English Football (Soccer)

Comments

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,579Chief of Staff
    Moore Than wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    I think Villa would be better off trying to get Solskjaer from Molde...

Ole Gunnar Solksjaer has pulled out of the running for the Aston Villa manager's job. He is apparently reluctant to uproot his family and wants to stay living in his home town and manage Molde.

From my point of view it would be good to see more young up and coming managers in the premiership bringing new energy and ideas rather than have the same old faces moving from club to club. It's a bit more of a gamble taking on a younger manager but the rewards could be greater.

Yes...the owner of his club Molde said he would withdraw funding to the club, and that would have led to the clud folding....nothing like a bit of blackmail to get your own way ! :))

New 'up and coming' managers are a risk....just ask fans of Bolton & Blackburn !
    YNWA 97
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Moore Than wrote:
    From my point of view it would be good to see more young up and coming managers in the premiership bringing new energy and ideas rather than have the same old faces moving from club to club. It's a bit more of a gamble taking on a younger manager but the rewards could be greater.

New 'up and coming' managers are a risk....just ask fans of Bolton & Blackburn !

You old cynic. :D

This might cheer you up. Apparently, Liverpool are making progress regards whether they stay at Anfield or move elsewhere. The problem with staying at Anfield relates to nearby homeowners "right to light" The problem with moving is the cost, likely in excess of £300 million. Perhaps they should ground share with Everton?......runs for cover.

Liverpool stadium: 'Progress' being made on Anfield future
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18174030
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
    Moore Than wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Moore Than wrote:

You old cynic. :D

Whom...Moi ? :))

I think Solskjaer would have liked the AV job....not much more he can do at Molde...and the money would be better :))

He would do a good job there.....with a young AV side....he coached the youngsters at Manure and did well....plus he could tell Fergie the Red Nosed B*stard which where the best players to take :v
    Moore Than wrote:
    This might cheer you up. Apparently, Liverpool are making progress regards whether they stay at Anfield or move elsewhere. The problem with staying at Anfield relates to nearby homeowners "right to light" The problem with moving is the cost, likely in excess of £300 million. Perhaps they should ground share with Everton?......runs for cover.

You can run...but you can't hide... :))

I'm not in favour of groundsharing....but it does work in Italy...

LFC have been discussing a naming option rights with Air China for 350m...not sure if thats $ or £ though...

A new stadium would take too long to work...it takes about 10 years for a new stadium to start producing the kind of money you need in todays football - it usually takes that long to pay off the cost of building...then you have to factor in the cost of 'lost' revenue...that's the revenue the stadium currently pulls in that you would lose whilst you wait for the new stadium to generate funds to that level....
    It makes more financial sense to re-develop Anfield....some houses have already flattened from behind the Centenary Stand....and a few other streets have either all, or part, of their houses empty...so some of it could be done pretty quickly...

So I can't see a new stadium being built....unless they find someone else to stump up all the money...

Still looks like AVB for Liverpool, from what I hear...but anything is possible yet !
    YNWA 97
  • Ens007Ens007 EnglandPosts: 863MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles ... Have you seen the twitter thread on our club forum? Few "tweets" (but without sources being quoted & they are apparently from Portugal ;) ) saying that AVB has been confirmed as boss on a 3 year deal. If true, I'm not sure how I feel, as pre-Chavski he was flavour of the month (the next Jose), yet his spell is now regarded as a complete & utter disaster. Who knows - the few months he had there might have taught him plenty.

Dearly hope that something is sorted ASAP regarding either the redevelopment or the new stadium as we need this to start building a new foundation for the club. The revenues we are missing out on are colossal and this of course will be crucial in the financial fair play stakes.
    Ens007 wrote:
    Sir Miles ... Have you seen the twitter thread on our club forum? Few "tweets" (but without sources being quoted & they are apparently from Portugal ;) ) saying that AVB has been confirmed as boss on a 3 year deal. If true, I'm not sure how I feel, as pre-Chavski he was flavour of the month (the next Jose), yet his spell is now regarded as a complete & utter disaster. Who knows - the few months he had there might have taught him plenty.

Dearly hope that something is sorted ASAP regarding either the redevelopment or the new stadium as we need this to start building a new foundation for the club. The revenues we are missing out on are colossal and this of course will be crucial in the financial fair play stakes.

I haven't read those tweets...but I'm lead to believe that anything coming from the media in Portugal is all BS !
    Yes...AVB's stock is low at the moment...but he was given a brief to follow at Chelsea....to get rid of the old guard...that wouldn't be the case with us...I think he could be the best of a poor bunch...I'd rather have Kenny back though...

