GE Fabbri 1/8 Scale AM DB5 Kit

Comments

• Gadget MeisterGadget Meister Bicester, OxonPosts: 1,972MI6 Agent
    Check your chassis carefully guys, mine arrived with one of the plastic silver pegs broken off, replacement on the way but the way it's packed there is huge potential for breakage :#
  • ppw3o6rppw3o6r Great BritainPosts: 2,272MI6 Agent
    edited August 2012
    86 weeks later:
    DSC01521.jpg

The final issue sounded great on paper, the addition of a tailored dust cover, problem is its made out of a pvc type material which draw string bags for sunglasses are made out of so a bit cheap looking. I was hoping for fleece or similar lined. The final magazine itself is also a bit on the cheap printed on a non-glossy stock. Thankfully the completed model looks terrific & weighs a ton and was worth the 85 week wait although if you've invested in the binders which hold 20 issues then you've got 6 issues with nowhere to put them....Brilliant!
    DSC01522.jpg

Just waiting on the £40 lump of painted MDF base now to compliment the quality cover....NICE!
  • jasper43jasper43 Posts: 4MI6 Agent
    hi ihave the car on ebay i wrote a post giving the details please ring if you are still interested as long as you are in the uk
  • Kai RoweKai Rowe Posts: 37MI6 Agent
    PPW 306R(and I hope that is coming as a partwork soon)that looks absolutely gorgeous!Very well done!Mind if I ask how long it took you?I have nt even sorted my screws out yet.
    Kai Rowe wrote:
    PPW 306R(and I hope that is coming as a partwork soon)that looks absolutely gorgeous!Very well done!Mind if I ask how long it took you?I have nt even sorted my screws out yet.

Well that's a good question. Started it Christmas 2011 although the original intention was to wait until the last issue & do it in one hit. Thank fully I didn't do this as when I started opening the packets I found parts damaged, missing etc although I must admit GE Fabbri were pretty good at getting replacement parts out sooner rather than later. On the subject of sorting screws, get it right. Best way to do this is to offer screws up to what you think they screw into first or when you get to the end you may find you don't have the correct width of screw to grip an essential part such as when you fit the painted body panels to the chassis/lower assembley. One other thing you will also have a heck of alot of screws left over at the end of the build. IMO it is worth the wait & the effort you put in :)
  • Leijo007Leijo007 Posts: 106MI6 Agent
    Sabreman64 wrote:
    Could someone tell me how this Facebook thing works please? I created a Facebook account and tried to make a post on Eaglemoss's DB5 Facebook page. No-one replied, and when I signed in to Facebook on someone else's account, I found that my post didn't appear. How do I do it so that my posts appear to other Facebook users on the DB5 page? Is there some option I have to select or something?

At the top of the Facebook timeline there is a drop-down menu. The standard setting is 'most important messages only', but if you set it to 'messages from others' (translated from my Dutch FB, so might be called slightly different in English) you should be able to see all messages other people posted on the page (so you should also be able to find yours as well). And the page IS monitored, they reply regularly (though sometimes you'll have to ask the same thing a few times before getting a reply...).
    Trekker01 wrote:
    Hi - is there a link to the 3ft version or any other info available?
    ppw3o6r wrote:
    June Update: Donk's Build Diary...
    The scuttle section is now complete and it's just ten or so issues to total completion & it's bloody heavy!

DSC01407.jpg

If you think this is impressive then you'll be pleased to know there's a 3ft version on the way but it'll probably cost what a real DB9 will set you back, still at least you dont have to wait 87? weeks to build it...Bullet holes optional!

Insider info is a dangerous thing but if you've seen the listings for the Christies/EON 50th Anniversary charity auction then your question has finally been answered however here is a link to the item in question:

http://www.christies.com/lotfinder/memorabilia/skyfall-5601808-details.aspx?from=searchresults&intObjectID=5601808&sid=8fd3d3e8-37bc-428f-960d-475191c6eb9b

Donk -{
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    A 3ft version? Who the hell has space or need for a 3ft moggle of a db5?

Much wants bloody more :))

I honestly can't see that huge models have as much an audience as other items like clothing.
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • pjfthompsonpjfthompson Posts: 59MI6 Agent
    Copy of email sent to jb db5 after no 63

please pass this on to the quality control printing & finishing dept
    I am sorry I have to complain about the quality of the finish on the magazine james bonds
    DB5 almost every copy I get has cuts, scratches, dents, tears, holes, rub marks, creases and or
    some other blemish from the finishing m/c i think, I used to work in printing,
    i have ask for another no 63 as this one was really bad but still not had this,
    as this part work is a collators item and not a read and throw away item this is just not good
    at a price of £6.99 (the model is free ? ) I would expect the quality to be better.

