice there isn't a bonanza of people buying one of these so the idea of 1000 being sold is unreasonable.

Do you honestly think there is someone sitting on a thrown "bwahaha-ing" and setting up this project to EXCLUDE people??? That is outrageous. But here is a simple idea...if you think the shirt is too expensive do not buy it. There, that was easy, eh?
  • Smithers500Smithers500 Spectre IslandPosts: 1,343MI6 Agent
    The Mantis wrote:
    A VERY important measurement will be ones bicep, I imagine....after all the shirt is snug to the bicep.

Wasn't there an adjustable button on the sleeve possibly to accentuate one's bulging bicep? ?:)I seem to recall this on an earlier post which had a link to a detailed view of the shirt. Will the shirt feature this detail - whether functional or just for show?

BTW, all in favour of one's name appearing inside the shirt -preferably our real names rather than our user ID's - would look good on the usual makers label inside the collar, so don't mind if it's not discrete.

Really looking forward to this and I echo the earlier sentiments thanking those with the initiative to get this whole idea off the ground!
    Japanese proverb say, "Bird never make nest in bare tree".
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,680Chief of Staff
    "You guys are being really stubborn and unreasonable over this.

Quite the opposite, in my opinion !

The gentlemen behind this endeavour could very easily have set the price at $500 a shirt and probably not have broken even !
    These guys are making a LOSS on each shirt sold - cutting the price down to $200 a shirt would mean a bigger loss, even taking into account the possibility of increased shirt sales. And remember that there is a specific ammount of cloth only, not an endless supply.

Once again I'd like to publicly thank the people behind this venture for all their hard work in making this happen - oh yes, and their cash ;)
    YNWA 97
    I never said there was a 1000 people buying in, Mantis. I have my facts straight, why don't you get yours straight. You should read my post again. Maybe if the price was $200, they would get enough people to buy in to make back the money they put up. It is not my fault they ended up overpaying for the fabric. Why should everyone else be punished for that? If they are losing such a substantial amount of money, they shouldn't have taken this on or negotiated a better price.
    I am a costume designer and have been one for 4 years, so I have sewn, cut and patterned before. There is no possible way it takes 4 to 5 yards to make a short sleeve shirt. That is outrageous. Something is wrong there. Also, even expensive fabrics, silks, pleated, specialities, are not $68 a yard. This is a cotton, $68 a yard is a gross overestimate, even considering the fact it is a special pattern. With $300, you can buy a nice leather jacket or high end pair of shoes that you will wear everyday. Think about that.
    You don't seem to understand or want to acknowledge the fact that the lower the cost of the shirt, the more people will buy in, the more money you make back. You can't ignore that. Argue that fact for me please Mantis. You seem to think you are better than everyone else.
    The people running this also said they are going to have fabric left over, and will burn it or lock it up? That of course makes more sense instead of lowering the price and selling more shirts. If you end with fabric left over, and burn it or destroy it, shame on you when you could make more shirts and sell them at a reasonable price to people.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    edited February 2008
    How to alienate an entire community in two posts, well done Sir.

You have missed the point entirely. This is a limited edition shirt for a few collectors who want it. No profit, just love of collecting. And how dare you pontificate about someone overpaying for fabric after this has taken months of negotiation to get off the ground. It's not just about material, which is being reprinted for this run ONLY with certain caveats involved, but being hand tailored to the buyer by the same people that made the original for Craig.

I suggest you leave this topic alone if you have nothing constructive to say, there are many other threads were your trolling may be welcomed.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • KittlemeierKittlemeier U.S.Posts: 432MI6 Agent
    If I'm not mistaken, and no I don't want to read the whole thread again, the tailoring is going to run $180 per shirt. $200 ain't gonna cut it. What's not to understand?
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    edited February 2008
    Speaking only for myself...all of this recent sturm und drang by a Johnny-Come-Lately is only causing me to renew my efforts to somehow come up with the $300 necessary...still trying, fellows! :) Is there a 'drop dead' date yet??

