PPK,P99 or new Handgun for Bond23?

Comments

• thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    They're just too thick in the frame for concealed carry, in secret agent terms. Bond isn't a bodyguard, where weapon, spare mags, comms, batton, knife etc are all carried on the belt under a cheap to mid price suit. Close protection officers are always identifiable to others in the trade by their "midrift". Bond needs something discreet and Walther hasn't made that since the PPK!
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
  • 007007 ClassifiedPosts: 372MI6 Agent
    Doesn't the UK government use Glocks in reality?
    Things I hate:
    1. People who hate things.
    2. Irony.
    3. Lists.
    edited June 2010
    Depends what you mean by government. MI5 doesn't have the power of arrest, so call on Special Branch and regular police, who use a variety of different weapons, usually according to what contracts that particular constabulary has negotiated. Glocks are heavily used, that is true. I drove MI5 officers around Northern Ireland, and they were equipped with everything from Brownings to Walther PPK's to Sigs. Whilst driving I carried a 9mm Browning. Technically, I'm sure the MI5 lot weren't even meant to be armed, but I didn't ask questions. Guys from the SAS were always close by as well. They seem to carry what the hell they want. I'm sure if a guy wanted a .45 peacemaker from the wild west, he'd have it! Six years ago, and out of the army, I contracted in Iraq and came across MI6 officers with SAS bodyguards. We got chatting and two of the MI6 guys carried Beretta 9mm pistols, the third had a Heckler & Koch. So again, it looks like there's no standard issue weapon.
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,840MI6 Agent
    They're just too thick in the frame for concealed carry, in secret agent terms. Bond isn't a bodyguard, where weapon, spare mags, comms, batton, knife etc are all carried on the belt under a cheap to mid price suit. Close protection officers are always identifiable to others in the trade by their "midrift". Bond needs something discreet and Walther hasn't made that since the PPK!

Isn't the PPS disctreet? ?:)
    Number24 wrote:

Isn't the PPS disctreet? ?:)

I haven't worked in close protection for four years now and am not really "into" guns now. I have never seen a PPS until I just Googled it after your post. It looks really useful, a bit like a baby glock. Thanks for the heads up. I was only comparing the PPK to the P99 - a weapon I have used on the range a few times now, and still think is an unsuitable weapon for Bond and his tasks. Most modern autos are simply too thick for concealed carry, especially as nearly everything comes with double-stack magazines. The .45 Colt 1911 for example is a hefty old thing, but great for concealed carry because its frame and grip is so slim. The PPK is still the ideal choice for someone like Bond of the old films and books, but as Bond finds himself in more full-on gun battles, I'll admit the old PPK looks obsolete.

• StrykeStryke U.S.A.Posts: 41MI6 Agent
    I vote for both. One for concealment, the other for business.
    Stryke wrote:
    I vote for both. One for concealment, the other for business.

Absolutely. Like a builder with tools, you don't use a spanner when you need a hammer.

Love the end scene and the gun he's got at the end of CR.
    Is it an H&K MP5?
    Things I hate:
    2. Irony.
    3. Lists.
    007 wrote:
    Is it an H&K MP5?

No it's a Heckler & Kock UMP chambered for .40 S&W.

007 wrote:
    Is it an H&K MP5?

No it's a Heckler & Kock UMP chambered for .40 S&W.

Hang on - just thinking... wouldn't that have taken Mr White's leg off?!
    Especially seeing as Bond strolls up to him for the pay off line - not at all out of breath meaning he was very close when he shot?
    Things I hate:
    2. Irony.
    3. Lists.
    It does have a lot more stopping power than a 9mm - and the longer barrel takes the velocity way above pistols of the same calibre. I think Mr. White's initial response is spot on, it would knock his leg right out and he wouldn't do anything other than crawl. But I never thought he'd get away in Sienna like he did.

• LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,993Quartermasters
    Yeah...here's hoping the elusive Mr. White gets what's coming to him at some point B-)

That final scene in CR is a high-point in the Modern Bond Era for me :007)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,231MI6 Agent
    Not to nitpick but the model of the UMP sub machine gun Bond uses at the end of CR is the 9mm model. The curved magazine helps identify it as the 9mm model, the .40 S&W and .45ACP models have straight magazines.

To answer scud racer's question, Yes in the present day the 9x19mm round is more common than the 7.65mm ammo the PPK uses. However most film goers know that the Walther PPK as Bond's hand gun, so I doubt they care about how under powered the PPK is when compared to more modern pistols.

If I were up to me I would give Bond a PPS as a concealed carry weapon, and use the P99 for bigger gun fights.
    The UMP now has curved, straight, cut-out, clear perspex magazines in all calibres. The UMP .40 s&w I recently used on the Union County, NJ. SWAT range was very much a curved magazine. It is also being tested out there in 10mm.

• Mister GreeneMister Greene Posts: 224MI6 Agent
    Its too bad that Walther wont continue with the P5 series that was a great gun, nice and compact but chambered in 9mm instead of .32 which is marginable at best, Roger Moore used it in OP and Sean Connery used it in NSNA they even made a compact version which was just a shade smaller. the P99 is ok but it is just too big for the suits Bond wears. so maybe the PPS is next in line, Walther could make a nice tie in with a good advertising bit and really jump some sales on this-{
    The PPK debate will roll on and on. But the PPK was the tool most suited to Bond's tasks. It is small, concealable, light and works well when adapted to a silencer because of the fixed barrel set up. Many floating barrels need to be slide-cocked each time the weapon is fired. And 9mm is loud when used with a silencer. I've used British Army 9mm HP35 Brownings with silencers on the range, and they ain't that quiet. The PPK is an entirely different matter, and still cycles the slide with sub-sonic low velocity rounds. Not many modern weapons do that.

