'Another Way To Die' (Full Version Now Leaked)

Comments

• MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    edited September 2008
    I guess I'm used to being in the minority, but I like it! :o I really hated the corny YKMN, so this is a vast improvement for me.

Loeff, did you ever get it to work? Once I saved the file, and then opened it, it worked fine!
  • John DrakeJohn Drake On assignmentPosts: 2,564MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    I find that Bond themes come together more when your watching the titles, until then I can't say if I'll like it or not. The mood seems to be set when those title graphics role and the music starts rocking. Right now it sounds like an utter mess, can't wait to hear it in context.

I feel the same. I didn't like 'Die Another Day' till I saw the titles and then it seemed to fit perfectly with the film. Maybe this will be the same. But the lyrics are mad.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Monique wrote:
    Loeff, did you ever get it to work? Once I saved the file, and then opened it, it worked fine!

No...no such luck. I sent you a PM ;)

Without hearing the full song yet, I can't really voice an opinion...but I admit to being kind of a 'soft touch' where Bond themes are concerned. I tend to like them all---even the ones commonly reviled, like DAD and TMWTGG ;%
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Agent WadeAgent Wade Ann ArborPosts: 321MI6 Agent
    It's far from my favorite, but I can see it working for the movie pretty well. It has hints of You Know My Name intensity which I like about the sound. I was so worried that it would sound like other stuff that Alicia Keys has done, and it doesn't. I can put that fearing demon to rest. I can't wait for November 8th!
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Just finished hearing it all the way through for the second time...

[A quick pause here to thank the one and only Monique, who rocks my AJB world :x ]

...and I have to say...I think I like it :o :D

Mind you, I like YKMN better (so far), but there's an interesting vibe at work here, IMRO. It's got tons of attitude---kind of like the Craig Era :v ---and it seems to work. As I said just above, I'm a pushover when it comes to Bond themes.

After the PTS I'm anticipating, and over the right titles, it could be very effective. The obvious nods to the 'core' Bond theme are a key to its current appeal for me; I'm still not over the moon about the vocal stylism, but I can see where it might grow on me.

Gonna listen to it again...and again :v

...and again :007)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited September 2008
    I must admit, that YKMN grew up for me, but what I hear now is terrible.

The intro sounds pretty good, even it is something, that we have heard similar on LALD.

And as much I agree with Asp9mm (which is what I hate), that the title songs are improving for me when I see the movie; I swear, that I will never get used to the vocals. It's more something, that I'd like to hear, when I am driving in the backseat of a limo thru Brooklyn ;)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • bondaholic007bondaholic007 LondonPosts: 878MI6 Agent
    I dont like the opening, The best parts to be honest is where she doent sing. I liked the sample better, That sounded like a terrible remix.

But I guess it will grow on me.
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    edited September 2008
    Someone on another site posted, YKMN is for the adults who think they know what rock is, AWTD is for the kids who know what rock is (words to that effect). Not trying to flame anybody, I'm more old fart than young pup these days, but I can see the sensibility shift, it's a very "young" and oh-so topical take on a Bond tune IMO. Reminds me of LALD when it first came out, sure wasn't like anything Barry ever wrote, all those internal changes (and was that some sort of honky-tonk bit in the middle??? WTF???).

AWTD might just be the first Bond tune in a helluva long time to get some decent radio play (er, iTunes downloading :) ). Doesn't suck from a marketing POV.
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Monique wrote:
    I guess I'm used to being in the minority, but I like it! :o I really hated the corny YKMN, so this is a vast improvement for me.

Ditto.Hated YKMN, really like this, which quite honestly,surprises me. Wasn't keen on the Jack White/Alicia Keyes thing (and think Pink might have done a better job vocally for this typoe of song) but it works for me.

Monique wrote:

That was the only way I could get it to work too.
  • delon64delon64 RiyadhPosts: 176MI6 Agent
    awful...a sweaty t shirt song for a sweaty t shirt bond...bond going the rnb route is like your dad dancing at a wedding...what on earth were they thinking?
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 5,707MI6 Agent
    Mind you, I like YKMN better (so far), but there's an interesting vibe at work here, IMRO. It's got tons of attitude---kind of like the Craig Era :v ---and it seems to work.

Yeah, I think you're right- the attitude's there (even if a strong melody isn't), and that's what music's supposed to have- especially rock music. YKMN was sort of doing the details of rock but not actually achieving much in the way of feel.
    delon64 wrote:
    awful...a sweaty t shirt song for a sweaty t shirt bond...bond going the rnb route is like your dad dancing at a wedding...what on earth were they thinking?

