English Football (Soccer)

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent
    Defoe has returned home from the England camp, his father has died.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18352148

Makes football seem pretty trivial, of course.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Makes football seem pretty trivial, of course.

Football is trivial, but it makes a very nice distraction from real life, I find! That said, I can't say that I am being particularly distracted from my woes by the Euros this time around. The competition starts tomorrow and for the first time in my life, I don't really care! I haven't printed out a schedule, haven't joined any pools, haven't made any plans to watch matches with friends...haven't even bought the Panini book (okay...so haven't bought a Panini book since I was about 12 years old, but that's beside the point!). It's partly because England seem rather poor but largely because of the over-paid current crop of superstar footballers' on-field and off-field unsavoury antics, the constant ineptness of the FA and the moral bankruptcy of FIFA and UEFA (did Platini really say that any player who leaves the pitch because of racist chanting would be punished??!!!?!). It's a shame. I used to love the Euros and World Cup, but here we are at T minus 24 hours and I'm more excited by the prospect of grilling some hamburgers on Sunday evening!

That said, I'll probably be hooked by Saturday and buying the t-shirt on Monday!
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    Euro 2012 begins tomorrow. A reminder of the countries participating and the groups they are in. The top two from each group qualify for the quarter finals.

Group A
    Czech Republic
    Greece
    Poland
    Russia

Group B
    Denmark
    Germany
    Netherlands
    Portugal

Group C
    Croatia
    Italy
    Republic of Ireland
    Spain

Group D
    England
    France
    Sweden
    Ukraine

I will be supporting England and the Republic of Ireland. If either of them make the semi finals it should be regarded as a success. As for the winner? I guess Spain will start as favourite's but Germany can never be discounted.
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    Football is trivial, but it makes a very nice distraction from real life, I find! That said, I can't say that I am being particularly distracted from my woes by the Euros this time around. The competition starts tomorrow and for the first time in my life, I don't really care! I haven't printed out a schedule, haven't joined any pools, haven't made any plans to watch matches with friends...haven't even bought the Panini book (okay...so haven't bought a Panini book since I was about 12 years old, but that's beside the point!). It's partly because England seem rather poor but largely because of the over-paid current crop of superstar footballers' on-field and off-field unsavoury antics, the constant ineptness of the FA and the moral bankruptcy of FIFA and UEFA (did Platini really say that any player who leaves the pitch because of racist chanting would be punished??!!!?!). It's a shame. I used to love the Euros and World Cup, but here we are at T minus 24 hours and I'm more excited by the prospect of grilling some hamburgers on Sunday evening!

That said, I'll probably be hooked by Saturday and buying the t-shirt on Monday!

My exact thoughts completely summed up by yourself (even the hamburgers) :))

Think I will be more tuned into the rugby this weekend, I am slowly becoming alienated with football with regards to some of the points above. Hopefully some good games with attacking football will swing my interest
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    Moore Than wrote:
    Euro 2012 begins tomorrow. I will be supporting England and the Republic of Ireland. If either of them make the semi finals it should be regarded as a success.

A success? More like a miracle. :))

I doubt England will get out of the group stages, although it appears Ukraine has got hit by food poisoning in which has been said to be a possible act of sabotage.

You could feel sorry for Rio but it seems like he really just wanted the chance to snub the team and say he wasn't playing with JT. Not to mention his off the field activities which are really par for the course these days. Only Gerrard seems to have no form in this area, but he looks pretty miserable.

A very uncharismatic bunch, England players used to look like the lively working class lads at a wedding reception, now they're like the kind you get on a Riga stag do, and then trying to shag the bride behind your back.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Wouldn't surprise me if England do well in this campaign, everything seems low key, people expecting them to be knocked out early etc the expectation isn't there for once which is a good thing :)

Then again.... -{
  • thesecretagentthesecretagent CornwallPosts: 2,151MI6 Agent
    I'm not a football fan, not a supporter anyway. But I do watch England's games in European or World cups. It's not that I dont like or appreiciate it, but I never played it at school as we always played rugby, cricket or field hockey. There's no team near me in any worthy division, and besides, I'm Cornish - I'm hardly going to get behind Plymouth Argyle! But I look forward to England doing well this time round. -{
    Amazon #1 Bestselling Author. If you enjoy crime, espionage, action and fast-moving thrillers follow this link:

http://apbateman.com
    Moore Than wrote:
    Euro 2012 begins tomorrow. I will be supporting England and the Republic of Ireland. If either of them make the semi finals it should be regarded as a success.