Our match day revenues are poor compared to some clubs...but it would take YEARS to catch those clubs up if we build a new ground...Arsenal did it the quick way because they built property on Highbury and they got the money from those sales...we wouldn't be able to do that...so you are looking at ten years to break even....that ten years making no money from match days at all !
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    You can run...but you can't hide... :))

Still looks like AVB for Liverpool, from what I hear...but anything is possible yet !

Since I can't hide I am wearing a tin hat for protection. {:)

It looks like AVB is going elsewhere. Liverpool have apparently cooled their interest, and have offered Louis Van Gaal the role of Sporting Director. It's been suggested that Villas-Boas knows that a second failed stint in English football would cause irreparable damage to his career at the highest level. AVB's agent has not ruled out a move to Liverpool.

Liverpool owners cool their interest in Andre Villas Boas
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/football/2012/may/23/liverpool-andre-villas-boas?newsfeed=true
    Skysports reporting that Martinez is going to meet with FSG to discuss the role. Having heard the numerous reports today that we've seriously cooled our interest in AVB (maybe a bluff?!), I'm going to stick my neck out and say that Martinez will be offered the job. There's been too much in the press linking him to the job for there to be no true substance behind it. Plenty of fans wanting Rafa to be considered, but I can't see this happening.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    Ens007 wrote:
    Skysports reporting that Martinez is going to meet with FSG to discuss the role. Having heard the numerous reports today that we've seriously cooled our interest in AVB (maybe a bluff?!), I'm going to stick my neck out and say that Martinez will be offered the job. There's been too much in the press linking him to the job for there to be no true substance behind it. Plenty of fans wanting Rafa to be considered, but I can't see this happening.

Yup I think he is a dead cert - bit of a risk in my opinion under current circumstances
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    breaking news:

Here is the latest video from the Training Camp of the italian team:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa-Lujvjw-Y
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    According to the BBC, Swansea manager Brendan Rodgers is expected to be confirmed as the new Liverpool manager in the next 48 hours. Roberto Martinez was due to meet Liverpool's owners for a second time but it did not happen. It appears Rodgers will be in sole control. Louis Van Gaal (or anyone else) will not be appointed Sporting Director as earlier reports suggested.

If true, this is a real gamble. Rodgers record as manager to date is hardly spectacular, though he did guide Swansea to promotion last year and they easily avoided relegation from the Premier League this year.

In the end, is this the only way Liverpool's owners could go? They were not prepared to stick with experienced managers like Roy Hodgson and Kenny Dalglish. Now they are highly unlikely to attract the very best managers without Champions League football, thus leaving themselves the only option available by going for a young and upcoming manager.
    Moore Than wrote:
    According to the BBC, Swansea manager Brendan Rodgers is expected to be confirmed as the new Liverpool manager in the next 48 hours. Roberto Martinez was due to meet Liverpool's owners for a second time but it did not happen. It appears Rodgers will be in sole control. Louis Van Gaal (or anyone else) will not be appointed Sporting Director as earlier reports suggested.

If true, this is a real gamble. Rodgers record as manager to date is hardly spectacular, though he did guide Swansea to promotion last year and they easily avoided relegation from the Premier League this year.

In the end, is this the only way Liverpool's owners could go? They were not prepared to stick with experienced managers like Roy Hodgson and Kenny Dalglish. Now they are highly unlikely to attract the very best managers without Champions League football, thus leaving themselves the only option available by going for a young and upcoming manager.

Mmmm...this rumour has been doing the rounds for a week now...as yet, no one has confirmed that Rodgers has even spoken to Liverpool whilst Martinez flew back into Manchester yesterday for his third meeting with the LFC owners...

Van Gaal has worked with Rodgers before (as has Steve Clarke)....so I wouldn't discount LVG just yet...at some point LFC need to appoint a Sporting Director (or whatever the are calling the job this week 8-) )....a few names have been mentioned....but none as strong as LVG...and LFC have said all along that they only wanted to employ a young manager...

I'm not convinced by either Martinez or Rodgers....but whom really knows...?...all I know is at the first sign of trouble the Kop will call for Kenny back... -{

I wouldn't exepect anything official announced until Friday at the earliest....thats when LFC's new shirt sponsorship deal with Warrior kicks in....
    YNWA 97
    BBC now seems certain its 100% and have further details.

Well in my opinion by this seasons results and budgets, Rodgers is a better candidate then Martinez. However we have gone for a very "unknown" bloke here hence this is a huge risk. With this seasons position and with the aim to get back into Europe I really thought an old hat would have been the safest bet (even Rafa)

I suppose fans have to support Rodgers, his teams play exciting attacking football and he has got Swansea into a crazy position in his first top flight season without spending a penny in comparison. Hell they took 4 points off Liverpool

I can't see results being worse anyhow.
    welshboy78 wrote:
    BBC now seems certain its 100% and have further details.

