'Another Way To Die' (Full Version Now Leaked)

Comments

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    The link doesn't work anymore; last night I got 1:03 of it to download, but only got to hear about 35 seconds before it froze up :#

I did get to hear the first three or four lines of vocals...not sure what to think. So far, I'd have to say I prefer YKMN (which I've always enjoyed more than pretty much anyone else here)...but I'm struck by a couple of things: 1) The Guardian reviewer called it a "Southern rock'n'soul potboiler"... ?:) To me, what I heard doesn't sound like Southern anything. It sounds...um, urban. 2) It's hard to imagine this is from the same tune as what we heard in the Coke Zero advert (which I enjoyed quite a lot). Perhaps there is a significant twist or two in the song's structure?

The opening lines seem slightly daft, at first blush, but MI6 is reporting that a line from the chorus goes: "Someone that you think you can trust is just another way to die." That works somewhat better for me than Her Majesty's trigger, and the golden voice, etc., but I guess we'll just have to wait a bit longer.

I'm not going to hate on it. All I've heard is the Coke Zero spot, and 35 seconds of this. I'm intrigued.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    1) The Guardian reviewer called it a "Southern rock'n'soul potboiler"... ?:) To me, what I heard doesn't sound like Southern anything. It sounds...um, urban.

That doesn't make any sense to me either...I have a suspicion the reviewer landed on the phrase "Southern rock'n'soul potboiler" and was dying to use it somewhere.
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    I think the southern rock'n'soul whatever comment originated with White himself?

In any case I don't think that phrase (in whatever form) means what most of us think it does, as opposed to what modern iTunes-downloadin' kiddies today think it means. Just a guess from an old-timer. ;)
  • Mike_007Mike_007 Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    It's very different, when i heard jack white was going to be doing the song with alicia keys i didn't think that was the best idea though. Oh well, vocally it might surprise me, am sure it will be decent.
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,707MI6 Agent
    The full version (or rather someone's rather clever editing of it) has appeared now: it's good stuff- I like it.
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    I had a listen too, em - loved it, very rockin'. Reminds me of the TB and LALD theme tunes mashed together (in a good way, heh).
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    edited September 2008
    And yes, the full version seems to have leaked:

Link removed. - Si

I'm really warming to the song now - the opening is great! I played the song to my brother, and his first comment was "this is good, its more Bondian than 'You Know My Name'".

Although - how come we can hear a screeching car in the final section? Sounds like a direct rip from the coke ad ?:)
    edited September 2008
    Although - how come we can hear a screeching car in the final section? Sounds like a direct rip from the coke ad ?:)

Yes, the guy on MI6 who posted it took most of it from the podcast of that radio station that played the clip the other day and had to stitch on the bit from the Coke ad to finish it; it does fit very well so I presume he's got it right.
    emtiem wrote:

Yes, the guy took most of it from the podcast of that radio station that played the clip the other day and had to stitch on the bit from the Coke ad to finish it; it does fit very well so I presume he's got it right.

Ah right. Where was this originally 'leaked'? Is it a Bond fan from another forum? I'm interested to read the circumstances :p
    Just a clever fella on MI6 who had the thought to listen to that podcast, I think!

Not sure Sony will be terribly happy with that radio station...
    Interesting! So I assume thats not EXACTLY how the song ends...

in that case, we're YET to hear the full song :))

Although I strongly believe the official version will be a far more polished affair in terms of audio mixing.
    Interesting! So I assume thats not EXACTLY how the song ends...

in that case, we're YET to hear the full song :))

Well it's a best guess, and it all fits together well, so I'd guess that's it's probably right. But yes, we haven't heard the actual, fully 100% official full version, no :)

Although I strongly believe the official version will be a far more polished affair in terms of audio mixing.

Maybe, I dunno; it's not sounding very rough to me.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Hey, Expectant One, what the heck is that "Megashares" site? I couldn't find anything related to a song on it--looks like some sort of financial chat page or something like that. . . ?:)
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    edited September 2008
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Hey, Expectant One, what the heck is that "Megashares" site? I couldn't find anything related to a song on it--looks like some sort of financial chat page or something like that. . . ?:)

Hmm, I've also uploaded the file myself - try this link:

Um you should know the site's stance on illegal music links. - Si
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    edited September 2008
    Hardyboy wrote:

Thanks for sharing ieu2d! Is that the full version? I thought Jack White (I think that's his name) was also supposed to sing?
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    edited September 2008
    Mr Martini wrote:
    Hardyboy wrote:

Thanks for sharing ieu2d! Is that the full version? I thought Jack White (I think that's his name) was also supposed to sing?

Most of it is White singing - he tends to sing quite high. The first line of the song "I know the player..." is White, followed by Keys, then the two sing the chorus together.
  • DAWUSSDAWUSS My homepagePosts: 517MI6 Agent
    This would fit a Brosnan flick better IMO
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited September 2008
    Oh dear lord.

Thanks for the link ieu2d, the end result isn't your fault.

It's ****. There's a few Bond songs I don't care for, but this I don't want to hear, ever again.
    unitedkingdom.png
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    I find that Bond themes come together more when your watching the titles, until then I can't say if I'll like it or not. The mood seems to be set when those title graphics role and the music starts rocking. Right now it sounds like an utter mess, can't wait to hear it in context.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
  • Pud2002Pud2002 Posts: 65MI6 Agent
    Sounds as bad as Die Another Day to me :'(
  • 72897289 Beau DesertPosts: 1,691MI6 Agent
    Reminds me of "The Man with the Golden Gun", but whatever it is - it's better than Madonna or the aptly named "Garbage"....

Have to agree with ASP9mm, one needs to see the film to know if this is going to work. In any event, I have hopes that David Arnold's score will be able to pick up any slack an indifferent Main Title will leave.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters

No joy for me, IEU2D. An error message comes up: "The server redirected the player to an invalid location."
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,330Chief of Staff
    The link doesn't work for me, either.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Please someone tell me this is an elaborate hoax to throw us off the scent of the real song. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Pud2002Pud2002 Posts: 65MI6 Agent
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Please someone tell me this is an elaborate hoax to throw us off the scent of the real song. . .

i really hope it is!!
  • Shatterhand67Shatterhand67 Safe HousePosts: 424MI6 Agent
    I honestly can say that I don't really care for it. However, I took to the last one right away. We'll see...maybe I'll like it more in the theater.
    "I musht be dreaming."
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    edited September 2008
    :'(

Amy, is it too late?
  • Shatterhand67Shatterhand67 Safe HousePosts: 424MI6 Agent
    The Mantis wrote:
    :'(

Amy, is it too late?

I agree...rehab reshmab. I'd take a coked up, heroin blasted, pot smokin' Amy over this rubbish any day...but as the Zen Master once said, "We'll see."
    "I musht be dreaming."
  • James BoldmanJames Boldman Amherst, MAPosts: 461MI6 Agent
    Thanks for the link for the MP3. I love the song! It has the energy of the DC Bond, and it has a tragic feel (losing Vesper) to it as well. I think it's going to mirror QOS ups and downs, echoing Bond'{[]s moods.
  • ycpchiefycpchief USA (PA)Posts: 95MI6 Agent
    Well....... it's different for sure. Some of it I like, some of it I don't at all. I'll wait and see if it grows on me. Am I crazy or did anyone else notice that the guitar riff is nearly the same as YKMN? Similar for sure but maybe a bit more distorted "out of tune", perhaps reflecting Bond's state of mind?