English Football (Soccer)

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent
    I wonde if ol' Harry Redknapp might be in the frame? After all, he doesn't have that great a relationship with his bosses and his contract is up for renewal. You could argue L'pool have more heritage and history than Spurs, and the owners may have more money to spend (not sure on that last point after blowing £100m on duff playes admittedly).
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Ens007Ens007 EnglandPosts: 863MI6 Agent
    I wonde if ol' Harry Redknapp might be in the frame? After all, he doesn't have that great a relationship with his bosses and his contract is up for renewal. You could argue L'pool have more heritage and history than Spurs, and the owners may have more money to spend (not sure on that last point after blowing £100m on duff playes admittedly).

Ol' Arry is too much of a wheeler-dealer for our powers that be me thinks. I like Arry & wish he'd got the England job tbh as I think he'd do a cracking job for England.

Not so sure that Kenny wasted £100M, as £50M of that was financed when the Judas jumped ship over to the plastic flag waving chavs ... We got in Suarez who is a quality, quality footballer and and Enrique had a fairly decent season (save for the last few games). I think the likes of Carroll, Henderson & Coates will prove to be very strong players for the club given some time. The jury is still out on Adam as he flitted in & out of matches and seemed to lack the confidence that he showed for Blackpool during the previous season - big fish syndrome maybe?? Downing had a poor season - no question - which surprised me as I really though that he'd prove to be a good buy. There will be a lot of pressure on him to perform next season for sure.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,573Chief of Staff

No. Definately not Harry. Good manager though he is, he has his hands full at Spurs - and he doesn't fit the FSG idea of the next manager.

I has been noted that FSG were trying to put everything in place and were hoping for a better end to the season because they wanted to sell Liverpool FC....it has been rumoured that they have been actively seeking a new buyer for the past few months...what is unclear is were they after someone to buy a part share of the club, or all of it ?

More rumours about AVB are surfacing....but it's believed he has agreed to take over at Roma, so he could be a non-starter...

Getting rid of Dalglish has set the club back two years, and they were already two years away from a top four position ! This decision makes no sense at all....unless FSG have a new manager lined up to take over...and it appears they don't... :s
    YNWA 97
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    Dave Whelan has just confirmed Liverpool telephoned him to ask permission to speak to Martinez!
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    I know this has turned into a Liverpool thread, so apologies...

I just wanted to say that I have been following sports intently for over 40 years, and Sunday's Man City drama is easily among the top five sporting moments I have ever seen live (television of course - I was not at the Etihad). I have been watching Martin Tyler's commentary on endless loop practically ever since - four days on, and I still have goosebumps. And this from a person with no dog in the fight (Newcastle supporter). When my fellow Americans ask me why I watch so much European football, I tell them that there is nothing like the EPL. Now I have indisputable proof. AgueroOOOOOOOOOOH!!!

That's all. Carry on with As The Kop Turns. :)
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • Moore ThanMoore Than EnglandPosts: 3,173MI6 Agent
    A bold move by Aston Villa, if true. They are in talks with Ole Gunnar Solskjaer about taking over as their new manager. After retiring as a player in 2008 Solksjaer was in charge of Manchester United's reserve team for two years before becoming manager at Norwegian club Molde who he led to their first ever title.

Ole Gunnar Solksjaer 'in talks' with Aston Villa owner
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18116353
    Moore Not Less 4371 posts (2002 - 2007) Moore Than (2012 - 2016)
    It was inevitable, it was written, it was destiny. Why didn't I bet on it? X-( :D

Chelsea were never going to do it the easy way. Roman Abramovich's dream of winning the Champions League has come true, ironically with probably the weakest Chelsea squad in the last eight years. Perhaps it was appropriate that Didier Drogba scored the winning penalty. He's been a controversial figure at times but what a player, what a servant he has been to Chelsea over the years. Will Roberto Di Matteo now stay as manager? He deserves to stay but I will not be surprised if he leaves.

7229949982_280e9a5699.jpg
    Moore Than wrote:
    It was inevitable, it was written, it was destiny.

Sometimes it just happens that way, doesn't it ? Chelsea were very poor and it was only the terrible finishing of Bayern that gave them a chance....

