Budget Bond Collectors Resource

Comments

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent

Followed the IG John. On the topic of the Sunglasses post, I've owned 3 pairs of TF bond sunglasses and I don't think they are worth any where near the price, Persol are a far superior product as are raybans. My Markos lenses delaminated after 4 summers! I have some McQueen foldable persols which are 10 years old and my lost worn sunnies and they are still in nearly mint condition. Just my own experience of course.

It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • canoe2canoe2 Posts: 1,920MI6 Agent

Thanks Chris, I appreciate it! And thanks for the insight on TF sunglasses. Like you I'm more of a fan of the Persols and Ray-bans

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent

Yeah, glass lenses, quality Hardwear, high end frame materials 👍🏻 I've also got some persol noir detective sunglasses, which are what Clooney wore on his wedding day I believe, they are beyond well made.

It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • MikeG77MikeG77 Posts: 1,709MI6 Agent

I agree that Persol sunglasses are better in regards to hardware especially the lenses as they're glass! The Tom Ford sunglasses are nice but I would NEVER buy them at the retail price! Right now my w favorites are the Spectre Tom Ford Snowdons and the Barton Perreira Joe's.

I know where you keep your gun!

Hi all! The interview with Buck Mason is now up. This one isn't Bond specific. But it does cover how we use style icons to inspire the way we dress and the ways we can do that more effectively. Some good practical tips!

The posts on Bond summer shirts starts on Thursday!

Cheers!

John

• Bottled_in_BondBottled_in_Bond Posts: 9MI6 Agent

Tommy Bahama unexpectedly sent me a $50 gift card in the mail so I immediately went to their site to see if there were any black Catalina twill shirts in my size. Alas, no joy, so I looked for my next desire, something that resembled Brosnan's Brioni Cuban shirt. I found this:

Now in Navy with dark blue buttons it's much more subdued than Brosnan's shirt but I get a sort of Craig vibe from it. I ordered it and when it arrived I was quite delighted. It is silk rather than linen but it is an extremely heavy, textured silk. The hands feels like a very soft linen. I'm 5 foot 9 inches, 200 lbs with a 42 inch chest and a rounded belly. I have some older TB shirts in small that are huge on me but TB has tightened their sizing based on another recent purchase so I went with a medium. It fits me perfectly.

@Bottled_in_Bond that's great! I'll include in an upcoming post with credit to you for the find.

Speaking of summer shirts, the first post on alternatives for Bond's summer shirts is now up!

Like last year, I'm dividing the series into 4 parts. This first post covers the solid short sleeve shirts. The other 3 will be published over the next two weeks.

Cheers!

John

• The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 2,585MI6 Agent

More great content. Thanks John.👍️

"Any of the opposition around..?"
  • GymkataGymkata Minnesota, USAPosts: 4,093MI6 Agent

Still one of the absolute best sites on the internet.

Current rankings (updated 12/21)
    OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>NTTD>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>DN>YOLT>OP>
    TND>TWINE>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
    Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton
  • emtiememtiem SurreyPosts: 4,737MI6 Agent

Ooh I like the sound of that Ted Baker one with that fabric, might have to go for one of those. Thanks for the tips!

@The Red Kind and @Gymkata thanks for the kind words, gentlemen! Glad you're enjoying the content!

@emtiem my pleasure! The Ted Baker does look sharp and a little different.

@asd007 as promised, I've been looking for 1 piece Cooper collar shirts. So far the cheapest I found was the white version of the Tommy Bahama Catalina:

Silk not linen and not exactly what we want. But it could do the job in a pinch.

Deoveritas is also still doing theirs as a custom order. Not sure yet if they offer linen (still have a bit more research to do).

I have some others I need to dig into more. But the pricing is getting north of $200 just FYI. I have the post scheduled for Thursday so I will know more early next week.

Cheers and have a great night!

John

Happy Sunday!

Part 2 of the series on Bond Summer Shirts is now live. This one focuses on the short sleeve patterned shirts from TB, DAD and CR.

Cheers!

