The Madagascar Shirt - the deal

Comments

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    ke02eww wrote:
    I for one won't spend more than $200 on something that can be copied, ebayed, and abused.
    Also, as explained, we have to protect the integrity of the shirtmaker and fabric maker.
    Finally this is only worth doing if it's done properly.

Therefore I feel DG is right and the only way to prevent suspicions is for myself and Asp9mm to buy the material and have the shirts made in a limited number.
    Once the shirts have been made we'll make it known to everyone on the original commitment list and fair prices can be judged.

That seems perfectly reasonable to me. Please keep me apprised, as I'll find $200 (more or less) for a '2XL' edition of that fine shirt, one way or another :v
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited November 2007
    I interprete this topic to tell the initiators, how much we can spend on these kind of shirts. I don't want my post to be taken as a kind of bargaining.

Please count me in for one shirt on US$ 250 and a bit more.
    Did I understand correctly, that the making of the shirt alone will be US$ 180,--, no matter about the quantity of the shirts being made? If so, any US$ 200,-- commitment does not make any sense as there is only US$ 20,-- left for the fabric.

I would like to thank everyone who is involved with this project, great work!!

I am not sure, if that has been answered, but I wonder, how you are calculating the m. of fabric per shirt? I am aware, that this depends a little on the shirt size though.

Kind regards
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    I understand everyone's excitement and passion around this project. I would venture a good guess that this project will come through ONLY as the result of THREE people: Paul and Jonathan for their investment in the project and Paul and Simon for their extensive research and diligence. That being said lets make sure we stay on the side of positive thoughts around this. In essence it seems we are are moving in a direction that a "store" of sorts will be established. When you 'walk' into this store you will have an option to buy or not. I have no doubt that Paul and Jonathan will recoup their costs as a limited run of these will be a hot commodity. BUT no one is getting rich from this endeavor and in fact their shirts will costs 3-4 times what yours does. I promise you. So, my personal opinion is I, as a collector, am very lucky to be associated with such gents that would be willing to sacrifice for others...
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,620Chief of Staff
    The Mantis wrote:
    In essence it seems we are are moving in a direction that a "store" of sorts will be established. When you 'walk' into this store you will have an option to buy or not.

Seems like the perfect analogy, David.
    The Mantis wrote:
    So, my personal opinion is I, as a collector, am very lucky to be associated with such gents that would be willing to sacrifice for others...

Again, spot on. Without these three gentlemen I wouldn't even have had the chance to contemplate owning this shirt, but with their tireless work, and deep pockets, it just may be possible. These guys deserve our support and understanding.
    YNWA 97
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    thx guys....gotta say, the quality of the wingmen around here makes Goose look like a turkey (apologies to Top Gun)... B-)

Ok where do we stand...well the material is being ordered 2mrw, although our contact is disappearing on vacation, so it's possible it'll sit in an intray for another 10 days...

eitherway it's unlikely we'll get anything before xmas but i'm not giving up..

Simon is beavering on the shirtmaker, and we're very hopeful there too...

however, Sir Miles has thrown a real spanner in the works and I wish he'd "buttoned" his lips...yes we had forgotten the buttons! ;%

however we're relying on the shirtmaker to come up with the authentic ones....

that said, and in advance of any pm's asking for photo-proof :s can someone with a blueray try to get "a fix" so we can compare when the shirtmaker send us "samples"....

and yes we're going to put sample pics of the material up on here as soon as we get them... 8-)

so we're keeping our end of the bargain...

now we need to go away and think about pricing and stuff...

then we'll need definite orders (with sizes/measurements :D )

then we'll need money.... X-(

does anyone have anything else they want to know?... :#
  • sruzgarsruzgar Welcome to ScotlandPosts: 1,468MI6 Agent
    edited May 2010
    Who needs BlueRay when we have this:

I will find out about the buttons ASAP, although I would never have thought to ask! I hope I have teh correct buttons on my PTS suit :#
  • texas007texas007 Houston, Texas 77041Posts: 2,350MI6 Agent
    Hope I am not too late, but I will be in also @ $200 if possible. Thanks!
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    sruzgar wrote:
    Who needs BlueRay when we have this: http://www.eh30.com/JamesBond3_high.jpg

I will find out about the buttons ASAP, although I would never have thought to ask! I hope I have teh correct buttons on my PTS suit :#

That is, by far, the BEST look I've had at that shirt, sruzgar B-) Under zoom, I can see the threads---and a button on the sleeve I hadn't known existed! Thanks very much {[]
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    edited November 2007
    Well, I'm glad you all have decided to go through with it and front the money for the Madaascar Shirt Endeavor. As I said, I want a shirt badly too. I've been in that situation on my own and I know what it's like to want a costly item that makes more sense to sell in order to offset your own costs. Couple that with the uncertainty of selling the target number of items at a particular price in order to offset said costs and it can be precarious situation to say the least.

I hope all individuals concerned who said they would buy shirts from these gentlemen follow through with their purchases. Lets support these fine fellows to the best of our ability so that the next individuals who step up to the plate in an effort to sate our "mania" know they can count on us.

