The Madagascar Shirt - the deal

Comments

• David Brown 5David Brown 5 Posts: 20MI6 Agent
    sorry didnt get mess. sounds good let me know where and when.

D.B.5
  • DEVONKNIGHTDEVONKNIGHT CanadaPosts: 100MI6 Agent
    If I'm going to go in for $300, I definitely don't want another run offered for less down the road. That just wouldn't be fair. How many shirts would you have to sell to bring the cost down to around the $200 mark? At this moment I'm leaning towards yes, but would like the assurance of those involved that it would be a one-time run only.
  • Head of SectionHead of Section Northern NJPosts: 204MI6 Agent
    I am in. I'm on the fence whether I get two shirts or one, but I am absolutely in for at least one.
    "Resurrection."
  • cpoulos62cpoulos62 Station UPosts: 451MI6 Agent
    I regret to say I am out at $300. Too rich for me. While the shirt is awesome and would love to own, at $300 it exceeds my cost to benefit. Thanks to those who's tireless effert made this possible. Congrats to those who can purchase at this price.

One final question, rather then having these made to order, would the price be more cost effective if they are made to standard sizes of S, M , L and XL?
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    I'm out for $300 as well. Too much for a shirt that isn't versatile enough to wear with many different outfits.

Hope to see lots of pictures of the finished product, just for fun, though!
  • sruzgarsruzgar Welcome to ScotlandPosts: 1,468MI6 Agent
    $300 is currently (roughly) about 150GBP.

I think we are going to keep this ata one run deal as I agree its not to fair for people to get them ata later date for a reduced price.

We are looking do do no more than $50 shirts to keep this somewhat exlusive/limited so your getting somehting really special for your money.

Let me know if there is anymore questions
  • The FrogmanThe Frogman shark reefPosts: 8MI6 Agent
    I'm still very much in.

excellent work gentlemen
  • MacrossmasterMacrossmaster Tulsa, OKPosts: 73MI6 Agent
    Definitely out at that price. I'm not trying to be impertinent, but why the need for such exclusivity? Wouldn't maximum benefit be had by creating as many as possible, thus lowering the price for all?

Also, why not undercut what will eventually happen anyhow – sales on eBay, - by offering up a run of 10 shirts, and selling them exclusively through eBay first? Thus initial market thirst is exploited, and those who put in their hard earned money to buy the fabric might see some recompense out of this run of 10. Just an idea.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,621Chief of Staff
    ke02eww wrote:
    Finally, we've decided on a price;

$300 per shirt.

Okay - time to sit down with the 'boss' and discuss this. I'll let you know as soon as I can.
    YNWA 97
    Incidentally, is there a specific reason why we wouldn't want to open the project up to more buyers (ie: Ebay buyers, as an item on jamesbondlifestyle.com, etc.) as a method to bringing the cost down?
    "Resurrection."
  • JB1962JB1962 USAPosts: 194MI6 Agent
    I'm still in at $300.
  • doctorlarrydoctorlarry Posts: 14MI6 Agent
    i guess you can count me in....gulp
    Determining the final price is based on the number of shirts to be made. I saw the list of interested agents and that number is around 50 but I do not think you took into consideration people who wanted more then 1 shirt.

I am also convinced (please correct me if I am wrong), that if we had the manufacture create the shirts in standard S, M and L sizes, costs should drop. If agents want them fitted, their personal tailor should be able to ablige. I am not convinced that it would take anything away from authenticity of this item.

I would like to suggest that we start 2 new chat topics for those who would commit at $300 and those who would commit at $200. BUT, for how many shirts too. I am convinced that at $200, you would get 60-70 shirts sold rather then 30-40 at $300. I would not be surpriced that at $150 the commitment would be over 100. But one would not know until we do this. What would it hurt to see?
  • ddbl007ddbl007 USPosts: 46MI6 Agent
    I'm possibly on my own here, but I'm all for a reduced number of shirts being made and an increased price!

I want my shirt to be made just for me and I want it to be one of very few around. I like the exclusivity. there's something about everyone having one that'd make it seem a whole lot less special to me.

Dave.
  • texas007texas007 Houston, Texas 77041Posts: 2,350MI6 Agent
    I am in with you Dave - lets make it exclusive and a one time run - after all the team has done so much, lets try to keep this simple and get it done - a limited one time run production - and we all can move on to other topic.
    That is rediculous. I do not agree with limiting the shirt to only a hand full of agents by pricing it so high if it may not be needed. In that case, why not $500 or $1000 each?? This true mission was not for the HAVES vs the HAVE NOTS but something nice for ALL ajb007 agents to have the opportunity to obtain. Does 50 or 100 or even 200 shirts make it any less desirable or limited? I think not!
  • TylerTyler Posts: 184MI6 Agent
    You are missing the point totally. The guys that are behind this project are putting up big bucks to get this material made in the first place and then get the shirts made on top of that. If $300 is too much for ya...then its too much. You're out. Period. This is a big enough undertaking without certain people whining about sizing and price. They made it clear from the get go what the price could be, in a best and worst case scenario. Now we know the deal all they want to know is yes or no.
    Never fear the event
    edited February 2008
    Tyler wrote:
    If $300 is too much for ya...then its too much. You're out. Period. This is a big enough undertaking without certain people whining about sizing and price.

