GE Fabbri 1/8 Scale AM DB5 Kit

Comments

• scurr01scurr01 AustraliaPosts: 59MI6 Agent
    Jag wrote:
    dickiebart wrote:
    I saw the subscription, but in the dispatch info it says 'SA ONLY', with the Car Collection WA were the test state, but now I think about it i'm sure the more people subscribing, the better for them so they wouldn't complain!!

Cheers for your rundown on the collection so far. It's going to be a tough decision. I need a lotto win!

You're right. Somehow I never look at the despatch section. Looks like I'm living in a lucky state! I don't get any commission from Fabbri/Bissett, so I'm not going to push the series - I just think that it is one of those cases where you need to follow whatever your heart tells you, with a serious consideration for the brain's opinion too. I have only subscribed because it is "The Most Famous Car in the World". I would not subscribe if it was any other car - Bond or not Bond.

I live in Qld and I was able to subscribe months ago. I've been receiving the issues regularly since then.

One other car/vehicle I would love to have in diecast in this scale is the Police Spinner from Blade Runner. There are enough little details on that car to make a really impressive model. As far as other Bond cars go I would definitely build the Aston Martin V8 from The Living Daylights if it came with all the gadgets from the film.
  • cdmackaycdmackay Cambridge, UKPosts: 39MI6 Agent
    Just checked my parts 24--27 which arrived a few days ago.

With part 27, I'm surprised to see that on the the instrument gauges panel, a couple of the smaller gauges seem to have been chopped by the surrounding parts pressings, such that they've got missing chunks.

Does everyone else's look like that, too?

Unless I'm missing some cleverness in how it goes together, isn't this going to look a little shonky?
  • JagJag Posts: 1,167MI6 Agent
    scurr01 wrote:
    Jag wrote:
    dickiebart wrote:
    I saw the subscription, but in the dispatch info it says 'SA ONLY', with the Car Collection WA were the test state, but now I think about it i'm sure the more people subscribing, the better for them so they wouldn't complain!!

Cheers for your rundown on the collection so far. It's going to be a tough decision. I need a lotto win!

You're right. Somehow I never look at the despatch section. Looks like I'm living in a lucky state! I don't get any commission from Fabbri/Bissett, so I'm not going to push the series - I just think that it is one of those cases where you need to follow whatever your heart tells you, with a serious consideration for the brain's opinion too. I have only subscribed because it is "The Most Famous Car in the World". I would not subscribe if it was any other car - Bond or not Bond.

I live in Qld and I was able to subscribe months ago. I've been receiving the issues regularly since then.

One other car/vehicle I would love to have in diecast in this scale is the Police Spinner from Blade Runner. There are enough little details on that car to make a really impressive model. As far as other Bond cars go I would definitely build the Aston Martin V8 from The Living Daylights if it came with all the gadgets from the film.

Interesting... if you look at despatch dates on the Bissett website, for the DB5 it clearly says "SA only", so I was under the impression that the model has not yet been released Australia-wide. Are there any other interstate subscribers on this forum?
    cdmackay wrote:

With part 27, I'm surprised to see that on the the instrument gauges panel, a couple of the smaller gauges seem to have been chopped by the surrounding parts pressings, such that they've got missing chunks.

Unless I'm missing some cleverness in how it goes together, isn't this going to look a little shonky?

Hello, please do not worry about this. I have not received the parts but have seen pics in some build diaries, and once everything is assembled together you will not be able to see the "missing chunks". Unless, of course, you have received faulty parts, in which case you will be able to request a replacement.
    thanks; yes that was kind of the point: is the part faulty, or is it supposed to be like that?
    The biggest mistake so far is the speedo - the model is calibrated to 180 km/h, whereas on the real car it was 180 mph. Have not received the part yet, but have seen in in photos. When I get it, I will certainly be asking the publisher for an explanation!
  • Classic49Classic49 Eastbourne, East SussexPosts: 4MI6 Agent
    edited July 2011
    cdmackay wrote:

Hi

Just picked up Part 27 and was disappointed to see chunks out of the oil and fuel gauges - thought it was just mine but looks as though it is "by design". However, having fitted all the dash parts together, they look ok.

Simon
  • 007storm007storm The NetherlandsPosts: 345MI6 Agent
    Does anyone know if this serie is available in germany? If yes, what is the latest number that came out??
    My James Bond Collection:
    Antens007Archive
    I had a discussion with another forum member on the JBCC thread some time ago about whether this model will appreciate in value.