• Mr_IceMr_Ice USPosts: 137MI6 Agent
    I've often wondered how a lock breech pistol would work with a silencer hanging off the end of the barrel.
    Seems like it wouldn't lock up right, and getting fully into battery would be hit or miss.
    Or at least it would cause lots of wear on the lugs since the muzzel would want to point down while cycling.
    Never shot one though.
    Some don't work at all, ie they work for the first round, then either jam or fail to cycle. Some work well, but need manual cocking and cycling by working the slide. The British army Brownings I used worked well with the small, lightweight moderator, but were not very quiet, or had to be manually cycled with the heavier moderator, and were much quieter, but the foresight on these were completely blocked from view by the moderator so only good for thirty feet or so. I believe the Colt 1911 .45 works well with some set-ups, but wears heavily. The big .45 bullet lends itself to a silencer extremely well because of its relatively low speed.

Never seen the PPS before - that looks quite cool, but I still prefer the idea of Bond with the PPK.
    Things I hate:
    2. Irony.
    3. Lists.
  • ClarkeyClarkey FrancePosts: 32MI6 Agent
    May I suggest a discrete Taurus Millenium Pro ? 40 S&W, length :156 mm, 10 rounds. Frames of all "M Pro" pistols are made from impact-resistant polymer, like the P99.
    taurus_mill_pro.jpg
    Taurus tend to copy other makes, but do a superb job for less money. I've used a few Taurus handguns, and never found any faults. You have taken into account size, practicality and stopping power. IMO a good choice. Stick around Clarkey. -{

• PPK 7.65mmPPK 7.65mm Saratoga Springs NY USAPosts: 1,231MI6 Agent
    If Bond is going to change handguns, then he will probably get either the Walther P99 compact or the PPS. Like Aston Martin, Walther firearms has been liked to the film series for years. Even the advertisements for the PPS in gun magazines, and on Walther's website scream the name James Bond. As I stated before I would not mind seeing Bond with a PPS in the next film.
  • ClarkeyClarkey FrancePosts: 32MI6 Agent
    edited July 2010
    They used some BMW,Seiko watches, blond actor under 6', Halle Berry...:D They could use another brand for the gun than Walther...
    I like traditional but moving with the times too - so another DBS, a PPS, etc. would be great in Bond 23... if it happens in the next 2 years... otherwise perhaps DC won't be back!
    Things I hate:
    2. Irony.
    3. Lists.
  • BLU8BLU8 Ontario, CanadaPosts: 418MI6 Agent
    If they were to change Bond's sidearm again, I think the Walther PPS would be a good choice. It would continue the classic Bond-Walther partnership, but it's much more compact gun than the P99, which makes it much better suited for concealed carry.

That said, if I had to choose between the P99 or the PPK, I think Craig looks more intimidating wielding the P99, although I understand that it's not the easiest weapon to conceal on your person.
  • Mr_IceMr_Ice USPosts: 137MI6 Agent
    Man I like that Taurus. Simple looking, nice and elegant. Comes in 9mm, .40 and .45acp.
    The grip is somewhat Smith and Wesson-ish.
    Double action only though I think. Not sure about that bit: depends on how the trigger is.
    VERY inexpensive, and I wonder about that. Almost too inexpensive for Bond.
    I think Bond should have a metal gun, but I'm probably just too old school.
    How about the P99AS Compact Pistol - 9mm?

PYaCS.jpg
    Things I hate:
    2. Irony.
    3. Lists.
  • stjimmy456stjimmy456 Manchester, EnglandPosts: 75MI6 Agent
    3229170827_4b2e748af7.jpg

This is a good looking Walther - smaller than the P99 and lighter.

It's been in production since 2008 too so, a nice little upgrade perhaps ?
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,745MI6 Agent
    I am no firearms expert by any stretch. My knowledge is pretty much based upon what I have read or been told by friends in law enforcement and the military. IMO if you want to stay with the Walther brand based upon tradition, any of the compacts (PPS, P99 Compact or PK380) would certainly work. I don't know how the PK 380 compares power wise with the other two (PPS and P99 Compact) which come in both 9mm or 40 cal so it would be great if one of our resident firearms experts could chime in with the pro's and con's of each. The pistol that has actually caught my eye, from both an cosmetic and practical applications is the Sig Sauer P 220 Compact SAS Gen 2. IMO it's a nicer looking pistol than the Walthers, compact (along with being smoothed out for snag free drawing from under clothing) and it's available in 9mm or 40 cal. Seems like the perfect personal protection weapon for an agent.
    stjimmy456 wrote:
    3229170827_4b2e748af7.jpg

This is a good looking Walther - smaller than the P99 and lighter.

It's been in production since 2008 too so, a nice little upgrade perhaps ?

I just don't see the point of this weapon. An upgraded P22. Heavy, low power, low magazine capacity. There are far smaller, lighter, higher capacity and more powerful designs out there. It hardly outshines a PPK with fifty years' worth of added technical improvement.