Anything Good on TV ?

Comments

• ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    X-( Yes I too found out that B99 had been cancelled. One of the best comedies ever, constantly funny.
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,802MI6 Agent
    Has anyone here seen the drama series "Jamestown"?
    There are two reasons why I ask: NRK will start showing "Jamestown" on Sunday, probably starting with 'Crossing the Atlantic - minute by minute". :))
    The other reason is Sophie Rundle, who is in the cast and has been mentioned by questionable sources as a candidate for the "understudy" role in Bond25. I have to do my research, it's my duty! :007)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Watching a Sky documentary on the Sky Arts channel about James Cagney. I was
    amazed to learn that he was one of the first actors who wouldn't work with live
    ammunition, but demanded "Blanks". Apparently in the films of the 20s and 30s
    they used real bullets ! :o .... Now that was some crazy Health and safety :D
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,948MI6 Agent
    edited May 2018
    more info about the SCTV reunion in todays Toronto Star

Jimmy Kimmel will be filming a group interview with surviving members this weekend (actually today Sunday May 13th, its probably already wrapped up), and the interview footage will be part of a larger documentary Martin Scorsese is putting together, to be released in 2019.
    Surviving members being Joe Flaherty, Eugene Levy, Andrea Martin, Rick Moranis, Catherine O’Hara, Martin Short and Dave Thomas. John Candy and Harold Ramis have unfortunately left us too soon.
    The Second City Theatre's website has a whole page about it too, with more info.

Scorsese is a good documentarian, so that is something to look forwards to!
    Sure hope it comes out on dvd, cuz I threw my teevee set out the window years ago.

It was three hours, including a Greatest Hits montage for the late John Candy. Unless Scorsese's project is to be a mini-series, we won't be seeing most of that in a feature length documentary, so I am officially jealous of the audience that got to attend.
    Just bought season 1 of The Orville on google movies -{
    Absolutely love this show. It has all the optimism and
    Fun feeling from the original Star Trek.
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    I know, I'm absolutely stoked about it! After it was cancelled the huge fan response around social media and all the articles around the net praising the show was amazing - probably why NBC decided to pick it up. It was definitely a emotional rollercoaster 24 hour period though when it was cancelled by Fox, then passed by all the streaming services and finally and thankfully picked up. A truely wonderful show and I'm glad we will be getting more of it -{ :x
    Just bought season 1 of The Orville on google movies ajb007/martini
    Absolutely love this show. It has all the optimism and
    Fun feeling from the original Star Trek.
    Yes, I can't wait for season 2! Starting watching it not knowing anything about the plot or cast other than it stared and was created by Seth McFarlane (long time fan) so I thought I'd give it a go and I throughly enjoyed it - like you said, it's a lot of fun!
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,285MI6 Agent
    Last night's The Windsors was a hoot.

I laughed out loud at the arrival in Windsor of The Tramp Catcher, played by Paul 'Dennis Pennis' Kaye, who I see from his imdb thread has been in the Game of Thrones.

This comedy is brilliant stuff, esp the way the minor players snip at each others' heels. For those who haven't seen it, the whole thing is a spin on the actual Royal family, only through a somewhat distorted or exaggerated mirror. It just rips the piss out of the whole thing, but you can't help thinking the actual Royal family would enjoy it on some level too.

I bet the makers had their hearts in their mouth so to speak about Meghan's dad and his illness, to see whether they'd have to spike the show.

For that reason perhaps we don't see anyone playing The Queen or HRH Prince Philip, lest their sudden death lead to an entire series being cannned. Even if it happened between series, it would nix any repeats.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,285MI6 Agent
    The Windsors - the Directors' Cut

A revisiting of the above, with better sunshine but less jokes. No evidence of the Trampcatcher, sadly.

Meghan did look lovely actually, some nice expressions.

Bishop Michael Bruce Curry, hmmm, bit different there? Hijacking the wedding to spread his message of love to the watching world. Not sure the Royals were quite on board with that one, in fact I think 'Boom Shak a Lak' would have gone down better. Then again, why not? Having so many black faces in the chapel did make a difference, I mean all we've heard about in the national narrative is stuff about knife violence and being deported. It was a culture shock but could make a real difference.

Fergie's daughters should get their own show. They're like Corgi juniors. Perhaps the Queen should adopt them, now she's out of Corgis. Have them run errands and feed them biscuits.

The Daily Mail is a hoot today, banging on about inclusitivity and then following it up with some illegal immigrant story as if to say okay, that's enough of that! Followed - get this - by a double page spread on Bond's first interracial relationship in Live and Let Die, where he shags a black bird, cos that's what Harry's doing! (Not counting the Orientals in YOLT, one supposes). It's taken from Roger Moore's diaries, and where they got permission to run that in this context, nobody knows. The Mail is like someone's embarrassing uncle at a wedding.

And Amanda Platell is on fine bitchy form too.

