GE Fabbri 1/8 Scale AM DB5 Kit

Comments

• scaramangasgoldengunscaramangasgoldengun ScotlandPosts: 1,388MI6 Agent
    When I Saw the TV ad for this I thought .. GREAT! :) will have to get it

Then when I viewed it online and seen the detail .. well lack of it, I thought Give it a miss

for a model this size it should not be all plastic looking, it should be way way more accurate
    than what it seems to be,

The Danbury Mint model has better Detail than that. Even The Minichamps Goldfinger DB5 or
    even the New Scalextric model seems to be better , and with that you can have fun racing it
    and making the gadgets work.

I always feel that these week by week Magazines etc are a complete rip off ... My Uncle is collecting
    the James Bond Car collection.. ok most of them are great, very nice detail and I do like them.... but
    'come on' stick to cars that were featured in the films for more than a min on screen. when it gets to
    the stage a car Bond drove by at 100 mph and a whole magazine is devoted to it with a poor model...
    you have to wake up and smell the coffee sadly :#
  • ppw3o6rppw3o6r Great BritainPosts: 2,271MI6 Agent
    Dear GE Fabbri/Abby1,

Great to see the website is updated and ready for business and pardon the pun RIGHT TO BUSINESS!
    Will all subscribers including those who are long standing, be entered into your new addition to the website of Subscribe and be entered into a draw to win an OMEGA PLANET OCEAN Quantum of Solace style watch? I've just clicked on that link & found that perhaps this is only open for new subscribers? I'm sure GE Fabbri would not be that unfair to the early supporters of the project?
  • Knight1966Knight1966 Posts: 19MI6 Agent
    edited January 2011
    For me the car simply doesn't look right with its separate body sections, the interior is terrible (as shown in the photos), and the price is far too high when compared to a highly detailled, ready-built 1:12 Kyosho. Even if some details have been changed after the initial release, it does still not convince me.

But I am glad you like it and I hope that you will inform us here as the kit progresses.

Whilst I applaud your faith in the Kyosho Vanquish as having owned one pre-divorce it is a superb 1/12 scale model of a totally different car, and you justly champion the quality and level of detail, what you do not consider is that for the size of the Kyosho at an average of £350-400 you do get higher detail in a smaller model so proportionately the Kyosho is more expensive. Now before you respond with "Well a 1/8 scale should have better/higher Detail" let me put this to you, most 1/8 scale Formula 1 prebuilt replicas cost £2,000-3,000 e.g http://f1store.formula1.com/stores/f1/products/product_details.aspx?pid=60937 http://www.grandprixlegends.com/diecast-legends/motorsport/f1/amalgam-red-bull-rb5-2009-vettel-1-8-model-car.html http://f1store.formula1.com/stores/f1/products/product_details.aspx?pid=79595 and this is the UK's top Diecast car suppliers link please feel free to find any 1/8th scale car for less than £2,000 http://www.grandprixlegends.com/diecast-legends/scale/1-8?filter_action=3&filter_value=2 (also note these models are static, have no working gadgets etc)

So if you want kyosho/Danbury mint level detail in a 1/8 James Bond Gadget laden DB5 then expect to pay the same, this model is offering more than acceptable detail for a much more than reasonable £589.15, So if Kyosho or Danbury Mint or for that matter any manufacturer can produce a pre-built, all bells and whistles high end 1/8 James Bond Gadget laden DB5 for less than that then bring it on and get it in the shops by next week and I'll cancel my subscription.

Slightly Bond related, No gadgets just the car, http://www.grandprixlegends.com/diecast-legends/scale/1-8/Aston-Martin-DB9-1-8.html And here endeth the Quality vs Price arguement
  • minigeffminigeff EnglandPosts: 7,884MI6 Agent
    hmmmm imo;

it takes a decent model maker the same time to do a job right as it takes a crap one to do it wrong.

the way ge have cut corners looks to be by having more details contained in one part. ie, amalgam would make a door panel out of several pieces, ge cast it in one or two.

reducing the number of parts reduces your tooling cost, which reduces your RRP.

sadly, this can mean less detail.

if ge offered me the subscription for 300 i'd do it, but i know a lot of it i'd have to remake.