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
    I dont have a picture of them but I am assured teh shirts will have the correct buttons for those that were concerned.
  • copamancopaman Posts: 106MI6 Agent
    i am in for 200 but i do want to see pictures please?
    Im affraid that you will have to wait until one of us has our shirts made until we can show you pictures which will be early January I imagine.

They are going to look EXACTLY like the ones in the movie thhough there is NO doubt about that.
  • ddbl007ddbl007 USPosts: 46MI6 Agent
    Oh man I seem to be late on this one!

The max I could go on this one would be $400. If I can get one at that price then you can count me in all the way!...

... Just don't tell the missus.

Dave.
  • Stephanie BroadchestStephanie Broadchest Posts: 49MI6 Agent
    hmmmm...how do you think this fabric would look if made into a dress? (though I don't think I'd get enough from the 6 inch squares)

Good luck with this boys, can't wait to see you all in your Madagascar chase scene clothes!

Rachel
    ddbl007 your certainly not to late, we will add your name to the list.
  • ddbl007ddbl007 USPosts: 46MI6 Agent
    sruzgar wrote:
    ddbl007 your certainly not to late, we will add your name to the list.

Sweet! Good work everyone involved. Im[ressive stuff, keep it up.

Dave.
  • DEVONKNIGHTDEVONKNIGHT CanadaPosts: 100MI6 Agent
    I know I said I was out at $400 for a shirt, but I can't remember if I said I would go in for one around $200? Anyways, count me in for one at $200. The longer this goes on, the more apt I am to perhaps weaken and go for more than one, but at this moment, one for sure.
  • matthewarmitagematthewarmitage Posts: 37MI6 Agent
    Now listen in agents... It appears the price which seems ok with most is around US$200, this seems really reasonable and would be a guaranteed small 1st edition type offer... Why not do the relevant sums for this target and then lets all work to get the sales. It would really show how this site and its members can pull together when the bullets fly.. Then we could look seriously at a convention next year to tie in with the anniversary of the creator.. and conquer the world..
    Sounds like Blofeld has got in on this signal...

I would go for two shirts at this price as my oppo would want one as well

Cheers Agents
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,331MI6 Agent
    If we get it down to 200, I'm in, I'm in!

You could sell these as a pre-order on Ebay, as a way to fill out the necessary head count...
    quick update:

from the Qantas lounge in Hong Kong airport, en route to Melbourne

I'm going to be "down under" for a week, and updates may be few and far between, but rest assured this is progressing;

while the material contact is on vaca now (not with me I hasten to add...) she recognises we've made an official order, so it can't cool as I'd previously feared.

please continue to express firm interest on this thread, and we'll be keeping "score"...

we'll consider the ebay pre-order route, it may work....

oh and of course we'll need measurements etc soon, so get those tape measures started up...

oh Rachel, as you're in for a dress, please PM me all your measurements B-)
  • Shatterhand67Shatterhand67 Safe HousePosts: 424MI6 Agent
    I'm in at a deuce.
    "I musht be dreaming."
  • firefighter84firefighter84 Posts: 43MI6 Agent
    Jst wanted to make sure I'm on the list for 200.
  • matthewarmitagematthewarmitage Posts: 37MI6 Agent
    Goood luck on your mission old boy... Looks like $200 would be an ideal figure as my oppo wants in as well at this rate.. Can we sort this out ?
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    for 200 id be back in for sure:)
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    I have been silently following this thread, thinking it's more than a bit "nuts" to spend $400 for a tropical shirt.

The longer this plays out, the more confused I get, and d**n if that shirt isn't starting to look pretty cool, and maybe I am beginning to think that one should be in my closet too!!!

But what I am not sure of is the cost, seems like prices of $400, $300 and $200, have been tossed out, and right now $200 is the front runner, but that price seems based more on hope and not reality.

So where is the current price point on this shirt, $400,$200 ... or is it really still up in the air?

Those of you who are carrying the ball on this deserve alot of credit and lots of thanks!!!!
    The price is still TBD at this point! There will be a limited number of these shirts available and all at the same price for those that want them.

We will keep you posted!
    agreed....sry been slow to respond but on the road down under..this from Melbourne airport lounge..

currently we have an order in for the material....we'll have to wait for this to be printed...

then comes the making of the shirts...

we'll try to get the cost down as close as possible, but we'll be clearer when we come to oder actual shirts...my guess is that this'll be in about 2-3 weeks...

hope this helps..

Paul
  • AMDB9AMDB9 Posts: 7MI6 Agent
    Guys,

Please accept my apology but I have to bow out of the deal. I am currently on my way to Iraq for 7 months- Wish I had an occasion to wear this shirt. Take care Guys good luck.

AMDB9
    AMDB9 wrote:
    Guys,

Please accept my apology but I have to bow out of the deal. I am currently on my way to Iraq for 7 months- Wish I had an occasion to wear this shirt. Take care Guys good luck.

AMDB9

understand....

and good luck....

we'll keep one for your safe return...
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Emailing from the UK right now...seems Paul and I are on the move, eh? Just wanted to let everyone know that the excitement continues for this shirt....seems some Bond fans not on this site have heard the rumour of this in the works and want in...