Anyway, these Royal Wedding events do sweep you along a bit whatever your attitude going into it.
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • always shakenalways shaken LondonPosts: 6,287MI6 Agent
    Well we are going to watch the FA cup got the beers in ,Chelsea v Man Utd as a Londoner I should be cheering on the blues , but it's Utd for me , I've got Utd to win 3-1 , come on you reds
    By the way, did I tell you, I was "Mad"?
    Enjoyed the Royal Wedding, who doesn't enjoy a bit of pomp and circumstance -{
    Also nice to learn that one of the titles Harry gets is Baron of Kilkeel, which
    is very close to where I live. So I'm hoping a visit might be on the cards soon.
    Get the tea pot ready TP,I'm sure Harry would love a good cuppa with you
    I think, I'd get Harry to make the tea ....... so I could chat with Meghan ;)
    Off for the week and caught This Morning ( ITV) . This is
    Obviously the show for nut cases to display their affliction.
    After the flat Earthers, today it was the Earth Angles. Angles
    Trying to make people feel better by talking to their pets etc !
    No talk of ending wars or stopping world hunger. :))
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    I've now binge watched The Alienist, and enjoyed
    It a lot. I do think it drags for a couple of episodes
    But is well worth a watch. I hope it gets a second
    Series......... and how about Luke Evans as a possible
    Bond contender ? The other Welsh Bond was brilliant. ;)

I've finally had a chance to start watching this but found the first episode very slow.

It's not as good as 'Ripper Street' and not as well made as 'Penny Dreadful' .

Shall I persevere ?

(Agree about Luke Evans though)
    I did think the series had a little "Padding" in places, but I enjoyed it.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Several years ago I read the overrated novel on which the series was based; watching the series reminded me of why I didn't particularly care for the book: its gaminess. Something about transvestite boy prostitutes just doesn't make for an appealing time killer. Plus Dakota Fanning still looks 12. . .I couldn't take her seriously in a big-kid role.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
    Hardyboy wrote:
    Several years ago I read the overrated novel on which the series was based; watching the series reminded me of why I didn't particularly care for the book: its gaminess. Something about transvestite boy prostitutes just doesn't make for an appealing time killer. Plus Dakota Fanning still looks 12. . .I couldn't take her seriously in a big-kid role.

Actually, I had an issue with Dakota Fanning too ... not sure why though.

I may watch another but it certainly hasn't gripped me.
    It is reported that Matt LeBlanc is quitting Top Gear.
    Much as I like the new Top Gear, I'm guessing this may
    Be the end. Unless they do a radical makeover on the
    Show.
    It is reported that Matt LeBlanc is quitting Top Gear.
    Much as I like the new Top Gear, I'm guessing this may
    Be the end. Unless they do a radical makeover on the
    Show.

Or maybe the stars are aligning :v

The Grand Tour has finished, the new Top Gear hasn't been well received .... Maybe Clarkson & Co could come back ??
  • MarkOOMarkMarkOOMark Posts: 91MI6 Agent
    Lady Rose wrote:
    .... Maybe Clarkson & Co could come back ??

I can't see that happening... I'm not sure how GT is doing ratings wise, but compared to TG it's quality programming and they'll continue doing what they do on Amazon. The BBC attempting to keep the old TG format with different presenters was a huge mistake, that simply didn't work. TG needs to stop aping what went before, as it was all about Clarkson, Hammond and May; the content was secondary. To be honest I'm bored of the format regardless of presenters, but I will watch GT over TG any day... in fact I don't watch TG at all as is quite sad and embarrassing.

I/we (the family) don't watch much TV at all, but we do love Springwatch on BBC2 at the moment... Wildlife beats stupid cars any day, even an Aston :D
    No ! No ! No ....... Cars are for driving OVER wildlife !! :p :D
    Funny you should say that TP I was driving home last week through Thetford forest after visiting the old bag (my mum) and there was this massive deer dead at the side of the road ,I mean this thing was huge . I thought it was a dead horse , my first thought was Christ ,I'd hate to see the state of the car that hit that , but then I thought this poor majestic creature had lost its life to a car ,we can replace the car , but this beautiful animal was no more :# :# :#
  • MarkOOMarkMarkOOMark Posts: 91MI6 Agent

Tut-tut... :)) having said that I did murder a few hundred insects today... I did try to avoid them for a while, much to the annoyance of of other road users, plus they are easier to clean off than cyclists. :p
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    MarkOOMark wrote:

Tut-tut... :)) having said that I did murder a few hundred insects today... I did try to avoid them for a while, much to the annoyance of of other road users, plus they are easier to clean off than cyclists. :p
    :)) :))
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Currently enjoying Low Winter Sun on fox. Stars mark strong and is about crooked Detroit cops!
  • IanFryerIanFryer Posts: 327MI6 Agent
    UK viewers can catch Odd Man Out (1947), possibly the greatest film ever made in a British studio, at 2.05pm this afternoon on Talking Pictures TV. It really is a wonderful movie. I'm at work so will miss it, but might pop the BluRay on tonight.
    Just started watching " Altered Carbon " on Netflix.
    Looks very good.
  • Mr SnowMr Snow Station "J" JamaicaPosts: 1,736MI6 Agent
    Not on TV at present (but has been so no doubt many have seen it) and is not a movie (so wasn't sure where to post this) but I just finished watching the mini-series 'Trapped' (on Blu-Ray) from Iceland over the past 4 nights. Absolutely brilliant. Very well acted, beautifully shot and a great storyline.

For anyone who hasn't seen it and are concerned about subtitles - don't be. It is really easy to follow and a great show with lots of twists and turns.

One suggestion: while watching, put your heater or a heavy jumper on (or both) . ;) Highly recommended - the show and the jumper. -{
    "Everyone knows rock n' roll attained perfection in 1974; It's a scientific fact". - Homer J Simpson
  • DrydenDryden UKPosts: 131MI6 Agent
    Just started 'Narcos' on Netflix - what a superb production.