I notice that bondtoys is, once again, very quiet on an English team beating a German team - and on penalties too :))

Back to..."As The Kop Turns..."....

FSG have been in talks with Air China...the rumours about the talks range from an all out sell to a stadium naming rights issue - £350m for the latter...

They have pretty much ruled out a return for Rafa Benetiz...but talks with AVB are on going...and they plan to meet to discuss the post with him this week - he's a serious candidate...as is Michael Laudrup, but he's more of a back-up plan I understand...and De Boer could be approached too...

I wouldn't mind Capello getting the job with Carragher working alongside him....

It's all a bit of a mess though....I think the diehard Liverpool fans are waiting to see whom is appointed...and if he's not seen to be up to the job, there will be a huge backlash against the owners...and calls for Dalglish to be re-instated....and as all this happens, any future signings we were looking at will be signed by other clubs, putting us even further behind :#
    YNWA 97
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Well, I could say a lot.

As for an english team: Which team is playing Drogba for nationally?
    And Petr Cech - to me the best goalkeeper in the world!?
    And Chelsea playing the ugliest Cantenaccio against Barcelona and Munich? That is chickenfeet football at best! Not even Greece is playing like this anymore!

My congrats go to Chelsea and my pals in the UK. My emotions are with Munich, they have been the far better team and played by far the nicer match.
    The way the victory has been achievedwould not make me proud and loud :D

But at the end of the day, you have to benefit from your chances and Munich didn't. The result counts and I am sure, that it'll be a huge motivation for our boys for the european championship. Won't happen again!
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Well, I could say a lot.

As for an english team: Which team is playing Drogba for nationally?
    And Petr Cech - to me the best goalkeeper in the world!?
    And Chelsea playing the ugliest Cantenaccio against Barcelona and Munich? That is chickenfeet football at best! Not even Greece is playing like this anymore!

My congrats go to Chelsea and my pals in the UK. My emotions are with Munich, they have been the far better team and played by far the nicer match.
    The way the victory has been achievedwould not make me proud and loud :D

But at the end of the day, you have to benefit from your chances and Munich didn't. The result counts and I am sure, that it'll be a huge motivation for our boys for the european championship. Won't happen again!

I'm sorry Markus, I forgot that ALL the Bayern team come from Germany.... 8-) Robben, Ribery, etc... ;)

Petr Cech is a very good goalkeeper...he's ONE of the best in the world...not the best though, for my money anyway...

I hadn't heard of the word Cantenaccio before and had to look it up....I didn't realise that defending was against the rules now :s Even the best teams in the world have to defend every now and then ;) And PLEASE lets remember that Bayern were playing at HOME....that's a HUGE advantage to have....and really shouldn't be allowed...

Markus.....winning is EVERYTHING...as long as you do it legally...second is NOWHERE....

The trophy will only have the winners name on it...not how they played...and that's all that will be remembered...

It's the third time the Cup has been played for in Munich...and the third time a new name has gone on the trophy...

And for the record...I actually wanted Bayern to win...even though that would have meant they would have pulled level with my team for European Cup/Champions League wins...I've admired Bayern for about 30 years now, they have had some of the worlds best players play for them down the years....and they have some great players now too...Schweinsteiger is a colossus, pity he wasn't 100% fit....
    YNWA 97
    Well, I was waiting that the Chelsea team busdriver would drive into the stadium and block the goal additionally :))

Cantenaccio is a thing of the 80s and has nothing to do with modern football or any kind of confidence in yourself.

However that you as a Brit are defending a totally destructive approach to a match surprises me a bit. Chelsea did not deserve the victories over Barcelona and Munich and the 'rule' lasts: Brits can't win over Germany in penalty shootouts and in tthe case of yesterday, it where non-brits who did turn that match.

Bondtoys wrote:
    Well, I was waiting that the Chelsea team busdriver would drive into the stadium and block the goal additionally :))

Cantenaccio is a thing of the 80s and has nothing to do with modern football or any kind of confidence in yourself.

