Anything Good on TV ?

Comments

• BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,344Chief of Staff
    {[] I can never resist a good pun, even less a bad one!
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    The Saint and the Avengers on itv4 -{
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,279MI6 Agent
    Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)

Caught the first ever episode the other day, where Hopkirk snuffs it. It does explain it, and the series warms on you, though Randall seems a gruff uncharismatic type. The whole idea is that Hopkirk being a ghost can help out behind the scenes, it's like he's a gadget or a bit of magic. Maybe that could be an idea for a Bond spin-off, having Felix Leiter die and then do a Bond and Leiter (Deceased) where the Yank pops up to offer helpful advice. :D
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    On Netflix " David Walliams and Friend " with
    Joanna Lumley. There's a very funny sketch
    With Her as M talking to Bond through an ear
    Piece, talking to him like he was a kid. It's
    Very funny :D
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,945MI6 Agent
    Last weekend saw Rowan Atkinson playing Inspector Maigret, with nice Parisian locations.
    Apparently he's does four of these. I guess if his pals Fry and Laurie can do straight acting, he can too.
    He plays it pretty cool, imperturbable. I think he had to stretch as an actor more when he was being funny.
  • HardyboyHardyboy Posts: 5,882Chief of Staff
    The second season of Santa Clarita Diet is on Netflix. . .one of the funniest shows on TV.
    Vox clamantis in deserto
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    quite enjoying Come Home at the moment even Christopher Ecclestons unusual accent.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • FrigilianaFrigiliana Posts: 164MI6 Agent
    Don't know if anybody's watching Marcella but i'm hoping she's the murderers next victim :s
    Frigiliana wrote:
    Don't know if anybody's watching Marcella but i'm hoping she's the murderers next victim :s
    I'm onboard with that -{
    Just bought the latest series of " Death in Paradise "
    So I now have them all. :)
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,945MI6 Agent
    edited April 2018
    the Toronto Star announced theres going to be an SCTV reunion, with all surviving members, including the reclusive Rick Moranis!
    https://www.thestar.com/entertainment/television/2018/04/17/sctv-reunion-tickets-go-on-sale-monday.html
    Looks like its not going to be new sketches, but rather a panel discussion hosted by Jimmy Kimmel, somehow also involving Martin Scorsese. There was something similar on one of the DVDs, a group interview with Conan OBrien, but that itself was well over a decade ago now.

I learned everything I know from SCTV. It was like MAD magazine in television form, silliest thing I'd ever seen as a ten year old but watching as a grownup I get jokes that went way over my head as a kiddie. Lotsa stuff for us film history geeks.

EDIT: if you've never seen SCTV, youtube has some complete episodes from the ultra lowbudget first season (1976/77), when Harold Ramis was still head writer and castmember. The first season has never been released on DVD.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLv0CdxJPWs&list=PLZf-AXkfkeeji8xpTE1fTNWWkRal6BxBx
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    I've been completely hooked by the Terror on AMC.
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Netflix's Lost In Space, a remake of the '60s TV sci-fi classic, starring Toby (DAD) Stephens as the patriarch of the spacefaring Robinson family. Great stuff - full of action and suspense...and fun. Ten episodes dropped last Friday...and I've already seen them all. Overall reception seems positive, so hopefully there'll be more. Roll on Season 2 B-)
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
    I'll check it out, as it seems to be getting
    Some good reviews.
    Randall and Hopkirk (Deceased)

A guilty pleasure on True Entertainment, showing in place of The Avengers and The Persuaders. This 60s cult classic is a bit rubbish and yet still oddly absorbing. Randall is grouchy and his dead mate is a ghost in a white suit who comes to his aid, often employing ad hoc ghostly tricks to get out of a tight spot (sort of deus ex machina I suppose... :D )

It doesn't really go in deep to ask how the mate feels about having been murdered and having to live as a ghost for 100 years (this is explained in the opener; as Hopkirk got murdered he hangs around to help Randall solve the crime, but as he didn't 'check in' to Heaven on time, he has to be a ghost for 100 years.)