Well in my opinion by this seasons results and budgets, Rodgers is a better candidate then Martinez. However we have gone for a very "unknown" bloke here hence this is a huge risk. With this seasons position and with the aim to get back into Europe I really thought an old hat would have been the safest bet (even Rafa)

I suppose fans have to support Rodgers, his teams play exciting attacking football and he has got Swansea into a crazy position in his first top flight season without spending a penny in comparison. Hell they took 4 points off Liverpool

I can't see results being worse anyhow.

It's said to be a three year deal with Swansea getting £3-4m compensation...of course everyone is now saying that he was their first choice 8-)

I've been told that Rafa asked them about the job...but was politely told 'nothing doing'....

Everything is a gamble in football....if he bombs, everyone will say "I told you so, too inexperienced"...and if he does well they will say "great choice, I knew he could do it" :))

Rodgers will be a good pick for the owners of LFC - as they will not spend much this time out and he will accept that...

LFC were a lot closer to the top 4 than the league table stated....with a bit of good luck in a few games, we would have been very close...it will be interesting to see what Rodgers brings to the table - provided he does get the job !
    YNWA 97
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent
    England blowing up on the launch pad.

Frank has an injury, we'll see if he can play tomorrow.

Our goalie number 3 broke his finger in training, after all that hype about how it was an honour to be selected...

And Gareth Barry out.

Oh, plus Wayne's hair transplant seems to be waving goodbye, as seen in his dour meet the press golf shindig today. So he's gonna be in a real good mood when he gets up and running....
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I think Rodgers is a good hiring for Liverpool. Swansea were great last season. Played some lovely football and got some great results. I do realise that newly promoted teams often do well in their first season up partly because they are either underestimated or unknown...but Swansea were better than that. When looking for a new manager you can either go for a flashy, expensive foreign manager with no Premiership experience, a tried-and-true Premiership success story (not many of those available right now...until you have George Graham's telephone number!), or take a gamble on an up-and coming prospect. None are guarantees at all. Liverpool couldn't have attracted a Guardiola without Champions League and couldn't have afforded a Capello. Rodgers is by far the best young prospect - well ahead of Lambert or Martinez in my opinion, so I think this is a great move by Liverpool.

And as for Martinez...why does everyone rave about him so much? I know his time at Swansea was good (narrowly missed the League One Play-offs in 2007, League One champions in 2008, and finished 8th in the Championship in 2009) but I haven't seen much at Wigan in three seasons to think that he's the next Ferguson or Guardiola as many like to suggest. I know Wigan don't have a ton of money or a great selection of players, but under Steve Bruce they finished 11th in 2009 while under Martinez they've finished 16th in 2010 and 2011 and 15th in 2012. I have nothing against him I just wonder if he's so highly touted because he's so highly touted!
    I see on the news today that wages in the Premiership for last season has nearly reached £1.6 BILLION!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Crazy stuff huh
    I think more interesting about the LFC scenario is that FSG have not accepted Steve Clarkes resignation. Steve worked with Rodgers at Chelsea of course during the Mourinho years
    I am pretty shocked (but in a good way) that Rodgers appears to have got the gig as I was certain that Martinez had landed the job. Rodgers is a very well respected coach (Mourinho regards him extremely highly) and he has spent considerable time studying his trade across Europe. As Welshboy pointed out, he's already worked with Steve Clarke, so this could be a very strong team.

There seems to be good feeling over on the LFC site about his appointment and I just hope that he's afforded time by the owners, fans & players alike to get the club shaped how he wants it. Swansea played some cracking stuff last season & if he can get us on that wavelength then I'd be very happy.
    Brendan Rodgers has now been officially confirmed as the new Liverpool manager. From my own point of view it's great to see a young up and coming manager at a top club like Liverpool, I really hope he succeeds. Rodgers talked about it being long term. The words long term and manager very rarely go together these days I'm afraid. He also said he was proud and would fight for his life to bring success. Hopefully, his experience under Jose Mourinho at Chelsea will help him. Mourinho is said to be very happy with his appointment.
    Will be interesting to see how much dosh he will get to spend this summer!
    welshboy78 wrote:
    I think more interesting about the LFC scenario is that FSG have not accepted Steve Clarkes resignation. Steve worked with Rodgers at Chelsea of course during the Mourinho years

No they didn't accept his resignation - they sacked him instead !!!

Rodgers is a HUGE gamble....if he gets it right, then everybody wins...if he gets it wrong...it's a heck of a long way back for LFC and it will take DECADES or billions to put the club back on track....apparently he's been given £25m to spend (which is peanuts as Chelsea look to spend nearly £80m on three players)....and has been told to slash the wage bill considerably...

Other rumours....Mohammed Diame to sign on a free soon....Anfield to be redeveloped with the naming rights sold to Air China for £350m...

