The Madagascar Shirt - the deal

Comments

• The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Me thinking I am better than you? Absolutely not...and clearly you don't know me...but I am absolutely passionate about defending my friends and will so without remorse.

Done...back to the fun....{[]
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,489MI6 Agent
    The Mantis wrote:
    ...back to the fun....{[]

Woo hoo, bring on the gilded hippo's and dancin' girls bearing forth my shirt on a velvet pillow {[]
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • JonTremaineJonTremaine Posts: 19MI6 Agent
    I have only expressed my opinion in a direct and polite way. And if you don't speak up, you don't get what you want. Everyone has responded in a condescending manner, which is rude. I don't quite understand your quip about the salesperson. Salespeople are there to cater to the customer, at least good ones. If you don't speak up, people will walk over you.
    I work in the costume business, and I am passionate about my craft, as most are. I also love this shirt and as you can tell, want it badly, but it is slightly out of my price range. I'm sorry some of you see that as being rude.
    I would prefer to buy the fabric and make the shirt myself, but that is not possible and you think I will sell it to someone else. Why would I go through all this trouble and aggravation and then sell it for a few bucks? If I could go to the store and buy the fabric I would, and make the shirt. I offered to buy a shirt that is not tailored, or even 2 yards to make my own, but those requests have been denied. I find that unreasonable. I am trying to get more people to buy in so you can make more money back to lessen your losses.
    What is this site that sells a similar fabric?
    Thank you.
    Salespeople are there to cater to the customer, at least good ones.

Nuts, that's why I lost my job :#

Anyhoo, alls done, lesbe friends again. Remember the gided hippo's :v
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    I have only expressed my opinion in a direct and polite way. And if you don't speak up, you don't get what you want. Everyone has responded in a condescending manner, which is rude. I don't quite understand your quip about the salesperson. Salespeople are there to cater to the customer, at least good ones. If you don't speak up, people will walk over you.
    I work in the costume business, and I am passionate about my craft, as most are. I also love this shirt and as you can tell, want it badly, but it is slightly out of my price range. I'm sorry some of you see that as being rude.
    I would prefer to buy the fabric and make the shirt myself, but that is not possible and you think I will sell it to someone else. Why would I go through all this trouble and aggravation and then sell it for a few bucks? If I could go to the store and buy the fabric I would, and make the shirt. I offered to buy a shirt that is not tailored, or even 2 yards to make my own, but those requests have been denied. I find that unreasonable. I am trying to get more people to buy in so you can make more money back to lessen your losses.
    What is this site that sells a similar fabric?
    Thank you.

Think we've all had enough of this.

I think you'll find your comments about people thinking they're better than others, being shameful for not making shirts at a price that suits you, and having lousy business ethics, might be construed as rude.

Sorry if my jibe regarding your shopping-manner was a bit pointed. Just illustrating a point.

Agree with ASP9mm, let's move on and be friends.

But, before anyone gets any silly ideas, we're never doing dog-coats or tunics for hippos, gilded or otherwise....NEVER.. :s
    Does the $300 include shipping costs?

Would you at least please tell me the website that sells this fabric in other patterns?
    Thank you
    Does the $300 include shipping costs?

Would you at least please tell me the website that sells this fabric in other patterns?
    Thank you

Given shipping costs will vary depending on destination, obviously no. However, as I mentioned previously, we'll make evry endeavour to minimise these ... ( ok now I realise where you got the image of the gilded hippo from asp9mm...I said Simon would hand deliver in a Dr No bikini... :))

No idea on the website..sorry..
    ke02eww wrote:
    ok now I realise where you got the image of the gilded hippo from asp9mm...I said Simon would hand deliver in a Dr No bikini... :))

No idea on the website..sorry..

There's a website with Simon dressed up like a gilded hippo in a bikini.... excellent :x
    I apologize for all the questions and flaring tempers.

Is it a possibility to buy a shirt that is not tailored, without all the labels and such, for less than the 300?
    Or, would you sell yardage of the fabric at full price, since you guys are the only ones who have it?
    Thank you.
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    This was the website picture referred to with pic of Simon....gilded et al....

ar_hippo.jpg
    Jon, unfortunately not. The fabric cannot be sold by the yard as stipulated by the supplier when agreeing to reprint it. To do this would also undermine all of those people who are paying the full amount. The deal as agreed by the majority on here to protect both our investments of a collectable limited shirt and the supplier and buyers of the material, is that they will all mbe made to the same standard and supplied to people who agree not to sell them on for a profit.

