'Another Way To Die' (Full Version Now Leaked)

Comments

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    edited September 2008
    Definitely a 'grower'...I played the song to Loeff Jr for the first time; he seemed indifferent at first. His only comment, about halfway through, was "It's different." By the end of the song, he was nodding his head along to it, and he enjoyed it more the second time through.

It seems clear that Eon was looking to go avant-garde, or outside the box, this time---otherwise, why approach Jack White? Criticisms about a lack of melody are well-founded, and the lyrics/vocals are...shall we say, unique...but what can I say? It's a rulebreaker---flagrantly so---ergo, IMO it makes a certain amount of sense at the moment... B-)

My goodwill for the piece is growing incrementally, but I'll admit that I'd love to hear Amy Winehouse (or someone like her) belt out a retro-style torch song one of these times...but first she probably ought to say 'yes, yes, yes' to rehab :p
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    I think if Whinehouse to do a song it would sound just like a TWINE.

Im not exactly sure what to make of it, it is certainly different. Maybe it will work better once we see the credits that will go with it
    edited September 2008
    MI6 is sharing decidedly mixed reviews from The Independent...

http://www.mi6.co.uk/news/index.php?itemid=6745&t=mi6&s=news

...and the L.A. Times...

http://www.mi6.co.uk/news/index.php?itemid=6744&t=mi6&s=news

Clearly, the intelligentsia is not with Eon on this one ;) Oh well; it's worked for them before...
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,707MI6 Agent
    It seems clear that Eon was looking to go avant-garde, or outside the box, this time---otherwise, why approach Jack White? Criticisms about a lack of melody are well-founded, and the lyrics/vocals are...shall we say, unique...but what can I say? It's a rulebreaker---flagrantly so---ergo, IMO it makes a certain amount of sense at the moment... B-)

There are people on another forum saying that Jack White was a safe choice and the edgy thing to do would have been to do a retro, trad Bond song, which baffles me a bit. Goes to show you really can't please all of the people...
  • Andy A 007Andy A 007 Posts: 199MI6 Agent
    At first listen I'm not totally sold on it but I think it'll grow on me. I really dig Jack Whites vocals. The chorus is a little weak but overall I think its a pretty cool Bond theme. Already like it better than any of the Brosnan themes. Still think YKMN is better though.
  • SeanConnery007SeanConnery007 The Bond Archive - London, EngPosts: 169MI6 Agent
    I absolutely hate 'Another Way To Die'.
    It's a mess of R&B and some sort of 'trash-rock'. The lyrics are mostly inaudible, and those you can decipher are awful. The composition of the piece is dreadful, bits of this and that thrown in thoughtlessly all over the place.
    It makes Madonna's 'Die Another Day' sound like a masterpiece and I just hope the film itself is 100 times better than this or there is something seriously wrong with the direction of the franchise.
    Nobody Writes Threads Better.
  • Cdr_James_BondCdr_James_Bond Somewhere in the warm south ofPosts: 37MI6 Agent
    It's a mess of R&B and some sort of 'trash-rock'. The lyrics are mostly inaudible, and those you can decipher are awful. The composition of the piece is dreadful, bits of this and that thrown in thoughtlessly all over the place.
    It makes Madonna's 'Die Another Day' sound like a masterpiece and I just hope the film itself is 100 times better than this or there is something seriously wrong with the direction of the franchise.

Totally agree. The entire song's messy, the vocals are stirred and the sound's dreadful. Maybe it's because of the streaming quality. As one of our mates stated before, could have been better leaving the song lyrics-less, just like the coke zero ad. Besides I don't know how it'll sync with the opening credits, I see the song tempo-less. At least YKMN suited gorgeously.
    I don't know where the franchise goes, but musically speaking I think they've lost that lovin' feeling.
    I think Ms. Winehouse could have done a freaking amazing piece. Let's see when the song she recorded with Ronson sees the light. I'd have liked to have Duran Duran doing the song indeed, but Mike and Babs seem to be out of control.
    Please, let Mr. Arnold manage the musical part of the franchise as long as he's in command, or I'm afraid this will be the first of many dreadful songs to come.
  • YouknowthenameYouknowthename Carver Media GroupPosts: 500MI6 Agent
    It's o.k. ....for the first minute and a half. After that, no game.
  • Moores Left EyebrowMoores Left Eyebrow Posts: 27MI6 Agent
    Worst. Bond. Theme. Ever.

