Gunbarrel sequence...

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,481Chief of Staff
    In a year from now, millions of fans of a much-loved, well-established film series will be very disappointed if their long-awaited, much anticipated movie does not begin with "A long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away" while a very familiar theme blasts out at full volume.

I'm one of them.

I am also one who will be disappointed if a certain other well-known series does not start in the way it should.
  • Virgil37Virgil37 Posts: 1,212MI6 Agent
    Asp9mm wrote:
    If his face wasn't obscured by the aim, it would be unrealistic like the others.

When Steven Spielberg was shooting Jaws, the scene where the body of the first victim is found on the beach, he had a prop of a severed arm made. Spielberg said it looked fake, and the assistant said that's how severed limbs looked after a day. Spielberg replied that a pathologist might realise, but that to an average moviegoer, the arm would look fake. They shot the scene by burying a living person's arm in the sand. Spielberg was right. This is movies, a show, not a documentary.

Same here. Craig looks worse than the others. I don't care if the gunbarrel is realistic or not. It's not supposed to look realistic. It's supposed to look good.
  • Asp9mmAsp9mm Over the Hills and Far Away.Posts: 7,485MI6 Agent
    edited December 2014
    That's your opinion. Looking realistic looks good in this instance. Visual effects are much different to accurate and well represented technique. Especially when said technique is supposed to be central to Bond's character. Connery's gun barrel leg wobble was awful. Bond is supposed to be turning and shooting, not auditioning for Strictly.

Bob Simmons pirouette was obviously the worst, followed by Connery, Brosnan, Moore and Lazenby. Dalton was actually quite good, all three of Craigs have been on a par or better.
    ..................Asp9mmSIG-1-2.jpg...............
    Asp9mm wrote:
    That's your opinion. Looking realistic looks good in this instance. Visual effects are much different to accurate and well represented technique. Especially when said technique is supposed to be central to Bond's character. Connery's gun barrel leg wobble was awful. Bond is supposed to be turning and shooting, not auditioning for Strictly.

Bob Simmons pirouette was obviously the worst, followed by Connery, Brosnan, Moore and Lazenby. Dalton was actually quite good, all three of Craigs have been on a par or better.

Right, that's my opinion as an average moviegoer. Craig's looks the worst to me, however realistic it may be. Bob Simmon's classic gunbarrel is amazing, so is Connery's and Moore's.

We are talking the gunbarrel, a trademark. It's like discussing whether MGM's lion's roar and posture is realistic or not as if it was supposed to be a National Geographic documentary.

Other discussion altogether is how the actors handle guns in the movies themselves. First and foremost, it should look great on screen.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,675Chief of Staff
    Virgil37 wrote:
    Right, that's my opinion as an average moviegoer.

And Asp9mm has his opinion....

I prefer realism (to a point)....so I like the way Craig has be be taught/trained to handle firearms... -{
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Virgil37 wrote:

I prefer realism (to a point)....so I like the way Craig has be be taught/trained to handle firearms... -{

Sure, he has his opinion and his favourite gunbarrels as he said. Which is yours?
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    Virgil37 wrote:
    I don't care if the gunbarrel is realistic or not. It's not supposed to look realistic. It's supposed to look good.

For me, there are two sides of the argument.

Realism vs looking good... I think you can have both. Although in some scenes this will be very hard to achieve... the car chase at the beginning of QoS looked amazing, how realistic it was is another thing... but this is what movie making is all about.
    However, you need to get me to believe this is possible... and in order to do this, if you get the small things right - like how Craig holds a gun, then you're going to allow me to trust the 'not so realistic' aspects.
    The likelihood of people ever being in a car chase - such as QoS is nil. Like I've said, it's not realistic, but the likelihood of people being on a shooting range, or had experience of firing a gun is much higher... so therefore - get the bits that are easily achievable right - then you'll have me believing the rest...
    To me it seems Craig’s Bond, is trying to get it 'as right as possible' - hence the hours he spends in the gym, learning the moves, and using the green screen as little as possible - and this is how I prefer my Bond movies. I'm not watching a transformers movie where everything is fake, I'm watching a Bond movie where I can believe this could happen...
    It was the ultimate nail in Brossers Bond... DAD just had too many elements that may 'have looked good' but were too far away from reality.
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Agreed, it's a Fantasy movie but based in reality. So long as it
    Looks possible, then in movie terms it's realistic. :D IMHO you
    Can't make a truly realistic espionage Bond, or you'll get
    Tinker, Tailor, Soldier, Spy ! No spiral car jumps, skiing off cliffs,
    Or using a JCB to catch a train. ;)
    So as far as I'm concerned, keep doing what you're doing guys ! :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Virgil37 wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Virgil37 wrote:

Sure, he has his opinion and his favourite gunbarrels as he said. Which is yours?

It's a gun barrel...I couldn't really care...it's all about the movie...some people need to get a grip !
    YNWA 97
  • BIG TAMBIG TAM Wrexham, North Wales, UK.Posts: 773MI6 Agent
    I like Lazenby's twirl onto bended knee the best. Moore's first two stances come second, with Dalton's third. Not keen on Connery's from TB on - he always looks as if he's going to fall over!
    :)) I too like Lazenby's gun barrel. Always reminded me of Connery
    Dropping to one knee, checking out his flat in Dr No.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Virgil37 wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

It's a gun barrel...I couldn't really care...it's all about the movie...some people need to get a grip !

