Budget Bond Collectors Resource

Comments

• ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    edited November 2016
    Speaking of funerals, I've found myself in need of suitable funeral attire for a very dear relative who died last week, my uncle was like a dad to me and I wanted to dress appropriately, I'm also being a pall bearer, now you may find this shallow but I take a lot of inspiration from bonds outfits and I've re-looked at bonds 3 funeral outfits, DAF, twine and of course sp. The sp outfit was an undercover outfit for a mafiosa funeral and a bit too fancy with the collar pin and peak lapels, connerys in DAF is a classic black suit and works well as does brosnans, but he wears a grey suit under his black overcoat. I've ended up with a Daniel hechter pure wool black suit, single breasted with two buttons, it has double vents and sloped pockets just bought this for £155. as this is UK in December I'll be wearing a black cashmere overcoat, single breasted which is just above knee length. I have the pinks sp alternative tie, along with a double cuff white m&s shirt from their made to measure range, to finish off I've just bought some double Monk black shoes full leather for the amazing price of £18 new! I'll let you know how those pan out.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • CheverianCheverian Posts: 1,452MI6 Agent
    Weren't you going to do a post on where we could save? :)
  • PortentPortent Posts: 30MI6 Agent
    A few days ago I posted this link as a budget alternative to the QoS Haiti Y3. I thought I'd add a few initial opinions on it. I'll try to get some pictures at some point.

http://uk.lee.com/product/zip-jacket/L88XAREB

Firstly it's not very screen accurate for several reasons:

* It's denim rather than a cotton / polyester blend.
    * It has zippers on the wrist closure rather than buttons.
    * It has a great big zipper on one side of the chest.
    * It has zip outer pockets.
    * It is blue rather than black.

I had actually tried to cancel the order but it was sent before I was able to. It arrived today so I thought I may as well take a look at it. Very surprisingly I like it so much as a jacket (not necessarily as a Y3 alternative) that I'm considering keeping it.

Secondly a few negative points:

* I don't like the zipper on the chest. I have several leather jackets with similar features which I like. But I'm not sure on this jacket.
    * There are no inside pockets.
    * The jacket doesn't actually know what it's trying to be. It seems based on the motoracer or cafe racer style of slim jacket. But it's made of denim and has a spread collar rather than a stand up collar for that style of jacket.

But now we get onto the good points:

* The fit of the Y3 is what most of us are looking for. This jacket fits very similarly. It's very slim and fitted. I am 5ft 8in tall and approximately 75kg in weight (11st 4lb). Although not a large person I do have fairly broad shoulders for my size and regular gym work means I am lucky to have a chest approximately 39in and a waist approximately 30in or 31in. I bought a size medium. This jacket is very fitted on me. The waist can be adjusted with button side tabs but I didn't need to. The waist and chest hug me very closely to the point of only really being able to fit a t-shirt underneath. It also gives me that slightly snug look around the chest (but not too much). The shoulders fit very well for me. I found it very comfortable even though snug.

* The colour is a very dark midnight blue which I love. It appears darker than in the picture I linked to although I've not taken it outside to broad daylight yet. It goes well with light jeans and black jeans. I haven't tried with blue jeans yet but it will obviously depend on the shade of blue. It doesn't actually look very much like denim unless close up (a good thing in my opinion).

* Although not screen accurate I do like the zipped wrist closure (again something I'm used to from several leather jackets). It adds some interesting detail and makes the jacket different from a lot of others.

I doubt I would pay full price for this jacket but at 30% off in a sale it's just about cheap enough for me to consider keeping it. I really do love the fit of the jacket. The only point that might be a deal breaker for me is the chest zip. But the fit is so great I think I'll probably overlook it and keep it anyway. It's not close enough to the Y3 to be a real alternative. But if all you want is a versatile jacket with the same sort of very fitted look then it's worth a consideration.
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent
    I received the black shawl collar cardigans from Urban Outfitters today. I ordered a medium and a small since it was buy one get one one half off for Black Friday. The small cost $39 while the medium cost $19.50.