John

• GymkataGymkata Minnesota, USAPosts: 4,093MI6 Agent

some quick feedback on the Tommy Bahama campshirt (https://www.tommybahama.com/en/Bali-Border-Silk-Camp-Shirt/p/ST325811-940) that's an alternative for the Pierce Brosnan Brioni camp shirt:

I just bought it (as well as the turquoise one) and got a medium that fits perfectly. I'm normally a medium/large in most brands but I'm a small/medium in most TB shirts. The NTTB Catalina Twill fits me perfect in a size small, for instance. Unlike most TB shirts this one actually fits true to size so, if you're considering it, I'd opt for your 'normal' size to get the best fit.

It's a great looking shirt in navy and turquoise. It's not bad in some of the other colors too. Per the rep I spoke with, you are NOT to dry clean this shirt due to how it's made (it says so on the care instructions as well). You're just supposed to wash in cold and hang dry it. It'll be crunchy when it's done drying but a light iron will apparently restore it's normal feel. Or, just do what I do and never wash it.

Current rankings (updated 12/21)
    OHMSS>FRWL>CR>TSWLM>NTTD>MR>SF>FYEO>GE>DN>YOLT>OP>
    TND>TWINE>QOS>TB>TMWTGG>GF>LALD>TLD>AVTAK>SP>DAF>LTK>DAD
    Bond rankings: Lazenby>Moore>Connery>Craig>Brosnan>Dalton
  • MailfistMailfist Posts: 199MI6 Agent

Another alternative for the Cuban shirt.

Linbergh slim fit short sleeve printed shirt £49.95

TB alternative. Marks & Spencer pure linen revere shirt £35

Those both look great @Mailfist! For the DAD shirt, I was trying to avoid button down collars. But the pattern on that Linbergh comes really close!

I'm taking a short break from the summer shirts and I've updated the post on SP Morocco blazer:

Bond polo shirts are coming on Thursday!

Cheers!

John

• armenianmoviemanarmenianmovieman The 818Posts: 547MI6 Agent

@canoe2 Also it seems that the Royale blazer is now $69! Seems like a good deal as well.

Yes. Consssssiderably.

@armenianmovieman I totally missed that! He must of changed the price the day I published. It was still $119 on Monday. I'll add it to the next budget style finds post.

So I've been doing a bit of organizing of the old browser bookmarks and wanted to share some things with you gentlemen. I probably won't be including most of these in any upcoming posts but I think they're worth a notice.

CR Venice Polo Option: on sale for $34.30 (good color, has the right self collar and a covered placket, but it's more of a tech fabric)

Toweling option for the TB Blue Cabana Shirt: $88

Super cheap Corduroy overcoat/duster option for the NTTD Massimo Alba: on sale for $24.00

Great deal on SF Barbour alternative: 100 GBP, sizes small to XL in stock (and it's waxed cotton)

And for @asd007 as promised: a very affordable option for the Brosnan DAD Cooper Collar shirt: on sale for $59.50

Had a small schedule change up, so short sleeve Bond polos are coming tomorrow. Long sleeve shirts will be published on Sat or Sun. But so far, I'm really liking some of the options this season!

Cheers!

John

Hi John

Like the comfort shirt with bowling collar.

Two more budget alternatives from Marks & Spencer

Cotton rich revere polo shirt. Budget alternative for SP Tangiers polo. £29.50

Quilted jacket. SP clinic alternative £49.50.

Looking forward to the short sleeve polo alternatives.

@Mailfist perfect timing! Here's the updated post on the polos.

I did come across that M&S polo during my hunt. But as you'll see, there are so many great options for the SPECTRE one that I decided not to include it. But that quilted jacket is awesome! Do you have the link? If not, I'll just search for it on their website.

I also added a separate section for the QoS TF polo this time. Just in case any of us needs another blue polo ... 😁

Cheers!

John

• Obi Sean KenobiObi Sean Kenobi Posts: 215MI6 Agent
    edited May 27

Hi!