MG
    'Force feeding AJB humour and banter since 2009'
    Vive le droit à la libre expression! Je suis Charlie!
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • Q and MQ and M IrelandPosts: 171MI6 Agent
    is it really for 85 weeks?
  • GaryDGaryD Posts: 10MI6 Agent
    Q and M wrote:

Yes. It says so in the material with Issue 1 and also on the website here:
    http://007db5.com/instructions.asp

So, 84 x £6.99 plus issue 1 @ £1.99 = £589.15 total cost.

(I see earlier posts were stating 75 issues. I don't know where that came from.)
  • jbukjbuk Posts: 31MI6 Agent
    I have decided to go for it if it would of been £600 just for the model and no building i wouldn't of othered but the bit by bit has drawn me in along with the fact theres no glue or paints. Also the working parts look great espcially the number plate and ejector seat.
  • QGadgets839QGadgets839 Posts: 3MI6 Agent
    Hi,
    I'm new to the forum.
    I've bought the first issue of the DB5 model and now I'm in limbo over wheather to continue with it.
    I am a massive Bond fan, particually of the DB5, so I'm unsure. When considering the size, you can allow some errors, but the rewards at the end of it must be considered, and if Aston Martin didn't think it was a good representation, then they wouldn't have approved it.
    Then again....

What do you think, please reply.
  • Rainier WolfcastleRainier Wolfcastle Posts: 484MI6 Agent
    Knight1966 wrote:
    ... 1/12 scale model of a totally different car, and you justly champion the quality and level of detail, what you do not consider is that for the size of the Kyosho at an average of £350-400 you do get higher detail in a smaller model so proportionately the Kyosho is more expensive. Now before you respond with "Well a 1/8 scale should have better/higher Detail" let me put this to you, most 1/8 scale Formula 1 prebuilt replicas cost £2,000-3,000

Sorry, but are you serious? You get higher detail in a smaller scale and still think that the Kyosho is more expensive in comparison? Of course it's far easier to get the details right on a larger model. - E.g. a detail on the 1:8 is 3x larger than on the 1:24 Danbury Mint, so unavoidable tolerances for each part are less significant on a larger model. There is no reason that the steering wheel or the instrument panel have to look so crude in 1:8. Take a look at a CMC or Exoto and see what can be done in 1:18 (!) for 150 to 200 Euros.

I compare the Fabbri with the Kyosho as 1:12 was the largest Bond car you could buy to date. Yes, a Vanquish is not a DB5, but it is not "a totally different car" - it is comparable as it has the same Bond extras like an ejector seat or concealed weapons in addition to the usual opening parts. I doubt that the 1:12 uses far less parts so the costs for dies and moulds should be comparable. More raw materials for the 1:8, but we are talking of some zinc alloy and plastic, so the price difference here is not significant.

I will not compare the DB5 with a hand-built model like Amalgam. Of course, £600 seem cheap when compared with £2000. However, the DB5 is still a mass-produced die-cast, like the Kyosho or a Matchbox, and although the kit parts are then "hand-built" into a complete DB5, this is completely different to a hand-built model made in low quantities. I have never seen an Amalgam but have seen 1:14 (the standard scale for high-end models back then) hand-builts many years ago. Their bodywork was made from thin aluminium sheet hammered and bent into shape much like the real cars. The makers of such models need up to 100 hours to complete a model. This is not to be compared to screwing some metal and plastic parts together. But you can get hand-built 1:8 models for 800 to 1500 Euros from Laika Vintage Scale Cars Holland. I have not found a website other than some photos on Flickr:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/laika-vintage/ (some look very good, others a little toyish, I have to say though)
    Hi,
    I'm new to the forum.
    I've bought the first issue of the DB5 model and now I'm in limbo over wheather to continue with it.
    I am a massive Bond fan, particually of the DB5, so I'm unsure. When considering the size, you can allow some errors, but the rewards at the end of it must be considered, and if Aston Martin didn't think it was a good representation, then they wouldn't have approved it.
    Then again....

What do you think, please reply.