Bottom line is they both fit. The small is a slim fit that reminds me of the Club Monaco cardigan size large from two years ago. Surprisingly the sleeves are long enough. The medium has a little room, but it's not overly baggy on me. I'd guess it's a more SA look.

So which to keep? Probably the medium. For under $20 it wins. (If the small had been the cheaper one I'd keep that one.)
  • _Stocks_Stocks EnglandPosts: 391MI6 Agent
    I received the black shawl collar cardigans from Urban Outfitters today. I ordered a medium and a small since it was buy one get one one half off for Black Friday. The small cost $39 while the medium cost $19.50.

Bottom line is they both fit. The small is a slim fit that reminds me of the Club Monaco cardigan size large from two years ago. Surprisingly the sleeves are long enough. The medium has a little room, but it's not overly baggy on me. I'd guess it's a more SA look.

So which to keep? Probably the medium. For under $20 it wins. (If the small had been the cheaper one I'd keep that one.)

Pictures, Mr D? What is to become of the small?
    Murder | Employment.
    edited December 2016
    Portent wrote:
    A few days ago I posted this link as a budget alternative to the QoS Haiti Y3. I thought I'd add a few initial opinions on it. I'll try to get some pictures at some point.

http://uk.lee.com/product/zip-jacket/L88XAREB

Firstly it's not very screen accurate for several reasons:

* It's denim rather than a cotton / polyester blend.
    * It has zippers on the wrist closure rather than buttons.
    * It has a great big zipper on one side of the chest.
    * It has zip outer pockets.
    * It is blue rather than black.

I had actually tried to cancel the order but it was sent before I was able to. It arrived today so I thought I may as well take a look at it. Very surprisingly I like it so much as a jacket (not necessarily as a Y3 alternative) that I'm considering keeping it.

Secondly a few negative points:

* I don't like the zipper on the chest. I have several leather jackets with similar features which I like. But I'm not sure on this jacket.
    * There are no inside pockets.
    * The jacket doesn't actually know what it's trying to be. It seems based on the motoracer or cafe racer style of slim jacket. But it's made of denim and has a spread collar rather than a stand up collar for that style of jacket.

But now we get onto the good points:

* The fit of the Y3 is what most of us are looking for. This jacket fits very similarly. It's very slim and fitted. I am 5ft 8in tall and approximately 75kg in weight (11st 4lb). Although not a large person I do have fairly broad shoulders for my size and regular gym work means I am lucky to have a chest approximately 39in and a waist approximately 30in or 31in. I bought a size medium. This jacket is very fitted on me. The waist can be adjusted with button side tabs but I didn't need to. The waist and chest hug me very closely to the point of only really being able to fit a t-shirt underneath. It also gives me that slightly snug look around the chest (but not too much). The shoulders fit very well for me. I found it very comfortable even though snug.

* The colour is a very dark midnight blue which I love. It appears darker than in the picture I linked to although I've not taken it outside to broad daylight yet. It goes well with light jeans and black jeans. I haven't tried with blue jeans yet but it will obviously depend on the shade of blue. It doesn't actually look very much like denim unless close up (a good thing in my opinion).

* Although not screen accurate I do like the zipped wrist closure (again something I'm used to from several leather jackets). It adds some interesting detail and makes the jacket different from a lot of others.

I doubt I would pay full price for this jacket but at 30% off in a sale it's just about cheap enough for me to consider keeping it. I really do love the fit of the jacket. The only point that might be a deal breaker for me is the chest zip. But the fit is so great I think I'll probably overlook it and keep it anyway. It's not close enough to the Y3 to be a real alternative. But if all you want is a versatile jacket with the same sort of very fitted look then it's worth a consideration.

