Advice & Research

Comments

• CJ007GoldeneyeCJ007Goldeneye LondonPosts: 587MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:
    anyone used metal filler powders in cold cast resins?

any success or horror stories from using such a material?

cheers folks,

MG

Yer i mixed iron fillings with resin when i did my dalek textured look. Looks quite metal-lee and even rusts a bit!
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:

cheers folks,

MG

Yer i mixed iron fillings with resin when i did my dalek textured look. Looks quite metal-lee and even rusts a bit!

nice one, any idea on ratio of resin to powder?
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • modelmaker007modelmaker007 GermanyPosts: 114MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:
    minigeff wrote:

cheers folks,

MG

nice one, any idea on ratio of resin to powder?

I used to work with all kinds of cold cast resins when I was making Prototype Car parts for Volkswagen and Audi etc and we used to mix them with all kinds of filler materials, Aluminium Powder, Alu chips in different sizes and Plastic chips. other bases were also used.
    The Ratio used is not relevant in most cases, as long as each part of the mix is covered in resin then it will set.
    we used to use a ratio of 1 part Resin ( finished mix) to 1 part Alu. ie 100g resin to 100g powder, the higher the ratio the more likely the mix will become brittle.
    This was the mix to fill moulds for prototyping purposes.
    To make moulds themselves we would mix the resin and add plastic chips until they were just covered in resin, (a bit like chocolate rice crispies!) this was used as a filler. and would still be rock hard solid.
    The most important thing is to make sure it is thoroughly mixed, if there are any powder parts not completely mixed into the resin it will be pretty useless.

Mixing powders/chips into resin was basically used to save money as the resin base was expensive and filling with other materials would keep costs down and still do the job.
    Hope this helps
    cheers modelmaker007, really helpful advice.

it seems that although the metal powder can give a good effect, the side effects of brittleness can mean that structural parts could be a bit risky to cast in a powder/resin mix.

i understand that busts and other ornamental objects are usually roto-cast (tumble cast) and then 'topped up' on the inside with regular resin for strength.

i guess casting the marge in this powder/resin mix would be a bit risky too, and its another example of the only way really to do it, is do it properly and machine it from scratch.

anyways, cheers for the help guys, really appreciate the input. -{
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • modelmaker007modelmaker007 GermanyPosts: 114MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:
    cheers modelmaker007, really helpful advice.

it seems that although the metal powder can give a good effect, the side effects of brittleness can mean that structural parts could be a bit risky to cast in a powder/resin mix.

i understand that busts and other ornamental objects are usually roto-cast (tumble cast) and then 'topped up' on the inside with regular resin for strength.

i guess casting the marge in this powder/resin mix would be a bit risky too, and its another example of the only way really to do it, is do it properly and machine it from scratch.

anyways, cheers for the help guys, really appreciate the input. -{

No Probs.... Yes, Casting is always a risk, the other big problem with a Metal mix is Air Bubbles, the thicker the mix (and it will be thick if adding metal powder of any sort) the harder it is to cast something Bubble-free.
    We had a Vacuum machine that would pull 99% of air out of a mix, but good hand casting is Hard and needs practice and a few tricks. I.ve just done a Bond related Cast myself ( in thin Cement ) and managed to get it Bubble Free :):):):)
    The thinner a Mix is, the easier it is to cast without Air.
    Anyway... If anyone needs help with casting/Moulding anything , feel free to ask
  • hegottheboothegottheboot USAPosts: 327MI6 Agent
    Does anyone know anything about the THX first release DVDs? (Dr. No/FRWL/Goldfinger/TSWLM/MR/GE)
    I'd like to know if they're anamorphic and if TSWLM has original audio. Had considered tracking down the TSWLM THX Laserdisc then found out about these.
    bit of an odd one, but can anyone recommend a decent digital photo frame that'll play mp4 or mpeg format video clips?

cheers guys,

MG
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Anyone know what these bond gadgets are!
    Da1HA.jpg

T8FS9.jpg

T8Imi.jpg
  • Gadget MeisterGadget Meister Bicester, OxonPosts: 1,972MI6 Agent
    Photo 1: Explosive mines from the start of GE "Set the timers for 6 minutes" and the gas cartridge holder for the effects model of the GE Piton Gun

Photo 2: Piton gun from DAF, don't know what the black object is.

Photo 3: Gas cartridges for the above and the top of the GE Piton gun.

Maybe Ed could come in here for more info
  • thespyboys11thespyboys11 Lindenwold,NJPosts: 1,845MI6 Agent
    Photo 2: Piton gun from DAF, don't know what the black object is.
    Maybe Ed could come in here for more info

Correct on all....These series of photos were taken during the photoshoot of Desmond, sitting and surrounded by the various gadgets, for the cover of his book.