Wow.... I wasn't expecting THAT kind of a response.

I was just asking if there is a benefit to extending the order beyond a handful of devotees on ABJ007. I'm sure there's probably a valid reason for not doing that -- I was just asking because I don't know what that reason is.
    "Resurrection."
  • TylerTyler Posts: 184MI6 Agent
    Head of Section, that response wasn't aimed at you, but at the post previous to mine. The guys trying to get this shirt made, cannot keep changing the goalposts! its impossible to please everybody all of the time.
    Never fear the event
  • EagleEagle UKPosts: 261MI6 Agent
    edited February 2008
    $300? So be it. I'm still in (just) but for just one.

I want this to be an exclusive, one-off run however. I'm willing to sign a 'no eBay resale' agreement but only on the condition that there won't ever be any more made.

Deal? :007)

_
  • MacrossmasterMacrossmaster Tulsa, OKPosts: 73MI6 Agent
    With all due respect to the others in the thread, even if 1,000 shirts were made, the chances of running into someone else wearing it somewhere in the world are pretty slim. Besides – what a great way to ID another Bond fan! ;)

Also, my understanding is this:
    1. Of the group that has invested, some want a "highly limited costume replica" – understandable, as they put up the cash.

2. A sizeable sum was involved in obtaining the fabric.

Now, if reason 1 is priority 1, II understand why exclusivity and high price are necessary. However, if I were involved in purchasing the fabric, I myself would want to see as many as possible be manufactured, thus using the fabric to its fullest AND potentially turning a profit while benefitting the largest numbers of fans.

You can do what you like – it's your money, and since I haven't put up a dime, feel free to do as you wish. :)

However, there might be some parties out there that can afford $300 shirts that might not mind having 3 $100 shirts, and that might not mind having a backup or two in case of exploding embassies.

Hope this is read in the spirit in which it is intended.
  • Shatterhand67Shatterhand67 Safe HousePosts: 424MI6 Agent
    edited February 2008
    Well, in a previous post I said I was in at the $250 range so $300 isn't that far off that mark. Count me still in. Congratulations to everyone involved in the project for a job well done.
    {[]
    "I musht be dreaming."
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    guys...

sorry for the brief response but i'm on the road in the middle east so time is short...

firstly, thx for the increased confidence of commitment (generally)...YES WE NEED TO GET THIS PUT TO BED!

secondly, please let's keep it clean...we're all fans on here, and I assure you, the whole escapade has been to benefit AS MANY AS POSSIBLE , but recognising that simple math prevents us from taking this to zero cost, even if we wanted to. (yes, the shirt manufacturer want to limit the number...)

thirdly, this shirt only has value if it's somehow rare and exclusive...my lady simply hates it...I guess your will too... It's for those "guy moments" or collections like mine of DZ's...

finally, let's try to reach a concensus soon, involving as many as possible, but without changing the price metric too much..hence my suggestion of a 2nd run later ONLY TO THOSE INVOLVED FROM THE START.... I feel this met with little support...

oh and on the size issue, Simon, does this matter?...i didn't think S/M/L/X/XX would matter?...

so bottom line, please can as many as possible commit at the $300 per shirt price, asap.

but thanks to all, and i'll pick up the other points (one run EVER....) when i get more time...

:s
  • sruzgarsruzgar Welcome to ScotlandPosts: 1,468MI6 Agent
    The shirtmaker will charge us the smae to make it to your measurements as they would to do a standard size so I know which I would rather have.
  • EagleEagle UKPosts: 261MI6 Agent
    edited February 2008
    ke02eww wrote:
    ...so bottom line, please can as many as possible commit at the $300 per shirt price, asap.
    I should be 'committed' at that price point but yes, I'm still in. A classic cut Medium (38" chest) will do me fine - no need for tailoring.
  • JB1962JB1962 USAPosts: 194MI6 Agent
    I'm definately still in!:)
  • TheMantisTheMantis Posts: 12MI6 Agent
    Of course I am in...thanks again for the amazing work done on this.
  • TALLMANTALLMAN Cornwall, United KingdomPosts: 69MI6 Agent
    I am still in too but only for one.
    I'm definitely in.
    "Resurrection."
  • themanbunthemanbun Posts: 1MI6 Agent
    im in!