FIFA World Cup 2014

Comments

• Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,610Chief of Staff
    Well ! Bye bye Spain ! That's a bit of a shock...people knew they weren't the team of old but they are better than that.
    YNWA 97
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,294MI6 Agent
    Pisco flowing in my house tonite!

Spain just looked out of ideas. Nothing up front, Costa looks like he might be another Chelsea Torres!
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    I did feel before the tournament started that Spain's time was likely up, but I didn't imagine it would all be so quick and dramatic. They just looked devoid of inspiration, energy and even confidence in both matches. The manner in which they went out was quite a shock. It would be lovely to see Australia win next week because the Aussies battled so hard against Holland today and were perhaps unfortunate to lose. However, without Cahill for their final match, I think they'll struggle.
    Yeah felt sorry for the Aussies today.

Which Oz player was it thru on goal but decided to cross it instead? Very bizarre and it led to the Dutch scoring 30 seconds later
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Speaking as someone who knows nothing about football
    ( I don't even know why they wear Lycra shorts,under their normal shorts )
    After watching various news programmes, I have to say. The pressure
    On Wayne Rooney must be enormous.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    ( I don't even know why they wear Lycra shorts,under their normal shorts )
    After watching various news programmes, I have to say. The pressure
    On Wayne Rooney must be enormous.

Nah he is used to being under pressure!

When your wife finds out you have been a naughty boy with granny hookers - thats real pressure!
    ( I don't even know why they wear Lycra shorts,under their normal shorts ) .

They wear them to support the muscles and reduce vibration - which causes fatigue...apparently !
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:

They wear them to support the muscles and reduce vibration - which causes fatigue...apparently !

i thought it was because it was cool in the early 90s :D
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

i thought it was because it was cool in the early 90s :D

Or just bragging that they have something big to keep in place :D
    YNWA 97
    Oh !, I'll definitely have to get a pair, I'd need that extra support. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    Only TP would know what they wear under there Shorts :))
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    :))
    It's actually a question I always wanted to ask, as I couldn't
    Figure out why they were worn, but didn't want to come
    Across as knowing nothing about football. As the men in
    The local pub would look at me with shame, and probably
    ask me to leave. :D
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    This must be the shortest Time we have spent in the FIFA World Cup 8-)
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • Rainier WolfcastleRainier Wolfcastle Posts: 484MI6 Agent
    Will the queen resign tomorrow just like the Spanish king?
    No Way, but a few names may be crossed off the new years honours list. ;)
    Rooney gets his world cup Goal ! {[]
    There are bandwagon-jumpers jumping off the bandwagon. They think it's all over....it is now!

There we went, there we went, there we went...
    There we went, there we went, there we we..e..e..ent...

Gerrard gets one good pass/cross/ball in in the whole tournament, figures it would be to Suarez.
    Suarez - World Class -{
    YNWA 97
    No passion is there? Gerrard and Co can't even be arsed to sing their National Anthem!
    You don't get passion from singing anthems...the players just aren't good enough and that's the truth.
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    You don't get passion from singing anthems...the players just aren't good enough and that's the truth.

Respectfully disagree mate, Chile were fired up singing their anthem yesterday, it made them proud, emotional and scared the **** out of Spain before they even kicked off. They were fired up from the get go!!
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

Respectfully disagree mate, Chile were fired up singing their anthem yesterday, it made them proud, emotional and scared the **** out of Spain before they even kicked off. They were fired up from the get go!!

That's fine...no problem...but singing can't make you a better player...Spain are a shot team and Chile are skilful but I don't see them selling many albums :))
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:

That's fine...no problem...but singing can't make you a better player...Spain are a shot team and Chile are skilful but I don't see them selling many albums :))

Of course but motivation / pride / psyche etc, important attributes. I knew from the get go Uruguay wanted it more.
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:

Of course but motivation / pride / psyche etc, important attributes. I knew from the get go Uruguay wanted it more.