Ye of little faith. :D

With all the bad omens surrounding England it would appear a miracle is required. But then if you think that both Denmark and Greece have won the Euro with unfancied teams a semi final appearance for England or the Republic of Ireland does not seem totally unrealistic.
    The only time I have ever bet on a football match was prior to the 2006 World Cup when I put a GBP100 bet on Italy to win it all. My reasoning? Because no one was even mentioning Italy's odds of success. No one. All the usual sides were being bandied around and of course, we'd already polished off the second gold star for our England shirts as we always do...but nary a squeak for Italy. So I plonked down GBP100 - which included a free genuine World Cup football shirt of my choice...which I was already going to pay GBP50 for any way - and didn't Italy go and win it all and I walked away GBP400 richer? So maybe England will surprise and win it all.

Nah. Next you'll be telling me that they'll cast a woman as M and a black guy as Felix!
  • Kissy SuzukiKissy Suzuki IrelandPosts: 66MI6 Agent
    Moore Than wrote:
    Moore Than wrote:

Ye of little faith. :D

With all the bad omens surrounding England it would appear a miracle is required. But then if you think that both Denmark and Greece have won the Euro with unfancied teams a semi final appearance for England or the Republic of Ireland does not seem totally unrealistic.

Whatever about England, Ireland won't be going anywhere, unfortunately. It's not even that unlikely that we won't even score a goal! Emerging from the group would be regarded by most fans as a major achievement.
    Oh my 45 mins gone and the ref has already turned the game on its head with a crazy sending off when the Polish guy clearly slipped :))
    Now against all expectations, that was an exciting match!

I have to say in favour of Sep Blatter's anti goalline technology stance, that yes, it's the injustices of the game that keep fans inflamed and generate talking points, admittedly in a 'treat them mean, keep them keen' kind of way. So my passion for the game as a neutral came alive with the unjust double yellow for the Greek player, who was sent off. Makes you wonder if Sep doesn't actually instruct the ref to carry out a few travesties just to get the blood going.

The goalie being sent off (fairly this time), and then the save! Fantastic drama. In that day or the previous, the Evening Standard had a page interview with the Polish goalie who plays for Arsenal, saying, hey we could go all the way to the final and win it! One game at a time, mate.

The Russia v Czech Republic game was fun too, though really all the goals so far remind me of how the England players really don't score those kind of exciting screamers. If any of our lot did, they'd be talked up to kingdom come. England are the worst of both worlds, no flair or wonderful goals, but they don't grind out results to go all the way either.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Ha - I started the game cheering on the Poles but after that harsh sending off wanted the Greeks to win.

Russia looked very good indeed
    Just watched the Germany v Portugal match. A pretty forgettable affair in which Germany just about deserved their 1-0 victory. Portugal were negative for the most part, only becoming an attacking threat in the last ten minutes. Holland's surprise defeat to Denmark earlier today means they will be the first big name exit of Euro 2012 if they lose their next match against Germany.
    Had a sinking feeling watching Ireland lose to Croatia, 3-1. Like watching England on a bad day, when the manager has run out of gas.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    It was pretty dull but England should be satisfied with the 1-1 draw against France. It was disciplined stuff and they put together some good passing movements. Younger players like Oxlade-Chamberlain and Welbeck performed well and did not look out of their depth. Ultimately, France seem more likely to go further in the tournament as they have a bit more class, but still a satisfactory start by England.
    Some rather dramatic news from north of the border today. It appears that Rangers are going into liquidation after HMRC rejected prospective owner Charles Green's bid to exit administration. Rangers will re-form as a new company but it will be up to the other eleven SPL clubs whether Rangers remain in the Premier or apply to the Scottish Football League and start again in the Third Division.