Hello, welcome to the forum!
    Well, obviously I am not a fan of this kit but I would say that in such a big scale there shouldn't be some errors. However, no one here knows how the final product will look, how many and which parts have been changed after the prototypes, so our concerns may or may not be obsolete.
    welcome Qgadget839

imo i saw the tv ad tonight and it got me thinking about this again.

i've come to the conclusion that if it were available to buy outright as a kit, i'd save up and buy it.

its the time and uncertainty of completion that put me off. i've got horrible visions of me having a box of bits and no floor pan to put them on.

what i'll most likely do is start a 'db5 fund' jar and order it all in one go as backorders once the subscription draws to a close.
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
    Knight1966 wrote:
    ... you do get higher detail in a smaller model so PROPORTIONATELY the Kyosho is more expensive.

Sorry, but are you serious? You get higher detail in a smaller scale and still think that the Kyosho is more expensive in comparison?

Yes I am serious, if kyosho built their Vanquish to the same standard with the same level of detail but in 1/8 it would cost between £700-800 if not more therefore proportionately it is more expensive.

You also do not take into consideration that from a subscribers stand point all these parts will be hand delivered to your door saving you the trouble of traipsing to the local newsagents week in week out, hoping they've not sold out. I appreciate GE will have negotiated a good rate with courier to do this but that is a deductible expense to take into account against the overall cost, for subscribers, oh and then there's the free gifts, the chance to win an Omega Seamaster. Add to that the economic climate, disposable income etc etc perhaps you're wealthy enough not to have to concern yourself but on my humble income GE are offering me the opportunity to own something I have coverted most of my adult life and spread the cost of it over an affordable period, I really really don't know what you expect at this price perhaps you'd only be happy with a real 1:1 Aston DB5?????
  • Mark HazardMark Hazard West Midlands, UKPosts: 495MI6 Agent
    On the subject of prices, a few years ago (just before they changed hands) Corgi had got as far as making a prototype 1/8 scale DB5. The idea was to make an 007 version, and for AM collectors, a straight DB5, the projected price for the 007 version was in the region of £3,000 - the prototype was in evidence at one of the BondStars Pinewood events.

One problem with the die-cast body was that the weight caused the narrower roof section to the one side of the roof hatch to crack. The way this new version is being made seems to get over that problem.
    minigeff wrote:
    its the time and uncertainty of completion that put me off. i've got horrible visions of me having a box of bits and no floor pan to put them on.

what i'll most likely do is start a 'db5 fund' jar and order it all in one go as backorders once the subscription draws to a close.

Well, Fabbri guarantee that they will complete the kit under all circumstances, but if they should go bust - and much can happen within a year or two - this "guarantee" will be worth nothing. On the other hand, if everyone interested in the DB5 had only bought issue 1 and then stopped while waiting for the last issue, this complete project would not continue. I wonder what Fabbri would have done? Offer it as a complete kit (which does not work with their distribution channels)?

minigeff, just be aware that some issues may be sold out earlier! E.g. the tyres and wheels could be used by modelmakers for other projects ...
    Knight1966 wrote:
    You also do not take into consideration that from a subscribers stand point all these parts will be hand delivered to your door saving you the trouble of traipsing to the local newsagents week in week out, hoping they've not sold out. I appreciate GE will have negotiated a good rate with courier to do this but that is a deductible expense to take into account against the overall cost, for subscribers, oh and then there's the free gifts, the chance to win an Omega Seamaster.

I really really don't know what you expect at this price perhaps you'd only be happy with a real 1:1 Aston DB5?????

Each car of the JBCC, hand delivered to my door, costs me 18 instead of 14 Euros, that's more than 40%. Add 40% to £600 ...

"The chance to win an Omega Seamaster" - you sound like an advertisement. Are you a colleague of MrSteed, he the man for the official statements and you the "viral marketing" man playing the delighted customer?

What do I expect at this price? It's more like: What do I expect at this scale? Definately a more accurate representation of the real car. Otherwise I would have bought some of the tin-plate Astons of the 1960s, if it's just for holding a heavy chunk of metal in the hand. As for now, I'd rather spend £600 on two Corgi Astons in the rare 1968-72 boxes.

