The Madagascar Shirt - the deal

Comments

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,331MI6 Agent
    Couldn't justify anything over 200. I sympathize with the guys who are going head on after this thing, price be damned - I've been there. I'm just not there over this one. Best of luck to you.
  • Head of SectionHead of Section Northern NJPosts: 204MI6 Agent
    Once again, gents, if you're looking to get a lot of customers, maybe this isn't the only place you should be advertising. Bond Lifestyle seems perfectly suited to advertise this sort of thing...

I put a post on the message board of my humble site, beingjamesbond.com. If anyone would like to post there to generate some more interest, feel free.

http://www.beingjamesbond.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=1228
    "Resurrection."
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters
    Sorry gents; I was in for sure at $75, and could go to $150...but I'm afraid food and shelter have to come first :# I appreciate your efforts, though, and wish you all the best in your endeavour.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • TALLMANTALLMAN Cornwall, United KingdomPosts: 69MI6 Agent
    I am still up for this
  • DEVONKNIGHTDEVONKNIGHT CanadaPosts: 100MI6 Agent
    I don't suppose that the agreed price on the material could perhaps be re-negotiated? Tough decision, but if an answer is needed now, and at a cost of $400-$450 US, I would have to reluctantly say "no"! Sorry!
  • sruzgarsruzgar Welcome to ScotlandPosts: 1,468MI6 Agent
    The deal with the materialis unfortunetley non negatiable at this point, they originally wanted to do 1000m and we got them down to 500m at a very reasonable price. There is no way they can print anything less.
  • KittlemeierKittlemeier U.S.Posts: 432MI6 Agent
    Where is all the extra material going if only twenty or thirty people are getting shirts? I'd be willing to do one at the normal cost but I'd like to have one I could wear without worrying. If I could have the option of more fabric without the tailoring I could have others made for myself at a reduced cost.
  • The FrogmanThe Frogman shark reefPosts: 8MI6 Agent
    what a fantastic christmas present to myself! i'm still very interested. Look sharp gentlemen; you've got to pay to play.
  • copamancopaman Posts: 106MI6 Agent
    Can i please have pictures of the fabric?
  • ke02ewwke02eww USPosts: 2,063MI6 Agent
    Sorry been slow to reply, but have been travelling...

Firstly big thx to all who replied, especially those continuing to show commitment to the cause.. {[]

Sorry if I confused anyone re: the likley cost, but it's as simple as;

1) we have a fixed amount of money we need to cover the material (approx $8400)
    2) then the cost of making the shirts on top (probably $180 per shirt, but this could fall if we get a bigger order...NB we're using the actual makers of the CR shirt..)

Two of us are offering to significantly fund this initial material cost so as to get the average down for everyone else...

the remaining cost of material will fall as we get more individuals to buy a shirt...

on a run of 30 shirts the cost of material would be about $220 per shirt, plus the $190 to make it, or about $410.

on 40 shirts, material would cost $160 and manufacture $190; $350 total

Clearly each person can buy as many shirts as they like...I will buy 3, and so will Asp9mm. Srutzgar and mantis are in for one each, giving us a 8 head start....we need 32 more...

As Srutzgar said above, we don't want immitations appearing on ebay such that our shirt maker gets upset. Only way to ensure this is to constrain the amout of loose material around. We're considering allowing each completed shirt buyer to have a shirts-worth of raw material too....but only enough for one.

Also, 6 inch swatches can be purchased for a token amount (say $30) for display.

Finally, while there is no absolute deadline, I stressed ASAP because we're entering the holiday season, and we'd like to get this project moving in front of xmas.
    But we also worry that our "warm" contact at the material company could go cold if we don't show sufficient interest soon....strike while it's hot! :p

Hope this all helps clarify.

So please reply to this thread with your intent, ASAP.

Remember, if you can't/won't go as far as $400 but would be in at $200, please indicate this....it's all about the final number of committeds, not our indicated price!...

Paul
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    edited November 2007
    Well, I think it's also important to say how many you'd buy at $200.00. So for me, although I'd only buy one at $450.00, I'd probably buy two or three at the $200.00 price.

Apart from that, some of the people interested in the shirts may be concerned that they are funding the purchase of the shirts and material without knowing what it's costing the two of you. That's why you're getting questions about the surplus material. I think I understand why you might not want to say, however if it is a group buy than we should all know who is putting what on the table.

If you were going to fund the purchase by yourself and sell finished shirts to us, then it's none of our business what the total cost is. For instance, when I commissioned my Connery and Brosnan busts I did not ask anyone else to fund them. As a result, it's nobody's business what I paid for the sculpture and molds. But if I said I needed X dollars from at least 20 people, to get the busts completed then the question becomes how much are you putting into it yourself and who's going to own the mold in the end.

