Anything Good on TV ?

Comments

• Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,821MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Best program on TV at the moment is Cunk on Britain - absolutely superb -{

It's bollocks Sir Miles.

That said, I do find Cunk sexually attractive, so that redeems it somewhat.

Really? That sense-of-humour bypass you had worked then :o :))

She’s from just round the corner from me -{

Now I've seen the first episode of Cunk on Britain. I love it! She explains things so I can understand, unlike the thick history books I force myself to read to impress people :D
  • Napoleon PluralNapoleon Plural LondonPosts: 10,299MI6 Agent
    "Fifty years ago, Eton Powell made his notorious Rivers of Blood speech, where he worried that inferior imports of foreign red wine would only be fit for chucking down the toilet... Now I'm off to give Sir Miles a hand job, he lives just round the corner from me."

Actually, that might work in a Bond film, putting a spin on the usual office banter.

Bond: 'Morning Moneypenny, how are things with Sir Miles today?"
    MP: "It's M to you, if you don't mind. I've given him a bash of the bishop, but he's in a foul mood."
    Bond: "What, can't he get it up much any more? It's his age."
    Intercom: "Kindly omit the filthy rubbishing of my prowess, you're to see me in my office immediately. It's the big one, 007"
    "This is where we leave you Mr Bond."

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,637Chief of Staff
    "Fifty years ago, Eton Powell made his notorious Rivers of Blood speech, where he worried that inferior imports of foreign red wine would only be fit for chucking down the toilet... Now I'm off to give Sir Miles a hand job, he lives just round the corner from me."

Actually, that might work in a Bond film, putting a spin on the usual office banter.

Bond: 'Morning Moneypenny, how are things with Sir Miles today?"
    MP: "It's M to you, if you don't mind. I've given him a bash of the bishop, but he's in a foul mood."
    Bond: "What, can't he get it up much any more? It's his age."
    Intercom: "Kindly omit the filthy rubbishing of my prowess, you're to see me in my office immediately. It's the big one, 007"

As I said - the sense-of-humour bypass was a roaring success :o

And I think you need to get a grip of yourself first ?:)
    YNWA 97
  • ThunderpussyThunderpussy Behind you !Posts: 63,792MI6 Agent
    Thought it funny in the last episode of Lost in Space, one character
    looks at some video taken on his video camera a RICOH WG-M1 ...
    .... so a few hundred years in the future, we're still using these ? :))

On Netflix I've started watching " The Alienist " a mystery series set in
    America in the 1890s, it looks very good. In the same vein as " Penny
    Dreadful "
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,992Quartermasters

Actually, only 31 years in the future (2049, I believe?)...but I noticed that as well. I suppose product placement doesn't go anywhere in the near future :p
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent

On Netflix I've started watching " The Alienist " a mystery series set in
    America in the 1890s, it looks very good. In the same vein as " Penny
    Dreadful "

I was going ask if anyone was watching this ... It looks very good. Def has 'Penny Dreadful' vibes.
    I've now binge watched The Alienist, and enjoyed
    It a lot. I do think it drags for a couple of episodes
    But is well worth a watch. I hope it gets a second
    Series......... and how about Luke Evans as a possible
    Bond contender ? The other Welsh Bond was brilliant. ;)
    "I've been informed that there ARE a couple of QAnon supporters who are fairly regular posters in AJB."
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    I'm currently on episode 4 of the alienist -{ enjoying it a lot. strange as I watched Daniel Buhl in Rush the other weekend, he played racing driver Niki Lauder.

And I agree, Luke Evans is a Bond candidate, I actually first that when he did that visit Wales advert.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    edited April 2018
    Another funny show ( as recommended here ) ;)
    Santa Clarita Diet
    A wacky Comedy and very funny.
  • Lady RoseLady Rose London,UKPosts: 2,667MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    I'm currently on episode 4 of the alienist -{ enjoying it a lot. strange as I watched Daniel Buhl in Rush the other weekend, he played racing driver Niki Lauder.

And I agree, Luke Evans is a Bond candidate, I actually first that when he did that visit Wales advert.

I thought Daniel Buhl was great as Lauder.

Going to watch The Alienist when I get a chance.

And you won't get any complaints from me if Luke Evans was put forward as a possible Bond.

Just finished watching 'The Sinner' on Netflix. Nice to see Bill Pullman back on my screen. Very underestimated in my opinion.
    Just watched Joe Lycett: That's the way, A-ha, A-ha on bbc i player.
    Really funny comedian, very Camp. I only really know him from guest
    spots on various panel shows, and in fact he now hosts a comedy
    panel show on BBC Radio 4.
    A story of a much-loved doctor and pillar of the community who preyed on everyone's trust only to spend the rest of his life behind bars.

bill-cosby-legacy-1991-rd-ps-180426_hp_Embed_2x3_608.jpg

No! Not Dr Cliff Huxtable!

Talking about Dr Shipman. Twenty years after his arrest, last night's ITV documentary.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,961MI6 Agent
    Finally made it to the end of the new Twin Peaks.
    Tomorrow's supposed to be rainy, so maybe I can compose my thoughts and post a few observations in the Twin Peaks thread.
    Gonna be bloody difficult, aside from the typically Lynchian wuffathuck factor. Hard to say anything at all without spoiling the surprises, and every single second is a surprise, eighteen hours worth (although occasionally the clock does get stuck).