Rangers to re-form after creditors' deal is rejected
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18407309
    They'll immediately be rubber stamped back into the SPL by the other clubs because the Big Boys always look after each other. Yes, if Rangers dropped down to the third division there'd be less competition at the top and therefore a greater chance for success for the rest, but the other clubs won't look at it that way. They'll be thinking of their own lost gate revenue by not playing Rangers, and they'll be thinking "What if it happens to us next?" Now, if it was a smaller club in this predicament they'd let them rot...just like we've seen teams be denied promotion in the past by their SPL club mates because their stadium was deemed not big/fit enough for SPL!

And yes, I'm a raving cynic when it comes to most things footie-related these days!
    The likely outcome is that indeed Rangers will be rubber stamped back into the SPL by the other clubs. But surely they will have to be seen to be punished in order to deter other clubs from following the same path. A points deduction (minimum 25) and transfer embargo would seem very appropriate. If Rangers were rubber stamped back into the SPL without any real punishment it would be an absolute disgrace.
    Spot on, Moore Than. Permission to return and a 25 point penalty would be perfect for everyone: the other sides get the attendance and TV money from playing Rangers without having to actually challenge them for a top place!
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,579Chief of Staff
    Moore Than wrote:
    The likely outcome is that indeed Rangers will be rubber stamped back into the SPL by the other clubs. But surely they will have to be seen to be punished in order to deter other clubs from following the same path. A points deduction (minimum 25) and transfer embargo would seem very appropriate. If Rangers were rubber stamped back into the SPL without any real punishment it would be an absolute disgrace.

Glasgow Rangers already have a transfer embargo in place and they are banned from European competition for three years...I'm not sure how it will affect the 'new' club that will just take the name of Glasgow Rangers...and then there are the players...they will have to be 'transferred' to the new club - will they be on the same wages and bonus structure ? If they don't accept the new contract, can they just leave ? I wonder if they have looked at joining the English leagues again ? Especially if they deem the penalty of re-joining the Scottish league too harsh...or if they have to join the bottom league in Scottish football...

As said above...it will work it's way out eventually...they will be voted back into the SPL...and even with a 25 point penalty, they could still finish second !
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Moore Than wrote:

Glasgow Rangers already have a transfer embargo in place and they are banned from European competition for three years...I'm not sure how it will affect the 'new' club that will just take the name of Glasgow Rangers...and then there are the players...they will have to be 'transferred' to the new club - will they be on the same wages and bonus structure ? If they don't accept the new contract, can they just leave ? I wonder if they have looked at joining the English leagues again ? Especially if they deem the penalty of re-joining the Scottish league too harsh...or if they have to join the bottom league in Scottish football...

As said above...it will work it's way out eventually...they will be voted back into the SPL...and even with a 25 point penalty, they could still finish second !

As I understand it, the players are all 'transferred' to the new club with all their contracts and rights intact. If the new club is unable to honour their existing contracts the players have the right to seek a transfer.

I doubt very much the new Rangers would be looking towards England. There's too many obstacles that are unlikely to be overcome, certainly in the short term.
    Well! Harry's left Spurs. It's all about timing isn't it? Now he's free for the England job. Just imagine if France had beaten England 2-0. Imagine the hollering to get Harry in, only the FA had signed Roy up on a contract. That said, I don't think the FA were ever keen on Rednapp, but having to pay off Levy had supposedly been one stumbling block.

Also, Harry can't go to Liverpool really, they've got in someone. I suppose he could do a swap with whoever takes the Spurs job, they said it could be Everton's David Moyes. But do they really have anyone in mind at all? Oh, Morinho, but he's surely holding out for something more isn't he? How long can Arsene and Sir Alex go on for?

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    According to Harry Redknapp, his sacking was inevitable regardless of Champions League qualification or not. He believes the England speculation, a new contract, or him asking for too much had anything to do with it. This implies that the Tottenham board already had/have a successor in mind. Or it could be that relations between he and the Chairman Daniel Levy were such that he had to go.