DG
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • Head of SectionHead of Section Northern NJPosts: 204MI6 Agent
    At between $400 and $500, I am a 'solid maybe'. At $200 I am an 'almost definitely' for at least one. In a perfect world, I'll be able to pick up two of them, one for wearing, one for saving.
    "Resurrection."
  • firefighter84firefighter84 Posts: 43MI6 Agent
    I would definetly be in at $200
  • TylerTyler Posts: 184MI6 Agent
    I'd be in at $200
    Never fear the event
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Here is my math:
    One shirt at $450
    Two shirts at $300
    Three shirts at $200
    please can i have pictures of the fabric
  • sruzgarsruzgar Welcome to ScotlandPosts: 1,468MI6 Agent
    We do not have teh fabric yet so we cant post pictures. There ar eplenty of pictures of this shirt on the internet though.
  • JB1962JB1962 USAPosts: 194MI6 Agent
    I'd be in for one at $200.
    if i am gonna buy i want to see that it look the same so i want pictures chould you mabye take some later?
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,620Chief of Staff
    I'd definately have one for $200, no question.
    YNWA 97

Apart from that, some of the people interested in the shirts may be concerned that they are funding the purchase of the shirts and material without knowing what it's costing the two of you. That's why you're getting questions about the surplus material. I think I understand why you might not want to say, however if it is a group buy than we should all know who is putting what on the table.

If you were going to fund the purchase by yourself and sell finished shirts to us, then it's none of our business what the total cost is. ..... But if I said I needed X dollars from at least 20 people, to get the busts completed then the question becomes how much are you putting into it yourself and who's going to own the mold in the end.

DG

Firstly thx for the commitment(s) at various prices...as we're running out of time (as I explained previously) any/all commitments are important, ESPECIALLY AT VARIOUS PRICES..

Secondly, I sense a degree of suspicion that is absolutely uncalled for.

Originally three of us (myself, Asp9mm and Mantis) were attempting to help SRutzgar secure a more economic basis for the shirt (ie a smaller min print run on a now defunct material).

I and SRutzgar worked tirelessly to achieve this, and in the end they relented, albeit to the extent of 500m at £8.50.

As this amount remains a high hurdle rate if we try to do this collectively (and with the cost of making the shirt on top) I suggested we try to subsidise the whole escapade in order to make it available to as many collectors as possible, but at the same time respect the wishes and sensitivities of the fabric maker and the shirt maker.

I suggested two of us pay $1000 for our first shirt material, bringing the remaining cost down substantially for the remaining buyers.

On the basis of the original list (about 25ish) it looked like we'd be able to get the average cost down to about $300 all in.

BTW the two "charitable" participants would still pay for their shirts to be made on top of the $1000 (expected to be $180) and any additional shirts at the average cost.

Any additional material would remain with those two, primarily to ensure the integrity of the project, and to prevent too many dreadful "knock-ups" appearing on Ebay.

We also suggested above that small swatches could be sold too, for framed displays etc. Small enough to prevent the knock-up abuse mentioned above.

I think you'll agree that the spirit of the attempt was worthy. Both myself and Asp9mm had no interest in "making money", as we both are far too busy with real jobs.

That said, while the only two individuals with the means to seriously subsidise this venture (at least when it appeared to be floundering), we'd both welcome additional charitable participants on the same scale (or higher) and I of course should have thought of you DG.

Would you like to contribute DG?

Finally, as there have been so few replies this time round, and as we're running very close to our contacts vacation, xmas, and then the economic and physical numbness that follows, we may have to dramatically rethink the approach taken prior to Monday. Some of your ideas/observations will come in handy I suspect.
  • Donald GrantDonald Grant U.S.A.Posts: 2,241Quartermasters
    edited November 2007
    ke02eww,

No suspicion here. As you know I said I'd pony up $450.00 for a shirt. However, since the buyers of the shirts would be paying the bulk of the cost for the materials, it's important to know who gets the extra material. Those of us who cover the $8000.00 plus dollars combined would in effect own more of the "rights" to the material than those who put in $1,000.00. We are like shareholders. So we combined would own something like 80% and you and Sruzgar would own something like 20%. To be fair, you guys did the leg work and should be compensated, but I don't think that means you get all the material.

Again, if you purchased the material and made the shirts on your own then you could charge whatever you like and keep the material without any questions from me. But with this arrangement, regardless of how much more you and Sruzgar put down individually, the rest of us combined would still own more of it than you do. Am I right or wrong?

