FIFA World Cup 2014

Comments

• BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Yes, I was very surprised at how good the USA was, {[] by the way
    Is the "soccer" world cup getting any air time in America ?

I'd say it's getting quite a bit of air time in the U.S. I'm not even a "football" fan, and I'm watching! :))

As reported in one British newspaper today...One English reporter was approached by two Americans and was asked the score of the game that was just played. The reporter answered "2-2"..."a tie" came the reply...then he was asked "who won in overtime ?"..."no one"..."a shootout then ?"...again, "no, a draw"...finally, with exasperation one asked "so how do you know who won ?"

Still a way to go I fear ! :))

Yep! It's gonna take some time! :))
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
  • Sir Hillary BraySir Hillary Bray College of ArmsPosts: 2,174MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    As reported in one British newspaper today...One English reporter was approached by two Americans and was asked the score of the game that was just played. The reporter answered "2-2"..."a tie" came the reply...then he was asked "who won in overtime ?"..."no one"..."a shootout then ?"...again, "no, a draw"...finally, with exasperation one asked "so how do you know who won ?"

I'm guessing that story is made up -- it's about as cliche as you can get.

That said, we Yanks do have our clueless ways. When I lived in London in 1994, I was on my regular Tube ride to the City when a group of American tourists boarded at Hyde Park Corner. There were about 20 of them, and they were spread throughout the car from front to back. When the train approached their stop, the woman in charge yelled loudly in a Midwestern twang, "OK everyone, this is our stop, Lye-Sess-Ter Square!" I cringed inside and buried my head in my newspaper. :# :))
    Hilly...you old devil!
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,612Chief of Staff
    Sir Miles wrote:

I'm guessing that story is made up -- it's about as cliche as you can get.

I wish it was - but I'm afraid it's true...it was reported by a tabloid journalist but he has no reason to make this up....I may have paraphrased his report but it's accurate enough.
    YNWA 97
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Yes, I was very surprised at how good the USA was, {[] by the way
    Is the "soccer" world cup getting any air time in America ?

I'd say it's getting quite a bit of air time in the U.S. I'm not even a "football" fan, and I'm watching! :))

I've had discussions with 2 US citizens last week about european football (I refuse to call it soccer!) and they've asked exactly the same question.
    They could not believe that there was a chance not to have a winner after the match.
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Any views on England's last game, watching yesterday,it
    Looked very poor to me. Maybe the players were " down "
    But I thought as they had nothing to lose, they'd have come
    Out all guns blazing.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Out all guns blazing.

Not everyone behaves like Sir Miles does :D {:)

Bondtoys wrote:
    Out all guns blazing.

Not everyone behaves like Sir Miles does :D {:)

And I was just going to praise you for refusing to call football 'soccer' ! X-(

But maybe everyone should :p
    YNWA 97
    :)) I'm only using "Soccer" as Americans have their own "Football" ( and they're easily confused :p )
    Although I do like Bondtoy's "European Football", I shall use that more in conversation. :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    :)) I'm only using "Soccer" as Americans have their own "Football" ( and they're easily confused :p )
    Although I do like Bondtoy's "European Football", I shall use that more in conversation. :D

Do they not play football in Asia ? Africa ? :o
    YNWA 97
    I don't know I'm only getting in to it. :))
    I don't know I'm only getting in to it. :))

I shouldn't bother...especially when you find out how much money they get for chasing a bit of plastic around some grass :o and for all that money some are really rubbish at it ! These are easily spotted as they normally wear a white top with three lions on it ! :#
    YNWA 97
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    Any views on England's last game, watching yesterday,it
    Looked very poor to me. Maybe the players were " down "
    Out all guns blazing.

I guess we also have to take into account Costa Rica maybe taking their foot of the gas for this game!
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    :))
    Sadly it "30 Years of hurt ....... " and still counting. :#

Still as I know nothing about the game perhaps some one could answer this.
    Always watched the comedy sports show "They think it's all over " and they always made jokes about
    Arsenal being "Villains or criminals " do they have a history of being owned by gansters or something ?
    ( this is like my shorts question )
    Sir Miles wrote:

Football has been invented in the UK and brought to perfection in Germany :p , so that's why I call it European Football :D when I speak with Yankees.

... a bit of banter going on at the internet with Italy's goodbye:

Pizza "Finalstatione":
    Bq9EjfsCUAAM820.jpg

and

Bq9aC-0CYAAXW4R.jpg

Wow, you guys seem to be running into real American rubes. Sorry about that!

By the way, Sir Miles, where did the term "soccer" originate? Oh right, England. :p
    Hilly...you old devil!
    By the way, Sir Miles, where did the term "soccer" originate? Oh right, England. :p

Actually, no one is sure where the term 'soccer' originates from...there is no definitive proof of the term first being used in England...or anywhere else for that matter...and please, please don't quote Wikipedia 8-)

:D
    YNWA 97
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

Football has been invented in the UK and brought to perfection in Germany :p , so that's why I call it European Football :D when I speak with Yankees.

I think you may find that Brazil would have something to say about that ! :v
    YNWA 97
    Brazil?

What has Brazil to do with football? :D

Bondtoys wrote:
    Brazil?

What has Brazil to do with football? :D

Not much - blooming show offs :# :))
    YNWA 97
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    Bondtoys wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

I've had discussions with 2 US citizens last week about european football (I refuse to call it soccer!) and they've asked exactly the same question.
    They could not believe that there was a chance not to have a winner after the match.