It's difficult to see Tottenham improving on the position that Redknapp has left them in. Redknapp himself is keen to continue and it will surely not be long before he is back managing another Premier League club.
    Are you lot asleep? The game last night... :o

Fantastic stuff, the most exciting England game in a long time, perhaps THE most exciting in which they've actually won. After all, games against Germany and Argentina almost always ended in our defeat. Or if we beat Argentina, it was a drawn out, defensive game in which we bag one goal in a penalty and then defend it doggedly.

Sweden 2 England 3.

Of course, the difference is these days we don't now think we're going to win it, and I'm still not sure who we face next in the quarter finals if we win or come second in our group. I mean, I understand it may be Germany in which case, well, no one fancies our chances.... :#

One of the best things about the game is how goals came from three different players. When Rooney was on board, it was all about him, so he just got marked out of the game and no one else got a look in. That said, they say Rooney will be back in for the next one. It's not needed, yet maybe it is, to get him match fit for the follow up, to reward him for coming so far, to relax him a bit, maybe bag a goal, so he's not too raw if we get a game after that.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Of course, the difference is these days we don't now think we're going to win it, and I'm still not sure who we face next in the quarter finals if we win or come second in our group. I mean, I understand it may be Germany in which case, well, no one fancies our chances.... :#

If England qualify for the quarter finals they will face either Spain, Italy, or Croatia.

As for Sweden 2 England 3. The second half especially was quite dramatic and very entertaining. Ultimately, the difference was that England produced the quality with the first and third goals and had the pace of Theo Walcott. The worrying aspect from an England point of view was the way their defence went AWOL for the first twenty minutes of the second half. On the plus side, they had the resilience to fight back. And Roy Hodgson showed that he can change the course of a match by bringing on Theo Walcott.

Wayne Rooney will be back for the final group match against Ukraine. He will likely replace Andy Carroll and play with his Man U team mate Danny Welbeck up front.
    Well...

It's kind of important we top the group wouldn't you say? Spain.... :o :#

Not sure about Italy these days? Any info? Croatia are no pushovers, yet England has beaten them under Capello. Of course, we should just enjoy the moment.

Should Euro 2012 be expanded for, erm, Euro 2016, one can sort of see the point of it, as it's a bit much to face a top team like Spain so early on. The groups of death might get diluted too.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Well...

It's kind of important we top the group wouldn't you say? Spain.... :o :#

Not sure about Italy these days? Any info? Croatia are no pushovers, yet England has beaten them under Capello. Of course, we should just enjoy the moment.

Should Euro 2012 be expanded for, erm, Euro 2016, one can sort of see the point of it, as it's a bit much to face a top team like Spain so early on. The groups of death might get diluted too.

I am not sure about Italy myself. They easily qualified for Euro 2012 from their group and drew 1-1 with Spain the other day, so they have to be respected. I'd say it would be about 50/50 between them and England.

As I understand, they are expanding from 16 to 24 countries for Euro 2016. There will be six groups with four countries in each. The top two in each group plus the four best third placed countries qualify for the last 16 where the knockout stages begin. This makes the Euro more of a lottery. In theory a country finishing third in their group can go on and win the tournament. Personally, I'd much rather they kept things as they are now.
    When the England band had their trumpets taken away by the Ukrainean stasi, we were all meant to be full or ire. Not so:

http://www.facebook.com/pukkapiesenglandband/posts/10151190064773206

It's no laughing matter, I do think those awful, unsprightly dirges detract from England's play, it surely makes it harder for the likes of Theo or Welbeck to dart off on unpredictable hare-like runs when you've got that clanking racket in the background.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Andre Villas-Boas appears the current favourite to become Tottenham's new manager. Villas-Boas is understood to have privately expressed an interest in the post, according to the BBC. He may be interviewed later this week. Other potential candidates are French manager Laurent Blanc, Roberto Martinez, Fabio Capello, Jurgen Klinsmann, and David Moyes.

Tottenham Hotspur sound out Andre Villas-Boas
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18480662