However, I am interested in the 1:8, and maybe it will turn out fantastic. I would be delighted if you or another subscriber could provide pictures of the parts of each issue.
    On the subject of prices, a few years ago (just before they changed hands) Corgi had got as far as making a prototype 1/8 scale DB5. The idea was to make an 007 version, and for AM collectors, a straight DB5, the projected price for the 007 version was in the region of £3,000 - the prototype was in evidence at one of the BondStars Pinewood events.

One problem with the die-cast body was that the weight caused the narrower roof section to the one side of the roof hatch to crack. The way this new version is being made seems to get over that problem.

I think the £3,000 price tag was just for getting noticed in the media, and that the real price would have been far lower in the end (but still 4-digit for a ready-built). And I don't think we need a body in three sections to prevent cracking. This could have been changed for production, things like this are the very reason for building a prototype. The body would need more support in the door sill area but four screws would have done the job.
    it was my understanding that the 3 piece bodyshell was due to shipping issues, not weakspots.

but here's another thing to consider; if the 'shell is in 3 bits, will the colour match?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    I think the thing is this, if you decide not to go for it and you are an AM nut you will be forever kicking yourself for not going for it, 2 foot long has got to be impressive and I doubt if you would ever get another chance of owning one this size?

Singe with the miracles you can pull off why you even worried what it looks like ?.

The only reason I am still on the fence is the length of time to collect, id probably loose parts, and I am crap at building things :D
  • JamsterJamster ukPosts: 54MI6 Agent
    I bought issue 1 today. I too am sitting on the fence a bit cos of the length of time. 20 odd months is a long time to wait for a finished item. I think i would have preferred more parts with each issue at a highrer price and spread over 12 months. I think a lot of the internal detailing could be better, but certain bits could be correctable.

Did we ever get an answer regarding the reason for an extra 10 issues??

Minigeff, I think GE Fabbri said somewhere in this thread the reason (or one of them) for the 3 piece bodyshell was cos of the cost to mold it in one section.
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    GaryD wrote:
    Q and M wrote:

(I see earlier posts were stating 75 issues. I don't know where that came from.)

Yikes, that's more than my Dinner suit cost, and almost twice the price of the 1:350 Thunderbird 2. :(
    Plus since the publication will be over two years, is there the danger the mag issue price may go up at some point?
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
    85 weeks is not 'over 2 years'; where do you live, Saturn? the term is no longer than most standard Mobile phone contracts so it's a little like impatiently waiting for your next upgrade.

On a different note, I'm not inclined to even dignify previous comments by 'qouteing' them, I just think it's sad when you have to resort to personnal slurs and try to discredit someone's opinion by implying they're 'on the pay role'.

Fine, you don't like this kit as you've made perfectly clear, so A) Move on and leave us that do like/want this kit to it and B) Why on earth would I send you pictures of something you repeatedly state you dislike? If you want to know what the finished product looks like buy one, like the rest of us.
  • MANDY1MANDY1 TISPosts: 2,608MI6 Agent
    edited January 2011
    At this part i'd say Live and Let Live, meaning everyone has a right for an opinion ;)

And personally I think idea of pictures, (if someone is willing to take some) is good
    just like JBCC collectors posts pictures from time to time. Just saying this cause there's
    members from all over the World and if i'm correct this scale kit is exclusively for UK orders only.
    Knowing who to trust is Everything in this business.

TIS - "The moment you think you got it figured - you're wrong"

Formerly known as Teppo
  • Mark HazardMark Hazard West Midlands, UKPosts: 495MI6 Agent

And I don't think we need a body in three sections to prevent cracking. This could have been changed for production, things like this are the very reason for building a prototype. The body would need more support in the door sill area but four screws would have done the job.

By all accounts they had tried the body shell quite a number of times (different ways/methods) with the same results. After the Pinewood event the prototype was being taken to China to see whether it could be done in "plastic".
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    Knight1966 wrote:
    85 weeks is not 'over 2 years'; where do you live, Saturn? the term is no longer than most standard Mobile phone contracts so it's a little like impatiently waiting for your next upgrade.

Brain cramp. I have to stop posting when knackered. Plus I haven't been on Saturn for weeks! (Shrugs) By the way I waited VERY impatiently for my latest Mobile upgrade! :D

Back on topic, I see MiniG's point. If the model was released as a conventional kit I might feel a bit differently about saving for it.
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
  • crocke007crocke007 Posts: 107MI6 Agent
    hey all

I spoke to GE today - they confirmed that all existing subscribers will be entered into the draw for the Omega.

