The Madagascar Shirt - the deal

Comments

• cpoulos62cpoulos62 Station UPosts: 451MI6 Agent
    A7ce wrote:
    Can't believe I 've never seen this topic before and have just read all 14 pages.

I'm just a DVD collcetor and a couple of books and am not into the shirts and accesories etc.

Why don't people who cannot stump up for a $300 dollar shirt but feel comfortable around the $250'ish mark, go in with some one buying a shirt and share the costs.

eg
    Buyer A buys one shirt at $300 for self
    Buyer A buys 2nd shirt at £230 for Buyer B

Costs for Buyer A and Buyer B = $300+$200 /2 =$265 for each buyer (£132.50)

eg
    Buyer A buys one shirt at $300 for self
    Buyer A buys 2nd shirt at £230 for self
    Buyer A buys 3rd shirt at £230 for Buyer B

Costs for Buyer A and Buyer B = $300+$230+$230 /3 =$253 for each buyer(£126.50)

I thought we were here to help each other ....?

Brilliant idea .... cheers ... {[]
  • DEVONKNIGHTDEVONKNIGHT CanadaPosts: 100MI6 Agent
    Good idea, but not fair for those who only buy just the one shirt alone, and thus are paying more. Personally, I feel that we shouldn't even have the option of a second shirt at $230. All shirts should be the one price of $300, whether you buy one or more than one, so everyone all pays the same price for the shirt.
  • texas007texas007 Houston, Texas 77041Posts: 2,350MI6 Agent
    Totally agree on the idea of one single price - whatever that end up to be - very fair - for buyers and seller - one fair price - again keep it simple.
  • Head of SectionHead of Section Northern NJPosts: 204MI6 Agent
    Is it time yet where we have to say absolutely whether we're in for 1 or 2 shirts?
    "Resurrection."
  • sruzgarsruzgar Welcome to ScotlandPosts: 1,468MI6 Agent
    edited February 2008
    Here is an updates list, so far we have 27 possibly 29:

KEO2EWW x 2
    sruzgar (maybe 2)
    The Mantis X 2
    Kittlemeier (maybe 2)
    Coldheart96 x 2
    texas007
    hoshi
    David Schofield
    Donald Grant
    ddbl007
    David Brown 5
    Head of Section
    The Frogman x 2
    JB1962
    doctorlarry
    Eagle
    Shatterhand67
    TALLMAN
    themanbun
    Bluetone
    Riskbreaker
    Sir Miles
    DEVONKNIGHT

The idea is that YOU can get a second shirt for YOURSELF at $230 not a second shirt that you can sell to someone else or try to sell on ebay.

As some of you have stated this "group buying" idea is simply not fair.

We have worked long and hard on this projecect, a conciderable amount of money has been invested (most of whihc will not be recouped) the $300 represents a subsidised cost to you!
  • A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
    Personally I wouldn't buy it for a dollar as I think it's quite ghastly - but respect to you all in believing in something and getting it to market as no other course was available.

And to make something exclusive doesn't have to expensive or in a very small quantity. As someone mentioned in a previous post even if u made 1000, that's pretty exclusive in a population of 6 billion. Heck if you made 1000 u could wear one in London and never bump into anyone wearing it at the same time - and you're selling globally. And as someone else mentioned even if u did see someone in the shirt anywhere you'd know they were a Bond fan and an AJB'er at that!

I don't know why you are going the route of 'we will have loads of material left', ' won't do anything further for 12 months', 'might burn the material', etc. If you've got the material, use it. The swatches is a good idea and some consolation for those who were unable to get a shirt.

When you say '

The idea is that YOU can get a second shirt for YOURSELF at $230 not a second shirt that you can sell to someone else or try to sell on ebay. '

I think everyone here has a gentleman's agreement not to put on ebay but as for 'sell to someone else' we are talking about passionate people on here - you have already excluded other forums etc with the primary focus on Ajb.

So if a second shirt is sustainable at a lower price and would cost a buyer of two a lesser price each, then just work backwards from the lower price to see what the maximum even number of shirts would be for you all to break even, let the gang know that number - and i'm sure that some people will at the 250 mark will find 265 easier to achieve than 300.

Any hows, not my problem, all the best
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    thx for taking the time to read all 14 pages...i did just the same the other night, when compiling the final offer....I tried to take the spirit of all those who've shown an interest, into the deal.

