FIFA World Cup 2014

Comments

• The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Bondtoys wrote:

So, the World Cup is just 16 days away

It's only 9 days.....

Ha ha...proves my point about my unprecedented lack of interest! Yes indeed, one week tomorrow it starts.
    If I am going to make a prediction for England it will be that we draw the opener against Italy because neither side will want to lose, we'll beat Uruguay because no one will expect us to, and then we'll lose the final match against Costa Rica coz that's what we do! We will fail to advance because of goal difference.
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    In todays evening standard ,it seems that our Mayor of London ,Boris Johnson was castigated for not knowing who was in Englands
    squad well why should he , im sure he has better things to worry about than who Rooney and co are up against ,if we was in a group that consisted of a blind team , a team of cretins ,and a team of one legged war veterans ,we would still loose
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,610Chief of Staff
    Boris Johnson has nothing to worry about at all...he fooled all you Londoners into voting for him....the man gives cretins a bad name X-(
    Although the second part of your post is pretty accurate !
    YNWA 97
  • danjaq_0ffdanjaq_0ff The SwampsPosts: 7,283MI6 Agent
    probably a Mason to boot :D
    danjaq_0ff wrote:
    probably a Mason to boot :D

If he is I'll boot him :D
    YNWA 97
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    BBC to stream World Cup matches in 4K ultra HD, so good news for anyone with a 4k TV. :))
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-27713243

Three World Cup football matches being played in Brazil this summer will be streamed in ultra high-definition (UHD), the BBC has announced.

The format, also known as 4K, offers four times the resolution of 1080p high definition video.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    So the BBC will broadcast in 4k ? Bizarre ?:)

Then why are the teams being asked to play all in one colour so the cameras can pick them out easier ?:) It's madness X-(
    YNWA 97
    :)) Even Sony, wants an investigation in to how Qatar got the gig.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    ...and now Adidas and Visa say they want some answers too. The only thing that will make FIFA properly investigate this is a threat of losing money. That's the only thing FIFA ever respond to. I don't care whether Qatar host or not - apart from the abysmal human rights violations amongst the construction workers - but I want the World Cup played in summer as it should be, not disrupting 2-3 regular winter seasons for northern leagues. Qatar have the money to air condition the outdoor stadiums as they originally said they would in their bid, so do it!
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    ...and now Adidas and Visa say they want some answers too. The only thing that will make FIFA properly investigate this is a threat of losing money. That's the only thing FIFA ever respond to. I don't care whether Qatar host or not - apart from the abysmal human rights violations amongst the construction workers - but I want the World Cup played in summer as it should be, not disrupting 2-3 regular winter seasons for northern leagues. Qatar have the money to air condition the outdoor stadiums as they originally said they would in their bid, so do it!

Glad the sponsors have weighed in as like you say FIFA will take more serious and it might not be brushed under the carpet.
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    Over the weekend I overhead three people having a heated debate about which was more corrupt, FIFA or the IOC. It's a tough one, but right now I'd have to say FIFA. I find it utterly mind boggling that Michel Platini, the head of UEFA - and the biggest supporter of the World Cup being awarded to Qatar (Sepp Blatter was actually - and remarkably - opposed to it being given to them) - says that it's purely coincidental that his son Laurent works for Qatar-owned sports company Burrda! Even the IOC would have trouble denying that sort of a link!
    :)) I hadn't heard that. :))
    It's a disgrace that Qatar was awarded it in the first place...now it just looks tawdry and grubby...it's ALL about money - as usual :#
    YNWA 97
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    I was talking to a friend recently and we agreed that seeing a World Cup in person was a bucket-list item. Then reality set in...Brazil (crime-ridden, disorganized)...Russia (not in my top 10 garden spots)...Qatar (nothing to do, plus my friend is proudly Jewish, so, um, no).

Hope I still have a bucket left to kick in 2026! :))
    Hilly...you old devil!
    The whole Qatar episode has BENT written all over it ,INTERPOL should be called in to investigate( those who awarded it)
    their bank accounts X-( X-( X-( X-(
    Heard on the radio that Blatter claims its a racist smear (didn't hear it properly so maybe I'm a bit wrong).

