Comments

• Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Gymkata wrote:
    Agreed, MINDHUNTER was great.

And there's going to be a second series :D
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,795MI6 Agent
    edited February 2018
    Operation Musketoon

I'm really looking forward to the documentary series Operasjon Muskedunder/Operation Musketoon It will start on Norwegian TV tomorrow. I have no idea if it will be shown in other countries. Two ex-special forces soldiers who will wear and use WWII gear to recreate a sabotage mission that happened in 1942. The plan was for ten British soldiers from No. 2 Commando and two agents from Norwegian Special Operations Executive (Company Linge) to blow up a hydropower plant in Glomfjord in Northern Norway. The unit was transported to the coast by a Free French submarine, then walked to the target in the ryggen landscape. Then they planned to escape to Swede by foot. It was because of this mission Hitler issued the infamous Kommandobefehl ("Commando Order") stating that captured commandoes in uniform could be executed, in direct contradiction to the rules of war.
    The two modern day ex-SF soldiers will follow the same route and copy the WWII events as closely as possible.

Article in English: http://www.wikiwand.com/en/Operation_Musketoon

Trailer (in perfectly clear Norwegian)
    https://youtu.be/SyhA_AUs7Ac

04%20Ub%C3%A5t%20Bj%C3%A6rangfjord.jpg?Width=1920&Height=840

I%20Jan%20baalsrud1.jpg

P1000108.jpg?Width=1158&Height=651

19%20Gjennskaper%20eksplosjonen.jpg?Width=1158&Height=651
    I just saw the first episode. If you get the chance to watch this documentary and you're interested in WWII and special operations you're enjoy it a lot!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Not on TV but on bbc radio 4 there's a new comedy " Life on Egg" which is
    very, very funny. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Top Gear is Back -{ ( not as good as the Grand Tour ) but still fun :)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
    Enjoying a new daytime detective show on bbc1.
    Shakespeare and Hathaway ( with a friendly
    Police woman called Marlowe ;) ) a light hearted
    Slightly comedic detective programme.
    Still Game back on BBC 1. Still one of the funniest
    Shows around. -{
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,573Chief of Staff
    Still Game back on BBC 1. Still one of the funniest
    Shows around. -{

Absolutely loved the first episode :D

Plus Not Going Out was on just before it...it’s in its ninth series and it’s just as funny now as it’s always been -{
    YNWA 97
  • CoolHandBondCoolHandBond Mactan IslandPosts: 6,213MI6 Agent
    Just caught up with the latest season of Inside No. 9 - quite simply brilliant.
    Yeah, well, sometimes nothin' can be a real cool hand.
    Inside No 9 is fantastic -{ and one of the funniest episodes of Not Going Out
    was the car trip to France :D I think anyone who has gone on a car trip with
    kids can identify with all that happens. From getting lost to kids being sick,
    and the arguments :))
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    Netflix in the US now has the British show The Frankenstein Chronicles. A lot of you know I have a Ph.D. in British Lit (why else do you think I call myself Hardyboy and have TH as my avatar?), and so this program for me is a funhouse of allusions: a mad scientist trying to replicate the work of Victor Frankenstein; clues provided by William Blake (played by Octopussy's own Steven Berkoff); cameo appearances by Mary Shelley; a dogged young reporter who calls himself "Boz;" Ada Lovelace creating the world's first robot. . .and then there's Sean Bean as the hero. What more could I want? Oh, more episodes of this show!
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • VesperMelogranoVesperMelograno The SouthPosts: 901MI6 Agent
    Someone recommended Fawlty Towers. I just finished it on Netflix and now I don't know what to do with myself. Any suggestions for shows?
    I've always wanted to have Christmas in Turkey
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,944MI6 Agent
    Someone recommended Fawlty Towers. I just finished it on Netflix and now I don't know what to do with myself. Any suggestions for shows?
    have you seen A Fish Called Wanda ?
    its a movie, not a tv show, its the next-best thing Cleese ever did that isn't called Monty Python, costars Michael Palin
    there's also At Last the 1948 Show, Cleese's sketch show that preceded Monty Python with Graham Chapman, about a half dozen episodes survive

if you want something very silly and very smart but doesn't have John Cleese, my random recommendation is Black Adder, with Rowan Atkinson, Stephen Fry, Hugh Laurie and the guy from that archeology show, and various other silly people. the only comedy series I know that comes with annotations to explain the jokes!
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,944MI6 Agent
    or just watch him taunting King Arthur with an out-raa-juss Fransh aksunt one more time
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ey0wvGiAH9g

it took me twenty years to figure out why he keeps calling them "kaniggits"
    have you seen A Fish Called Wanda ?
    its a movie, not a tv show, its the next-best thing Cleese ever did that isn't called Monty Python, costars Michael Palin
    there's also At Last the 1948 Show, Cleese's sketch show that preceded Monty Python with Graham Chapman, about a half dozen episodes survive

if you want something very silly and very smart but doesn't have John Cleese, my random recommendation is Black Adder, with Rowan Atkinson, Stephen Fry, Hugh Laurie and the guy from that archeology show, and various other silly people. the only comedy series I know that comes with annotations to explain the jokes!
    Thank you for the suggestions! I will get started tonight.
    Blackadder is pretty weak in the first series but
    Really improves with series 2,3 & 4 {[]
    Valid point, and I promised Fry and Laurie, but neither are in series 1 (Brian Blessed is, and Peter Cook is in the very first episode).
    Fry costars all through series 2, Laurie finally appears I think in the final episode.
    Then series 3 is exactly the opposite, Laurie costars in every episode and Fry shows up again in the finale.
    Both are in each episode from series 4. Laurie gives a surprisingly poignant performance in the final episode, considering how cartoony the whole thing has been.
    And good gawd Miranda Richardson is funny as Elizabeth 1 (series 2). Cate Blanchett and Judi Dench might as well never have bothered trying to play that character after Richardson got done with her.
    Oh, I'm a big fan of the show and can quote hundreds of
    Lines from it :D
    Maybe I should have stuck with it. I tried a few episodes and just could not get into it.