No reply i once worked for a company *swan packaging* that printed the large cardboard outers for other eagelmoss partworks the one you get with part 1 & 2 in the 90s and we would not let sort of work out the door
    See photo of the last magazine that the set all not good
    paul

DB5_86.jpg
  • CAMERA_MANCAMERA_MAN Posts: 99MI6 Agent
    Hi,

Has anyone tried to email database factory? They are now rejecting emails!!!
  • B549 WUUB549 WUU Posts: 145MI6 Agent
    Hi

I am having problems installing the right petrol cap and right fuel tank (parts 50a AND 50b). I am finding that after I have inserted the fuel tank the petrol cap will not sit flush with the body work. I have not applied pressure to the petrol cap as I am worried about breaking it. If anybody could give me some tips I would be very grateful.

Thanks
    I fitted the inner petrol cap assy then threaded the outer cover into place then just applied pressure, the inner the just clicked into place. I agree though, it is a little tough.
  • B549 WUUB549 WUU Posts: 145MI6 Agent
    Thanks Gadget Meister. Took a bit of effort, but like you said they click into place.
    -{
  • Mark HazardMark Hazard West Midlands, UKPosts: 495MI6 Agent
    Copy of email sent to jb db5 after no 63

this is just not good
    at a price of £6.99 (the model is free ? ) I would expect the quality to be better.

paul

Yes, I think you'll find that the model is free - as books and magazines do not carry VAT they can "give away" models etc without making the cost unpalatable.
  • StMarysStMarys Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    I completed the model a few weeks ago, and offer some comments:

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

The Good:
    The general appearance is pleasing, with well-matched, shiny bodywork. Clearly a lot of effort has gone into giving as much detail as possible. The electrical system was a pleasant surprise. Since one wire became detached, I merely glued it back and was half-expecting a failure, but everything works. As soon as you hit the on-off switch in the boot, you get an engine starting and idling noise. Pressing a dash knob lights up the dashboard, including an impressive green tracking screen. Pressing it again gives a brilliant cold, white light from the headlights, plus rear lights. Touching the brake pedal brightens the rear light, as in a real car. Hitting the accelerator elicits the appropriate sound. The horn works fine.

The Bad:
    Alas, a long list. The steering wheel recently sheared off, and I've just glued it back, with what success I've yet to see. Clearly, metal fatigue in the steering column is a big problem, so I recommend only steering GENTLY. The quarter light windows were a poor fit; one side was so bad that it wouldn't fit at all and had to be glued in. I can't get the ejector seat to work; if you can, try to test this at an early stage. Sorting it out now -if possible at all- would mean stripping the car down into little bits, which I'm not prepared to do, which brings me to another thing. A number of the screw fixings are unsatisfactory, despite religiously using the exact screw type stated. For example, a part may need two screws to be fixed, but only one screw screws up tight. The wheels are too loose, and one of them does not rotate freely. The steering mechanism - ratchet and pinion I think it's called - tends to slip. I maintain there are three mistakes in the instructions, the most blatant was covered by my earlier post. No guidance is given as to where to lead the wires from the headlights. The tail light clusters fail to stay in place; a replacement cluster was the same, so I just glued them. This means that they can't be dropped to enable tyre stingers (not supplied) to be ejected. The bulletproof screen pops up very willingly, but getting it to stay down again is another matter. The bobble at the top of the radio aerial came off, but was satisfactorily glued back. The front windscreen is not very securely fixed on one side.

The Ugly:
    Database Factory can't be bothered to answer emails, even important ones pointing out a mistake in the number of issues charged for when directly subscribing using PayPal. Issue 46 was 'out of stock' for five or six months, which meant I had to suspend the build for that time, and even then I only got it through a fluke. Another time I was told I hadn't paid for a despatch of issues when I had. Very fed up, I wrote to EagleMoss direct; things improved after that.
  • KleynenKleynen BelgiumPosts: 396MI6 Agent
    I ordered some back issues. But I never got a confirmation.
    I mailed, but no reply. I called, but no answer.
    This doesn't look good ... :#
  • MMLMML IrelandPosts: 72MI6 Agent
    Kleynen wrote:
    I ordered some back issues. But I never got a confirmation.
    I mailed, but no reply. I called, but no answer.
    This doesn't look good ... :#

Still haven't got my final batch of issues, and no reply to emails after a week. For the first time in the series run I'm getting worried.

Does anyone know when the final issues were posted out to subscribers?
  • Sabreman64Sabreman64 London, UKPosts: 19MI6 Agent
    I think the final issue was published in August. Try sending them a private message via Facebook. I sent them a private message yesterday and they replied a few hours later.

As far as back issues are concerned, I received the final binder I was waiting for a couple of days ago by first class post. So I presume they're still supplying binders and back issues. Try phoning them instead to order back issues.
    I finally got an update - from two different people no less - who told me there was a delay of some sort and they'd send them out ASAP. Fingers crossed!
  • meghan16meghan16 Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    i wonder if any one can help me please i am in the final stages of putting the model db5 together having problems putting the front onto the centre section one side is perfect ie the drivers side and yet the passenger side just will not come together its bent at the bottom and side thats what it looks like can anybody help thanks bond fanatic.
  • meghan16meghan16 Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    StMarys wrote:
    I completed the model a few weeks ago, and offer some comments:

The Good, The Bad and The Ugly.