I guess maybe because this could be the nail in his FIFA coffin if there is a revote
    No, you heard it right Welshboy. He said it was racism orchestrated by the British media. He's played this card before whenever he comes under fire for corruption. Unfortunately, it does seem to only be the British who care about corruption at FIFA. You occasionally hear one other football association who kicks up a stink when it affects them directly, but the rest of the time there's a nauseatingly stony silence which is why FIFA are able to continue with their bent ways. There are just too many people who are better off with the status quo and who therefore won't stand up and be counted. It's a shame and ultimately the ones who suffer aren't the players, the football associations or the teams, but the fans.

As I said before, apart from their human rights abuses when it comes to foreign workers (which is a well documented fact and one which I have seen first hand) and the ridiculous suggestion to shift the tournament to winter even though holding it in summer was one of the basics of their bid being accepted, I have nothing against Qatar hosting it...unless they bought the bid in which they should be thrown out of FIFA and anyone who accepted any bribes should be banned for life. But nothing will happen because it never does.

Blatter should also realise that the more often you falsely scream racism, the more damage you do in enabling real racists to thrive.
    The whole Qatar episode has BENT written all over it ,INTERPOL should be called in to investigate( those who awarded it)
    their bank accounts X-( X-( X-( X-(

I didn't realise Darren Bent had made the England squad! :D
    First game - disgraceful penalty decision.

Didnt take long to become a farce did it??

Hope this is not a sign of things to come. First game shows replays are required in this modern game of diving
    started to watch it but got bored watching the same old Prem division guys but just wearing different shirts YAWN
    I was watching The big Bang theory. :)) , I'm not a big
    Football fan but do watch the last few matches. :D
    welshboy78 wrote:
    First game - disgraceful penalty decision.

Didnt take long to become a farce did it??

Hope this is not a sign of things to come. First game shows replays are required in this modern game of diving

This ref is a joke...only I'm not laughing...Neymar should have been sent off...
    YNWA 97
    Challenge on Brazil keeper which resulted in a disallowed goal looked fine to me too!!

Surely its Sayonara for this joke of a ref
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Challenge on Brazil keeper which resulted in a disallowed goal looked fine to me too!!

Surely its Sayonara for this joke of a ref

Indeed ! One error is unfortunate but understandable... But three !!!

Video replays NEED to enforced...and soon.
    YNWA 97
    The referee was another nail in my football coffin. You just don't know whether he's inept, bent or weak. Maybe it's just my 'hard' childhood ( :o ) but i'd rather see someone get away with a bad foul (as long as no injury is involved) than a bad dive. I just find diving so despicable and can't understand how a player can look at himself in the mirror afterwards.
    The referee was another nail in my football coffin. You just don't know whether he's inept, bent or weak. Maybe it's just my 'hard' childhood ( :o ) but i'd rather see someone get away with a bad foul (as long as no injury is involved) than a bad dive. I just find diving so despicable and can't understand how a player can look at himself in the mirror afterwards.

Thats the worse thing about the game nowadays, no self respect. They are not in the slightest embarrassed about going down like they have been shot / rolling around like girls etc even when booed or slated for it in public. It shows how bad the game has become and how deluded FIFA are with regards to stopping it. I see Blatter has finally suggested a team can call two decisions during the match for video replay etc however even if this was approved it will prob take 10 years to finally implement it after trials etc A bit like goal line tech which has taken forever to be used.
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    I know what would make it much better, place Pools of Sharks around the Outside of the Pitch -{
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    edited June 2014
    I like the two-challenges suggestion. It will undoubtedly be abused by some teams in the dying moments of matches, but at least there's a chance that diving cheats, handballs etc will actually pay for their crimes even when the ref misses them. It's just a shame that it's Blatter's idea!

As for the shark pool around the edge, I'd vote for that although there are some players that even sharks wouldn't eat!
    Ha - yeah Blatter is feeling the heat ain't he. Prob why he is now suggesting things everybody has wanted for years and take credit for it!!