The "Black object" is nothing more than a very cool looking Laser pointer that Desmond carried around with him inside the attache' case. It's NOT from any of the Bond films.

Ed
    TheSpyboys.com
    any idea on what make and model Q's laptop is in the TWINE pts?

i know it was a foam copy, but what was it taken from?

MG
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Gotta say IBM sticking to the trend, but im pretty sure its a Fujitsu laptop!
  • 007storm007storm The NetherlandsPosts: 345MI6 Agent
    I'm planning on making my own TB rebreather. In my research i've found some odd things. Example: some replica's have a black and white end en some don't. In my opinion in TB it didn't have this black and white end. The black and white in the middle is sometimes shifted: White left and white right or white left en black right? Can somebody clearify please??
    Thanks,
    Johan
    My James Bond Collection:
    Antens007Archive
  • jimmybondijimmybondi ShrublandsPosts: 328MI6 Agent
    Johan, what are you using for the mouth piece?
    gez.
    Jimmybondi

007fyeoturboespritbronz.jpg
  • 007storm007storm The NetherlandsPosts: 345MI6 Agent
    jimmybondi wrote:
    Johan, what are you using for the mouth piece?
    I'm still in searching for something suitable.... Mabye i'll make it of wood....
    I've already some CO2 sparklets from a CO2 gun suitable for air containers.

My question about the colors at the ending is solved: they are grey!
    My James Bond Collection:
    Antens007Archive
  • MANDY1MANDY1 TISPosts: 2,608MI6 Agent
    edited August 2010
    Hi folks!

I'm searching the OHMSS dagger, could someone tell me the manufacturer if possible?
    I've seen one in Ed's collection and i'm not quite sure was it a custom made one on the screen.

I would like to give it a try and throw one, like Lazenby did in Draco's office :D
    -{

the blade itself looks like i could be from a vintage fighting/combat knife, but then
    again with a wooden grip...hmm :s looks a little german made ?:)

Maybe a cup of tea will do the thing -{
    Knowing who to trust is Everything in this business.

TIS - "The moment you think you got it figured - you're wrong"

Formerly known as Teppo
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    :D The only little German I know is bondtoys :v , maybe he can help :))
  • MANDY1MANDY1 TISPosts: 2,608MI6 Agent
    edited August 2010
    Now, that was a good one :D,
    don't know the chap, but cheers for the advice Pete -{

Found only "toothpicks" from eBay...

So my guess was right, it's Solingen, made in Germany.
    Knowing who to trust is Everything in this business.

TIS - "The moment you think you got it figured - you're wrong"

Formerly known as Teppo
    Well I hope you do better than the professional knife thrower they brought in for the scene, after several hours of failure to hit the mark the sfx guys did it in one take with a wire. :))
    that wire trick work with bullets too?

gotta find a way of reducing them groupings somehow :))
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Breathe in, exhale, hold and squeeze, worked for me with a Barrett last year at 600m :D
  • Mark HazardMark Hazard West Midlands, UKPosts: 495MI6 Agent
    Well I hope you do better than the professional knife thrower they brought in for the scene, after several hours of failure to hit the mark the sfx guys did it in one take with a wire. :))

Didn't they also film it in reverse? i.e. pull the knife away from the calendar.
    Yeah I believe that's how it was done, another John Stears masterpiece. Would have love to have seen the look on the pro throwers face ....... wonder if he got paid? :))
    could someone let me know what holster bond uses in TND, in particular the hotel room scene with paris after elliot's 'station break'.

ta,

MG
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    cheers andy, much obliged -{
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • bondpropfanbondpropfan Southern UKPosts: 288MI6 Agent
    hello all you regular prop masters, i've been following the forum for quite a while now and completely hooked with making my own or attempting to bond props, i find the info given and photos shown brilliant. Does anyone have any plans to have a meet or group show where we could exchange views see items in the flesh etc. i know the lads in the US have talked about it but obviously they're all on the otherside of the big pond.
    your thoughts.....
    without the usual jibes.....:D
    I'd be up for that, may be worth trying to link in with the next bondstars.com event, whatever and whenever that may be. Be nice to meet everybody this side of the pond although transporting/displaying/securing a lot of props for some of us given the amount that some have could be a problem. May have to be a very small portion of some collections.
    heres a quick and simple question;

whats the calibre of bullet used for zao's diamond necklace in DAD?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Bond Collectors' WeekendsBond Collectors' Weekends Gainesville, Florida USAPosts: 1,883MI6 Agent
    I'd be up for a props-meisters get together for sure.

I've done this here in Gainesville before and all across the U.S.

I've on occasion opened the show/sale/trade to the general public with publicity... in the right location, we can get some actors to visit, take photos and sign also.
    Seven (007) James Bond Tours! Mission: Mexico!