The Silencer & Black Garter

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,815MI6 Agent
    Yes, I was implying TP spent his time throwing rocks at squaddies and painted IRA murals during his childhood......
    I wasn't really. But I believe many Northern Irish Catholics saw/see the English (especially the up per classes) as occupants on their land. In that case it seems strange to me if some of them picked up their accent. I hope I'm not more insensitive than usual and/or my memory plays tricks on me about the religion of TP's family.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    :)) No worries N24 , while others were throwing stones, I was running about in a long coat and
    Scarf pretending to be Tom Baker :D I readily admit I've very odd, in that I'm an atheist but being
    N.Ireland, you're either a Catholic or Protestant Atheist. I'm a Unionist, in that I want to stay part of
    The UK ( unlike those Scottish guys :p ) so I like to think I'm the embodiment of the New N.Ireland
    Strong, independent and always looking for money off the English ! :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    Yes, I was implying TP spent his time throwing rocks at squaddies and painted IRA murals during his childhood......
    I wasn't really. But I believe many Northern Irish Catholics saw/see the English (especially the up per classes) as occupants on their land. In that case it seems strange to me if some of them picked up their accent. I hope I'm not more insensitive than usual and/or my memory plays tricks on me about the religion of TP's family.
    The English are hated everywhere for one reason or another.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    You don't get an empire without breaking eggs ;)

In the UK, it's very simple The Irish hate the English, The Welsh hate the English
    The Scottish hate the English, ...... It's what unites us :p :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    edited March 2017
    If only you'd all just done as you were told........
    I don't understand the Scottish, for centuries they invaded Newcastle on practically every weekend, got kicked out Sunday night then came back the following weekend to invade again, as part of the union they don't have to invade anymore. But apparently that's good enough. Now most the Scottish have left Scotland to live elsewhere in the UK, they can mostly be found in a pub sat on a stool telling anyone who will listen what a fabulous country Scotland is. :)
    Hey, as Hugo Drax said England gave us afternoon tea ...
    All is forgiven :D
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Number24 wrote:
    The English are hated everywhere for one reason or another.

Actually the English haven't been hated here since the wars of Napoleon. The exeption that proves the rule, perhaps?
    Perhaps, I think the Maltese quite like us still.
    Most neighbouring countries don't along very well at times. But aside from the rugby I like all the countries of the UK, we are stronger together and work well as a united Kingdom.
  • Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent
    Re Scottish accents, sometimes I think good, sometimes I cringe, sometimes I piss myself laughing.
    Jimmy Doohan bless him was convincing as the character, but his accent was impossible to determine. - Books say he was a Glasweigan with an Edinburgh inflected accent. But in actuality he sounded like neither.
    Paul McGillion as Dr Carson Beckett in Stargate Atlantis, a completely different story. His accent is convincingly Scottish, either West coast, or possibly my home territory the North East.

From a Bond perspective CR-67 offers the worst. God knows what most of the McTarry girls are doing xAhm Daddee's wea therremomitter!" And John Houston is talking though his teeth or cheeks in rotation. Poor Deborah Kerr, the genuine article goes aff an wan tae make the scenes a pish take an naw mistake!

Aye its an affie clorty gubbins sae it is!

Who's needing a wee drop o summit? Holly!! Git aff that windie sill, you'l spook yon dolberman doon the lane!

(Low grumbling growling from the cat as she pads to her basket for a snooze.)
    This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?
    For some reason a Norwegian accent are more seldom heard in American and British movies than Scottish.
    But when it happens, it usually involves a liberal use of "yaaaaaaa". Let me just say that "ja" means "yes" and not "yeah". People, even in the Nordic countries, think all Norwegians end reir sentences on a high note. Actually that is mainly in the southeast, near Oslo, and the rest of us agree it can sound weird.
    We especially enjoy the episode of X- files that takes place on a Norwegian boat. I don't know who caches the Canadian (?) actors, but that Sweden is mistaken in his belief that he knows our language :))
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Your thoughts on this No24 ...

http://www.thelocal.se/20120829/42886

The Swedish Chef is actually Norwegian !!!!
    Swedish, now that was perfectly captured by this fine character, chicken in a basket anyone?
    https://youtu.be/sY_Yf4zz-yo
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Your thoughts on this No24 ...

http://www.thelocal.se/20120829/42886

The Swedish Chef is actually Norwegian !!!!
    My lady, you beat me to it -{
    The intonasjon is Swedish or from the southeast of Norway. The words have a lack of hard constants (k, g, r, etc) and sounds slurred, typical of Danish. The person talking knows no real Scandinavian words.
    And "hurdy-gurdy" is not a real expression in our languages, unlike "Fa Fa, fa-fa fa", an example actual posh English. :v
    Are you saying the posh airmen in " allo, allo"
    Were faking :D
    No. I've learnt most of my English and French from 'Allo' Allo. The episode where the Gestapo learnt English was highly instruktive. It's the hurdy-gurdy that's fake. Do you understand? I will say this only once!
    Number24 wrote:
    And "hurdy-gurdy" is not a real expression in our languages, unlike "Fa Fa, fa-fa fa", an example actual posh English. :v

'Hurdy -gurdy' is not real !!!

And there was me thinking I was fluent in Swedish .... :))
    Sadly you're not, but I bet you know Danish after watching "The Killing" :D
    Number24 wrote:
    Sadly you're not, but I bet you know Danish after watching "The Killing" :D

Sadly not as I didn't watch it ... but I do like their bacon :)
    Some nice jumpers and knitwear too :D
    Their tourism slogan is: "It's wonderful/pleasant to be Norwegian......... in Denmark!" :))
    Pops head around the door .... Any discussion about religion going on ? No. Good ...

As it's 5 o'clock a small glass of something I feel .... :))
    I'll have a large glass of something strong, defending an opinion is thirsty and hard work these days! God we need some bond 25 action and quick :#
    Oh good evening lady rose, how's our fairest member?
    Chriscoop wrote:
    I'll have a large glass of something strong, defending an opinion is thirsty and hard work these days! God we need some bond 25 action and quick :#
    Oh good evening lady rose, how's our fairest member?

It's amazing how people can lose objectivity when certain subjects arise!

I'm very well thanks.

Glad to be back into the AJB swing ... took a bit of time off whilst doing some work on the house :#

I'll join you in a large one ... be rude not to :)
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,391Chief of Staff
    I'll join you, CC- keeping quiet and restrained is hard work, too.
    Well that's three large ones please, wine for the lady and Macallan for me and Barbel. Cheers all -{
    Work on the house eh, that's what I do for a living...... Just other peoples these days :#

Barbel you've acquitted yourself well, except your appalling spelling :))

Just wait till number 24 gets home from work and hits the site, this could be a long night!
    "Arguing" is right, it was "religion" that caused trouble... er... perhaps I should have phrased that differently...
    :)) it was reigion I was referring to.
    That's just a reigional variation. :D