Advice & Research

Comments

• minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    aint a mini lathe the same as a big one,..

nope, its smaller, theres a clue in the name :p
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    yeah iI know it is smaller 8-)
    ya know what i'm like, its an inferiority complex, i feel threatened by things bigger than me. **** legomen are ba$tards.

anyways, its the mill i need the advice on more than the lathe. although they do the same things, the smaller stuff tends to be chinese made, which can be problematic. invariably, alot of manufacturers, such as Real Bull, Clarke and Sieg all make the same machine with a different badge on. Theres plus and minuses with all machines, but because I'm more used to bigger stuff like chester and bridgeport machines, I could do with a bit of advice concerning the build quality and construction of the small stuff.

MG
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • ttdriverttdriver Posts: 202MI6 Agent
    I've been looking for the lettered switches that appear on the DAF voice changer...to no avail. Any input on where I might go about getting these would be appreciated.
    Thanks
  • MANDY1MANDY1 TISPosts: 2,608MI6 Agent
    ttdriver wrote:
    I've been looking for the lettered switches that appear on the DAF voice changer...to no avail. Any input on where I might go about getting these would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Ya need get a vintage toy called "Magic Math", it can be easily found from eBay -{ ;)
    Knowing who to trust is Everything in this business.

TIS - "The moment you think you got it figured - you're wrong"

Formerly known as Teppo
  • ttdriverttdriver Posts: 202MI6 Agent
    Thanks Teppo!
    Looks like the available pieces have math problems(hence the name magic math-huh??)printed on them. The letters on the changer are I assume either painted on or rub-on letters. Or am I simply missing a preexisting letter switch?
  • dusktilldawn82dusktilldawn82 West Midlands, UKPosts: 197MI6 Agent
    Breathe in, exhale, hold and squeeze, worked for me with a Barrett last year at 600m :D

barrett M82?? 50cal?? what was it like?!?!

ive had a go on a .50cal S&W 8" revolver and a .50cal desert eagle. but not a rifle to date.
    Do you expect me to talk??

No Mr. Bond, I expect you to die!!
    Jamster wrote:
    minigeff wrote:

nice one, what material was you using?

Sorry for the late reply. just some brass I had. Couple of pics. The surface of the brass bar that I used for the 1/4 centre drill already had been used for a trial on something else.

detail1.jpg

detail2.jpg

Does anyone know anybody that does sheet brass (or any other metal for that matter) in this pattern for the colibri?

From what I understand its either referred to as "Hobnail" or "Clous de Paris" pattern, and eminates from the world of watch and clock making.

Im struggling to fins anyone in the UK that has such stuff in stock. Can anyone recommend any manufacturers who could make some sheet / bar with this pattern, or maybe someone off here?

$£$£$£ waiting.....

Ta muchly
    xx

So, the Omega. Quartz = good or bad? I'm looking at a mid-size (2223.80.00) but the price spread I'm seeing online is worrisome. Which am I avoiding, and which am I looking for? Thanks in advance.

I have an automatic 2531.80.00, which i have had for 7 years now.

The quartz are fine, but nothing beats a proper auto chronometer.

Just ask whether an auto has been well serviced. Repairs on any can be expensive.

I have a good horologist in birmingham if you need anything attended to.

minigeff wrote:
    MILKBONE wrote:
    So, the Omega. Quartz = good or bad? I'm looking at a mid-size (2223.80.00) but the price spread I'm seeing online is worrisome. Which am I avoiding, and which am I looking for? Thanks in advance.
    Inquired about service routine, Battery life is 2-3 years at which time watch should be sent to Omega for cleaning, replace battery and all seals. Authorized dealer handles all shipping etc., bring it to where you bought it and they send it to Omega. I was told the cost for this service is currently $75.00 and your watch will be gone for about a month.

jesus christ! i had to wait 8 weeks and pay about £300 for mine. although its the chronometer version so i guess thats why. bit of a difference all the same though.

tbh if I had the quartz i'd take it to a local reputable horologist. if its just a battery and seal change i wouldn't bother sending it back to omega.

Geff. i got robbed too. My local horologist is £85 for a full auto service and re-seal with omega seals. 1 week turn around, rather than £280 and a 12 week round trip......

Lots of cool props being considered here.

My question, can anyone send me some decent high-res profile pics of an SD golden gun.

Front, back, side top bottom, ideally assembled and in 4 component form.

Appreciate this is a lot of images for a forum post, so drop me a message and I will send my work email address.

Is there a forum on here specifically where people post pics of certain personal props / replicas? Im new to the forums and havent managed to navigate all areas yet.

Cheers

Jamster wrote:
    minigeff wrote:

Sorry for the late reply. just some brass I had. Couple of pics. The surface of the brass bar that I used for the 1/4 centre drill already had been used for a trial on something else.

detail1.jpg

detail2.jpg

Jamster, how did you get the "hobnail / diamond / pyramid / clous de paris" pattern in the brass?