I agree, some people need to get a grip, and not over-analyze the gunbarrel. It's only the trademark of a movie.
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    BIG TAM wrote:
    I like Lazenby's twirl onto bended knee the best. Moore's first two stances come second, with Dalton's third. Not keen on Connery's from TB on - he always looks as if he's going to fall over!

The Problem with Lazenby's Gunbarrel is that it looks like it was put together rather quickly.
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    Virgil37 wrote:
    I agree, some people need to get a grip, and not over-analyze the gunbarrel. It's only the trademark of a movie.

And to stop fretting about where the gunbarrel will be...and which is their favourite... 8-)
    YNWA 97
    Come on us nerds need to go on ad nauseam over the Tiniest little things !
    Then fight and argue over who's right ! :))
    Come on us nerds need to go on ad nauseam over the Tiniest little things !
    Then fight and argue over who's right ! :))

Well...that would be me, naturally B-)

:007)
    YNWA 97
    :)) :)) :)) , as it's your birthday .........
    Sir Miles wrote:
    And to stop fretting about where the gunbarrel will be...

I did precisely that in the last page. I agreed with TP that it should be were the director felt it was ok.
    Sir Miles wrote:
    and which is their favourite...

Why? I have a favourite gunbarrel, as I have a favourite movie. Why shouldn't we say it here? Perfectly legitimate.
    I think Sir Miles was somewhat, Pulling our legs. ;)
  • LexiLexi LondonPosts: 3,000MI6 Agent
    I think Sir Miles was somewhat, Pulling our legs. ;)

I wouldn't be so sure...

....another year older after all :))
    She's worth whatever chaos she brings to the table and you know it. ~ Mark Anthony
    What is it now 67, 68 ? :))
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:
    I prefer it at the end. The movie literally ends with a bang. Makes for a very exciting finish. Go back and watch TLD and they've got some love song playing as soon as the movie ends. It's very boring and if they just put the gun barrel scene there instead it would have been a great finish.

LTK and a few others also have a very crappy ending like that.

I see LTK getting mentioned a lot with a crappy ending. It might be a controvertial opinion but I really like Patti Labelle's "if you asked me too" song that plays of the credits of that movie. It always leaves me with a smile, almost like an ending to the classic Bond movies.

Goldeneye on the other hand does indeed have a very boring song playing over the credits, and I've never really thought of how those movies would have been with a gunbarrel at the end...

I also love LTK's ending song

Me too. Great song. -{
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    I've reached the point I'm so over the whole gun barrel thing. :D
    Let the director put it where it works best. -{

Preach, brother! :))
    I think they should put the gunbarrel in an after credits sequence, a la the Marvel movies. Just imagine, sitting in the dark theater, nearly empty popcorn box in hand, watching the names of hundreds of technicians, grips, gaffers, sound mixers, costume designers, matte painters, caterers, drivers, lawyers, etc., scrolling down the screen. Until that magic moment when BAM! There it is! The old familiar gunbarrel sequence, with Craig walking slowly, but not too slowly, swinging around, gun held correctly and realistically, but not blocking that iconic face, firing towards the camera, on steady legs, not wobbly, blood slowly tickling down, real blood, not CGI. Wouldn't that be great and well worth the wait? Or maybe not! :))
    Virgil37 wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    And to stop fretting about where the gunbarrel will be...

I did precisely that in the last page. I agreed with TP that it should be were the director felt it was ok.
    Sir Miles wrote:
    and which is their favourite...

Why? I have a favourite gunbarrel, as I have a favourite movie. Why shouldn't we say it here? Perfectly legitimate.

I thought we had agreed that people needed to get a grip here ???

And it shouldn't be said here...there was a thread for this knocking about somewhere...Lord alone knows why 8-)
    YNWA 97
    What is it now 67, 68 ? :))

I'm 1268....I'm the Doctor in FAR more grumpy guise ;)
    YNWA 97
    realistically, but not blocking that iconic face, firing towards the camera, on steady legs, not wobbly, blood slowly tickling down, real blood, not CGI. Wouldn't that be great and well worth the wait? Or maybe not! :))

+1 -{ :007)
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    I think they should put the gunbarrel in an after credits sequence, a la the Marvel movies. Just imagine, sitting in the dark theater, nearly empty popcorn box in hand, watching the names of hundreds of technicians, grips, gaffers, sound mixers, costume designers, matte painters, caterers, drivers, lawyers, etc., scrolling down the screen. Until that magic moment when BAM! There it is! The old familiar gunbarrel sequence, with Craig walking slowly, but not too slowly, swinging around, gun held correctly and realistically, but not blocking that iconic face, firing towards the camera, on steady legs, not wobbly, blood slowly tickling down, real blood, not CGI. Wouldn't that be great and well worth the wait? Or maybe not! :))

Sounds a bit like me after a few Pints :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • chrisisallchrisisall Western Mass, USAPosts: 9,061MI6 Agent
    I like the cartoon blood drip. :007)
    Dalton & Connery rule. Brozz was cool.
    #1.TLD/LTK 2.TND 3.GF 4.GE 5.DN 6.FYEO 7.FRWL 8.TMWTGG 9.TWINE 10.YOLT/QOS
  • CmdrAtticusCmdrAtticus United StatesPosts: 1,102MI6 Agent
    My first post in this topic. For some reason I have a gut feeling they are going to put the GB sequence at the beginning of the film - either out of nostalgia or just to surprise audiences with the traditional "here comes Bond" opening in order to let them know they are in for an experience different from the other three Craig films, or both.
This discussion has been closed.