Looks like someone had an idea to build just the engine, case it and put on eBay - and it sold for an incredible GBP199:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-8-Scale-Aston-Martin-DB5-ENGINE-Display-Case-UNIQUE-/260814511914?pt=UK_ToysGames_DiecastVehicles_DiecastVehicles_JN&hash=item3cb9c19f2a

Someone else is selling his without any case, and it already has a bid of GBP99:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/1-8-SCALE-ASTON-MARTIN-DB5-ENGINE-MODEL-/150631960662?pt=UK_ToysGames_ModelKits_ModelKits_JN&hash=item23125d5056

Perhaps there is a good chance that we are not going to lose money on this one after all!
  • Classic49Classic49 Eastbourne, East SussexPosts: 4MI6 Agent
    Some of the construction refers to Type O screws but these are not shown on the Identification Chart (which incidentally only appears to be published for parts 1-26). Can anyone tell me which they are?
  • Sabreman64Sabreman64 London, UKPosts: 19MI6 Agent
    Has anyone managed to obtain an intact steering wheel? My first steering wheel with the magazines arrived broken. I phoned to ask for a replacement. The replacement, needless to say, arrived broken too. I phoned them again almost three weeks ago and was told that another replacement would be sent, by special delivery and in a box. It hasn't arrived yet.
  • Gadget MeisterGadget Meister Bicester, OxonPosts: 1,972MI6 Agent
  • Leijo007Leijo007 Posts: 106MI6 Agent
    My FIRST steering wheel arrived fine.
    Been having a play

BMT216ATaxDisc-1.jpg

If you size it to 12.4375 mm w x 13.1496 mm h, it is 1/8scale and prints out really nice
    Well, three weeks since I phoned to request a second replacement steering wheel, and I've not received it. I'll have to phone them (yet again) on Monday to find out what's going on.

Still, it's good to see that Database Factory are maintaining their usual low standards of customer "service". When I was collecting Eaglemoss's Build a Model Solar System, I had plenty of trouble with Database Factory trying to get hold of missing or undelivered issues, or getting replacement parts that weren't broken.
    Sabreman64 wrote:
    Well, three weeks since I phoned to request a second replacement steering wheel, and I've not received it. I'll have to phone them (yet again) on Monday to find out what's going on.

Still, it's good to see that Database Factory are maintaining their usual low standards of customer "service". When I was collecting Eaglemoss's Build a Model Solar System, I had plenty of trouble with Database Factory trying to get hold of missing or undelivered issues, or getting replacement parts that weren't broken.

Well that's the beauty of partwork collecting, I guess...
  • crocke007crocke007 Posts: 107MI6 Agent
    Hi all, so is anyone losing interest in this "partwork" or is it just me ???

I used to check all the parts and read the magazines when they came , now i just put everything straight into a box !!
  • LOO7K OUTLOO7K OUT United KingdomPosts: 474MI6 Agent
    crocke007 wrote:
    Hi all, so is anyone losing interest in this "partwork" or is it just me ???

I used to check all the parts and read the magazines when they came , now i just put everything straight into a box !!

Well, I've always put the parts aside untouched since day one - planning on building the DB5 in one hit once the collection is complete.

I've always been a fan of good quality printed Bond material, so always enjoy the mags. Probably just a bit of halfway fatigue I'd say. The excitement will return in a while when we're nearly there :)

DC
    Not really losing interest, but it is dragging on - you wait for a month or more and then get a few bits that end up being put together within 15 minutes. I guess it will be more exciting when we start putting the whole model together. I am also disappointed by some deviations from the original, because we had been promised a "perfect representation". The speedo mistake (km/h instead if mph) cannot be excused. Fabbri promised on Facebook to look into a replacement, but since then there has been no news. I have not received my speedo yet though, so perhaps by the time it gets Down Under it will be in mph?
    belated thanks to Jag and Simon for replies on the gauges; thought I had replied before, but clearly not, thanks again
    Parts 32--35 arrived today; all looks OK.
    I think I'm going to cut my losses with this thing by cancelling my subscription and selling the parts and mags I have on ebay. What with the speedo gaffe and having still not received a replacement steering wheel, I've had enough.
    Sabreman64 wrote:
    I think I'm going to cut my losses with this thing by cancelling my subscription and selling the parts and mags I have on ebay. What with the speedo gaffe and having still not received a replacement steering wheel, I've had enough.

Have you tried emailing Ingrid Henstone <IngridH@databasefactory.co.uk>?

I've found her very helpful in the past.
    I've emailed Ingrid about the steering wheel a couple of times. The first time she replied saying it was out of stock. The second time she didn't reply. Not that it matters now anyway. I've bought a copy of issue 23 with an unbroken steering wheel for about a fiver from a seller on ebay. I'm still going to cancel my subscription though. I'll place an order with my local WHSmith instead.
  • LOO7K OUTLOO7K OUT United KingdomPosts: 474MI6 Agent
    I'm certainly sticking with my subscription. Mind you I haven't had any problems.

This will all be worthwhile in the end, can't wait to have that DB5 built.

Duncan
    The distributor officially confirmed that they will NOT be replacing the incorrect speedo. So if someone wants mph instead of the km/h, you have to do it yourself. They kindly offered to arrange a full refund, but only if I return all the parts - but I already put too much work into this to quit just like that. Now have to figure out how to fix the speedo!
    Try this Jag, I did this a few weeks ago

DB5Speedo.jpg
    edited September 2011
    Wow, thanks, Gadget Meister! :x Any advice how to print it? I mean, what size, what to print it on etc.? I'd rather not reinvent the wheel if you have already worked everything out! :)
    Just scale it down to the right size, ie the same size as the existing one and print out on photo paper on a high quality inkjet. Cut it out and glue to the dashboard over the top of the KPH one. I have also realised that the tax disc I put up was the wrong colour, so here you go

BMT216ATaxDisc-2.jpg
    Cheers, GM! -{