To be fair Uruguay have the better players and were poor in their opening game - so they were always going to "want it more"...but pride and passion will only get you so far, it's not enough at this level...
    YNWA 97
    Unfortunately, the success of the Premier League has been the downfall of the national side. Why work with the academy kids and nurture them into starters for several years when you can buy a ready-made French/Spanish/African player? The prime example are English goalkeepers: we used to consistently have one of the best goalkeepers in the world now we have Joe Hart, who I like, but he's never going to be one of the ten best in the world. Goalkeepers don't hit their peak until they're at least 27-28 so why train an 18 year old English goalkeeper to be a world beater when you can buy the finished article overseas for comparatively next-to-nothing? It's not that English goalkeepers have suddenly become bad, it's that they'll never get a chance to develop in the Premiership and therefore they're doomed to stagnate in the Championship or in the reserves.

For years, Liverpool and Arsenal rarely had a British player on the bench, never mind an English one on the pitch. And while things have improved at Liverpool under Rodgers, champions Manchester City now have one English starter (Hart) and one regular substitute (Milner)...and that's it, pretty much. It's all got far less to do with English players having less skill than it is that supporters demand instant success and as the most-watched league in the world, there's so much money floating around that few managers will risk their heads to bring players up through their own system when they can buy someone overseas.

Unless a young English player is absolutely outstanding by age 21, none of the top Premiership sides will give him a chance to train and grow with the first team stars. If he's lucky, he may get a chance to play with a bottom-half Prem side, but in many cases they end up in the First Division where their development stagnates. Serie A and La Liga are wealthy, but - apart from Barca/Real Madrid/Juve - neither has anywhere near the money that the Prem has, so you still see far more domestic talent in those leagues, the same with the Bundesliga.

Hodgson has made mistakes unquestionably, but the awful reality is that Glenn Johnson likely is the best English RB and - John Terry aside - Cahill and Jagielka likely really are our best centre-back pairing. How sad is that? Ten years ago, players of their calibre would have been lucky to have made the England squad!
  • cheldcheld Posts: 300MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Or just bragging that they have something big to keep in place :D

Yes, their egos.
    I agree with 99% of everything The Domino Effect wrote...but Liverpool have always had a few English players and I'm not sure which 'years' you are referring too...?

I've watched quite a few Under 21 matches this last season - and most of the teams are packed with foreign talent...but there does seem to be more English players playing at Under 18 level...

welshboy78 please don't think I was arguing with you...it was merely a different opinion...I hope I didn't offend you.
    YNWA 97
    Well, Sir Miles, Liverpool were the first team to play in an FA Cup Final without a single English player in the starting XI, that was 1986, but that's not what I meant. :D

I was actually thinking of the absence of Academy players (and Scottish and Irish-scouted players) that Liverpool have had recently - particularly during the Rafa years. I should have specified. There were indeed English players during that time like Crouch, Warnock etc, but the only Academy players who've been consistent first team players until the last season or two were Gerrard and Carragher. We had little bits of others, but none ever really broke through. It was such a shame because Liverpool were always so connected to the local community and had a huge following north of the border and across the water because they always had such a high content of local lads etc, but Rafa seemed to turn away from those traditional recruiting grounds and instead shop in Spain etc. Apart from Stevie G and Carragher, the only consistent England players during Rafa's reign had been bought. That's why it's good to see the likes of Kelly and Flanagan doing well but it's still a long way from the days when Liverpool's academy and scouts were churning out great British and Irish talent regularly.
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    the question is , not why did we loose ? but why did we expect to win ? until we can get rid of the bloated buffoons at the F,A, and get a team manager who has an ounce of charisma /style /class/ get up and go ect we will always be crap X-(
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    the question is , not why did we loose ? but why did we expect to win ? until we can get rid of the bloated buffoons at the F,A, and get a team manager who has an ounce of charisma /style /class/ get up and go ect we will always be crap X-(

It's funny that you asked that, but not one of my friends expected us to get out of the group...and we were all correct! Maybe it's because we're all in our 40s and have come to know what to expect, but the reality is we were always going to be fortunate to get to the next round and anything beyond that was as likely as Eddie Izzard being cast as James Bond. Anyone who genuinely felt England had a chance of winning the World Cup either doesn't know a thing about football or is delusional.

You are bang-on with your comments. We need a strong FA that stands up to the Premier League and doesn't constantly cow-tow to them.