The Silencer & Black Garter

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    " manys a mickle makes a muckle"
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,815MI6 Agent
    It is. We actually have many jokes about about the Scottish here.
    People from Sunnmøre also have a reputation of being good merchants and entrepreneurs, especially starting furniture production. I'm 45 and still I haven't started a single factory, making me a failure of sorts :))
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    " manys a mickle makes a muckle"
    Or in English,
    "Look after the penny's and the pounds will look after themselves"
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    Number24 wrote:
    It is. We actually have many jokes about about the Scottish here.
    People from Sunnmøre also have a reputation of being good merchants and entrepreneurs, especially starting furniture production. I'm 45 and still I haven't started a single factory, making me a failure of sorts :))

Then they have a fine reputation and at only 45 you have plenty of time to start a factory. I once had a small hand-built furniture business....I did it to fill my time between projects, but demand was so high I couldn't keep up so packed it in 8-)
    I just saw the British National Wife-Carrying Championship was held today.
    It had obstacles and everything :))
    https://youtu.be/pP5XJIAjnO8
    Tom Hiddleston does a N.Ireland accent ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    https://youtu.be/pP5XJIAjnO8
    Tom Hiddleston does a N.Ireland accent ;)
    That's nearly as accurate as yours TP!
    Though Sean Bean's in patriot games puts you both to shame :)
    :)) I'm still working on mine

The worst N.Ireland Accent in film belongs to. Natascha McElhone in Ronin, which is
    Sooooooooooooooooo Bad ! To be Hilarious.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,392Chief of Staff
    Loved her in "Solaris".
    I thought Jonathan pryce didn't quite pull it off either in Ronin. Particularly his abrupt "dryve" and " yuy styupid shyte"
    I don"t know if Welsh, Scottish or indeed parts of England. When watching a film with "your" accent
    In it. Doesn't think to themselves " We don't sound like that, .... Do we ?" :D
    Funny, some fellow called Fergus o hir has just been on the news talking about northern Irish language. Im sure it happens a lot, I don't have a particularly audible localised dialect or accent, but I have an issue with northerners on quiz shows...they always come across thick, and illiterate and not representative.
    I don"t know if Welsh, Scottish or indeed parts of England. When watching a film with "your" accent
    In it. Doesn't think to themselves " We don't sound like that, .... Do we ?" :D

To which I cite...

AA_OLD_MAN_5.jpg

8-)
    :)) I'm still working on mine

The worst N.Ireland Accent in film belongs to. Natascha McElhone in Ronin, which is
    Sooooooooooooooooo Bad ! To be Hilarious.

I have to ask, TP: Back during The Troubles in the 70's and 80's and you visited England, did people look at you or treat you different because you have a "terrorist accent"?
    She canne take any morrre captain!!!!
    I don't know if James Doohan's accent is convincing to non-Scots...? But it certainly isn't here!
    Apparently I sound quite posh ( so a few have told me ) , regularly asked where I'm from as I don't
    Sound local ? :D I put it down to living in a rough area but being raised watching Sir Roger :))
    Although it runs in the family, as on holiday my late Father was often asked if he was from Cornwall.

Number24, I was far too young to be traveling in the 70s but Yes, I'm sure having a N.Ireland accent
    Wouldn't have been popular, but understandable.

As a kid I was amazed to find out James Doohan was Canadian and not Scottish at all
    I tone down my accent when not in Scotland, but do sound Scottish (a few people here can testify to that! :D Sir Miles, Loeffelholz, Moonraker5 (now there's a blast from the past), walther p99, and anyone who listened to my radio show back when I did that). I don't sound particularly Scottish when singing.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,597MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    I don't know if James Doohan's accent is convincing to non-Scots...? But it certainly isn't here!

I think it is convincing to most Americans. It's not like Dick Van Dyke trying to sound Cockney.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    edited March 2017
    You sound posh? Sir Roger has a lot to answer for :))
    Do I remember correctly if I I think your family is traditionally Catholic? If that's the case, it sounds strange in a historical/religious/political context. Sorry to be so personal, but I'm interested.
    Apparently I sound quite posh ( so a few have told me ) , regularly asked where I'm from as I don't
    Sound local ? :D I put it down to living in a rough area but being raised watching Sir Roger :))
    Although it runs in the family, as on holiday my late Father was often asked if he was from Cornwall.

Number24, I was far too young to be traveling in the 70s but Yes, I'm sure having a N.Ireland accent
    Wouldn't have been popular, but understandable.

As a kid I was amazed to find out James Doohan was Canadian and not Scottish at all
    I too had a similar shock, when younger I watched a programme called Harrys game, starring Derek Thompson, I was very shocked when he popped up on TV with an English accent and not the northern Irish accent I associated him with.
    Matt S wrote:
    Barbel wrote:

I think it is convincing to most Americans. It's not like Dick Van Dyke trying to sound Cockney.

