GE Fabbri 1/8 Scale AM DB5 Kit

Comments

• DokkDokk Posts: 382MI6 Agent
    spencer50 wrote:
    Jamster wrote:
    So is it some kind of market research excercise??

It was I'm afraid, as I telephoned them today & got verification that after issue No 6 there will be no more until early 2011!
    I was told no money will be taken, but we will receive a letter asking us if we want to continue with our subscription before its goes public. Any changes to the models parts that we already have, will be sent to us free of charge.

So there you go. Mr. John Steed did mention 2011 as a starting point, & he did say outside the Grampian area new subscribers should have been declined, but we wasn't.

I for one will stick it out & wait, but I must admit, we should have been informed of this on the website BEFORE your allowed to subscribe.
    GE Fabbri do not have a very good customer information policy, so after this, I for one will not trust them on a subscription level again.

I too am going to stick it out,mainly because I want this model!!!..I am prepared to wait -{ :007)
  • JamsterJamster ukPosts: 54MI6 Agent
    Yes it was something I was very interested in, though now if it is released in early 2011, 75 issues..... completed mid 2012 = over two years from now!!
  • scurr01scurr01 AustraliaPosts: 59MI6 Agent
    does that happen to coincide with the finish of the James Bond Car Collection by any chance? Just wondering if they've decided customers collecting those cars would be more likely to start this one if the other one has finished.
  • crocke007crocke007 Posts: 107MI6 Agent
    i reckon you're right Mr Scurr01 - if they wait until the Car Collection is complete they'll probably get more people on board.
    Maybe those who collect all 100 will get a "special offer" - or a free gift - of some kind on this one !

i really want this car but 2 years seems like ages - perhaps they should ask us how often we want each publication, e.g 1 a month, 2 a month, weekly etc.... any views ????
    crocke007 wrote:
    i reckon you're right Mr Scurr01 - if they wait until the Car Collection is complete they'll probably get more people on board.
    Maybe those who collect all 100 will get a "special offer" - or a free gift - of some kind on this one !

i really want this car but 2 years seems like ages - perhaps they should ask us how often we want each publication, e.g 1 a month, 2 a month, weekly etc.... any views ????

I spoke to a guy at DB5 & he said it would be July B4 anything was confirmed about the collection...so we have 2 months to bite our nails..-{ :007)
  • JamsterJamster ukPosts: 54MI6 Agent
    crocke007 wrote:

Personally if it isnt out till next year I would prefer that they reduced the number of issues to 52 (weekly), but kept the same price!!
  • scurr01scurr01 AustraliaPosts: 59MI6 Agent
    I'll be happy if they release it here in Australia, let alone in what frequency.
    I've got a sneaky feeling that GEF have taken the second direct payment of £27.98 from my bank!!!!!..I thought we were not getting anymore issues???...then payment should be suspended as well...will check with bank tomorrow!...-{ :007)
  • CAMMYCAMMY Fife,ScotlandPosts: 53MI6 Agent
    Dokk wrote:
    I've got a sneaky feeling that GEF have taken the second direct payment of £27.98 from my bank!!!!!..I thought we were not getting anymore issues???...then payment should be suspended as well...will check with bank tomorrow!...-{ :007)
    yes
    they took the second payment from me but when i phoned to complain the returned the money to my account
    CAMMY wrote:
    Dokk wrote:
    yes
    they took the second payment from me but when i phoned to complain the returned the money to my account

Yes! same here!, foned will get refund. -{ :007)
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    Is it just me, or are there others on here thinking this 'market research' pitch of GE Fabbri's is a bit of a cloak and dagger move?

First up they announce the model, launch a website and start taking people's subscriptions (and money i might add) then they tell us that it was only supposed to be scotland or somewhere that should have been accepted for the trial, but they failed to mention anything about a trial, then on issue 6, they eventually come clean and tell us the real deal, that its all just been an excersize to see what interest there is. oh and then they give everyone's money back.

I'm sorry but couldn't a simple survey had been sufficient instead of misleading everyone and taking a load of money they knew they'd have to give back?

It just doesn't make much sense to me why GE Fabbri had to go to such long measures in order to obtain some marketting data.

Explainations anyone? :S

Did things not go to plan at GE towers, was there really production issues which caused the subscription to be pulled? Or was it all just a ploy to see how many people would sign up with their hard-earned in hand?

I just feel its a bit mean for the guys who have subscribed to recieve that letter.
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    minigeff wrote:
    Is it just me, or are there others on here thinking this 'market research' pitch of GE Fabbri's is a bit of a cloak and dagger move?

First up they announce the model, launch a website and start taking people's subscriptions (and money i might add) then they tell us that it was only supposed to be scotland or somewhere that should have been accepted for the trial, but they failed to mention anything about a trial, then on issue 6, they eventually come clean and tell us the real deal, that its all just been an excersize to see what interest there is. oh and then they give everyone's money back.