The End.
  • SeanConnery007SeanConnery007 The Bond Archive - London, EngPosts: 169MI6 Agent
    Apparently its available to digitally download, but I don't appear to be able to get it anywhere.
    I also haven't heard a version with the lyrics; suit em up, bang bang. Has anyone heard the version with these lyrics at the end?
    Nobody Writes Threads Better.
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    edited September 2008
    I also haven't heard a version with the lyrics; suit em up, bang bang. Has anyone heard the version with these lyrics at the end?
    No*. And I hope never to.

*mind you, I've only made it to the end twice. The version played on Clyde 1 this morning might have, but I chose Radio 2 instead.
    unitedkingdom.png
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    edited September 2008
    It's ok by present Bond music standards...but when compared to the classics of the Barry era, well it's lacking to say the least. It may play better over the title sequence however. While "You Know My Name" wasn't the greatest song, it worked well incorporated into the music of the soundtrack. Apparently, this is not going to be the case in QOS, as the title song was not written with David Arnold. I think David Arnold is capable of doing some good things (the score of CR was his best Bond work IMO) however IMO every Bond score not written by John Barry is just inferior. Barry set the bar so high and truly defined what a Bond score should be. It's too bad EON can't get him back for one last hurrah. John Barry's Bond scores were so good that they made the lesser films seem better than they were. Truth be told I'd be happier with someone who could purposely do a decent faux Barry score (which I think Arnold actually did with more success in CR).
  • hacketthackett Odds change the numbers remainPosts: 197MI6 Agent
    Right now I'm thinking DREADFUL.

and the lyrics are...

Another ringer with the slick trigger finger for Her Majesty
    Another one with the golden tongue poisoning your fantasy
    Another bill from a killer turned a thrill into a tragedy

Chorus
    A door left open
    A woman walking by
    A drop in the water
    A look in the eye
    A phone on the table
    A man on your side
    Someone that you think that you can trust is just
    Another way to die

Another tricky little gun giving solace to the one that'll never see the sunshine
    Another inch of your life sacrificed for your brother in the nick of time
    Another dirty money, heaven sent honey turning on a dime

[Chorus]

Another girl with her finger on the world singing do you whatcha wanna hear?
    Another gun thrown down and surrendered took away your fear
    Hey! Another man that stands right behind you looking in the mirror

[Chorus]

Suit 'em up, bang bang!
  • scottmu65scottmu65 Carlisle, Cumbria, UKPosts: 402MI6 Agent
    I first heard Another Way To Die on Jo Wiley yesterday, then again on here shortly afterwards and at first I hated it, but it is definitley a grower, I've listened to it loads since first hearing it and now I love it, Although I am hoping the version used in the film will be a little more orchestral and cleaned up a bit around the edges.

Anyone notice at around 3:08 the snippet of OHMSS?
    http://www.classicbondforums.tk - Please support our community.
  • taitytaity Posts: 702MI6 Agent
    It already grown on me, as strange as it may sound.

Its funny, but alot of critics seem to be bad mouthing YKMN, which is funny - I thought it was a great theme
  • cpoulos62cpoulos62 Station UPosts: 451MI6 Agent
    I heard it, not too bad but think a little more hard core would be appropriate with the Rogue agent angle.
  • maddyhindmaddyhind UKPosts: 106MI6 Agent

I agree 100%
  • urhashurhash USPosts: 983MI6 Agent
    UGH! thumbsdown_smiley.gifthumbsdown_smiley.gif
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    The good news: I woke up this morning with "Another Way to Die" going through my head. The bad news: I've awakened many a morning with some awful, annoying TV commercial jingle going through my head. Take it for what it's worth.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,277MI6 Agent
    There's a better version on some website called third man or something, according to aintitcool.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    edited September 2008
    There's a better version on some website called third man or something, according to aintitcool.