I started "Man Down" last night and thus far really like it. I wish British shows had more episodes.
  • sniperUKsniperUK UlsterPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    Oh, I'm a big fan of the show and can quote hundreds of
    Lines from it :D

Flashheart: The first thing to remember is: always treat your kite like you treat your woman!
    George: Ho-how do you mean, sir? You mean, um... you mean, take her home over the weekend to meet your mother?
    Flashheart: No. I mean get inside her five times a day and take her to heaven and back!
    Blackadder: I'm beginning to see why the Suffragette Movement want the vote.
    Flashheart: Hey, any bird who wants to chain herself to my railings and suffer a jet movement gets my vote!
    Maybe I should have stuck with it. I tried a few episodes and just could not get into it.

I started "Man Down" last night and thus far really like it. I wish British shows had more episodes.

I can reccomend Blackadder season 2-4 very highly. They are smart and very funny. As a history nerd I'm a fan of how often the history is good in Blackadder and the last episode will most likely stay with you.It's a cunning plan!
    Black Adder is really four shows (+ some standalone specials).
    The tone is very different in the first series, where Atkinson is basically doing Mr Bean in mediaeval costumes. Vesper, if this is where you gave up, skip straight to Series 2, as there is no Series to Series continuity. Each series takes place centuries apart. The new characters may be descendants or reincarnations of the previous ones, but there's no plot points from previous series you would need to know.

Both Atkinson's character and the show itself become much smarter once we start following the first Black Adder's descendent in the Elizabethan Age in Series 2. He is much more cynical and conniving.
    Third Series is where the DVD's annotations come in handy: another descendant is now butler to the Prince Regent (Laurie) during the Regency Period. I had no idea what The Regency was until I read those annotations, and many of the real jokes would have gone over my head, even while I still bust a gut over all the silliness.
    Fourth Series is another subtler change in tone, as yet another descendant is a British Officer in the trenches during WWI. Very dark, grim satire, almost like Catch22. I'm just thinking, the first three Series are so far removed in time they are like parodies of historic costume drama. But Series 4 is so close in time you can almost touch it, my grandparents could remember that time, and the issues of patriotism politics and slaughter are very close to what we are still experiencing today.

There's a subtle joke as the Black Adder family progressively falls in status from generation-to-generation. But really, 800 years from heir-to-the-throne to officer-in-the-trenches is not doing that bad. In real life, a family fortune is usually squandered in a single generation, so Black Adder shouldn't be complaining.
    Vesper wrote:
    I wish British shows had more episodes.
    that's one of the things I like about British shows. Instead of a 26 episode series with three key episodes and 23 mediocre, the Brits get 6 really tight episodes where every ones a masterpiece.
    that's one of the things I like about British shows. Instead of a 26 episode series with three key episodes and 23 mediocre, the Brits get 6 really tight episodes where every ones a masterpiece.
    I am not used to quality :))
    Gymkata wrote:
    That's how BLACK SAILS is as well...S1 is OK but clunky, but it's amazing from S2 onwards.
    If you're considering giving the show a go, just stick with it through S1 and be confident that all of the pacing and character issues that are perplexing you are completely resolved once S2 hits. 
    Yes! The first season was a bit like the writers were working on "Pirates of the Caribbean 11: Now Just Bones." After the plot twist (!!!) it became one of my favorite shows. It is full of stone men and women and has one of the most queer positive plots I have ever seen. Plus it gives such a rich commentary on colonialism, (the good and the bad. ) It makes me want to learn how to play the hurdy gurdy and stow away on a ship.

Trailer Park Boys is another show you have to get to the second season to fall in love with.
    Black books, Father Ted and The IT crowd are all
    Worth watching, really funny.
    Black books, Father Ted and The IT crowd are all
    Worth watching, really funny.
    The IT Crowd is one of my favourite shows and I really hope somehow they make more.
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent

It was amazing Blackadder got past series 1, it was terrible.

There was obviously a massive rethink before series 2 because Blackadder had a complete personality change. Series 3 was fabulous and series 4 was the absolute best.

I would bypass series 1 altogether if I was a newbie.
    At the moment I'm binge watching
    " Benidorm " on Netflix :))
  • The Wicker ManThe Wicker Man EnglandPosts: 434MI6 Agent
    Teri Hatcher on The Great British Bake Off :o
    1.ohmss 2.cr 3.frwl 4.ltk 5.gf 6.tswlm 7.sf 8.op 9.tld 10.dn 11.lald 12.tb 13.fyeo 14.ge 15.mr 16.yolt 17.tnd 18.avtak 19.sp 20.twine 21.qos 22.tmwtgg 23.daf 24.dad
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,324Chief of Staff
    I believe her Paris buns are something special.
  • The Wicker ManThe Wicker Man EnglandPosts: 434MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    I believe her Paris buns are something special.

:)) Cheers Barbel. I was trying to think of a pun. I knew you wouldn't let me down.
    1.ohmss 2.cr 3.frwl 4.ltk 5.gf 6.tswlm 7.sf 8.op 9.tld 10.dn 11.lald 12.tb 13.fyeo 14.ge 15.mr 16.yolt 17.tnd 18.avtak 19.sp 20.twine 21.qos 22.tmwtgg 23.daf 24.dad