The Silencer & Black Garter

Comments

• CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,273MI6 Agent

I remember you posting a graphic picture some years ago of things hanging in your cellar - I think a movie could be made of it 😁

Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,696MI6 Agent

Tales from the Crypt would be a good title. πŸ˜€

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).

πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚πŸ˜‚

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,696MI6 Agent

Sadly that one's already been taken... πŸ˜‰

"The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,815MI6 Agent
    edited November 2023

To the surprise and shock of many Norwegians, winter came this year too πŸ˜‚

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,146MI6 Agent

Give that man a mug of hot chocolate please, barman. This is not a day for Coke Zero.

"Any of the opposition around..?"
    edited November 2023

Thanks. And I'd like to say that I changed to winter tyres last week, suspecting winter could come in 2023 too. I saw a repeating pattern.

First frost of the winter on the car windscreen this morning was a shock to me too! ❄️

An Irish coffee, please, while I read this old issue of Showtime with lovely Martine Beswick on the cover…

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,398Chief of Staff

Ah, that must be part of the gentleman's interest collection which @Thunderpussy found so involving.

Ah, yes, the much missed TP.

Showtime was the J. Arthur Rank (oo-er missus) film magazine which was set up to rival the ABC Film Review magazine - they only publicised their own movies in each magazine. Showtime never really caught on and folded in 1967, 3 years after launching.

We can neither confirm nor deny that a Bond Christmas story is in the works.

Barbel, CHB, N24

A Northern Irish bar's Christmas advert on loneliness is "blowing John Lewis out of the water":

• chrisno1chrisno1 LondonPosts: 3,281MI6 Agent

Hmm. I heard about this. Cost £700 - looks it. Very nice. When I'm in a pub on my own with a pint of Guinness no one talks to me unless I make a move, so clearly that old fella was lucky or I am frightening.

🍺 🍺

You look frightening. But I'm brave and heroic, so I'll sit with you. - Coke Zero, please!

edited November 2023

It of course helps that it's scripted and the widowed man is played by an actor called Martin McManus. I don't frequent pubs as I don't drink alcohol but I'd imagine I'd get the same reaction. I'm told it's my rather intense eyes that scare people away:

I can't imagine why?

πŸ‘ΏπŸ‘ΏπŸ‘Ώ

That stare is enough to raise the Devil himself. πŸ‘Ή

It most certainly is and will be heading to a thread near you very soon!

Perhaps a little too early, but I would just like to take this opportunity to wish you all, the sincerest compliments of the season, and in celebration of my 3000th post, a round of egg nog to all in this blessed house of The Silencer & Black Garter. Bottoms Up!🍻

Much appreciated, The Red Kind. Congratulations on your 3000th post, and compliments of the season to you as well. πŸŽ…

Many thanks. I am catching you up! Cheers. 🍻

Congratulations with your 3000 posts, The Red Kind. I also wish you a a happy Christmastime.

Congratulations on having made it to 3000 posts, @The Red Kind and the compliments of the season to you also. πŸŽ„

I'd like to invite everybody to read the story I've posted in the "Real stories from the world of espionage and special operations" thread. it involves an unconventional MI6 agent , a truly evil Gestapo commander, the battleship Tirpitz and espionage in the far north.

https://www.ajb007.co.uk/discussion/51043/real-stories-from-the-world-of-espionage-and-special-operations#latest

Thank you, All. We're heading towards "the most wonderful time of the year", and being on AJB is one of the most wonderful places to be. πŸ€—

Congratulations TRK, it’s always good to see you on here 🍻

Not been around much recently. I have had a bad week. My mother died extremely suddenly on Monday morning. On the previous Thursday she had spent a lovely 83rd birthday with Dad in a restaurant I booked for them followed by a walk in the park. Like old times, he said. Mum suffered a stroke Thursday night and never recovered. She had a severe heart attack on Monday and, although resuscitated, passed away just after myself, Dad and my brother made it to her bedside at St Georges. We were in shock for a few days.

Today, I took Dad to church and this afternoon we watched The Titfield Thunderbolt. Mum would have liked the trains. [Review here. https://www.ajb007.co.uk/discussion/comment/1064816#Comment_1064816] She would have liked that brilliant sunset photo @Number24 . In her later years, she and my dad circled the world crossing destinations off their to do list. Home is quite a sorrowful place at the moment and I will have a lot of catching up to do on AJB when I get back in the groove. Before dinner we all raised a glass of Fino and then sank some Piesport Michelsberg, one of Mum's favourites. I think the Silencer and Black Garter would approve.

Be back soon, friends.

edited December 2023

I'm deeply sorry to hear of your loss, chrisno1. A toast to your mother's memeory!

• SoneroSonero Posts: 45MI6 Agent

chrisno1- Please accept my deepest condolences.

May her soul rest in peace.

Please take care of yourself and your dear father.