Anything Good on TV ?

Comments

• Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,693MI6 Agent
    There's a very interesting sounding Storyville documentary on BBC Four tonight at 9pm called Himmler: The Decent One. I will certainly be recording this as a big History buff. -{
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    There's a very interesting sounding Storyville documentary on BBC Four tonight at 9pm called Himmler: The Decent One. I will certainly be recording this as a big History buff. -{

Himmler and decent ,in the same sentence ,that's a first 8-) but that's the Beeb for you ,
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    I never imagined the words Himmler and Decent would appear in the same sentence
    Apart from " We gave Himmler a decent burial " , I'll hopefully catch it on the I player.

You beat me to it AS. :))
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Silhouette ManSilhouette Man The last refuge of a scoundrelPosts: 8,693MI6 Agent
    Yes, it was how he saw himself in his letters - it's self-referential. Just to point that out. Interesting title though designed to pull the viewer in I suspect. Here's the blurb from the Storyville site:

Through previously undiscovered private letters, photos and diaries that were found in the Himmler family house in 1945, this documentary exposes a unique and at times uncomfortable access to the life and mind of the merciless 'architect of the Final Solution', Heinrich Himmler. Himmler writes, 'In life one must always be decent, courageous and kind-hearted'. How can a man be a hero in his own eyes and a mass murderer in the eyes of the world?

The text of the film consists exclusively of original documents from Himmler's lifetime, combined with news and personal archive from sources ranging from the descendants of top Nazis to working-class individuals. It forms a unique portrait of one the most prominent figures of the Third Reich, the SS commander Heinrich Himmler.
    "The tough man of the world. The Secret Agent. The man who was only a silhouette." - Ian Fleming, Moonraker (1955).
    It should be interesting as I was always told Himmler based most of his crazy
    Ideas on breeding etc, from chickens. 8-)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    edited April 2015
    I'm reminded of a DVD I have of David Frost interviewing three controversial figures from the 1960s, one of them being the former leader of the British Union of Fascists Oswald Mosley as an older man. At the end, he summed up his approach to life with the following,

"In life always try to do things gently and only get tough when you have to get tough."

Of course David Frost cleaned the floor with him summing him up with "In life always try to go things gently". :))
    It should be interesting as I was always told Himmler based most of his crazy
    Ideas on breeding etc, from chickens. 8-)

Yes, he was a crank and a failed chicken farmer who took part in Hitler's failed Munich Putsch in November 1923.
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    They had some brilliant stories, I always remember an inner circle coup to
    Take over Britain. With some politicians killed and other officials arrested,
    With Harry and a civil rights leader about to be burned alive ! A Brilliant
    Series. I remember the recruiting numbers for MI5 increased dramatically
    when the series started. :D Although I'm sure real " secret service " work
    would be pretty boring. I like to think 24 copied us. ;)

I was a huge fan of Spooks (called MI5 in the U.S.) I wasn't aware a movie was in the works, but I am definitely looking forward to seeing it.
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    I had no idea either until ( I think MooreThan) posted a link to the trailer.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=smidRILQBuk
    Which looks good, and unlike spectre, we don't have to wait too long. ;)
  • BlackleiterBlackleiter Washington, DCPosts: 5,615MI6 Agent
    I had no idea either until ( I think MooreThan) posted a link to the trailer.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=smidRILQBuk
    Which looks good, and unlike spectre, we don't have to wait too long. ;)

You're right, that does look good. Thanks for sharing it! -{
    "Felix Leiter, a brother from Langley."
    edited April 2015
    The BBC Four programme on Himmler was all in German with English subtitles. Saw a bit of it. I recorded it so I can see it all later. -{
    I enjoyed seeing the first episode of new comedy Peter Kay's Car Share on BBC1 at 9.30 pm last night. The second episode is on tonight same place, same time. Recommended. :) -{
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    I'll have to give it a go ... seen nothing but reviews for this programme.
  • AlphaOmegaSinAlphaOmegaSin EnglandPosts: 10,924MI6 Agent
    I avoid anything with Peter Kay :#
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
    I do like him ( love Phoenix Nights) but thought this show, funny enough but
    Not brilliant, it might grow on me given time. ;)
    As long as its nothing like that pile of s**t Pompidou ,by Matt Lucas ,my god that's awfull
    I think that the Quality of British Comedy really has gone down the Drain :#