That is the deal, take it or leave it, the options are not there for a discussion, and I think those that have put their names forward to buy this shirt would agree 100% with this.
    The Mantis wrote:

ar_hippo.jpg

Now that's what Indy should be going for in the next movie {[] I was expecting nipples though.
    The Mantis wrote:

ar_hippo.jpg

how do you do it Mantis?...

gilded too...
  • sruzgarsruzgar Welcome to ScotlandPosts: 1,468MI6 Agent
    Guys I look nothing like a hippo, come on!

All I have to say:

under+the+kilt.jpg

now back on topic
    May I have the name of the supplier please? Maybe they have a fabric that is similar. I have been looking myself but not able to find anything close.
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    Well, it's time for me to jump in here. The people who ponied up the money to buy the frabric have the right to charge what ever they want to for a shirt. Having done similar with commissioning two 1:1 Bond busts, I understand the position of the seller. People gripe from time to time that the cost of one of my busts are too high, but they did not have to pay for the original sculpt, the mold, or the on going purchase of resin in order to make copies.

I don't sense that anyone is trying to get rich here, but the bottom line is the seller(s) can charge whatever they want in order to recoup costs and also, if they wish, make a profit. That is of course if the market will bare it. It's called capitalism, and our fictitious Mr. Bond has worked hard in his time to protect the notion of it.

In case you did not understand, you can't buy fabric, and the price for one shirt is $300.00. If you buy more than one shirt the cost is less. I could understand if in the initial stages of this endeavor you spoke up, but you didn't and the price was settled long ago. So, buckeroo, put up or shut up.

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
    Right, that's it. You lot are officially insane and I'm off to bed. I would like to leave you with what must be the quote of the day, well, night...

The Mantis wrote:
    Do you honestly think there is someone sitting on a thrown "bwahaha-ing"
  • Coldheart96Coldheart96 Florida , USAPosts: 203MI6 Agent
    edited February 2008
    All,

If I may. First, I would like to extend my kudos (military term) to everyone who has worked so hard to make this project a reality. I can only imagine the difficuties you have encountered over the last couple of months and the feeling of triumph knowing you have succeeded in making something happen. I just spent the last hour reading through this thread from start to finish. Lots of great ideas and suggestions along the way. Personally, I think you are way past the "great idea" part and well into the execution phase of this operation. Now having said that, I can see why others feel they are being excluded because the price of the shirt exceeds their "reservation" price and they are looking for possible options. I can understand that. $300.00 dollars for a shirt! Only someone with the means and the opportunity would spend that kind of money on one item of clothing, which in reality, has no practical value. However, I see it not as a shirt but as a unique opportunity to buy an exlusive piece of memorabilia. Funny, I never thought of myself as a collector of Bond memorabilia. Everything I own that would be considered "Bond" related is not a replica, but an actual product protrayed in a movie. Yes, I've spend large sums on items (Omegas ain't cheap!) and I've own firearms, both Walthers and others, for almost 30 yrs. I would never buy a replica if I could buy the real thing (Sorry about you guys in the UK over the gun thing!). I purchase these not to put under glass as a shrine, but because I like the appeal of the product and typically use them in everyday life (except the guns...my office provides those). I saw the Madagascar shirt and thought to myself that it would be a nice piece to add to my closet. I enjoy many aspects of the clothing choices in the Bond films. So, I'll buy 1 shirt because I like it and will wear it, except in the office...everyone there has seen the movie and I would definitely be hazed for it. The only reason I am purchasing the 2nd shirt is to do my part to make this happen. What will I do with it, who knows...You can bet I'll honor the gentleman's agreement over the purchase. Why you ask, because like many here, I've met some really great people (and some condesending ones too) who share a common interest. I travel internationally quite often and London is a frequent stopover. Hopefully, I'll have the opportunity to meet others in person someday. I think many of the serious collectors on this site would agree..."If you cannot afford everything, put you money toward the 1 item that would give you the most enjoyment." If that is the shirt, great! If its the watch, fantastic! If you've purchased an Astin Martin, dude...do you need a friend to help you drived it? Bottom line...doesn't matter! The price is the price and if it is important for you to have a shirt then put your name on the list. If you are convinced that you cannot do it, then I suggest you begin your own search for someone who will produce the replica for you. Maybe Magnoli will do something if enough people are interested. Anyway, my $00.02 and I welcome any comments.
    Bond: "Who would spend $1 million to kill me?"
    M: "Jealous husbands. Outraged chefs. Humiliated tailors. The list is endless!"
  • Shatterhand67Shatterhand67 Safe HousePosts: 424MI6 Agent
    edited February 2008
    At the risk of offending those who are still trying (in vain) to get the price lowered, I submit to you that art imitates life and vice versa. As such, I offer you a scene from the movie "Dumb and Dumber":

LLOYD: What are the chances of a guy like you and a girl like me... ending up together?