Now a pic... probably better with different colour jeans but it lets you see the fitted nature of the jacket.

m2Siea1.jpg
  • James BrosnanJames Brosnan Posts: 865MI6 Agent
    That is a nice fit Portent. Good find and great review! {[]
    "Whoever she was, I must have scared the living daylights out of her." & "Tell mother I died game."
    CR/QoS, TLD, DN, GE, TSWLM, LTK, TND, TWiNE, TMWTGG, TB
    http://www.iconicalternatives.com/author/james-brosnan/
    https://www.instagram.com/shawn.michael.bongiorno/
  • canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent
    Winners of the Reader Appreciation Contest are now announced on the site!!! -{ -{ -{

http://www.iconicalternatives.com/2016/11/26/first-anniversary-reader-appreciation-contest/

And today is Iconic Alternatives 1st Anniversary! Can't say it enough: Thanks for the support and for helping the site to grow! {[] {[]
  • _Stocks_Stocks EnglandPosts: 391MI6 Agent
    canoe2 wrote:
    Winners of the Reader Appreciation Contest are now announced on the site!!! -{ -{ -{

http://www.iconicalternatives.com/2016/11/26/first-anniversary-reader-appreciation-contest/

And today is Iconic Alternatives 1st Anniversary! Can't say it enough: Thanks for the support and for helping the site to grow! {[] {[]

Congratulations winners and thank you for all the work you do and developing such a great site. "Iconic" in every way, one of my favourite places to go on the web.
    Murder | Employment.
  • LeflerjLeflerj Posts: 30MI6 Agent
    I didn't happen to win either, but the site is a fantastic resource that I've used multiple times. I truly appreciate the effort -{
    As requested, sp London outfit with the best IA option for the Neil Barretts.

20161201_190439.jpg

20161201_190406.jpg
    For some reason the jacket has photographed far more blue than it is? And the trousers a couple of shades lighter than they are, the sweater is about right..... Go figure?
    Chriscoop wrote:

20161201_190439.jpg

20161201_190406.jpg
    For some reason the jacket has photographed far more blue than it is? And the trousers a couple of shades lighter than they are, the sweater is about right..... Go figure?

Good stuff man. One of my favorite outfits from the movie. Those pants look great.
    "Whoever she was, I must have scared the living daylights out of her." & "Tell mother I died game."
  • goneontheroadgoneontheroad Posts: 168MI6 Agent
    Which pants are those? They do look great.
    Chriscoop wrote:

20161201_190439.jpg

20161201_190406.jpg

Good stuff man. One of my favorite outfits from the movie. Those pants look great.
    They were a great find, never owned anything from burtons before! And they've made this outfit more wearable for me. Intact I'm putting it on tomorrow.
  • canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent
    Thanks for the pics Chriscoop! And I didn't get a chance to tell you I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you and your family are doing well.

New post is up. Got some help from Instagrammer What's Daniel Wearing to take a look at some DC inspired luggage!

http://www.iconicalternatives.com/2016/12/02/daniel-craig-bags-luggage/
    edited December 2016
    canoe2 wrote:
    Thanks for the pics Chriscoop! And I didn't get a chance to tell you I'm sorry for your loss. I hope you and your family are doing well.

New post is up. Got some help from Instagrammer What's Daniel Wearing to take a look at some DC inspired luggage!

Thank you canoe2 {[]

And London outfit on today.

20161202_161442.jpg
    Chriscoop wrote:
    canoe2 wrote:

Thank you canoe2 {[]

And London outfit on today.

20161202_161442.jpg

Fantastic Chris. So freaking jealous! I would also like to second my condolences for your loss. I noticed you picked a funeral outfit inspired by what Bond has worn at funerals. Very cool man. Some may not understand why a person would want to dress up as Bond for a funeral, but I can tell you that I get it man. This hobby runs deep. My condolences to you and yours. -{
    Cheers JB and thanks for your thoughts, the London outfit is actually a very usable and practical, at least for me here in the UK. The weather is mild for winter but winter none the less. I had a meeting late afternoon then drinks with family in a upmarket pub, so this outfit worked well, my goddaughter/ cousin who is only 24 and works in the fashion industry was impressed with the ensemble " you always look so smart and appropriate "She said..... Clever girl that one.
    It's also her father we are saying goodbye to on Wednesday, I'm a pall bearer and she asked what I'm wearing, I have the thumbs up, the double Monks make this outfit stand out, and having a bond influence has distracted me in my alone kids and wife gone to bed moments so all good, and I'll look appropriate. Can't recommend the Daniel hechter suits enough, it looks tailored.
  • Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent
    Chris