That website ( http://www.thirdmanrecords.com/) officially states that the song will be "available digitally worldwide 19th September" - ie. today. Any idea where to download this? Searching 'Another Way To Die' on iTunes brings up the artists Alicia Keys and Jack White, but not the song itself ?:)
    edited September 2008
    I'll be most curious to see how/whether it differs from the cobbled-together version...when somebody finds out where it can be found, let us know!

EDIT: The Third Man website says that AWTD is available digitally on 9/19...except North America :#

Looks like us Yanks have to wait until 9/23...
    edited September 2008
    Okay...the song is available to at least listen to on the Third Man site linked above---of course, my computer is slow enough that I was able to pop out and catch a "Lawrence of Arabia - Ben-Hur" double feature while it loaded :s ...

IMRO, the production value of the finished product makes a considerable difference, although whomever assembled the earlier 'leaked' version was spot-on, structure-wise. The layering here is incredible; there are extra subtle vocals at the end: "Bang bang bang bang."

"Suit 'em up, bang bang" is right. This is aggressive---in your face---and it doesn't care what naysayers think. Come to think of it, the drubbing it's taken from the critics, early on, might have just tipped the scales in its favour, as far as I'm concerned. I know what I like, and I rarely agree with the so-called 'professionals' (CR was a rarity in that respect ;) )...

I'm listening to it for the fourth time, in rapid succession, as I type this.

I think I love it B-)
  • Christmas TounesChristmas Tounes GloucestershirePosts: 164MI6 Agent
    Great tune but...
    awful rapping somewhat ruins it
    1. Goldeneye 2. OHMSS 3. Goldfinger 4. TND 5. Octopussy 6. FYEO
    7. LALD 8. TWINE 9. Skyfall 10. AVTAK 11. CR 12. TLD 13. YOLT
    14. TMWTGG 15. Moonraker 16. TSWLM 17. Thunderball 18. FRWL
    19. Dr. No 20. DAF 21. LTK 22. DAD 23. QoS 24. Spectre 25. NTTD
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    I don't think the lyrics (as reported by Moonie) are exactly We Have All The Time In The World, and I'm going to develop a seriously sore throat when I'm singing along to this in my Mini.

Sorry to digress..but you have a Mini jetset? So do I! What color is yours?
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    For brits, there is only one Mini colour: BRG :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • Maherj1Maherj1 Posts: 21MI6 Agent
    You know I heard this yesterday and just hated everything about it but the more I listen to it the more I feel there is a good song in there somewhere but its just being masked by a lot of bad things.

The rapping and the duet are cringeworthy. I dont think Black should sing at all. If this was left to Alicia Keys to sing on her own I feel it would be a lot better. No rapping just singing.

The lyrics are awful for me. Brash, obvious and poorly conceived. I know its unlikely but if they were to rework the lyrics they could get them a lot better.

They need to tidy it up, get rid of all the weird banging, crashing noises. We know Craigs bond is dark and tough (Grrrrr8-))...we dont need the song to sound like a bloody construction site to tell us that.

I think the main riff is pretty good but its too grungey...tone the distortion down a bit. Aside from that the actual music itself is good.

I do think it will be tighter come the opening credits of QOS and it should sound better quality wise. Cant say Im not disappointed by it though.
  • i expect u2 diei expect u2 die LondonPosts: 583MI6 Agent
    The track is now online on the UK iTunes store - with a different cover art 8-)
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,333Chief of Staff
    Have now listened to the track. Without going into musical terminology here's MHO:

Music- good.
    Lyrics- bad.
    Vocals- awful.
    Arrangement- appropriate.
  • MailfistMailfist Posts: 240MI6 Agent
    I didn't think it was possible for them to come up with a Bond song as bad as DAD but they have managed it. You know a Bond song is in trouble when it makes TND sound good.