However that you as a Brit are defending a totally destructive approach to a match surprises me a bit. Chelsea did not deserve the victories over Barcelona and Munich and the 'rule' lasts: Brits can't win over Germany in penalty shootouts and in tthe case of yesterday, it where non-brits who did turn that match.

The bus driver wasn't needed because the Bayern team couldn't hit a donkeys arse with a banjo :))

And someone needs to tell Robben that football is a team game ;)

As I said Markus....winning is everything....doesn't matter how you it (legally though)...the history books don't recall how you play....

Why didn't Chelsea deserve their victories...?...they beat a Barcelona team (described as the best club side ever) with only ten men and coming from two goals down....that's pretty impressive...

I take it the non-Brits for Chelsea were more effective than the non-Germans of Bayern then :p
    YNWA 97
    I can agree on the donkey's thing Sir Miles.

Besides of this, it seems, that we have seen different matches.
    I recall several scenes, where Robben and Ribery better tried their luck and try to get the goal, istead they tried to pass the ball to Gomes or someone else.
    I wish, that they would have been a bit more selfish.

I disagree on the "only the result counts" thing.
    I'd rather loose a match with pride than playing such an uncreative, old-fashioned and chickenish match and win the cup.
    But that's me :p

Bondtoys wrote:
    I can agree on the donkey's thing Sir Miles.

Besides of this, it seems, that we have seen different matches.
    I recall several scenes, where Robben and Ribery better tried their luck and try to get the goal, istead they tried to pass the ball to Gomes or someone else.
    I wish, that they would have been a bit more selfish.

I disagree on the "only the result counts" thing.
    I'd rather loose a match with pride than playing such an uncreative, old-fashioned and chickenish match and win the cup.
    But that's me :p

Nah...Robben tried to win the game on his own....he was trying to prove to Chelsea that he was right to leave them....he should have passed a bit more....and Bayern should have either replaced Gomes or put another striker on...

As for 'destructive football' what did Bayern do when they scored ? They took the goal scorer off - an attacking player - and replaced him with a defensive player....hardly trying to win the 'beautiful way' is it...?...definitely playing the 'chicken' way...and no 'pride' in doing that either...and they STILL lost ! So Bayern, no pride and no cup ;)
    YNWA 97
    edited May 2012
    Well Sir Miles, you love to be right - as much as I do :D

Problem with Munich is, that they have only 1 real striker: Gomez!
    Olic is a good man but if he tries to get over the center, his physics are very limited.

I don't agree on Robbens motivation. He tends to be selfish , agreed but I could not see too much of it in the match. And he wanted to win the cup - for himself and the team - all the Chelsea thing has plaid a minor role - if any.

And can see a difference between building 2 brick walls around the own goal for 90 minutes and trying to keep a result for the remaining 8 minutes after being absolutely dominant for the previous 82 minutes - but maybe you guys count differently 8-)

Additionally: Penalty shootout in a final always is a gamble. Everything can happen and to blame the more unlucky one with 'no cup no pride' sound a bit not-fair to me - particularly after considering the match how it has develloped 8-)

Bondtoys wrote:
    Well Sir Miles, you love to be right - as much as I do :D

It's not a question of being right or wrong...we all have our opinions...and each opinion is just as valid...

I've watched Robben for years...he is a greedy player...that's why both Chelsea and Real Madrid let him move on....he's a great player when on form....but very frustrating...you ask Ribery ;) :D
    Against Chelsea - as against Real - I saw a player that was only out to 'prove' that those teams lost a great player when he left...no doubt he wanted to win the match...but he wanted to win it singlehandedly, IMO....even my 10 year old asked why Robben wouldn't pass and always tried to shoot....from the mouths of babes... ;)

I'm shocked that Bayern only have Gomes as a striker....he couldn't get a game at the start of last season (in fact he wasn't even given a squad number and Liverpool enquired about buying him)...so just whom did they have to keep him out..?..