In that light, you've made some good points, and this is how I see it;

1) the offer is for multiple shirts.
    2) there will be more than a gentleman's agreement on no ebay..
    3) we're all grown up on here, and if such "group" buys take pace, well just like what happens inside the bedroom, how the hell will any of us know?...
    4) however, the no ebay policy will be policed pretty harshly. I have a personal lawyer, and I work for a US firm who allow me private council in the US. I'll have no problem taking this the whole 9 yards if i feel it necessary.
    5) regarding exclusivity, 50-75 is plenty and yet very exclusive.
    6) the issue with what happens to the material is important to most of us, esp me. Those who know me know i'm a gentleman, and a man of my word. The exclusivity of the project is very important to me.
    7) shame you think it ghastly; send me a pic of you and i'll get photo-shopping to show you what you'll look like in one :)

rgds Paul
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    Gotta agree with A7ce in that a limited run of 250, 500 or even 1000 is still incredibly limited. But I'm just saying that cause I don't want to spend $300 on it. ;)
    edited February 2008
    below 100 would be limited - OK may be 500 to some - but anything beyond that is mass production - mass production may be appealing to some, but then there are those who will buy something when it is really limited - make it more desirable - again to some people.
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    Still mulling over a second shirt. You can put me down as a maybe for now on shirt number two. Should have a definite answer within a few days.

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Bondtoys is in for one and I strongly support the idea to keep it simple with US$ 300,-- each regardless the number that is ordered.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Gotta agree with A7ce in that a limited run of 250, 500 or even 1000 is still incredibly limited. But I'm just saying that cause I don't want to spend $300 on it. ;)

Ditto here as I mentioned this before. But the final pricing and quantity is up to the Sr Members who took this mission. I truly appreciate their hard work and cheers to them. {[]

I am a little sad because unfortunately this is currently priced above what I am willing to spend for a shirt. I just want to make sure that everyone has an opportunity to own one.

But I digress; does anyone know what is the maximum number of shirts that can be produced from the material purchased?? This may make the whole LIMITED run debate a mute point.
    PW already stated this:

"This is intended to be a single run affair. Given it'll take 4-5 meters to do each shirt, and we have only 500m, there is a clear maximum of 100-125 shirts anyway, excluding swatches."
    texas007 wrote:
    PW already stated this:

"This is intended to be a single run affair. Given it'll take 4-5 meters to do each shirt, and we have only 500m, there is a clear maximum of 100-125 shirts anyway, excluding swatches."

texas007, thanks for the information.

Could we just divide the fabric with tailoring by 125 and this would be the final price ... period. I know it would be fair to me and perhaps clear the air for others ... :))
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,334MI6 Agent
    Hey gents - I'm not here to criticize the price or challenge you, as I have no idea of the inner machinations that made this project happen. I'm genuinely impressed with this venture.

Just wanted to politely resurface and say that I posted that I'd be in at $200, but $300's just not where I'm at with this shirt. I'll keep an eye on the thread (you mentioned reassessing if you don't fill out the slots), but best of luck to you and congratulations on a great grass-roots collectible endeavor!
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    Don't forget me :#
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    When we initially proposed this we had no where near 100 responses and thought it unlikley that we would sell that many and also wanted to keep it much more limited than that.

Based on the initial feedback we decided to shoot for 50 shirts. Here is the updated list:

KEO2EWW x 2
    sruzgar (maybe 2)
    The Mantis X 2
    Kittlemeier (maybe 2)
    Coldheart96 x 2
    texas007
    hoshi
    David Schofield
    Donald Grant (maybe 2)
    ddbl007
    David Brown 5
    Head of Section
    The Frogman x 2
    JB1962
    doctorlarry
    Eagle
    Shatterhand67
    TALLMAN
    themanbun
    Bluetone
    Riskbreaker
    Sir Miles
    DEVONKNIGHT
    bondtoys
    Asp9mm

29 confirmed! pos 32
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    X2, possibly three depending on whether I'm employable then :D
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
    edited February 2008
    ke02eww wrote:
    thx for taking the time to read all 14 pages...

7) shame you think it ghastly; send me a pic of you and i'll get photo-shopping to show you what you'll look like in one :)

rgds Paul

Hey it's ok, it's just that I personaly don't do floral stuff - but I applaud the spirit as this could have been some other item I wass interested in and couldn't get from any where else and i'd be in.

Once this is, and will be a success, we as a group could loook to other items in the future from new films or past films.

Still think though that a 1000 in 6 billion is limited !!!
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    cpoulos62 wrote:
    texas007 wrote:
    PW already stated this:

texas007, thanks for the information.

Could we just divide the fabric with tailoring by 125 and this would be the final price ... period. I know it would be fair to me and perhaps clear the air for others ... :))

thx everyone for chipping in to clarify things..but yes i mentioned the "maximum"more to reassure those who want the minimum of these shirts made and were worried about 2nd runs.

I hope I assuaged their fears.

I'm truely sorry that this will be outside some budgets, and I wish we could remedy this to EVERYONE's satisfaction.

