Tom Ford Spectre Clothing Announcement and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Comments

• ExpatJBExpatJB HoustonPosts: 752MI6 Agent
    Matt B wrote:
    The Mantis wrote:
    Looks great!!! Which store did you order it from?

Thanks Dave! I ordered it from the Las Vegas store. Nicholas at TF Las Vegas is fantastic and knows everything about the collection.
    The one at mall next to the Aria? Here at the Mandarin at the mo.
    Dont wait for your ship to come in. Swim out and meet the bloody thing.
  • chriscollins007chriscollins007 North Somerset , England Posts: 1,155MI6 Agent
    Fabulous collection sir , do you know if hes wearing that blue shirt in the film or just interviews ?
    love it though
    ajd_007 wrote:
    Today's purchases. :D

rsz_img_2239.jpg
    007 reporting for duty
  • Matt BMatt B Posts: 367MI6 Agent
    ExpatJB wrote:
    Matt B wrote:
    The Mantis wrote:
    Looks great!!! Which store did you order it from?

Thanks Dave! I ordered it from the Las Vegas store. Nicholas at TF Las Vegas is fantastic and knows everything about the collection.
    The one at mall next to the Aria? Here at the Mandarin at the mo.

Yup. Here is the number (702) 740-2945) .
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    At Tom Ford London store yesterday trying on Spectre kit with some great friends....
    image.jpg
  • 007JBDCMWR007JBDCMWR Posts: 2,517MI6 Agent
    The Henrys def got way more screen time than the Snowdons!
    Skewered, one sympathises...

1. CR. 2. TSWLM. 3. LTK. 4. GF. 5. SF.
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,450MI6 Agent
    007JBDCMWR wrote:

For us poor Yanks who won't see the film for two more weeks, what other pieces got significant screen time?
  • 007JBDCMWR007JBDCMWR Posts: 2,517MI6 Agent
    Cheverian wrote:
    007JBDCMWR wrote:

For us poor Yanks who won't see the film for two more weeks, what other pieces got significant screen time?

The TF blouson is used enough to justify owning it. The jackets (Matchless / JV) also, bit similar to SF really. Each gets its slot!

Polo is seen quite a bit (navy only)....

And of course the mystery Mr White jacket???
    Skewered, one sympathises...

1. CR. 2. TSWLM. 3. LTK. 4. GF. 5. SF.
    The Mantis wrote:
    At Tom Ford London store yesterday trying on Spectre kit with some great friends....
    image.jpg

Wow, the fit looks great even just off the rack before tailoring! Did you buy it?
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    The Mantis wrote:
    image.jpg

Looks pretty good, but the shoulders aren't right, and that cannot be fixed. Too much muscle!
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Matt S, right on again...we wound up concluding that I was more a 50 in this not a 48. And nope, didn't purchase. My conscious can only bare so much.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    TF was a blast and a great laugh! :D
    Instagram - bondclothes007
    The Mantis wrote:
    Matt S, right on again...we wound up concluding that I was more a 50 in this not a 48. And nope, didn't purchase. My conscious can only bare so much.

Haha.

The 48 is perfect on me, but I don't have your build.
  • dr godr go Posts: 50MI6 Agent
  • GaryD_007GaryD_007 Near the Bonnie BanksPosts: 579MI6 Agent
    I'm convinced now having seen the film and then looking closely at the TF Bond capsule (above) that the Snowdons are Havana. I have the 05B black version and I'm happy with them however - and I'll maybe duck for cover here! There's been so much debate - Bond defo wears the Havana.

IMHO of course.

G
  • cheldcheld Posts: 300MI6 Agent
    The Mantis wrote:
    image.jpg

I wonder why they didn't just use the existing Windsor DJ which has a more traditional British appearance (dual vents, one button, lower button stance, grosgrain revers). Did the TF shop have that one on display or just the SPECTRE one?
  • canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent
    cheld wrote:
    The Mantis wrote:
    image.jpg

I wonder why they didn't just use the existing Windsor DJ which has a more traditional British appearance (dual vents, one button, lower button stance, grosgrain revers). Did the TF shop have that one on display or just the SPECTRE one?

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I always thought a dinner jacket should have no vents.
    cheld wrote:
    The Mantis wrote:
    image.jpg

The same grosgrain revers are on this one, a very non-traditional details. That was the most disappointing thing about it to me when I saw it in person. On film they aren't so noticeable, but they look really tacky in person. At least single vent can be sewn shut. I thought the regular Windsor dinner jacket also has two buttons? I was pretty sure I saw that in Neiman Marcus in the spring, and the only difference with this one is the fit.
    canoe2 wrote:
    cheld wrote:
    The Mantis wrote:
    image.jpg

Please correct me if I am wrong, but I always thought a dinner jacket should have no vents.