Good thing they haven't gone the r'n'b route then! This is more bluesy than r'n'b: that title song for the Everything or Nothing was an r'n'b song and wasn't Bond-y in the least.
    Incidentally Loeff; it's had it's radio play so a decent version will be everywhere soon. You should even be able to stream it from the BBC Radio 1 website when Jo Whiley's show today becomes available for re-listening: she played it at about 55mins into her show.
  • Pud2002Pud2002 Posts: 65MI6 Agent
    Pud2002 wrote:
    Sounds as bad as Die Another Day to me :'(

I take that back, NOTHING is as bad as that song. However AWTD is actually growing on me and like a few of you have said might suit more when we see it with the movie.
  • Agent WadeAgent Wade Ann ArborPosts: 321MI6 Agent
    delon64 wrote:

My dad started doing this psychotic pinwheel dance at my wedding when Led Zeppelins' "Black Dog" was played. Are you talking THAT kind of awful? Because topping that will be some chore.
  • delon64delon64 RiyadhPosts: 176MI6 Agent
    blues?...blues to me is muddy waters.bb king,robert johnson etc not that load of wailing nonsense
  • Pud2002Pud2002 Posts: 65MI6 Agent
    Did David Arnold write this or was it actually them pair?
  • Moonraker 5Moonraker 5 Ayrshire, ScotlandPosts: 1,821MI6 Agent
    Pud2002 wrote:
    Did David Arnold write this or was it actually them pair?
    Jack White...
    unitedkingdom.png
  • Lazenby880Lazenby880 LondonPosts: 525MI6 Agent
    I'm actually a bit of a fan: I like how brassy and 'in-your-face' it is. I prefer You Know My Name but I think this would go very well with some good titles.
  • jetsetwillyjetsetwilly Liverpool, UKPosts: 1,048MI6 Agent
    I've been pinned to my desk at work, watching the drama unfold. For the record, I loved Die Another Day right from the off; I hated You Know My Name, but it's really grown on me over the past year. I don't think that Bond films should be frozen in aspic, and continue being torch songs belted out by divas. I would have loved Amy Winehouse to sing it but , that's because I love Amy Winehouse.

So I've listened to it twice (mentally filtering out the whitterings of Jo Whiley) and... I don't hate it. I'm on the side of "great" rather than horrific. I think it's a weird song; the stop-start aspect is odd, and slightly unnerving, as are the wailing vocals. I don't know why they bothered with Alicia Keys, because her voice and Jack White's seem pretty interchangable to me. I don't think the lyrics (as reported by Moonie) are exactly We Have All The Time In The World, and I'm going to develop a seriously sore throat when I'm singing along to this in my Mini.

But the intro is what I want from a Bond theme, and it seriously grows and grows, and explodes; it's not insipid, which is my number one bugbear about Bond themes - it screams at you and demands to be noticed. I can't wait to see it with a wonderful title sequence (can we haz sum nkd grls plz? Kthnxbai) and I really want to have it on my iPod.

Also, I just nipped into the kitchen, and found myself singing, "Dur-dur-dur-DUR dur-dur-dur-DUR", so it's stuck in my head at least. Cautious {[] from me, then...
    Founder of the Wint & Kidd Appreciation Society.

@merseytart
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    edited September 2008
    (can we haz sum nkd grls plz? Kthnxbai)

:)) :)) :)) :)) :))

( my wife asked, what's the matter)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    But the intro is what I want from a Bond theme, and it seriously grows and grows, and explodes; it's not insipid, which is my number one bugbear about Bond themes - it screams at you and demands to be noticed.

That was always one of the problems I had with YKMN to be honest- I liked it a lot but it never really went anywhere. This is a bit more of an unfriendly tune, but it does build nicely.
  • bluemanblueman PDXPosts: 1,667MI6 Agent
    Yup. And still absolutely loving the rock-out chorus, been since forever to have that kinda feel to a Bond song (LALD, maybe?).
  • A7ceA7ce Birmingham, EnglandPosts: 655MI6 Agent
    heard it work on radio, absolutely hated it - mad 'you know my name' look like Mozart
  • hstansburyhstansbury Posts: 9MI6 Agent
    This version sounds like a rough studio cut. I'm guessing the final version will be mixed much better. Plus the intro will set the tone, and the graphics will make it feel different.

I think it's a unproduced version taken out of context.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    I listened to it again and I'm still not feeling the love. Like others I don't hate it and I'll acknowledge that it's kind of catchy, but the song just strikes me is discordant: lurch forward, stop, lurch again, sudden turn, zip forward, stop, lurch. . . Cripes, it's like teaching a kid how to drive! And what's with all the sound effects? I hope it is a rough cut, but I highly doubt it.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • slingerslinger USAPosts: 79MI6 Agent
    edited September 2008
    I heard it on BBC.
    The song has a great riff, very Bond and current. I’m humming the riff. Sadly there is no melody. Nothing. White & Keys just repeat 2 notes for a few measures. What a waste of Keys. Her voice could be flying with a good melody.
    Too bad David Arnold wasn’t involved.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    The full version is better than the snippet, but it's still not great. Infact, I'm really not impressed.

And why is the opening riff identical to YKMN? Not very original at all.

And I also agree with slinger. This song has no melody.

I award this song a solid 3/10 :007)
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • ycpchiefycpchief USA (PA)Posts: 95MI6 Agent
    I've listened to it several times and I'm liking it less and less. Can anyone figure out what these lyrics mean? They are absolutley awful. What a mess.
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    I remember a post here with a link to a myspace artist who wrote a song called quantum of solace. Some people thought the person was secretly trying to promote themselves, which might well be true, but having said that their song was better than this song.

If famous artists keep getting the oppurtunity to make bond songs then they should at least put some effort in.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • Shatterhand67Shatterhand67 Safe HousePosts: 424MI6 Agent
    Well, I've listened to it quite a few times and I guess it's like whiskey...an acquired taste. It's starting to grow on me.
    "I musht be dreaming."