We'll also get letters of confirmation of when to expect deliveries, and details on how to access our "account" on the website ( that bit isn't not working yet ), so we should be hearing from them soon.

I already have issues 1 - 6 ( but not 3 !!! ) so i will apparenlty get issues 7 - 10 at the end of Feb !!
    As Eon are putting their name to this also it's a possibility that as the magazine will presumably have 'Bond' features then the 85 week schedule could take it up to and including 'Bond 23' Which could possibly feature the DB5.

BTW was fortunate enough to see the first production Aston Martin One 77 yesterday.
  • DokkDokk Posts: 382MI6 Agent
    GaryD wrote:
    Q and M wrote:

Initially there was meant to be 75 issues..some people have already got 6 issues from the promo/test releases at the end of 2010 -{ :007)
  • DokkDokk Posts: 382MI6 Agent
    To all the people who are saying it's too expensive...one simple solution..DON'T BUY IT!!!!!..because if you can.t afford the £6.99 a week which is a packet of Fags & a throw-away lighter once a week..then you are correct! You can't afford it!!!... -{ :007)
  • scaramangasgoldengunscaramangasgoldengun ScotlandPosts: 1,388MI6 Agent
    I don't think its too expensive .... I just think for the money you aint getting great detail / material / finish and accuracy ..... I think if the seats were covered in a nice leather or even fake leather, and the gear stick wasn't as thick as the gear knob, also the gadget control panel in the arm rest looks little like any of the Bond DB5's including the 2 originals and the promotional DB5's ... also the front Number plate surround it nothing like any of The DB5's original, Promotional or even Replicas made over the years, But Replicas shouldn't even come into it.... I shouldnt have said that, it should be based on the 2 originals from the film The one that sold recently owned by Jerry Lee and the one that went missing The effects car.....

if it was just that little bit more detailed, I would have loved to have collected this and proudly displayed it.... It could have been fantastic! :#
  • ppw3o6rppw3o6r Great BritainPosts: 2,271MI6 Agent
    Okay time to open a can of worms (sorry MG), the only competition this model has is made to order by Diamond Cars in Germany at a very reasonable 3,500.00 Euros!, more if you want the radio control version and why wouldn't you?

History of the part build £600 jobby: The proposed Corgi version was to be £1500 and was to be limited to just 250 units. The GE Fabbri version was prototyped by the company who built the Corgi Goldfinger DB5. When Corgi cancelled the project the master was considered by GE Fabbri but was rejected for a completely new scratch build which has been approved by both AML Ltd and EON productions. Clearly there are onging modifications simply from the fact that the tyres are now Dunlop branded. The first tyre sent out was quite bland. Hopefully GE Fabbri will remember to send a branded tyre to the early subscribers who already have the unbranded unit which of course was an assurance if WE did not cancel our subscriptions.

Even taking on board the comments of those who are bloody clever at replicating specialist low volume props/models, regarding finish of certain components on the model I feel that the model still represents fantastic value for money considering the size of the thing. Personally I can't wait to build this model as I've been waiting since 1964 for such an item, yes I'm that old!.
    Perhaps GE Fabbri may want to respond to the following? When the test subscription ended, if the magazine was relaunched GE were considering selling fully built models for those who can't wait 85? weeks. Is this still a possibility??
    just seen that once subscribed, all your parts are reserved for you, guaranteeing that you'll be able to complete your model.

my opinion on this is starting to sway......

what are the 5 free gifts by the way?
    www.helpforheroes.org.uk
    www.cancerresearchuk.org
  • brogusbluebrogusblue Posts: 26MI6 Agent
    the 5 gifts are

1) Binder
    2) Goldfinger dvd
    3) Set of screwdrivers
    4) Screw Box
    5) Aston Martin Book by H.F. Ullman

Just had my confirmation and pay dates via email, Also just registered my online account .. The aston martin book is coming with parts 1,2 & 3 and the other gifts will be sent out after every 5 deliveries.. the partworks finish on 07/08/2012