I'm sorry but couldn't a simple survey had been sufficient instead of misleading everyone and taking a load of money they knew they'd have to give back?

It just doesn't make much sense to me why GE Fabbri had to go to such long measures in order to obtain some marketting data.

Explainations anyone? :S

Did things not go to plan at GE towers, was there really production issues which caused the subscription to be pulled? Or was it all just a ploy to see how many people would sign up with their hard-earned in hand?

I just feel its a bit mean for the guys who have subscribed to recieve that letter.

It pissed me off enough to cancel the JBCC :D
  • FACTFACT Station ZPosts: 320MI6 Agent
    Maybe as a perspective on the numbers these partwork vendors expect to sell, a recent edition of Model Collector magazine (May 2010) carried the stats for Atlas Editions' recent launch of the "Best of British Buses" partwork - this is a series of 1:76 scale buses sourced from Corgi, sold with magazine & free gifts, etc.

The orders taken for Issue 1 (the RTW Double Decker, London Transport) amounted to 90,000 pieces - this for the launch price of £1.99. Apparently they underestimated demand and some subscribers had to wait over a month for delivery.

The estimated number of purchasers who did go on to order Issue 2 and possibly the other 28 planned models, at £14.99 each, is estimated at 35,000 to 40,000 subscribers.

Atlas have said that the series might be extended if the demand is there (ie. if enough subscribers stay on board) ... where have we heard that before?

I don't know about this DB5 partwork, but I would say that GE Fabbri easily hit 90,000 subscriptions on the JBCC series - and there is obviously enough of those subscribers sticking with it to cover the tooling costs of the remaining 20-odd models.
    If that is indeed the case, I would think that the launch of this DB5 partwork was premature and the launch subscription probably didn't meet the required numbers. They will most likely try again when the other partwork has finished.

Personally this one doesn't appeal to me - the model is just too large & would be an oddity amongst my 1:18 and 1:43 collection.
  • JohnSteedJohnSteed Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    I thought I should drop in to clarify what has been happening with the DB5 model. As many of you have guessed, the initial release is a dry run in a limited area for a planned national release in early 2011. We are very sorry that we couldn’t be more open about this, but the investment involved in creating something like the DB5 model runs into millions of pounds and it is important that we test everything rigorously and make sure that we will be able to deliver the product to the highest possible standards over an 18 month period. Unfortunately, actually putting the product on sale is the only way we can test this.

With most partworks we are able to let the test run on so there’s no interruption in people’s supply. However, because of the particular challenges posed by the buildup DB5 model we have had to suspend publication until we can go national.

At the moment, we are assessing everything to make sure that the project is financially viable. Unlike a normal magazine, once we have released the DB5 nationally there’s no way we could stop publishing if the product started to lose money - we simply will not get into a situation where we can’t supply all the parts.

We are also looking at how we can improve things. It’s already clear that we need to improve the packaging for subscribers. We are also looking at the model in detail to see if there are any improvements we can make. And, finally we are looking into the possibility of making completed versions of the model available – all we can say at the moment is that it may be possible but it won’t be cheap.

We hope to have completed all our analysis by the end of July when we’ll be making a formal announcement.
    Mr Steed, thanks for the info. I think maybe GE could have contacted those of us whose subscribed, with this information.

its very disappointing to read that it may not go ahead - i really want this model - maybe look to supply more pieces of the kit in less publications, eg 52 in weekly parts, or even more pieces to be collected in 12 issues over 12 months ??

i think if the car were available ready made it would cost too much for most people, unless it could be paid for monthly - but then again, most of us are model collectors and enjoy "putting them together" !!!

also they really need to be sent in boxes to avoid damage.

anyway, i really hope you decide to go ahead with this - please keep us informed !!
  • Gadget MeisterGadget Meister Bicester, OxonPosts: 1,972MI6 Agent
    edited June 2010
    To John Steed
    Have just recieved my 1, 2 & 3 back issues and I have to say that I'm not overly happy with the number plate design in issue 2. I believe the BMT 216A plate should have raised silver characters, and the Swiss plate should have a red background to the Swiss flag. Issue 3, the tyres definately need some work and are very plain and blank, they need some Dunlop and spec markings. Issue 5, the weapons tray, badly described in all of the literature as have the worng contents. Although I have not opened this item yet it appears that it is moulded in one piece and not with seperate weapons as detailed in the parts list, can anyone confirm if this is the case. To the masses these may seem trivial issues, but to hard core collectors they are make/break issues. If and when this series get's off the ground again then these and other accuracy issues need addressing. Come on GE Fabbri, if you want us to buy then these things must be sorted out, we are your core customers.
    as is always the case with items like models, people will always pick out whats wrong before commenting on whats right.