Is there a specific machine or tooling? Any idea where I could get some made up? I need to cad an undersized colibri 88 in the pointy pattern!

Advice greatly welcomed.

Cheers

Jamster wrote:
    minigeff wrote:

detail1.jpg

detail2.jpg

Jamster, how did you get the "hobnail / diamond / pyramid / clous de paris" pattern in the brass?

Is there a specific machine or tooling? Any idea where I could get some made up? I need to cad an undersized colibri 88 in the pointy pattern!

Advice greatly welcomed.

Cheers

d2d, this was an idea I asked jamster to do for me as i didnt have access to a milling machine at the time.

the idea was simple really, i needed to figure a way of machining the diamond pattern found on a colibri lighter (yeah guess what i was working on for someone at the time). anyways, the idea was to use a centre drill which is commonly used in a lathe, but use it as a make-shift milling cutter. as the material being machined was only brass, i thought it stood a chance of working. jamster did it as a test piece et voila, it worked.

if you don't know what a milling machine, lathe, centre drill or milling cutter is, i suggest you use everyone's mate google.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    minigeff wrote:
    Jamster wrote:

detail1.jpg

detail2.jpg

Advice greatly welcomed.

Cheers

d2d, this was an idea I asked jamster to do for me as i didnt have access to a milling machine at the time.

the idea was simple really, i needed to figure a way of machining the diamond pattern found on a colibri lighter (yeah guess what i was working on for someone at the time). anyways, the idea was to use a centre drill which is commonly used in a lathe, but use it as a make-shift milling cutter. as the material being machined was only brass, i thought it stood a chance of working. jamster did it as a test piece et voila, it worked.

if you don't know what a milling machine, lathe, centre drill or milling cutter is, i suggest you use everyone's mate google.

Aware of such machines....

I was trying to work out if Jamster was doing the machining, or a 3rd party.

Im struggling to find anyone locally who sells the materials pre machined. I know a few people with milling and CNC stuff, bt thought that would be a more expensive route. Anyone on here fancy taking on a small commission to mill the pattern?

i would but im way way too busy with other things. if you can wait a year then yeah ok.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    minigeff wrote:
    i would but im way way too busy with other things. if you can wait a year then yeah ok.

NO, get it right Singe, wait a year to you to look at it, then 3 to make it :v
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    minigeff wrote:

a forth to bugger it up, a fifth to remake it and then a sixth to get it posted. oh and for you only, an additional 6 months to spend wiping my botty with it.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    minigeff wrote:
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    minigeff wrote:

a forth to bugger it up, a fifth to remake it and then a sixth to get it posted. oh and for you only, an additional 6 months to spend wiping my botty with it.

:D
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:

So, I'll get mine faster? :v
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Don't worry Markus, I supplied all of the tubes :v what singe misses I can Guarantee I didn't
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    :o canceling my order now!
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    oh if only you guys knew what i'd been through in the last year. lmao, if i dont start laughing about it, id start crying.

bear in mind im doing my best to get back up and running, but these things take time unfortunately. theres one project which takes priority over all others, but sometimes priorities need to change. (ie i have to work on one job for someone in order to buy tooling for the more important and pressing work).

all this juggling and messing around is sadly sometimes the only way to do it.

patience precious, patience. ;)
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Scratch and sniff :D
    minigeff wrote:
    oh if only you guys knew what i'd been through in the last year. lmao, if i dont start laughing about it, id start crying.

bear in mind im doing my best to get back up and running, but these things take time unfortunately. theres one project which takes priority over all others, but sometimes priorities need to change. (ie i have to work on one job for someone in order to buy tooling for the more important and pressing work).

all this juggling and messing around is sadly sometimes the only way to do it.

patience precious, patience. ;)

Fook off, you was never any quicker when you had the tools :D
    like a bull in a china shop you
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    minigeff wrote:
    like a bull in a china shop you

You know I LOVES ya Singe :x :))
    hmmm.....

i dunno whats mores worrying, your blaaaaarsay approach to fine precision machining, your over exageration with the measuring tape, your heavily over the top obession with buttplugs or that you have just declared that you love me.

think i need to lie down.....

no im not trying to encourage you. :p
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    minigeff wrote:

oooooohhh!! super bitch! me-ow!

minigeff wrote:
    hmmm.....

i dunno whats mores worrying, your blaaaaarsay approach to fine precision machining, your over exageration with the measuring tape, your heavily over the top obession with buttplugs or that you have just declared that you love me.

think i need to lie down.....

no im not trying to encourage you. :p

Id lie down on your back......

You never know what he will do to you i you lie face down!!

yeah its all getting a bit gay now. :o
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org