Defending is a great skill too, Markus...it would have been too easy for Chelsea to have gone 'gung-ho' at Bayern - then they would have been ripped apart...Chelsea had a game plan...it worked...and Bayern, in front of their own fans don't forget, couldn't break down a much weakened Chelsea defence...and it's no good being dominant with the ball if you do nothing with it ;) Bayern were very lucky with their goal too...the guy did his best to miss...he actually closes his eyes :)) that's why he mis-heads it into the ground 8-) he was just lucky the ball bounced over Cech and into the net :))

Penalty shootouts are a gamble (unless you are Liverpool ;) )....thats why Bayern should have put a bit more effort in when they had the ball, instead of trying to score from 25-30 yards out !

Like I said, I wanted Bayern to win...I just can't believe they didn't take a weakened Chelsea apart - even more so as they were at home...you can't rely on the Germans anymore :p :))
    YNWA 97
    Well, Sir miles, like I tried to point out, it where the non UK players who where more lucky and a bit better than the players from Munich. I draw the line here - the rule is still valid :D

You don't seem to follow much of german football. Gomez was the most expensive german transfer ever, 2010/11 he was top scorer in the Bundesliga with 28 goals, 2011/12 he was second with 26.

[url]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario_Gómez[/url]

However I agree, that he could do much more out of all his chances. Ribery, Robben and Lahm gave him great assists recently.
    As for Robben's selfishness, I agree when you generally look into his past and he recently had problems in Munich about this.

BUT: I did not see it in the final! I wish, that he, Ribery and Gomez would have been a bit more selfish instead of looking for the teammate in a better position.

Every team has non-nationals...it's just a fact of life, and football....

I do follow German football a little...and Gomes wasn't given a squad number at the start of last season (if we are still counting the season just ended as this season :s )...Liverpool asked about taking him on loan or buying him...we were quoted about 30 million Euros to buy him...then something happened at Bayern and he was given a squad number and went on to be the leading scorer for that season ;) You can check that out, Markus...then come back and tell me I'm right :D

Robben and Ribery ended up fighting each other towards the end of this season, Ribery sported a black eye and Robben was punished for this, but Ribery wanted stronger action taken....see - I do follow German football a little :v

I thought Ribery could have been more selfish and Gomes just needed to shoot when given the chances instead of doing a great impression of a rabbit caught in the headlights :))

Robben though ? Greedy b@stard !!
    YNWA 97
    not sure about the squad number, but selling Gomez was probably part of the negotiations for extending his contract (or salary).

As you following football: I don't count reading the headlines of the SUN into that category ;)

Yes, Robben hit Ribery and was punished, Ribery wanted more and did not get it.
    Both know their merits and places - problem solved.

Munich's coach may have better emotional intelligence than the guy in London or in Madrid, the CEOs of Munich definitely know their business better as they have closed all past seasons with a profit and did not need a financial injection after a huge minus like Chelsea needed in the past years. Not to Abra's extra contributions for transfers and salaries. Similar thing in Madrid. In regards of debts, they even outperform Greece :D

Gomes wasn't given a squad number last season and Liverpool did ask to take him...that is all true...he fell out of favour with the manager and (I think) it was down to either and injury crisis or fan/board pressure as to how he got to play again...

Please don't ever mention THAT rag again X-( if you knew football - and Liverpool - you would know why...

I'm not sure the problem is solved between Ribery and Robben...but there seems to be an uneasy truce at the moment...

No doubt that Bayern are better at balancing their books than any English team....the state of English football depends on one thing only..... SKY TV !!

Well....apart from Man City that have the Abu Dhabi ruling familys estimated $1 trillion behind them !!

One great thing from the Champions League final...the sight of Michel Platini giving Terry and Lampard the Cup through gritted teeth :)) Platini HATES English football, that's why he's trying to change the financial rules...but only AFTER the French teams have been given government money to rebuild their stadia !! He's a bloody hypocrite X-(
    YNWA 97
    :D well I can't blame Platini for hating people building up 2 human walls around their goal and only hope for a lucky punch :D

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    The biggest winner was Roberto Di Matteo - a class player, and a classy manager. Now we really see if Abramovich has any class at all! Abramovich must have been salivating at the thought of possibly hiring Guardiola...and now Di Matteo has put a spanner in the works after winning the cup that Abramovoch wanted most of all and that a string of the highest-paid and most highly-touted managers in the world combined with Chelsea's billions couldn't win. Of course, the permanent job has to be his after delivering a remarkable turnaround to a Chelsea side that was struggling horribly, but will Roman be satisfied with promoting an assistant-coach who's never managed a big side...or will he cast his tremendous acheivement aside and go for another high-priced big name? As a Villa suporter, I can only hope that Roman doesn't do the right thing...and that Villa can hire Di Matteo!
    Roman is the Simon Cowell of football, isn't he?