the problem for me, and what stops me from being interested in this subscription anymore, is that people are pointing out too many 'issues' and not saying enough positive points.

i can understand that to mass produce this kind of model, at this scale is problematic to say the least. but there are several areas where I personally wouldn't and couldn't let the project go 'out the door' as it were unless i'd reworked and perfected it.

maybe i'm being too picky? or that I should be saying for the money, the model aint half bad? its not that bad too be honest, its just the finer details seem to reflect the low price, and at this scale, it shouldnt do as much as it does.

i hope the detail niggles are ironed out, and that this project does get up and running, but I won't purchase unless theres a total set in stone promise that all the issues and parts will be made.

buying all the bits when the subscription has run its course, and saving up in the mean time is a much safer option from where i'm sat.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Yeah sorry if I came across as just wingeing, there are a lot of good things about it as well, but if Fabbri aren't made aware of the concerns then the'll never be fixed. John Steed has come back with some good detailed feedback so I believe issues are being addressed, the difference is that when you spend £30 on an Autoart 1/18 you expect the odd faux pax but when you spend almost £600 then I feel we have a right to point out errors and omissions.
    GM,

no, i totally agree with what you're saying, wasn't trying to say you were winging or anything.

i believe the concerns mentions by everyone are genuine calls for concern.

when looking at the cost side of things, i have to compare this with the kyosho stuff.

kyosho got more detail, mass produced it, marketed it worldwide, and produced a built model, not a kit, for half the price.

for £600 i'd expect all the right details, and a very good overall finish and fit with all the parts.

ok, so its not as much as a £3K model from amalgam, but there are ways to produce sharp accurate details without going crazy on tooling costs and thus a high retail price.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    hey all, i had issue 6 yesterday along with a letter saying its all been suspended for a bit.
    Hope it goes ahead !!!
    The letter also said that further info would be available on the website - nothing has been updated yet tho !!
  • Leijo007Leijo007 Posts: 106MI6 Agent
    I'm just posting this reply to be able to subscribe to it and get an e-mail if there's a new reply in this topic. Is there another way (like a button somewhere in the topic) to subscribe to a topic, or can you only do that by posting a reply and ticking the box at the bottom there?
    Leijo007 wrote:
    I'm just posting this reply to be able to subscribe to it and get an e-mail if there's a new reply in this topic. Is there another way (like a button somewhere in the topic) to subscribe to a topic, or can you only do that by posting a reply and ticking the box at the bottom there?

sorry misread your post
    edited June 2010
    Just received Issue 1 today(after waiting 2 long months.)..looks good!..apart from the idiotic Postman who for some unknown reason, thought you could get a 2 foot long parcel through a 12" long letter-box!!!..give him his due!, he finally managed it!,by folding the package in half..the f***king retard!!!..just about to fone the P.O.Depot & give them s**t X-( -{ :007)
  • CAMMYCAMMY Fife,ScotlandPosts: 53MI6 Agent
    Dokk wrote:
    Just received Issue 1 today(after waiting 2 long months.)..looks good!..apart from the idiotic Postman who for some unkown reason, thought you could get a 2 foot long parcel through a 12" long letter-box!!!..give him his due!, he finally managed it!,by folding the package in half..the f***king retard!!!..just about to fone the P.O.Depot & give them s**t X-( -{ :007)
    me too , think we have the same post man
  • MiG29 FulcrumMiG29 Fulcrum Lancashire, UKPosts: 37MI6 Agent
    Still waiting for Issue No. 4. Have rung GE Fabbri 6 (SIX) times about it and on each occasion they say they will send it out "Special Delivery" via a courier!!! Some special delivery - where do these parts come from - The Moon or somewhere? If they are beginning to treat avid subscribers like this, then I am seriously considering jacking it in - even if they do decide to restart the whole thing by the end of July!!!
    I've never had any trouble with delivery of the JBCC (James Bond Car Collection so why should this part work be any different, especially when it is coming from the same publisher???
    X-( X-( X-( ;)
    Yeah, I'm still waiting for #4 as well
    im waiting for part 3 - phoned and they said to wait, we should also get a letter sometime in July telling us whats happening with it all

dont hold your breath tho !!!
    I'm also still waiting for issue 3, but my mom's friend (who has the subscription for me, since she lives in the UK and I live in the Netherlands) only phoned recently to tell them it still hasn't arrived. So I'll just have to be patient for a bit...
    Mr Leijo007, it must be even more frustrating for you then - lets just they go ahead with it - should hear sometime this month !!
    do you collect the cars to ??
    The JBCC you mean? Yes I do, although once again through my mom's friend from the UK. I started collecting them when there was no mention yet of the collection being released in the Netherlands as well, so I'm about a year ahead of the Dutch subscribers (and a little bit cheaper off, even though I have to pay for shipping from the UK to the Netherlands!).