Anyhow, Everett McGill is no longer the only actor to have appeared in both a David Lynch movie and a James Bond movie.
    I just finished the fourth and final season of Bron/Broen. The series is great and no Norwegian crime series has ever matched the quality of what the Swedes and Danes did here, in spite of the police movie cliche at the end. Damn them!
    A worthy end to Saga Noren's.... saga. :v
    Watching Britain's biggest Warship on bbc2. A documentary
    About HMS Queen Elizabeth . A fascinating look at the ship and crew ( there are three in the short series)
  • Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent
    Watching Britain's biggest Warship on bbc2. A documentary
    About HMS Queen Elizabeth . A fascinating look at the ship and crew ( there are three in the short series)
    I am guessing they did not mention the leaks :D
    She is a big old girl though great front end to our International Defence and Foreign policy once she is fully tooled up of course (Navy’s turn for investment after we hogged the defence budget for nearly 2 decades!)

Cheers :007)
    My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!
    :)) they have shown a few problems in earlier programmes.
    Although the technology and design making it truly the
    First twenty first century warship.
    Are the leaks like the Sony Leaks? ?:) :s :))
    On the UK's channel 81 (old movies, Talking Pictures it's called) they're running The Last Valley, a late 60s film set in the 1600s, with Omar Sharif and Michael Caine. Score by John Barry. Not a superb film but a bit different and worth a look. It should be showing over the next fortnight or so.

Roger Moore 1927-2017
    What the he'll has happened to " Westworld" . I loved the first series but two episodes in with series two, and I've given up trying to figure out what the hell is going on. Only my opinion but It's now total crap and I won't be watching any more episodes.
  • FrigilianaFrigiliana Posts: 164MI6 Agent
    This is a cracking series The Terror on BT tv in UK .
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2708480/?ref_=nv_sr_1
    I'm enjoying he return of "Who wants to be a millionaire "
    On ITV .
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Frigiliana wrote:
    This is a cracking series The Terror on BT tv in UK .
    https://www.imdb.com/title/tt2708480/?ref_=nv_sr_1
    I'm watching it as well! Last night's episode was among the most intense thus far. It's definitely the best limited series I've seen since True Detective season one.
    Just finished SS-GB, the TV series based on the novel by Len Deighton. It's set in an alternate reality where the nazis won the battle of Britain and they are occupying the country. The subject is facinating and scary, but the story is made as a film noir detective story. I liked it, but I wonder how SS-GB measure up to the simularly themed TV series "The man in the high castle". Has anyone here seen it?
    It's worth mentioning that the Auxillary Units get a walk-in role.
    The script is written by Purvis and Wade, the screen writers behind many Bond movies. The raised eyebrow of the hero gets a mention. The hero "Archer of the Yard" is played by Sam Riley, an actor who should get at least a screen test as James Bond :007)
    Yes. I read SS-GB years ago and loved the TV adaptation. I have also watched TMITHC it too is great for us fans of " What if ?"
  • caractacus pottscaractacus potts Orbital communicator, level 10Posts: 3,961MI6 Agent
    Number24 wrote:
    The Man in the High Castle. Has anyone here seen it?
    I have not, but really want to.
    Its based on a famous novel by science fiction author Philip K. Dick.
    I read "The man in the high castle" when I was about twenty, but I can't remember much.
    I've read The Man in the High Castle a few times (as well as most of his other books)

Here's what I remember:
    The world has been divided up between Germany and Japan. Japan controls America's west coast, Germany the east coast, and I think the Rockies are a sort of uncontrolled no-man's land. The story is set in California, thus under Japanese control, and is made out to be rather more civilised than the unseen life under German control. There are passing references as to how the war concluded, but much more about day to day life, with its differences and similarities to our reality. Something very bad happened in Africa, never explained but implied. As if the Nazis followed up the Holocaust with an even more atrocious experiment that did something unspeakable to an entire continent.
    The characters on the West Coast discuss the I Ching a lot, and philosophise about how chance determines reality. Some characters start to slip between levels of reality, but less so than in more typical Dick plots.
    There is a book within a book that has become fashionable, describing an alternate reality where WWII has been won by the Allies, and the world divided up between the victorious powers of America and Britain, who have started their own Cold War with irreconcilable cultural differences. In the later chapters there is a quest to find the author, who lives high in the Rockies and is presumed to have found his own way to cross realities.
    Oh, and marijuana is legal. Everybody smokes a brand called "Land-o-Smiles Cigarettes". Guess that's not an alternate reality in California any more!

I suspect they would have added a whole lot more to expand it into a tv series. And most movie adaptations throw out most of what Dick actually wrote anyway. Richard Linklater's A Scanner Darkly is the closest Dick adaptation I've seen yet.
    Like our man Fleming, Dick died just before he could see his life's work transformed into outrageously profitable film adaptations.

wasn't there also a Total Recall tv series, loosely based on various Philip K Dick ideas?
    I haven't followed the European Song Contest (or Grand Prix, as we call it on these shores) for many years. But I'm pretty sure Iceland and Greece are trying to lose. :))
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Had a rough afternoon...found out two of my favourite shows have been cancelled - Brooklyn Nine-Nine and The Last Man on Earth :( The B99 news hit really hard, I love that show! Anyone who hasn't seen it should definitely give it a go!

Anyone else lost shows they enjoy? https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/arts-and-entertainment/wp/2018/05/10/is-your-favorite-tv-show-canceled-a-guide-to-whats-renewed-and-whats-in-trouble-2/?noredirect=on&utm_term=.0b44e3f9b254