MARY: Well, that's pretty difficult to say.

LLOYD: Hit me with it! I've come a long way to see you, Mary. The least you can do is level with me. What are my chances?

MARY: Not good.

LLOYD: You mean, not good like one out of a hundred?

MARY: I'd say more like one out of a million.

(LONG, PREGNANT PAUSE...)

LLOYD: So you're telling me there's a chance!

Please excuse my acerbic wit.

X-(
    "I musht be dreaming."
    Thats not really wit shatterhand, thats more of a childish sense of humor, bordering on being a jackass. One thing I have learned is to never give up, it doesnt hurt to ask, now does it.
    At least Coldheart had the compassion and maturity to speak like an adult and offer alternatives, and not lash out. Read his post and re-read yours. Thats the difference between an adult and someone who needs to grow up.
    edited February 2008
    Jon...Nice diatribe! Sorry you didn't appreciate my appropriately-placed, obscure pop culture reference.

As far as never giving up. Let me just say that you need to know when to hold em and know when to fold em.

Lezbee friends :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p :p

Simon, can I change my screen name to "jackass"? I think it's kinda catchy.
    "I musht be dreaming."
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    I think we need to start manufacturing pins saying "I support the makers of this shirt!"

{[]

JonTremaine, the shirt is too expensive for me as well. But that doesn't give me any right to be rude to these fine gentleman who have done the members of this board a great service, and it doesn't give you that right either. It isn't their fault we can't afford it.
    Nightshooter, I second that emotion. And by the way, if you are in bed with Solitaire, you are my idol.

Cheers!
    "I musht be dreaming."
    ke02eww wrote:
    quick update:

from the Qantas lounge in Hong Kong airport, en route to Melbourne

I'm going to be "down under" for a week, and updates may be few and far between, but rest assured this is progressing;

while the material contact is on vaca now (not with me I hasten to add...) she recognises we've made an official order, so it can't cool as I'd previously feared.

please continue to express firm interest on this thread, and we'll be keeping "score"...

we'll consider the ebay pre-order route, it may work....

oh and of course we'll need measurements etc soon, so get those tape measures started up...

oh Rachel, as you're in for a dress, please PM me all your measurements B-)

So its ok for you to sell her a dress in the fabric?

You guys are hypocrites. And nightshoot, I was not rude, I was forward. You obviously are passive-aggressive. Don't tell me what right I have and don't have. I make that decistion, not some bozo like you.
    I also like how all you guys totall ignored the people who had valid ideas and arguments to bring down the costs.

So its ok for you to sell her a dress in the fabric?

You guys are hypocrites. And nightshoot, I was not rude, I was forward. You obviously are passive-aggressive. Don't tell me what right I have and don't have. I make that decistion, not some bozo like you.
    I also like how all you guys totall ignored the people who had valid ideas and arguments to bring down the costs.

DUDE! You REALLY need this website:
    http://www.englishplus.com/grammar/
    "I musht be dreaming."
    DUDE, you really need this website :
    http://www.ima****head.com/

you are so funny, pointing out grammatical mistakes. thats so original. you are such a joker.
    edited February 2008
    DUDE, you really need this website :
    http://www.ima****head.com/

you are so funny, pointing out grammatical mistakes. thats so original. you are such a joker.

Koowull. Yoo ah wicked smot.
    "I musht be dreaming."
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    JonTremaine, let me be the first to wish you farewell. I'm pretty sure the mods realize that you've overstayed your welcome.

By the way, are you sure you understand what the definition of rude is? Here, I'll give it to you:
    Rude

Adjective

1. Socially incorrect in behavior; "resentment flared at such an unmannered intrusion".
    2. (of persons) lacking in refinement or grace.
    3. Lacking civility or good manners; "want nothing from you but to get away from your uncivil tongue"- Willa Cather.

Seems to me like you exhibit definitions 1, 2, AND 3. In some places, they might call that a triple threat. Here, we call it a jerk. Be seeing you.
    Hit a nerve, did I nightshoot. I shall be seeing you. Around
  • MisterMan57MisterMan57 Posts: 67MI6 Agent
    Hi gents,
    I just found this site and had to sign up. Big fan of CR. I am on the fence about ordering a shirt, so I was wondering when is the last date to place an order?

and

Is there an approximation on will the shirts be shipped out?

Thanks