New ajb007 - Overview

Comments

• 84208420 Posts: 721MI6 Agent
    This is a problem every so often While I am reading posts I scroll up to click on the homepage but everything freezes and it only seems to happen on this site. :s
  • SiCoSiCo EnglandPosts: 1,371M
    darenhat wrote:
    Si
    Where (and when) can we expect to see the old 'sidebar' items return, such as the articles, fan fiction, and general James Bond information?

I had hoped for tonight but I got behind. It is coming urgently. I am now aiming for tomorrow. The sooner the better as everyday it's offline is bad for us in terms of search engines.
    Simon
    I am not sure if this has been asked but Will the list of films in our profiles be coming back?
    8420 wrote:
    I am not sure if this has been asked but Will the list of films in our profiles be coming back?

Yes it will. It's coming better than ever, it won't be instant though I'm afraid.
    Simon
    Ah ok its fine you worked to hard already anyway. :)
  • MoniqueMonique USAPosts: 696MI6 Agent
    I'm sorry, but I really hate it. I thought the old site had a lot more personality. I loved the alternating colors, and now the grey bars where our names are seem so generic. Having been here for almost 7 years, I realize change is hard, and will take getting used to, but this is just really a bummer to me.
  • Mr MartiniMr Martini That nice house in the sky.Posts: 2,699MI6 Agent
    A quick question. On the old site I noticed all the replied topics had a file with a paper sticking out (or something like that). even after I left the old forum for about 15 minutes and came back, replied topics since my last visit would still have the paper file thing. Now I notice if I leave the site for even a minute all replied topics become old topics. Will there be a grace period of new or replied topics for those who might leave the site for some reason (i.e. power outage, modem or browser crashing, hit the wrong button etc....)?

Did that make sense?
    Some people would complain even if you hang them with a new rope
    Monique wrote:
    I'm sorry, but I really hate it. I thought the old site had a lot more personality. I loved the alternating colors, and now the grey bars where our names are seem so generic. Having been here for almost 7 years, I realize change is hard, and will take getting used to, but this is just really a bummer to me.

I'm sorry you feel that way, a bit of change is needed now and then, however please realise that I am not finished. It is a rushed upgrade in order to fix a lot of technical errors. I am clearing the backlog of problems and then I will get back to work on fixing the look and feel. I realise it's a huge change so suddenly, just hang in there I'm going as fast as I can! - It's not going to look the same but there's a lot still to do!
    Simon
    Mr Martini wrote:
    A quick question. On the old site I noticed all the replied topics had a file with a paper sticking out (or something like that). even after I left the old forum for about 15 minutes and came back, replied topics since my last visit would still have the paper file thing. Now I notice if I leave the site for even a minute all replied topics become old topics. Will there be a grace period of new or replied topics for those who might leave the site for some reason (i.e. power outage, modem or browser crashing, hit the wrong button etc....)?

Did that make sense?

Perfect sense, it's annoying me too! I am looking into it.
    Simon
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,279MI6 Agent
    Monique wrote:

Poor old Monique, first Daniel Craig and then this! :))

In fairness to SiCo, I like that you can hit on a button to itallicise rather than laboriously key code it, and smileys are more accessible too. Don't like that you have to log in then hit reply, rather than reply and then log in as you do it. A little pad on the Compose and post your new reply reminding how to do pictures and websites would help too btw.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Dan SameDan Same Victoria, AustraliaPosts: 6,054MI6 Agent
    SiCo wrote:
    No but they certainly will be, to be honest I didn't think anyone used them!
    :)) I might be the only one.

BTW, what does it mean, when posting, ... has an empty attribute section?
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    Okay, minor snag. Am I the only one who, after typing this, hits post reply rather than 'Submit'? and the writing disappears, so you have to go back one?

Why have Post Reply indeed when you have Quick reply instead? ?:) Hits Submit key.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Okay, minor snag. Am I the only one who, after typing this, hits post reply rather than 'Submit'? and the writing disappears, so you have to go back one?

Why have Post Reply indeed when you have Quick reply instead? ?:) Hits Submit key.

Interesting I hadn't consider this. Basically the reply box has more immediate features (or at least that's the idea). It has options for subscriptions and smilies (I've never understood why you would tick this though!). There will be other options for polls and the like too. Therefore the option to reply also needs to be there whether you have a quick reply box or not.

I am not sure what to do to make the submit button more prominent when using the quick reply feature though.
    Simon
    Make it a nice red colour! :x

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • bondaholic007bondaholic007 LondonPosts: 878MI6 Agent
    edited May 2009
    I used the notepad quite often :v
    I will welcome it with open arms.