Double vents have been quite acceptable in the past 50 years. They're fairly common for Savile Row dinner jackets.
  • cheldcheld Posts: 300MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    cheld wrote:
    The Mantis wrote:
    image.jpg

The same grosgrain revers are on this one, a very non-traditional details. That was the most disappointing thing about it to me when I saw it in person. On film they aren't so noticeable, but they look really tacky in person. At least single vent can be sewn shut.

Well yes the grosgrain on ivory is a bit over-the-top, but if you're already wearing something with those shoulders and those condor-like lapels, why not go all out? :)

FWIW Flusser expresses no overt preference between satin and grosgrain in his two books, but the lapels in the illustrations (admittedly of dark jackets, not ivory) from "Clothes And The Man" are grosgrain.

I just had a midnight blue tuxedo done up with matching grosgrain lapels, and the effect is the opposite of what your website observes about the Skyfall shawl jacket: the lapels show up ever-so-slightly darker than the body - perfect!
    I thought the regular Windsor dinner jacket also has two buttons? I was pretty sure I saw that in Neiman Marcus in the spring, and the only difference with this one is the fit.

Here's the black version on the Bergdorf Goodman website: one button, two vents. It matches the ivory one I saw in person late-August at the Bergdorf Men's Shop on Fifth Avenue (the website is selling the full outfit; the store sells jackets and trousers separately).

http://www.bergdorfgoodman.com/TOM-FORD-Windsor-Base-Peak-Lapel-Tuxedo-Black/prod113950101/p.prod?eVar4=You%20May%20Also%20Like
    cheld wrote:
    Well yes the grosgrain on ivory is a bit over-the-top, but if you're already wearing something with those shoulders and those condor-like lapels, why not go all out? :)

FWIW Flusser expresses no overt preference between satin and grosgrain in his two books, but the lapels in the illustrations (admittedly of dark jackets, not ivory) from "Clothes And The Man" are grosgrain.

The shoulders and lapel width are bold and classic, whilst the grosgrain lapels are flashy and a modern travesty. The shoulders aren't actually that bold (more like a typical Savile Row shoulder) and the lapels are wide, but they could be wider. If you're going all out with the classic 1940s style, why ruin it with silk trimmings?

Satin or grosgrain are equal, but they only belong on black and midnight blue jackets. You don't see any silk trimmings on the light dinner jackets in Flusser's books. I don't recall if Clothes And The Man (I'm not home right now) has any illustrations of light dinner jackets, but I know Dressing the Man does.

I have seen both black and white Windsor dinner jackets with two buttons, so it's nice to see it has been corrected to one button.
  • yy123yy123 Posts: 15MI6 Agent
    Matt S wrote:
    The Mantis wrote:
    image.jpg

Looks pretty good, but the shoulders aren't right, and that cannot be fixed. Too much muscle!

I love the white tux jacket, but I just worry its colour would turn to yellow.....
  • WardlemWardlem Posts: 79MI6 Agent
    Is it better to go to self ridges or the TF shop to pick up the spectre suits?

Thx
  • ajd_007ajd_007 Posts: 146MI6 Agent
    Wardlem wrote:
    Is it better to go to self ridges or the TF shop to pick up the spectre suits

Id personally always recommend going to the TF Store on Sloane St rather than go anywhere near Selfirdges but thats going from personal experances. The level of service at the TF also by far exceeds that of Selfridges.
    The Mantis wrote:
    Also, did anyone else pick up the sky pant? I found my size at Beverly Hills today and snagged it immediately. Tried hard to get it tailored as slim as humanly possible given the double pleat.

As a general question, do you guys see this pant as wearable with anything besides the extreme-style Solden boots?

Love to wear screen accurate stuff, but - while the cardigan, polos, suits, etc. look fine in the real world - I'm wondering how you guys think this pant might look with the N. Peal sweater/TF Solden jacket and TF oxfords/loafers. Might just return and use $$$ towards another suit but I'm torn...

I am sorry to say I think the pants are horrible (my opinion) and outside of sledding I couldn't imagine wearing them...I cancelled mine.
    Yeah I've been waffling on it since getting it measured up last night. Going to be tough to get wear unless I'm in Tahoe/Aspen wearing the boots as well.