...which doesn't convince anyone! :)) :)) :))

(I think it's a nice touch that he'll be in the new Mary Poppins movie, though.)
    Oddly enough the N.Ireland accent won a poll for the sexiest British dialect/accent - -{
    As one comedian put it " that's because most people haven't heard a N.Ireland accent.
    As on film Everyone puts on a slightly ( Radio Four, type cleaned up version )" :))

Chriscoop, I had a similar experience not that long ago, when the guy who plays the
    Spanish barman in "Benidorm" was Interviewed, and he's from Essex !
    On Dick van Dyke, in an Interview Came Julie Andrews said, he was trying so hard and
    Putting so much effort in to his Cockney accent. That no one had the heart to tell him
    It really wasn't very good.
    Although I too would love to hear it again in the new movie.
    Perhaps you can thank Liam Neeson for the results of that poll?
    On a completely different subject: my internet searches tonight have thought me that the Germans had 80 navy special forces soldiers (Marine Einsatz Kommando - MEK) in a town in this county during WWII.
    They had manned torpedoes and schnellboots and perhaps combat divers too. I didn't even know they kept SF here after the invasjon. Interesting.
    About 20 years ago, I was in Tunisia and on my first night in the hotel I went into the bar (I know you'll find that hard to believe, but it's true).
    Wanting to show off the schoolboy French, I asked the barman for "Un verre de bière s'il vous plaît."
    Barman: "Ah- you English!"
    Me: "No, I'm not English."
    Barman: "Well, you're certainly not French with that accent. You American?"
    Me: "No, I'm not American."

At which point he began to ask if I was German, Australian, Canadian, etc. A small queue began to build up behind me, two or three guys wanting drink. Eventually, he came back to, "Look, you sure you not English?"
    At which point a thick Irish accent immediately behind me said, "Aw, for feck's sake, hurry up and serve him!" and the barman said, "Ah! You Irish!" and the Irishman said, "No, he's a feckin' Scotsman, now give him his pint so we can get served!"

The Irishman knew fine where I was from, and you do not get between a thirsty Irishman and his drink...
    Hmmm ( scratches chin) 24 deems you a Catholic, you were brought up in a rough area in Northern Ireland! Which must be the falls Road area ( because it's the only one I know) ...... Interesting, I put to you that you are none other than that well known rapscallion and scoundrel Fenian Fergus of Fall Road hiding behind the affable persona of Thunderpussy! What do you say to that?? :007)
    Barbel wrote:
    About 20 years ago, I was in Tunisia and on my first night in the hotel I went into the bar (I know you'll find that hard to believe, but it's true).
    Wanting to show off the schoolboy French, I asked the barman for "Un verre de bière s'il vous plaît."
    Barman: "Ah- you English!"
    Me: "No, I'm not English."
    Barman: "Well, you're certainly not French with that accent. You American?"
    Me: "No, I'm not American."

At which point he began to ask if I was German, Australian, Canadian, etc. A small queue began to build up behind me, two or three guys wanting drink. Eventually, he came back to, "Look, you sure you not English?"
    At which point a thick Irish accent immediately behind me said, "Aw, for feck's sake, hurry up and serve him!" and the barman said, "Ah! You Irish!" and the Irishman said, "No, he's a feckin' Scotsman, now give him his pint so we can get served!"

The Irishman knew fine where I was from, and you do not get between a thirsty Irishman and his drink...
    Very true, I wonder if everywhere has such a diverse array of dialects, I mean in Scotland the dialect changes almost from.town to town, Birmingham is only a 120 odd miles from me but I can't understand them, in Leeds south of the river differs from North of the river etc the UK is a small place for such diversity.
    On Barbels story, once on holiday in Blackpool ( the las Vegas of the North ) at a late night
    Chippy. A drunk Scottish chap was trying to order a burger and chips. The guy serving couldn't
    Understand him, so I was able to act as translator :D even though we were all speaking English
    That's the sort of glamorous life I lead
    :))

A few years ago, my brother & his family came over to Berlin with us. He doesn't speak a word of German and one lunchtime we went into a McDonald's where he wanted to do his order himself using a phrasebook. I'd like you to imagine the English policeman from "Allo Allo" (particularly since my brother is a policeman) so I'll put it into English.

My brother: (Bad German) Good mourning. I would lahk to heave a boorger with none cheese, nothing lettuce, and nil pickle please."
    Girl: (Perfect English) Oh, so that would be a plain burger then?
    My brother: Huh?
    Girl: I'm from London, just speak English.