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    :o Just Googled and found that Hopkirk's Kenneth Cope was the bolshy trade union leader in Carry On At Your Convenience! You'd never that guessed!

And he's still alive, while Randall's Mike Pratt died very young in the mid 70s... :(

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    Reeves and Mortimer did a remake
    Of it a few years ago.
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,134MI6 Agent
    Reeves and Mortimer did a remake
    Of it a few years ago.

With a David Arnold soundtrack.
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
    Yes, same company that did Sherlock, I think.
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,585Chief of Staff
    :o Just Googled and found that Hopkirk's Kenneth Cope was the bolshy trade union leader in Carry On At Your Convenience! You'd never that guessed!

And he's still alive, while Randall's Mike Pratt died very young in the mid 70s... :(

Cope has been in Coronation Street several times over the years too.

Loved Randall & Hopkirk(Deceased)....both the original and the remake -{
    YNWA 97
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,797MI6 Agent
    I finished watching "The handmaiden's tale" last week. This series is based on a book by Margreth Atwood that I haven't read. It's in a alternative present where (probably) plutonium has made childbirth very rare. After one or more wars the US has gotten split up. Gillead is a autoritarian and paternalistic state where fertile women are essentially slaves who must breed childrenfor the elite.
    I hesitated before I desided to watch it because I suspected the series is the "Hate men and religion Show" :))
    I watched it anyway due to the superb reviews and I'm glad I did. The plot is unique, the acting and production is first rate and the depiction of gender and religion is complex.
    It took me a while to recognize Yvonne Strahovski as the patriarc's wife, a role that's very different from the spy in Chuck!
    Best program on TV at the moment is Cunk on Britain - absolutely superb -{
    YNWA 97
    Number24 wrote:
    I finished watching "The handmaiden's tale" last week. This series is based on a book by Margreth Atwood that I haven't read. It's in a alternative present where (probably) plutonium has made childbirth very rare. After one or more wars the US has gotten split up. Gillead is a autoritarian and paternalistic state where fertile women are essentially slaves who must breed childrenfor the elite.
    I hesitated before I desided to watch it because I suspected the series is the "Hate men and religion Show" :))
    I watched it anyway due to the superb reviews and I'm glad I did. The plot is unique, the acting and production is first rate and the depiction of gender and religion is complex.
    It took me a while to recognize Yvonne Strahovski as the patriarc's wife, a role that's very different from the spy in Chuck!
    I watched this as well when it was on UK TV, I thought it an excellent if sometimes disturbing series.
    Sir Miles wrote:

It's bollocks Sir Miles.

That said, I do find Cunk sexually attractive, so that redeems it somewhat.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Frigiliana wrote:

Don't get me started on 'Marcella ' .... X-( X-(

What a load of old tosh. I was livid by that last episode.

I actually preferred the second series to the first and then we got that ridiculous last 15 minutes. So many unexplained characters and storylines. All pointless in the end.

If there is a third series I won't be watching.

There seems to be a real trend for dramas to have no likeable characters at all. I find that difficult to watch because in the end I don't care what happens to any of them. 'Marcella' epitomises that.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,797MI6 Agent
    I've just seen five minutes of it by now, but I really like Cunk on Britain :D
    The character of Cunk was a regular on
    Charlie Brooker's Screenwipe.
    Sir Miles wrote:

It's bollocks Sir Miles.

That said, I do find Cunk sexually attractive, so that redeems it somewhat.

Really? That sense-of-humour bypass you had worked then :o :))

She’s from just round the corner from me -{
    YNWA 97
    Lady Rose wrote:
    Frigiliana wrote:

Don't get me started on 'Marcella ' .... X-( X-(

What a load of old tosh. I was livid by that last episode.

I actually preferred the second series to the first and then we got that ridiculous last 15 minutes. So many unexplained characters and storylines. All pointless in the end.

If there is a third series I won't be watching.

There seems to be a real trend for dramas to have no likeable characters at all. I find that difficult to watch because in the end I don't care what happens to any of them. 'Marcella' epitomises that.

Completely agree.
    Given the recommendation on here. I've been watching
    Lost in Space.......... and agree it is terrific fun, an
    entertaining remake.