We had brilliant Program's like OFAH, Blackadder, Open All Hours, Rising Damp, Some Mothers Do Av Em, etc..
    1.On Her Majesties Secret Service 2.The Living Daylights 3.license To Kill 4.The Spy Who Loved Me 5.Goldfinger
  • ACACIA_AVENUEACACIA_AVENUE UKPosts: 1,774MI6 Agent
    I avoid anything with Peter Kay :#
    What even garlic bread? :D

'Up Pompei' gets my vote -{
    One of us smells like a tart's handkerchief.
    Lady Rose wrote:

In an unprecedented event the BBC has already released the whole series of Car Share on the BBC iPlayer. I think it should develop nicely as it goes along - it's difficult to judge it on just the opening episode. -{
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,593Chief of Staff
    Lady Rose wrote:

In an unprecedented event the BBC has already released the whole series of Car Share on the BBC iPlayer. I think it should develop nicely as it goes along - it's difficult to judge it on just the opening episode. -{

It's difficult to watch this as all the roads are mixed up...you go from Bolton, various parts of Manchester and then Irlam o'th Heights and back again...clever use of a dirty back window so you don't have to bother with continuity ;)
    It had its moments...not really 'laugh-out-loud' funny though...
    YNWA 97
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Lady Rose wrote:

It's difficult to watch this as all the roads are mixed up...you go from Bolton, various parts of Manchester and then Irlam o'th Heights and back again...clever use of a dirty back window so you don't have to bother with continuity ;)
    It had its moments...not really 'laugh-out-loud' funny though...

No, it's more amiably amusing but as I say you have to give it a chance. I've only seen the one episode, mind. :) -{

And yes, I too spotted the dirty back window but as I come from NI I wouldn't know the roads over there! :))
    Just caught up with Car Share. Really enjoyed and if it gives me one LOL moment per episode that's OK by me .... And I wish Forever FM was a real radio station :))
    Sadly no :(
    Yep!, love the show. I know nothing about the rebuild of the car but it's a
    Great show. -{
    Ok Stag you've got me thinking now ....

When I first joined we had the SD1's. A single rotating light was on the area cars and the double rotating light was on the traffic cars.

Pretty sure there were some with the bar light but that was later on.

Just flicking through google images and there are a couple of pics of 'C' reg Rover with the single light and the one featured in the programme was 'C' reg too ....

They did say it was a unique car in that Grampian Police had special commissioned it and it was Grampian Police that bought it for their museum.

The problem is, once any of these things end up in private ownership they will be messed about with but I think they did a pretty good job. I seen a few complaints on line about the siren.

Just hoped it smelt of old kebab and cigarettes to be truly authentic ... :))
    The SD1 the MET had , had to have all the wheels changed to Minilite alloys ,due to the constant stop start ,because all the brakes used to over heat and fail . Our force , never used the Rover ,they had 3ltr Vauxhall Senators ,then went over to Volvo estates ,for traffic and ARV use .They are fleeted out now with SKODAS .My favourite vehicle to drive was an ex PSU carrier , Some one in vehicle ops had shoe horned a 3.5 ltr Rover V8 engine in in (I don't know why) ,but after all the cages.armour had been stripped off ,this thing (with a 4 speed manual box) went like s**T of a shovel,
    The Met have had just about every vehicle under the sun ... along with the Rovers, there were Senators, Volvo Estates and Skodas ...

When we first got the Astras as response cars they were notorious for suffering 'brake fade'. Made life very interesting :)) :))
    Range Rovers have featured from time to time. Mainly to ferry Senior officers around :))
    Anyone watching " The Game" a spy drama set in the mid 70s. Very much in the
    John le Carré, style of gritty real life MI5 work. -{ it has a great cast, some strong
    Performances. Even the opening titles are fantastic, combining British and Soviet
    Imagery of the time.
    I've probably missed it now, but what Channel was it?