The Barbour Covert is on sale at Farfetch for $97!

https://www.farfetch.com/shopping/men/barbour-x-engineered-garments-covert-bond-jacket-item-16111660.aspx

Sizes small to XXL in stock when I last checked.

Edit: seems like the link isn't working. Just search for Barbour Covert

@Obi Sean Kenobi I saw those AGs in the store and they are actually quite nice!

• SadanoyamaSadanoyama Posts: 10MI6 Agent

Thanks lads for all these great suggestions. This year I'm trying to build up my camp-collar wardrobe and I've pulled the trigger on many of the suggestions on here and the Iconic Alternatives site. Cheers for all the tips. But I'm finding that dealing with camp-collar shirts' fit and sizing is a bit trickier than standard shirts and polos. There's a fine line between a camp-collar shirt that drapes well and the more voluminous Hawaiian circus tent variety. Regarding my experience so far, I'm happy to share my ten shillings.

FYI, I'm 52 years old, 6ft 2", in decent shape, certainly not peak-Connery but then again in no way peak-John Goodman. I live in Japan so now the summer is kicking in there are a lot of opportunities to wear this stuff.

Orlebar Brown TB Navy camp-collar, size XL.

Expensive, not excessively well made for the price, but it fits well. Good strong navy colour. It looks good on.

Ted Baker Chatley in Pink Shirt size 5.

A nice shirt, a bit looser fitting than the OB but decent enough. Looks good on, but my main gripe is with the colour. On the website the pink colour looks vivid and bold but in real life it's sightly washed out and the mixed fabric also reflects the light in an odd way, again kind of like an item of clothing that's been worn many times. The collar gorge is deeper than the OB so if you do have luxuriant chest hair then this could be your big chance. Overall, good but it won't be the end of my quest for a definitive pink Thunderball shirt.

Harmony Short Sleeve Christophe Shirt-Light Blue Stripe size L

Actually, as a skinflint, I would have preferred to have bought the (cheaper) Mango shirt option but they don't deliver to Japan. Damn American isolationists. Anyway, the Christophe. Solid quality shirt, lovely fabric, good stripe placing. Nice fit on the shoulders and chest. A bit pricey for what it is. The main issue I have is with the length of the shirt. The OB and Ted shirts are both 32 inches long from collar to hem, good for me as I'm tall. But the Christophe shirt is 29 inches in length. Not terrible but not as balanced, a bit "boxier" looking, in the overall ensemble. No excess hem so can't really get it adjusted. We'll see how it goes when worn out in the field.

Cubavera Cross Dye linen Shirt in Chinchilla size L

Great colour, great match for Big Sean's original. As soon as I unwrapped the shirt, I chuckled, "Welcome to Japan, dad." But then disaster. The sizing is off. Is this a US thing? The fit is very baggy and billowy which is a shame as everything else is so on point. There's a genius seamstress with a little shop just down the road, so I've given her the shirt to see if she can retrieve something from the wreckage. We live in hope.

So as you can see, for me, buying camp-collar shirts has become a deep voyage of spiritual growth and discovery. The journey continues. Thanks to the legend that is Mailfist, I'm now awaiting delivery of two Revere shirts from Marks & Sparks. Their stuff usually fits me well. I hope they past muster. Surely they will. Come on England!

edited May 29

@Sadanoyama those are some great insights, thanks so much for sharing! Shame to hear about that Ted Baker, I had high hopes for that one. And Harmony is a bit more of a streetwear brand, so the boxier fit isn't surprising. But it defintiely won't be for everyone.

Post update: Bond's long sleeve summer shirts

This is a MASSIVE post and I've tried to cover everything from the gingham cabana shirt from FRWL up to the Connolly from NTTD. And I added another Dalton shirt this year. Look forward to hearing what you guys think!

John

• blackhawks1229blackhawks1229 Posts: 71MI6 Agent

Anyone have a quality alternative to the Madagascar linen trousers? Proving to be more difficult to find the proper color or something close

After the craziness that was May and pouring over hundreds of shirts, I'm going to take a breather for a couple of days. But I want to start checking out pants next week before I tackle swimwear