The Silencer & Black Garter

Comments

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,695MI6 Agent
    edited April 2023

It was actually sunny and quite hot here today though the forecast gives a ground frost for tomorrow morning. So we're not quite out of the woods yet. On my way home from work I saw some lambs gamboling (no, not playing poker) in the fields. I think Spring has finally sprung. 😊

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,392Chief of Staff

Not surprisingly, it was sunny and quite warm here, too. Yes, it sure feels like spring.

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,815MI6 Agent

Here it's a matter of local geography. I have dinner one place and the snow is falling on white fields in unusually large snow flakes. Then I drive through one tunnel and the fields are white and the sky is blue. One more tunnel and it's green fields and spring. It's confusing.

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,695MI6 Agent

That reminds me of what people here often say about the rain. It's something of a colloquialism. They say that it "falls out different places" by which they mean it can be raining one place then a little further down the road it can be dry or even sunny. I suppose it's all part of the microclimate at work at the localised level.

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

"Sounds quite reasonable."

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,281MI6 Agent

I don't often pop in here, but it is St George's Day. And before anyone moans about me being overtly patriotic - I am really not, I just feel the dragon slayer is undervalued in the UK against Patrick, Andrew and David - I'd like to point out that St George, if he existed at all, was probably a Greek officer in the Roman army, is venerated in Islamic tradition and is the Patron Saint not only of England but also of Catalonia, Bosnia, Malta and Ethiopia, from whence this beer comes. Any chance of an import, landlord?

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,272MI6 Agent

Beers to you @chrisno1 🍻

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.

Let's raise a glas to the new king and Queen! Or, if you're republican, to the UK. 🇬🇧

edited May 2023

I raise a glass of Portemo to King Charles III and Queen Camilla. God Save the King! 🍷

Today it's 78 years since the allies victory over nazi Germany. Let's toast to those who fought, those who died and the few veterans who are still with us!

• Thunderbird 2Thunderbird 2 East of Cardiff, Wales.Posts: 2,777MI6 Agent

I have just been putting fresh stock in the larder and bottled stock in the cellar.

Re Stately Hones there is only one for me. Creighton Ward Manor. Though second place goes to Fortar Castle.

Coke Zero 24. Fresh Ice. Oh and I finally got in the Mackellans at last too.

This is Thunderbird 2, how can I be of assistance?

Thanks. I'm nine minutes into our national day or constitution day, so cheers to that!

I PM'd a member who shall remain anonymous, saying I'll probably end tomorrow with hot dogs and Coke by the bonfire. The other member got it wrong at first, reading "dogs and coke". 🤣

Vesper? You've changed ......

edited July 2023

This is a real petition from 1674:

And the response a couple of weeks later:

I still opt for Coke Zero and not to drink coffee today ....

A scandalous pamphlet indeed. I need coffee some mornings in order to function properly.

I don't know. I never drink coffee and I rarely feel dry and enfeebled.

I'm sure it's possible to survive without it but some mornings before work I just need a mug of coffee to speed up the wakened state.

edited September 2023

I'm sitting here hoping for Gymkata to join me. A coke Zero, please, while I'm waiting`🙂

edited October 2023

I saw this headline in a newspaper: "House stolen - found Saturday". You may be impressed by Norwegian thieves and somewhat less impressed by our police based on that headline, but keep in mind it was one of those newfangled micro houses. What few know is that I lived in it and kept it here in this great establishment. 😁

edited October 2023

A Rum Collins, please. And here’s a joke to go with it.

CHB, Barbel and N24 are marooned on a desert Island; their meagre food supply was gone and the last of the Scotch had gone. Walking dolefully along the edge of the beach they see a bottle. They pick it up and pull out the cork, out flies a genie.

“Oh thank you”, he says, “I’ve been in that bottle for 2000 years, I’m rewarding you each with one wish."

CHB says, “I wish i was back in Mango Square, Cebu”. And woosh he’s gone.

Barbel says, “Och the noo, i wish i was back in Sauchiehall Street, Glasgow”. And woosh he’s gone, too.

Finally the genie asks N24, he replies, “It’ll be lonely here without the other two, i wish they could come back”.

😂😂😂😂 He'll love that!

PS "Och the noo"???? When has anyone ever heard me say that?

I put my hands up to cultural misrepresentation, Barbel 😂

I'm so glad you're both here! 😁

In the spirit of halloween I now have a deer hanging from a hook in my cellar - or to be precise half of it. 🎃

edited October 2023

Oh, deer! Sounds very like what hangs in my basement. There's usually something down there...

It arrived about an hour ago. The other half went somewhere else.

edited October 2023

I should say that I didn't murder that poor, defenceless animal. My family just happens to own the scene of the crime.