Will all of the notes be stored in there still?
  • TonyDPTonyDP Inside the MonolithPosts: 4,281MI6 Agent
    edited May 2009
    Monique wrote:

Monique, a videogame board that I go to frequently recently got the upgrade treatment and the results were so bad that I have not been back since: ads all over the place, windows of inconsistent sizes, endless colors and font variations, and the thread window is now overshadowed by the ads. It literally looks like a Las Vegas billboard.

By comparison what SiCo has done here so far is very understated and nicely functional. The articles and posts are all easy to read and still take up the vast majority of the available space (as they should). The neutral colors are very easy on the eyes and the whole site loads very fast.

Give it a chance to grow on you; I always enjoy your posts and I'd hate to see you move out.
    I used the notepad quite often :v
    I will welcome it with open arms.

Will all of the notes be stored in there still?

Yes, I forgot about the notes, PM if if anyone wants them back now I will send them over as a PM or email.
    Simon
  • sharpshootersharpshooter Posts: 164MI6 Agent
    I'm glad the favorite film profile feature will return. Better than ever hopefully. To me, that was one of the best aspects of this forum.
    Golrush007 wrote:
    Cool, good to have AJB back. Thanks Si for your hard work!! :007)

I look forward to seeing all the features such as articles etc. back.

The articles are now back and available here James Bond Articles (http://jamesbond.ajb007.co.uk/) they have moved and are in a temporary state but are back! I will get them displaying properly and on the site as soon as possible. All old links to them should forward to the new location.
    Simon
    Si, is it possible to bring back the date and time onto the site?
    "He’s a man way out there in the blue, riding on a smile and a shoeshine. And when they start not smiling back—that’s an earthquake. and then you get yourself a couple of spots on your hat, and you’re finished. Nobody dast blame this man. A salesman is got to dream, boy. It comes with the territory." Death of a Salesman
    I'm getting used to this, however:

Ditch some of the grey, including grey squares, change to yellow or pastel or something

Lengthy dates eg 2nd October, just 2 Oct is good, and we don't need the time to the very second surely. It's TMI.

I don't like having to log in everytime I reply then go back to reply (I know you can set it up so you log in for good, maybe I'll do that, dunno).

Ditch some of the underlines!

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • darenhatdarenhat The Old PuebloPosts: 2,029Quartermasters
    I just notice the post count on the right side. I don't know why exactly but I like it. It may help in referencing earlier posts.
    edited May 2009
    Lengthy dates eg 2nd October, just 2 Oct is good, and we don't need the time to the very second surely. It's TMI.
    Not to the second, but a time would be good. For example, if it read 14:00 of 2nd Oct, that would be really helpful.
    darenhat wrote:
    I just notice the post count on the right side. I don't know why exactly but I like it. It may help in referencing earlier posts.
    I agree. It is helpful; all you have to say is so and so said ... on the 8th post or something. It's quite useful. :D
    Why not put the Mods and the admin(s) in different colors from the members? it will make them stand out more. Just a suggestion. (Just re posted it here) ;)
    darenhat wrote:

On other forums I post on, the post count can be used kind of like a quote feature. If I clicked the 3rd post in this thread, it will come in a pop-up box, I then can take the link from the pop-up and put the link in another thread. Kind of a cool feature. Not sure if you can do that here.
    edited May 2009
    I have one more question to. I just noticed the spoiler function.
    Test Test Test Test
    While it works, the white backround stays white when your trying to read the spoiler. White letter with white backround makes it harder to read. BTW, yes I highlight the box to read the spoiler, it's still hard to read though.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Mr Martini wrote:
    BTW, yes I highlight the box to read the spoiler, it's still hard to read though.

Maybe it's your computer, or you have a hard time seeing blue? My vision is horrible, but I can see the highlighted spoilers very clearly.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,258MI6 Agent
    edited May 2009
    Am I being dumb - quite possibly! - where's the fan fiction gone?
    lost in the ether p'haps?
    i dont have any issues with the revamp, quite good i thought
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Mr Martini wrote:
    BTW, yes I highlight the box to read the spoiler, it's still hard to read though.

Maybe it's your computer, or you have a hard time seeing blue? My vision is horrible, but I can see the highlighted spoilers very clearly.

Could be my comp, not sure. The highlighted blue is a very light blue (lighter than the blue on the time of post or the quote and report icons for each post), the text under the blue remains white and the backround remains white to. That combination makes it difficult to read. I'll play around with the resolution on my screen to see if it helps.
    Mr Martini wrote:
    I have one more question to. I just noticed the spoiler function.
    Test Test Test Test
    While it works, the white backround stays white when your trying to read the spoiler. White letter with white backround makes it harder to read. BTW, yes I highlight the box to read the spoiler, it's still hard to read though.

It's not meant to be white for a start it's something I've overlooked in the styling department! - I am going to make it the same colours as it was.

I have changed it now how's that?
    Simon