As for Martinez...?...I think Dave Whelan played a great game by using social media to scupper Martinez's chances of getting the job....Martinez had three seperate meetings with the LFC owners, Rodgers had two....
    Martinez is a good manager...it takes skill, tactical knowledge and luck to keep a club of Wigan's size in the Premier League....Bruce managed 11th spot before the EPL really took off and the VERY silly money started to fly about - Bruce has bombed everywhere else he has been...he took a bigger club (Birmingham) down and was poor at Sunderland - they sacked him before he got them relegated too....Martinez will get a chance at a bigger club....he should have gone for the Villa job this time....
    YNWA 97
    Looks like they kept Clarke in the dark until manager was put in place and consulted if they wanted him, thought he might have stayed with the Chelsea connection.

Ha - Whelan has been getting loads of stick for gobbing off but I agree he was stirring things to protect his club.
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Ha - Whelan has been getting loads of stick for gobbing off but I agree he was stirring things to protect his club.

Steven Gerrard is certainly not impressed with Dave Whelan. According to him Brendan Rodgers was always first choice, so take no notice of Whelan. Gerrard says he is excited at the prospect of working with his new manager. It is now vital for Rodgers that he quickly gains the confidence of the Liverpool players and Gerrard's public comments are an important first step.
    Rodgers is by far the best young prospect - well ahead of Lambert or Martinez in my opinion, so I think this is a great move by Liverpool.

Hopefully, you have a high enough regard for Paul Lambert because he is now the new manager of Aston Villa. He certainly did a great job at Norwich guiding them to successive promotions, and they finished above Villa this year. It could be argued that this is more of a gamble for Lambert than it is for Villa.
    Moore Than wrote:
    Rodgers is by far the best young prospect - well ahead of Lambert or Martinez in my opinion, so I think this is a great move by Liverpool.

Hopefully, you have a high enough regard for Paul Lambert because he is now the new manager of Aston Villa. He certainly did a great job at Norwich guiding them to successive promotions, and they finished above Villa this year. It could be argued that this is more of a gamble for Lambert than it is for Villa.

Well we see this quite often e.g. promotion to the premiership, ditches club for "bigger club" despite being higher in the league, next season sacked, manager fades into obscurity etc

Then again nowadays, sacking makes a Prem manager many millions overnight and then they walk into a new job the next day. AVB must be laughing all the way to the bank
    England grind out a 1-0 win over Belgium.

I suppose it's no surprise that the Premiership transfer market is more exciting than any England game, it's been that way a long while.

Once again Rooney is talked up by the commentators, but I can't see he did much in the second half.

Dull first half mostly aside from the goal by Welbeck, but a win is a win and at least they didn't spend the last 20 minutes just defending as England so often do.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Brendan Rodgers has some very good ideas on how football should be played...it will be interesting to see if he can get the Liverpool players to buy into his thinking...he's already spoken to the scouting department about possible new signings and wants to speak to both Cole and Aquilani about their futures - Aqualini just can't settle in England so I expect a cut price deal to be done with some Italian team...

Liverpool Football Club is 120 years old today -{
    YNWA 97
    Cahill out of England squad, broken jaw after awful fowl by Belgian player, shoved viciously into Joe Hart. Kelly of Liverpool replacing him - who he? Sir Miles, can you enlighten us?

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Martin Kelly is a surprise. Roy Hodgson is probably looking more to the future than the present. I am surprised at the absence of Micah Richards. Rumour has it that he refused to be put on stand by. More fool him if that is the case.
    Cahill out of England squad, broken jaw after awful fowl by Belgian player, shoved viciously into Joe Hart. Kelly of Liverpool replacing him - who he? Sir Miles, can you enlighten us?

Kelly is a player I have watched closely for the last three seasons...

No doubt he is a real talent...better at centre half than full back though, IMHO....he is a solid defender who is also good at going forward...has a good turn of speed...can cross a ball...good passer....can dribble a bit with it too - but not as well as Johnson does...defends better than Johnson, although prone to getting caught out of position once or twice a game - I put that down to him really being a centre half though....also very good in the air...

I'd rather have Kelly at right back for Liverpool than Johnson - I'd actually play Johnson as a winger...

I'm a little surprised that Kelly has been drafted in...I would have picked Micah Richards personally....maybe even Ferdinand - if he and Terry could agree to play together...

That's 6 players from Liverpool in the England squad now.....looks like the LFC pre-season tour starts June 11th ;) :))

As an extra....I see Kuyt has left Liverpool...he exercised the £1m transfer clause in his contract and has signed for Fenerbahce....Kuyt always gave his all in a red shirt, but wasn't quite the player we hoped he was when we signed him...good luck Dirk -{
    YNWA 97