Think I'm going to switch to either of the following from A-W 2015 to try to come as close as possible to the poster pant

Look 13 (STYLE NO: 61004K GREY FLANNEL HOUNDSTOOTH BUCKLEY 18CM PANT WITH BELT LOOPS):
    http://www.tomford.com/m-aw15-look-13.html?start=15&format=ajax&fdid=A-W-Mens-2015

or

Look 16 (STYLE NO: 756F42 CHARCOAL IRREGULAR MICRO HOUNDSTOOTH TAILORED FROGMOUTH POCKET 18CM TAILORED SPORT PANTS):
    http://www.tomford.com/m-aw15-look-16.html?start=15&format=ajax&fdid=A-W-Mens-2015

Maybe TF didn't make the poster pant, but I'll be happy if I get something pretty close considering the details like the frogmouth pocket and fit through the leg match perfectly.

Did you end up keeping the Sky pants? If so, if you don't mind terribly my asking; was it possible for your tailor to slim down the pants to make them more wearable?
    I'm on the fence on whether to keep mine as they are absolutely beautiful pants (especially with the matching jacket) but the need to be slimmed down over the thighs.
    Matt B wrote:
    The Mantis wrote:

I am sorry to say I think the pants are horrible (my opinion) and outside of sledding I couldn't imagine wearing them...I cancelled mine.
    Yeah I've been waffling on it since getting it measured up last night. Going to be tough to get wear unless I'm in Tahoe/Aspen wearing the boots as well.

Think I'm going to switch to either of the following from A-W 2015 to try to come as close as possible to the poster pant

Look 13 (STYLE NO: 61004K GREY FLANNEL HOUNDSTOOTH BUCKLEY 18CM PANT WITH BELT LOOPS):
    http://www.tomford.com/m-aw15-look-13.html?start=15&format=ajax&fdid=A-W-Mens-2015

or

Look 16 (STYLE NO: 756F42 CHARCOAL IRREGULAR MICRO HOUNDSTOOTH TAILORED FROGMOUTH POCKET 18CM TAILORED SPORT PANTS):
    http://www.tomford.com/m-aw15-look-16.html?start=15&format=ajax&fdid=A-W-Mens-2015

Maybe TF didn't make the poster pant, but I'll be happy if I get something pretty close considering the details like the frogmouth pocket and fit through the leg match perfectly.

Did you end up keeping the Sky pants? If so, if you don't mind terribly my asking; was it possible for your tailor to slim down the pants to make them more wearable?
    I'm on the fence on whether to keep mine as they are absolutely beautiful pants (especially with the matching jacket) but the need to be slimmed down over the thighs.

I got these navy Moncler pants as an alternative to the Sky pants. They are beautiful and comfortable, as well as inexpensive by comparison to the Tom Ford. They are also made of wool and have stirrups, but unlike the Sky pants these have a slim cut:

http://www.barneys.com/moncler-brushed-twill-stirrup-pants-503933593.html

503933593_3_bottomfullfrontqtr.jpg

503933593_5_detail.jpg
  • ashwinsuresh1ashwinsuresh1 Los Angeles, CA, United StatesPosts: 104MI6 Agent
    Matt B wrote:
    The Mantis wrote:

or

Nope, returned. We had them pinned up A LOT at the TF store because I asked for slimmer, slimmer, slimmer, but they're honestly not meant to be slim fit and are intended to be more 80's ski style/big enough through the thigh, etc. to fight bad guys on the side of a mountain.
    Cheverian wrote:
    Matt B wrote:

or

I got these navy Moncler pants as an alternative to the Sky pants. They are beautiful and comfortable, as well as inexpensive by comparison to the Tom Ford. They are also made of wool and have stirrups, but unlike the Sky pants these have a slim cut:

503933593_5_detail.jpg

Those really do have a great slim fit!
    Matt B wrote:

or

Nope, returned. We had them pinned up A LOT at the TF store because I asked for slimmer, slimmer, slimmer, but they're honestly not meant to be slim fit and are intended to be more 80's ski style/big enough through the thigh, etc. to fight bad guys on the side of a mountain.

Ha ha too funny!! Thanks!
    Matt B wrote:
    Cheverian wrote:
    Matt B wrote:

503933593_5_detail.jpg

Those really do have a great slim fit!

I haven't seen the Sky Pants in person but the navy color of the Moncler pants is a perfect match with the navy front of the Solden blouson.
  • philwongnzphilwongnz Posts: 65MI6 Agent
    ajd_007 wrote:
    Wardlem wrote:
    Is it better to go to self ridges or the TF shop to pick up the spectre suits

Id personally always recommend going to the TF Store on Sloane St rather than go anywhere near Selfirdges but thats going from personal experances. The level of service at the TF also by far exceeds that of Selfridges.

Agree totally, or you can buy the suit and get it adjust at Sloane Street. Go and see an Italian chap called Dario at Sloane St, tell him Phil send you and he will look after you :))