English Football (Soccer)

Comments

• PredatorPredator Posts: 790Chief of Staff
    I'm not at all sure that either Spurs or the FA would want that as there would be accusations on both sides that he would spend too much time with the other ... just won't work long term.

While I suspect they will go for HR, it will be starting mid-May. If the FA try to get him before season's end, there will likely be huge penalty clauses on his Spurs contract and the one thing the FA can't do is spend too much money again. Then there's the salary - will HR accept less than the £6M that Capello got a year? Highly unlikely. Will he get a long enough contract for his liking? Who knows, but the FA are unlikely to offer a terribly long one given the mess they got in post World Cup.

I reckon the it will be very expensive to pick HR - does the FA have the balls/money to get him?
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    I do think the FA have the balls/money to get him. I think they would likely offer Harry Redknapp a two year contract up to and including the World Cup in Brazil 2014, rather than offering him a longer term contract. At this time in his life and career I would say that Redknapp would be more likely to accept than not.

I agree that it will be starting mid-May. Not an ideal scenario but it makes sense. Stuart Pearce would likely remain caretaker manager and keep Redknapp briefed on a regular basis.
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,278MI6 Agent
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017

An interesting idea, Nap. If all the Spanish team were to undergo gene therapy and alter their appearance to look English we might actually win something.

Scott Parker to captain England
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17204891
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,582Chief of Staff
    No idea why he's gone with Scott Parker...other than the fact he should play the full game as he is suspended for this weekends match...a poor choice, imo.
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    No idea why he's gone with Scott Parker...other than the fact he should play the full game as he is suspended for this weekends match...a poor choice, imo.

I think 'Uncle Arry' has had a word with Stuart Pearce. "You make my boy Parker captain and there could be something in it for you when I become England manager". :D

Always good to see fringe players and young guns given a chance in friendly international's. There is little to prove for the more experienced players who more often than not approach these games as little more than a training exercise.
    Parker's manner reminded me of another actor, but I couldn't think who. Hard to have too much faith in the new gang, though they were minus Rooney, Gerard, Lampard, who are the experience. You never get the feeling the England team really gels, or has that defining moment when it all comes together.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    It's difficult to imagine England winning a major tournament in the foreseeable future. Honest endeavour and some talent will only get you so far. Having said that, Greece won Euro 2004 so it is not impossible. It's just that when I look at top teams like Spain their players look more comfortable on the ball, it looks like a friend to them. By contrast many of the English players look awkward on the ball and it looks like a grenade to them. They can't get rid of it quick enough.
    Sir Miles wrote:

Nonsense.

:p
  • Ammo08Ammo08 Missouri, USAPosts: 387MI6 Agent
    Well, the USA Team beat the Italians the other day, does this mean we're finally going to have a team that can compete? I'm still learning the vagaries of the game and how the teams are ranked etc...actually I'm totally lost, but I expect to learn more.
    "I don't know if the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or imbeciles who mean it."-Mark Twain
    'Just because nobody complains doesn't mean all parachutes are perfect.'- Benny Hill (1924-1992)
    Not in the Euros (obviously), but an interesting and historic result. Italy are never truly on their game for friendlies, but I think there is something here. The rankings are virtually meaningless (England are ranked #5 in the world and they aren't close in actuality) since there are so many national teams.

The US women's team is probably the best in the world ... and if their rapid ascent is anything to go by, I wouldn't be surprised to see the men rise up the rankings. The secret is a core of players who are talented enough to raise the profile/standing of the team and provide enough impetus for the new players to be inspired to take up the game.

Roger Moore 1927-2017

You know the penalty for success and failure at Chelsea. Any manager going there knows even a league and cup double may not be enough for Roman Abramovich. Villas-Boas was always going to find it difficult. A number of the star players are past their prime and Torres has been a failure to date. Villas-Boas is no novice having won trophies with Porto. I am sure he will find employment with another top European club soon.
    He looked a wally in his truncated trenchcoat however... like a mini-me of Roger Moore entering a bar in Harlem...

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Well, it may not be Harry Redknapp after all. West Bromwich Albion have granted the Football Association permission to talk to Roy Hodgson about the vacant England manager's position. FA Chairman David Bernstein said: "Roy is the only manager we have approached and we remain on course to make an appointment within the timescale we set out."

The FULL article.
    Roy Hodgson approached by FA over England manager's job
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17888928
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Certainly one of the most intelligent English managers of the modern era. He's done a decent job everywhere he's been, but never anything exceptional. I really don't know how he would do as England manager. His low-key approach might be the perfect foil against the arrogance and egos of some of the squad. His knowledge and awareness of overseas football is likely better than anyone else's in the running...but I just don't know if he'd be able to raise England above their current mediocrity.
    Certainly one of the most intelligent English managers of the modern era. He's done a decent job everywhere he's been, but never anything exceptional. I really don't know how he would do as England manager. His low-key approach might be the perfect foil against the arrogance and egos of some of the squad. His knowledge and awareness of overseas football is likely better than anyone else's in the running...but I just don't know if he'd be able to raise England above their current mediocrity.

