Anything Good on TV ?

Comments

• Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,276MI6 Agent
    I take it we've all been watching Mark Kermode's documentaries on Movies, on BBC4? Terrific stuff. I wonder if our American friends have access to it anywhere?

Last night he covered Horror, and I do have to say I think OHMSS suffers from not adopting the horror tropes in the novel, which appears to be based on Dracula. It has the potential to be a very eerie film, and the novel has that, but it's not really there. I'm sometimes put back to the Bond films when watching the series, in particular when he covered the Heist genre.

Kermode gave away the ending to Night of the Living Dead though :( , so I didn't bother watching much of that afterwards. The Hitchcock shower movie doc after that, which I'd seen before, is great though.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • IanFryerIanFryer Posts: 327MI6 Agent
    It's always tough when writing about older films - in the 1980s a song called Norman Bates made the charts which totally blew the ending of Psycho, which I hadn't seen at that point. But it's one of the most famous movies ever made and pretty much everyone else knew who the killer was.

To be fair to Kermode, whom I find enormously entertaining when talking about film, I think some spoilering is inevitable in this type of show. The heist movie, for example, is dependent on the plan going wrong at some point and examples have to be given.
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    He's the only critic I listen to. As I find myself agreeing
    With him, most times :)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    I don't always agree with him, but I love his knowledge, enthusiasm and expressiveness.
    Of course, presenters know to pronounce it KER-mode, not 'Commode', so he's the Hyacinth Bucket of film reviewers! :D

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    I think "Sweden's fattest dogs" might be the stupidest, emptiest and blandest TV program this summer, but I can't say for sure without having seen it :#
  • FrigilianaFrigiliana Posts: 164MI6 Agent
    If you've got Netflix and you don't mind subtitles this is well worth checking out Babylon Berlin very high quality production .

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt4378376/?ref_=nv_sr_2
  • Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent
    edited August 2018
    Skyfall ITV2 tonight I must have known I had this on my wrist :D

image.jpg

Edit: And SPECTRE on Sunday - bonus a Bond weekend!

Cheers :007)
    My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!
    DSt_Wc9a_X4_AA_np_O.jpg

She's playing all the right notes, but not necessarily sat on my face....

BBC Proms, Grieg's Piano Concerto, last night.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    First episode of BBC1 Bodyguard was good tonight from the team that made Line of duty .

https://www.radiotimes.com/news/tv/2018-08-26/when-does-keeley-hawes-drama-bodyguard-begin-on-bbc1-what-is-it-about/
    Just watched that myself. Not what I was expecting at all - very interesting stuff.
    "The Guardian's Lucy Mangan gave it five stars and wrote: "The first 20 minutes of Bodyguard would be pure James Bond if it were not for the fear and doubt that convulse Budd when he is preparing to do his flinging or his saving.
    I have enjoyed it, but it's also bollocks imo.

I mean, really, a bodyguard to the Home Secretary would have his phone tapped as a matter of routine, and would have massive background checks. MI5 does this for the hell of it, it doesn't need a reason. Everyone is spying on everyone else. It's what they do. Hearing him be a bit loose cannon on the phone to his wife would cause alarm bells to ring.

I will be tuning in on Sunday anyway. And it does make me wonder - why not get the director to do Bond? I mean, why do they always have to go for a 'name' movie director who often drags his own nonsense into the film?

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    I'd give Jed Mercurio a go at writing a Bond script as well .
    Just watched the first two episodes of "Bodyguard " on
    BBC I player. I don't know how realistic it is but I did
    Enjoy it, it has an interesting story.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Theresa May switched off "The Bodyguard" after twenty minutes according to The Independent....
    ..... to practice her dancing perhaps ? :D
    It fakes a bold woman to go to Africa to dance i :))
    Looking forward to watching this tonight BBC1 9:15pm Killing Eve.

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7016936/?ref_=nv_sr_1
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    The First, on Hulu, about the first manned mission to Mars, starring Sean Penn and Natascha McElhone (sic?)...very well-written, focusing more on character development and drama than sci-fi action. I’m guessing season 2 will have more outer space in it. But very engaging as of 4 episodes watched of an 8-episode season.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    Yeah, Killing Eve is pretty damn good. Move over Fatima Blush, there's a new psycho killer in town!

It's like Bond back when 'Bond' was allowed to be naughty and sexy.

Only it's different by having Sandra Oh of Grey's Anatomy (which I've never seen) as the thrown in the deep end sleuth going after Villanelle (Jodie Comer), because normally it would be a bloke going after her, and it would either be a) Man gets to assert his 'natural' supremacy over upstart hussy or b) Femme fetale sticks it to the bloke and it's a film noir - isn't life unjust? But both those plotlines are played out now, we've seen it all before, so how will this play out with two female protagonists?

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    The second season of Iron Fist is on Netflix (US). The first season was a yawner and I decided to peek in on the second just to see if it was better. To my delight, it is. MUCH better. Stronger storyline, better villains, better action scenes, and Finn Jones seems a little more at-ease as the title character. So much for the sophomore jinx. . .
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Well put Napoleon Plural, were being spoilt at the moment on UK tv with some quality series two more worth checking out Black Earth Rising written, directed and produced by Hugo Blick .

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt7660730/?ref_=nv_sr_1

Also a bit of fun Cop comedy drama not sure how you'd categorise No Offence . Third series first one was excellent not so much the second this one is looking good , the Forensic detective has some brilliant one liners .
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt3922704/?ref_=nv_sr_1
    The Bodyguard is also great, last episode this coming
    Sunday.
    The Bodyguard's been excellent , Thunderpussy did you watch Line of Duty? written by the same guy very good , he seems to have a signature style of cross table interrogation where they pull some incriminating evidence out only to be dumb struck when they come back at them with equally damming stuff , edge of seat .
    Yes, I enjoyed Line of duty, and have just watched the first episode of Killing Eve. Very good indeed -{
    Last episode of Bodyguard, bit silly but absorbing.

Best laugh comes when a rigged-up David Budd says 'It's going to be a while, I'm walking home...' and someone shouts out, 'What, all the way to bloody Scotland?'

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Watched the last episode of "Bodyguard" on the BBC i Player, and loved it -{
    A great series, I was totally hooked from the tension filled first episode.
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Last night I finished Fukananga's latest series "Maniac" and was very moved by it and its handling of mental illness.
    This looks good on BBC4 tonight documentary film about Hedy Lamarr.\

https://www.tvguide.co.uk/detail/3084024/142566052/bombshell-the-hedy-lamarr-story-2017