The Good:
    The general appearance is pleasing, with well-matched, shiny bodywork. Clearly a lot of effort has gone into giving as much detail as possible. The electrical system was a pleasant surprise. Since one wire became detached, I merely glued it back and was half-expecting a failure, but everything works. As soon as you hit the on-off switch in the boot, you get an engine starting and idling noise. Pressing a dash knob lights up the dashboard, including an impressive green tracking screen. Pressing it again gives a brilliant cold, white light from the headlights, plus rear lights. Touching the brake pedal brightens the rear light, as in a real car. Hitting the accelerator elicits the appropriate sound. The horn works fine.

The Bad:
    Alas, a long list. The steering wheel recently sheared off, and I've just glued it back, with what success I've yet to see. Clearly, metal fatigue in the steering column is a big problem, so I recommend only steering GENTLY. The quarter light windows were a poor fit; one side was so bad that it wouldn't fit at all and had to be glued in. I can't get the ejector seat to work; if you can, try to test this at an early stage. Sorting it out now -if possible at all- would mean stripping the car down into little bits, which I'm not prepared to do, which brings me to another thing. A number of the screw fixings are unsatisfactory, despite religiously using the exact screw type stated. For example, a part may need two screws to be fixed, but only one screw screws up tight. The wheels are too loose, and one of them does not rotate freely. The steering mechanism - ratchet and pinion I think it's called - tends to slip. I maintain there are three mistakes in the instructions, the most blatant was covered by my earlier post. No guidance is given as to where to lead the wires from the headlights. The tail light clusters fail to stay in place; a replacement cluster was the same, so I just glued them. This means that they can't be dropped to enable tyre stingers (not supplied) to be ejected. The bulletproof screen pops up very willingly, but getting it to stay down again is another matter. The bobble at the top of the radio aerial came off, but was satisfactorily glued back. The front windscreen is not very securely fixed on one side.

The Ugly:
    Database Factory can't be bothered to answer emails, even important ones pointing out a mistake in the number of issues charged for when directly subscribing using PayPal. Issue 46 was 'out of stock' for five or six months, which meant I had to suspend the build for that time, and even then I only got it through a fluke. Another time I was told I hadn't paid for a despatch of issues when I had. Very fed up, I wrote to EagleMoss direct; things improved after that.
  • PoorMansJBPoorMansJB USAPosts: 1,198MI6 Agent
    Anyone with any spare issues (part & magazine) in the 45-54 range?

Looking only for UK editions (or possibly Aussie if the edition numbers are the same).

Thanks.
    Is anyone else here still waiting for issues to be sent out??

I still haven't been sent the last batch, the chassis and the cover. I emailed again and got the same canned response about there being a delay.
    Getting a bit concerned to be honest - I hope they're not all gone for good. I've come this far and don't want to miss the last critical part.

Besides, I thought subscribers could be sure of getting everything?
  • FACTFACT Station ZPosts: 320MI6 Agent
    MML wrote:
    I still haven't been sent the last batch, the chassis and the cover. I emailed again and got the same canned response about there being a delay.
    Getting a bit concerned to be honest - I hope they're not all gone for good. I've come this far and don't want to miss the last critical part.
    This partwork is still running here in South Africa - up to around Issue 75 now (I chose not to do this one myself but I see the issues at the newsagent when hunting for other partworks) - so they can't have run out of stock of parts.

I suggest you post a query on the Eaglemoss Collections page on Facebook - from what I've read there it seems that issues posted there get prompt attention:
    http://www.facebook.com/EaglemossCollections
  • RCMadShaneRCMadShane Posts: 2MI6 Agent
    Hi all
    Can anyone help me.. I have subscribed to this kit and have been collecting happily from the start however I am missing issue 46(Think it is ... the roof lining issue).. and it has been on back order for 9 months +.. I have contacted the DB5 magazine god knows how many times but they just do not seem to be doing anything... is there many people out there still missing parts??

Is there another way to get missing parts??

Thanks
    Shane
  • dailo007dailo007 Posts: 182MI6 Agent
    I subscribed back in July having bought issues 1-60 on ebay, payment has been taken, but having returned to the UK last month not a single issue/gift has been received at my UK address. Based in Hong Kong the last thing I need is a long call to their service desk and after several emails I've not heard a Dickie Bird, any suggestions?!
    dailo007 wrote:
    I subscribed back in July having bought issues 1-60 on ebay, payment has been taken, but having returned to the UK last month not a single issue/gift has been received at my UK address. Based in Hong Kong the last thing I need is a long call to their service desk and after several emails I've not heard a Dickie Bird, any suggestions?!

I'm waiting on an email back as well... still waiting for my last issues. I'd love an explanation instead of a canned response. They're really slow to respond.
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    I hate to say it guys, but from what I can see, now that the subscription has ended and your money taken, GE Fabbri have reduced their customer service to virtually FA.

If you have missing bits etc i guess your only hope is evilbay.

MG -{
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • chris27989chris27989 Posts: 22MI6 Agent
    I guessing im lucky one i managed to buy all the issues brand new off ebay for £370 inc postage..
    I wish everyone the best of luck finding there parts needed for the build.
    Ebay would be my solution for any parts needed

chris