Agreed. I will add that if Roy Hodgson does get the job he will be starting slightly on the back foot knowing that he is not the fans or the media's favourite. They will be less forgiving of him if the results do not come. As opposed to Harry Redknapp, who I believe would be given more time and leniency, a "honeymoon period."
    I can see the logic of it. They need someone who can do good with finite resources, as is the case with a national team. Harry was struggling this season until he bought in some new players (now he's struggling again of course) but you can't do that with England, you are stuck with what's on offer.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    If Harry Redknapp is disappointed that he was not approached by the FA for the England managers job he is not showing it. "I wish him (Hodgson) all the best. He's a great guy. I've got a great job here (at Spurs). I don't hold grudges."

The FULL article.
    Harry Redknapp wishes Roy Hodgson well for England role
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17893116
    Spurs fans must be absolutely over the moon!
    It is now official. Roy Hodgson has been appointed England manager on a four-year contract. This from the FA: "Hodgson has won a total of eight league titles in a distinguished career, and coached the national teams of Switzerland, Finland and the United Arab Emirates. Along with his vast experience of international and European football, Hodgson is the only English manager currently working in the top flight to have won the League Managers' Association Manager of the Year award."

The FULL article.
    Roy Hodgson appointed England manager by FA
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/17904713
    Congratulations to Manchester City on winning their first Premier League Title. And they won it in the most dramatic fashion by scoring twice in injury time to beat Queens Park Rangers 3-2. I think most people would agree that City were the best team in the league. They certainly finished in champion style by winning their last six matches. Having said that, Manchester United were eight points ahead with six matches to go, so it was their's to lose.

I am pleased and relieved for Manchester City and their fans who have lived under the shadow of their neighbours for so long. It would have been a crushing blow had they lost the title to United on the final day of the season. Is City now set to take over the mantle from United and dominate the Premier League in the years ahead?
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    Wow that was some finale, Fergie must have thought he had bagged another!! -{
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    They don't come much closer than that...well done to City...now they need to step up a level.
    YNWA 97
    One of the most exciting days of football that I can remember...but I think I'd be laid out on a cold slab right now if I was a City supporter! Absolutely riveting match with everything you could ever want...including the pantomime villain Joey Barton. Interesting how United won the Champions League with two late goals against Bayern Munich when it looked pretty much over, and now their cross-town rivals have done the same thing with the Premiership against QPR. I am also delighted that QPR managed to stay up: they played some really nice football this season and I would have been very sorry to have seen them drop. Now, to cap it all off my fingers are crossed that Alex McLeish gets the sack today or tomorrow...and that his next job is serving fries in McDonalds because with two Premier League relegations in three seasons at Birmingham City and then giving Villa one of the worst season's in the club's history - and their worst ever home record - and avoiding the drop by only two points on the penultimate weekend, the man should never be given another job in the Premier League unless it's cleaning the manure up after City's victory parade!
    I want Joey Barton to be in the England squad. I want my money's worth.

And I want Terry and Ferdinand to start every game together, and I want Wayne playing as a lone striker up front with bad service.

I want fireworks.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Now, to cap it all off my fingers are crossed that Alex McLeish gets the sack today or tomorrow...and that his next job is serving fries in McDonalds because with two Premier League relegations in three seasons at Birmingham City and then giving Villa one of the worst season's in the club's history - and their worst ever home record - and avoiding the drop by only two points on the penultimate weekend, the man should never be given another job in the Premier League unless it's cleaning the manure up after City's victory parade!

It looks like your wish is about to be granted, if it hasn't already. Apparently, Alex McLeish said his goodbye to the Aston Villa players this morning. However, I do suspect he will end up managing another Premier League club sometime in the near future. It's pretty much jobs for the boys these days.
  • zig zagzig zag EnglandPosts: 244MI6 Agent
    The jammy blue bastards, the dying min's of the match. I was sick to me stomach. By the way in case you had'nt guessed I'm a red. Hate city even more now :))
    "Yes,dammit,I said "was".The bitch is dead now."

"It's not difficult to get a double 0 number if your prepared to kill people"
    One of the most exciting days of football that I can remember...but I think I'd be laid out on a cold slab right now if I was a City supporter! Absolutely riveting match with everything you could ever want...including the pantomime villain Joey Barton. Interesting how United won the Champions League with two late goals against Bayern Munich when it looked pretty much over, and now their cross-town rivals have done the same thing with the Premiership against QPR. I am also delighted that QPR managed to stay up: they played some really nice football this season and I would have been very sorry to have seen them drop. Now, to cap it all off my fingers are crossed that Alex McLeish gets the sack today or tomorrow...and that his next job is serving fries in McDonalds because with two Premier League relegations in three seasons at Birmingham City and then giving Villa one of the worst season's in the club's history - and their worst ever home record - and avoiding the drop by only two points on the penultimate weekend, the man should never be given another job in the Premier League unless it's cleaning the manure up after City's victory parade!

You wish has indeed come true about McLeish....well, about getting the sack anyway ! I couldn't understand why he got the job in the first place :s But it seems very clear that Randy Lerner isn't prepared to invest any money in the club - and just seems to be asset stripping the squad too...dark days for all the Villa fans...

I wanted QPR to be relegated...Bolton is my home town team and I didn't want to see them drop...
    YNWA 97
    zig zag wrote:
    The jammy blue bastards, the dying min's of the match. I was sick to me stomach. By the way in case you had'nt guessed I'm a red. Hate city even more now :))

The best sight from the weekends games..?...the faces on the Manure fans faces when they heard that Aguero had scored the winner for City :)) I just can't get tired of watching that :)) Priceless -{
    YNWA 97