My renewed congratulations and thanks to all of the protagonists in this endeavour; whether I'm ultimately able to 'buy in' or not...you guys are excellent examples of why this is the best Bond Site out there...

{[] {[] {[] {[] {[] {[]

Mr. Tremaine, I would urge you to do the legwork---make the same contacts, negotiate a better deal---and compete with these fine fellows, if you think you can best them. Failing that... :(|)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    edited February 2008

Paul

Thank you.

Hi mike

well, where to begin?...

1) CONTEXT...the phrase you have taken out of a whole paragraph/answer is just plain out of context...we were trying to grope for an optimal price/structure, which maximised the number of committeds but was economicallty feasible. After much debate, I arrived at the current pricing structure. Even this didn't meet everyone's idea of "exclusive", but it's where we are.

2) I won't lower myself to opine on your tone. Others here have done a good enough job. But what I would say is, if next time you go into a shop and try to take this tone with a salesperson in a store, please let me know in advance.

I want to come and watch.

No I want to sell tickets so other eager fans can come and watch too.

No, I want to give the tickets away so as many can come and watch as possible...

As regards business ethics, I'm sure you're right.

The idea someone would buy material out of their own pocket upfront, arrange for dozens to have shirts made below cost, and deal with all the "issues" that are sure to stem from payment/delivery/replication/error etc, is certainly plain business insanity.

Guilty your honour, as charged.

I'm truly sorry that this price is beyond you, and I respect your judgement that this is indeed the case. Each of us has to make that decision every day on many items.

Indeed, the purpose of price is to ration demand so as to meet supply.

mantis put a little harder, but the point is genuine.

No one is forcing you.

One final point, before this soap box gives way;

The original intent was to furnish the members of AJB. Those that support this site, with a variety of efforts that we all enjoy and benefit from.

Rather than be exclusive, we've chosen to include those who seem to show a passion for Bond, and yet are new to the site.

However, a few new members have indeed protested to such an extent, that I doubt I'm alone in wondering whether we should have been so open...

Perhaps it's my upbringing, but when I'm invited into a group I tend to behave a little more circumspectly, and with respect for others who have been around longer.

But to show no hard feelings, if you want to be involved, you're welcome.

rgds Paul

Oh and Bondtoys calculations are spot on and appreciated....I recall that the break even number of shirts at $200 was about 130...to be honest, I can't be bothered taking 100+ measurements, dealing with 100 postal enquiries, and trying to drag 100 souls to pay $200...

As you've read the whole thread, you'll recall the explanation why we're lot selling fabric raw.
    edited February 2008
    I POSTED THIS BEFORE I SEEN PAUL's RESPONSE BUT I THINK WE HAVE DEFENDED OURSELVES ENOUGH HERE!

Kittlemeier, You’re not mistaken it is going to cost close to $180 to have the tailor make the shirts, could it be done cheaper, I’m sure it could but this is the tailor who made the originals so it only makes sense to have them make it.

At $200 that would leave $20 to cover the cost of the fabric which is not even close to possible, it’s going to take close to 3 yards per shirt and the same people that make this fabric make it in lots of other patterns that sell online for close to $30 a yard. That would be about $90 for fabric so there we are already at $270 if the fabric in this pattern were readily available.

Being that it was not readily available we had to have them reprint it for us, they said they could only do a minimum of 1000 meters and I we were able to get that down to 500 meters without increasing the cost by much. I’d say that that some pretty good negotiating.

We would like nothing more that to sell these to everyone we could but when we originally proposed the idea there was not even enough people for us to offer this at $250 let alone $200.

$300 is the price and that subsidized by one member here, without whom this would not have been possible.

Yes we will have left over fabric and some people will come out the woodwork wanting shirts but we cant justfy selling them at alower price than everyone else paid.