I'm not sure why it would be such a shock since ties are possible in American football (the NFL).
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    Bq-1IF-IYAAqVSdjpg-large.jpeg

:)) :)) :))
    That's brilliant {[]
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    very very clever it has put a smile on my face (for once) :)
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    Effective immediately, Suarez is banned for 9 international matches and from all football-related activities for 4 months.

So, in addition to his World Cup immediately being over, he'll miss a bunch of Liverpool matches -- 9 Premier League, 1 Champions League, 1 Capital One Cup.

FIFA says he can be transferred during that time.

What say you, Sir Miles and other Liverpool supporters? Do you move him?
    Hilly...you old devil!
    edited June 2014
    If the figures being banded about with regards to Barca are correct and not tabloid trash (Sanchez plus X Million) then I would say move him on. If he moves then Liverpool need a "big" proven world class signing to replace him, not some young dude with potential. Regardless Liverpool will be weaker without him as evident with this seasons performance - however how much more risk and bad PR can the club take???

I think its not just the biting though, he is clearly very angry (or stupid). His words after the Uruguay England match was very stupid considering he plays his club football in England, he was not only winding up the press but also all the supporters around the country which was unnecessary. His goals did the damage and all the bragging, he could have left it at that and been seen as a class act and not have a rant etc however he could not help himself and had to push things

Surely for those next 4 months he will have his salary suspended since he is banned from even training with the club - interesting to see what happens with regards to that. If I remember correctly the old Chelsea dude from way back actually got sued when he was done for drugs etc and he went to court lost and paid back part of his contract (Mutu?????)

The pundits seem to be divided if he will leave Liverpool or not. One pundit even claimed Barca and Co would not be put off with his ban as he would be better for the club if he is banned from International football (fresh and less chance of injury!!!)

its all still a bit surreal still, can't believe its happened again especially at a WC

PS - Im surprised Shearer has waded in on this issue though after deliberately booting Neil Lennon in the head years back. Could have killed him, he had a dig at Ashley Cole not long ago and Cole put him back in his place mentioning this very incident
    Effective immediately, Suarez is banned for 9 international matches and from all football-related activities for 4 months.

So, in addition to his World Cup immediately being over, he'll miss a bunch of Liverpool matches -- 9 Premier League, 1 Champions League, 1 Capital One Cup.

FIFA says he can be transferred during that time.

What say you, Sir Miles and other Liverpool supporters? Do you move him?

I think the ban isn't fair, why should Liverpool be punished ? When Suarez was banned for Liverpool he could still play for Uruguay - so why this now ?

I think he should have been given a minimum year ban from International football and leave it at that.

I'm being told that Suarez has pretty much decided to move to Barcelona, Liverpool should not stand in his way. He is a tremendous footballer but we can't carry on like this - rumours abound that some sponsors of Liverpool have threatened to end their sponsorship if he stays.

He will be impossible to replace BUT if we bring in three or four players quality players with the money, then we should be alright.

Uruguay are to appeal the ban - which, in my opinion, is stupid....I think they got off lightly.
    YNWA 97
    welshboy78 wrote:
    If the figures being banded about with regards to Barca are correct and not tabloid trash (Sanchez plus X Million) then I would say move him on. If he moves then Liverpool need a "big" proven world class signing to replace him, not some young dude with potential. Regardless Liverpool will be weaker without him as evident with this seasons performance - however how much more risk and bad PR can the club take???

I think its not just the biting though, he is clearly very angry (or stupid). His words after the Uruguay England match was very stupid considering he plays his club football in England, he was not only winding up the press but also all the supporters around the country which was unnecessary. His goals did the damage and all the bragging, he could have left it at that and been seen as a class act and not have a rant etc however he could not help himself and had to push things

Surely for those next 4 months he will have his salary suspended since he is banned from even training with the club - interesting to see what happens with regards to that. If I remember correctly the old Chelsea dude from way back actually got sued when he was done for drugs etc and he went to court lost and paid back part of his contract (Mutu?????)

The pundits seem to be divided if he will leave Liverpool or not. One pundit even claimed Barca and Co would not be put off with his ban as he would be better for the club if he is banned from International football (fresh and less chance of injury!!!)

its all still a bit surreal still, can't believe its happened again especially at a WC

PS - Im surprised Shearer has waded in on this issue though after deliberately booting Neil Lennon in the head years back. Could have killed him, he had a dig at Ashley Cole not long ago and Cole put him back in his place mentioning this very incident

In regards to Suarez's comments after the England match - it was the opening moves in engineering a move, as were his lawyers comments about the English and Italian press's 'witch hunt' of him.

You are right about the player too - it was Adrian Mutu.

As for suspending his salary - I don't think you can, it could breach his contract and he could leave on a free ! And I think you can only fine him a maximum of two weeks...although I'm not 100% sure on those...
    YNWA 97
    Thought it was Mutu! I think he actually went bankrupt as he had to pay back millions!!

Will be interesting to see the Suarez statement after all this today. Wonder what would have happened if he apologised straight after the match and held his hands up, can't imagine the denial and bad advice from his advisors would have done much good for him ban length wise. I think Uruguay will be stubborn about it all
    fahne-deutschland_5.gif