But one thing that I've learned since starting this project over 4 months ago; that you can't please everyone any of the time.

We've been debating the pricing structure throughout this time, and indeed, it delayed the order placement which tipped us over the xmas edge, and we're still discusing it in late February!...

Anyway, I would like to put a period under this now. The pricing structure as discussed above is the final one, only to be reviewed if we fail to meet the threshold I discussed above.

At the moment, and in spite of Simon's math and bad memory ;% we're homing in on that number.

thx to everyone that's committed thus far.

Paul
    What do you expect from a jock! any word on the delivery?
  • InkedInked Posts: 61MI6 Agent
    edited February 2008
    Hey guys, i'm new around here (was lurking for a while last year) but had been looking for a similar shirt to the one worn in CR (obviously with no luck)

I would be interested in getting one of these shirts if thats ok (apprx £150 / $300 sounds like a bargain to me - Not to the wife but hey, she'll spend that amount on a handbag and I don't understand that when she has 20 of the damn things, at least this is gonna be very limited)
    Welcome aboard, I have added you to the list!

KEO2EWW x 2
    sruzgar (maybe 2)
    The Mantis X 2
    Kittlemeier (maybe 2)
    Coldheart96 x 2
    texas007
    hoshi
    David Schofield
    Donald Grant (maybe 2)
    ddbl007
    David Brown 5
    Head of Section
    The Frogman x 2
    JB1962
    doctorlarry
    Eagle
    Shatterhand67
    TALLMAN
    themanbun
    Bluetone
    Riskbreaker
    Sir Miles
    DEVONKNIGHT
    bondtoys
    Asp9mm
    Inked

confirmed: 30 pos 33
  • DEVONKNIGHTDEVONKNIGHT CanadaPosts: 100MI6 Agent
    ke02eww wrote:

3) we're all grown up on here, and if such "group" buys take pace, well just like what happens inside the bedroom, how the hell will any of us know?...

You could eliminate this totally by selling the shirts at one set price, or as someone else suggested, take the average of the cost of the first shirt and a second shirt and charge that one set price which would work out to $265. At that price you would most likely get more takers and also eliminate the "group buys".
  • cherokee12cherokee12 Posts: 21MI6 Agent
    Hi,

Please add me to that list, possibly for two and definitely for one.
    Looking forward to it :)

Regards
  • Shatterhand67Shatterhand67 Safe HousePosts: 424MI6 Agent
    edited February 2008
    I've seen a lot of people say that they might be in for $250 or $265 but c'mon, let's get real brothers...If you pay $300 which is just north of your ideal price is your quality of life going to be diminished in any way shape or form? I think not. I was on record as a $250 man myself but when I found that the final price is $300 I really didn't have any problems with that. It's close enough. Plus I think we have to trust the guys that have done the due diligence and have prepared to make a rather large investment to underwrite the project. It seems that even at $300 the project will be heavily subsidized by a few for the benefit of many. Just trying to be a pragmatic voice of reason here to get more of the $250 people to belly up to the bar. Just my 2 cents...

Cheers! -{
    "I musht be dreaming."
  • Coldheart96Coldheart96 Florida , USAPosts: 203MI6 Agent
    I've seen a lot of people say that they might be in for $250 or $265 but c'mon, let's get real brothers...If you pay $300 which is just north of your ideal price is your quality of life going to be diminished in any way shape or form? I think not. I was on record as a $250 man myself but when I found that the final price is $300 I really didn't have any problems with that. It's close enough. Plus I think we have to trust the guys that have done the due diligence and have prepared to make a rather large investment to underwrite the project. It seems that even at $300 the project will be heavily subsidized by a few for the benefit of many. Just trying to be a pragmatic voice of reason here to get more of the $250 people to belly up to the bar. Just my 2 cents...

Cheers! -{

Couldn't have said it better!!!!
    Bond: "Who would spend $1 million to kill me?"
    M: "Jealous husbands. Outraged chefs. Humiliated tailors. The list is endless!"
    KEO2EWW x 2
    sruzgar (maybe 2)
    The Mantis X 2
    Kittlemeier (maybe 2)
    Coldheart96 x 2
    texas007
    hoshi
    David Schofield
    Donald Grant (maybe 2)
    ddbl007
    David Brown 5
    Head of Section
    The Frogman x 2
    JB1962
    doctorlarry
    Eagle
    Shatterhand67
    TALLMAN
    themanbun
    Bluetone
    Riskbreaker
    Sir Miles
    DEVONKNIGHT
    bondtoys
    Asp9mm
    Inked
    cherokee12 (MAYBE 2)

31 pos 34
    If it will help us cross the finish line, please count me in for two also - one DC size and one tailored - thanks