Again, I applaud your efforts in order to get this accomplished. I want a shirt as bad as you do. But in the end, the shirts and material have to be divied up according to shareholder buy in.

DG

Edit: I don't sense any malice or deliberate attempts to mislead on the part of the "Key Players" in the "Madagascar Shirt Endeavor". What I do sense is a genuine interest in getting the shirts made by true Bond fanatics like myself. However I think it's necessary to clarify the deal that has been put on the table so those of us who fund the endeavor get what we are supposed to get.
    So, what sharp little eyes you've got...wait till you get to my teeth.
    image_zps6a725e59.jpg
    "People sleep peacefully in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence on their behalf." Richard Grenier after George Orwell, Washington Times 1993.
  • NightshooterNightshooter In bed with SolitairePosts: 2,917MI6 Agent
    I told Simon over PM before, but just to be clear, I'd be in for $200 as well.
  • crowe007crowe007 Posts: 49MI6 Agent
    I know it probably doesn't help too much, but I'd be in for one of the 6 inch swatches for sure
  • urhashurhash USPosts: 984MI6 Agent
    If the cost were at $150 you could count me in
  • EagleEagle UKPosts: 261MI6 Agent
    edited November 2007
    ke02eww wrote:
    Finally, as there have been so few replies this time round...

That's probably because this forum doesn't have Topic reply Notifications enabled. :(

• I'm definately in at $200 (may even buy two at that price)

• $300 I would have to think about it and would only buy one.

• $450 - not a chance, sorry!

What's all this 'tailoring' lark - just gimme a Medium, ffs... ;)

:)
  • CateranCateran Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    I'm in. I think its worth remebering how much you wanted this shirt the first time you saw it on the big screen.

I have my maths worked out at the same level as Mantis:
    450 - one shirt
    300 - two shirts

Hope i'm not too late with my reply but i'm in the process of moving house and have a sporadic internet connection.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,620Chief of Staff
    An endeavour such as this always brings complications.

There is no suspicion on my part and I can only applaud the men behind this venture and say that I trust them 100%. As I said, for $200 I would definately buy a shirt, wish that I could buy more.

As for who OWNS the fabric ? It clear, to me anyway, that $200 buys you a shirt only - any other major players (perhaps $500 and above) get a shared ratio (comparable to ammount invested) of any remaining fabric. Thats my take on it anyway.

Any of you guys sourced the buttons yet ? ;)
    YNWA 97
    ke02eww,

... it's important to know who gets the extra material. Those of us who cover the $8000.00 plus dollars combined would in effect own more of the "rights" to the material than those who put in $1,000.00. We are like shareholders. So we combined would own something like 80% and you and Sruzgar would own something like 20%.

To be fair, you guys did the leg work and should be compensated, but I don't think that means you get all the material.

Again, if you purchased the material and made the shirts on your own then you could charge whatever you like and keep the material without any questions from me.

....But in the end, the shirts and material have to be divied up according to shareholder buy in.

DG
    Sir Miles wrote:
    There is no suspicion on my part and I can only applaud the men behind this venture and say that I trust them 100%. ....
    As for who OWNS the fabric ? It clear, to me anyway, that $200 buys you a shirt only - any other major players (perhaps $500 and above) get a shared ratio (comparable to ammount invested) of any remaining fabric. Thats my take on it anyway.
    Any of you guys sourced the buttons yet ? ;)

Thx Sir Miles, appreciate the support and understanding. Typical of a gentleman.
    I'm afraid you're spot on. The rights to the remaining (significant amount of) material will only pass to those who have fronted the endeavour.
    Why?
    As i've explained in numerous replies, this has to be a limited, authentic and professional project.
    I for one won't spend more than $200 on something that can be copied, ebayed, and abused.
    Also, as explained, we have to protect the integrity of the shirtmaker and fabric maker.
    Finally this is only worth doing if it's done properly.

Therefore I feel DG is right and the only way to prevent suspicions is for myself and Asp9mm to buy the material and have the shirts made in a limited number.
    Once the shirts have been made we'll make it known to everyone on the original commitment list and fair prices can be judged.

If we continue to play this tennis match, our contact will cool, and quite possibly the whole effort will have been in vain.

I hope all understand that this remains a non-profit exercise. However, there will be a lot of material left, and that will be kept back to ensure the authenticity of the project. I in no way feel that any of those who have demanded the whole material be shared out, would embark on their own mass production, amateurish or otherwise. But this way, we can all be certain that this cannot happen.
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Id definately buy one for $200, but i already own one that looks very much like the one Craig wore with a few minor exceptions so its not a total necessity for me