I mean, he's into the glory/money but doesn't seem to actually like it much... If someone threatens to do well, he has to get rid of them.

I suppose, in fairness, he'd like to head up a team like Barcelona or Bayern Munich, with flair and passion that actually wins things. He'll keep going for a manager who can bring that about.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Ens007 wrote:

Ol' Arry is too much of a wheeler-dealer for our powers that be me thinks. I like Arry & wish he'd got the England job tbh as I think he'd do a cracking job for England.

Well! Just call me Cassandra!

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/football/spurs-boss-harry-redknapp-is-shock-target-for-liverpool-7778124.html

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Ens007Ens007 EnglandPosts: 863MI6 Agent

Evening Cassie!! :))

Seriously can't see this happening tbh. Think it's just a way for the London press to sell a few copies as FSG seem to be taking their time. The LFC forums have pretty much rubbished it, but I guess in the crazy world of football we should never say never. I'd still wager that Martinez will probably go further in the shake up than 'Arry.
    Ens007 wrote:

Well! Just call me Cassandra!

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/sport/football/spurs-boss-harry-redknapp-is-shock-target-for-liverpool-7778124.html

Well, Cassandra. I don't think 'arry would manage Liverpool. He's settled on the south coast, he's managing a better team, he's settled at Tottenham and is popular with the fans there, and he is not getting any younger. Money usually talks, but not this time me thinks...... That probably guarantees Harry Redknapp will be the next manager of Liverpool.

:)) Not a chance ! :))

Quite apart from the fact that Harry wouldn't want the job as he's doing rather well at Spurs (although he has got his work cut out for next season - expect some big name departures) he just doesn't fit the profile that FSG are looking for - then remember that Daniel Levy likes a big fat compensation check too ! :D

It does look like Martinez may get the job by default at this rate though...FSG still want to talk to AVB and they may talk to Capello as well....Capello has only really come on their radar because of the apathy of LFC fans towards Martinez...

I'm not sure how Di Matteo would do at Aston Villa...he did a good job at WBA and before that at MKDons...although did get the sack from WBA....Chelsea are an easy team to coach, once the plan Roman had to regenerate the team was abandoned...even Avram Grant got them to a Champions League final 8-) I think Villa would be better off trying to get Solskjaer from Molde...
    YNWA 97
    Even this guy has been asked by FSG to come for a chat...

20607001.jpg

Still...a better bet than Martinez :#
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    I think Villa would be better off trying to get Solskjaer from Molde...

Ole Gunnar Solksjaer has pulled out of the running for the Aston Villa manager's job. He is apparently reluctant to uproot his family and wants to stay living in his home town and manage Molde.

From my point of view it would be good to see more young up and coming managers in the premiership bringing new energy and ideas rather than have the same old faces moving from club to club. It's a bit more of a gamble taking on a younger manager but the rewards could be greater.
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Moore Than wrote:
    Ole Gunnar Solksjaer has pulled out of the running for the Aston Villa manager's job. He is apparently reluctant to uproot his family and wants to stay living in his home town and manage Molde.

From my point of view it would be good to see more young up and coming managers in the premiership bringing new energy and ideas rather than have the same old faces moving from club to club. It's a bit more of a gamble taking on a younger manager but the rewards could be greater.

As a Villa supporter, I do hope that that's the reason that OGS turned down Villa and not just that we're in such steep decline that he didn't want to ruin his English coaching reputation even before he's actually got one. I still maintain that the only reason McMuppet got the job was because he promised Lerner that he wouldn't spend any money - how else does someone relegated from the Prem twice in four seasons get a job offer?

Alas, I don't have high expectations for Villa's next manager. Interviewing OGS was a very positive move and the fact that Lerner sent his private jet to collect him, is very positive. I just hope we don't end up with another McMuppet!