Sorry for your loss as others have said this hobby retired runs deep. I actually wore a similar black 3 piece and overcoat to a funeral last year. Even had the chance to war the Snowdons due to bright sunny day. It was a fitting send off and my departed would have appreciated the effort and the style. As you say some nice comments even at the wake as well. Nothing wrong in looking your best for such an occasion. Naturally to finish it off I had my Omega SPECTRE SM300 on my wrist too boot - DB10 was assigned too 008 for the day unfortunately :D

I hope all goes well for you and the family

Cheers :007)

IMG_4913.jpg
    My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!
    Criscoop - I'm newish here so don't really know people. But I'm sorry for your loss.

Bond44 - That looks very well put together. Obviously a sad occasion but nevertheless well done. Stunning.
  • hcantrellhcantrell CharlottePosts: 170MI6 Agent
    Is there no longer free worldwide shipping on the Royale replica Skyfall Swim Shorts?
    "I don't think the dead care about vengeance."
  • JellyfishJellyfish EnglandPosts: 465MI6 Agent
    Here are a couple of possible alternatives for the Skyfall N. Peal jumper I found while browsing clearance section of the Charles Tyrwhitt website (only available in XS):
    http://www.ctshirts.com/uk/teal-merino-wool-crew-neck-jumper/KNJ0067TEL.html
    http://www.ctshirts.com/uk/pine-green-merino-wool-crew-neck-jumper/KNJ0067GRN.html

SPECTRE Morocco jacket (again, limited sizes):
    http://www.ctshirts.com/uk/classic-fit-beige-linen-jacket/SEF0090BGE.html
    http://www.ctshirts.com/uk/slim-fit-beige-linen-jacket/SEF0089BGE.html
    Thank you bond44 and portent -{
    Bond44 you look very smart and fitting for such an occasion. I'm of the same opinion, I always try to look my best and this is no exception.
  • James BoldmanJames Boldman Amherst, MAPosts: 461MI6 Agent
    edited December 2016
    Bond44 wrote:
    Chris

Sorry for your loss as others have said this hobby retired runs deep. I actually wore a similar black 3 piece and overcoat to a funeral last year. Even had the chance to war the Snowdons due to bright sunny day. It was a fitting send off and my departed would have appreciated the effort and the style. As you say some nice comments even at the wake as well. Nothing wrong in looking your best for such an occasion. Naturally to finish it off I had my Omega SPECTRE SM300 on my wrist too boot - DB10 was assigned too 008 for the day unfortunately :D

I hope all goes well for you and the family

Cheers :007)

IMG_4913.jpg
    I too lost someone close to me and wore my Tom Ford Snowdon and my Baron Boutique Skyfall suit to the funeral as a pall bearer.
    FB_IMG_1480783352629.jpg
  • OrnithologistOrnithologist BerlinPosts: 584MI6 Agent
    Sorry if I've overlooked something but did we ever find decent alternatives to the Canada Goose Hoody? Only thing I can remember was from Uniqlo and I found them way too shiny and they are also missing the hood. Now one could argue a down jacket isn't really that iconic (edit: also just remembered it wasn't even on screen lol) but this time of the year I'd love to find one in a similar style. Meaning no shiny nonsense, with a hood and not overly long. Ideally close in color. Any hints?
    "I'm afraid I'm a complicated woman. "
    "- That is something to be afraid of."
    Sorry if I've overlooked something but did we ever find decent alternatives to the Canada Goose Hoody? Only thing I can remember was from Uniqlo and I found them way too shiny and they are also missing the hood. Now one could argue a down jacket isn't really that iconic (edit: also just remembered it wasn't even on screen lol) but this time of the year I'd love to find one in a similar style. Meaning no shiny nonsense, with a hood and not overly long. Ideally close in color. Any hints?
    There are loads of options on eBay, I've even.come across a "Daniel Craig" listed one, but if you want decent quality Ralph Lauren do one
    https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=blue+duck+down+coat+mens&client=ms-android-sonymobile&sa=X&biw=360&bih=512&tbs=cat:5598,pdtr0:938026%7C938027,pdtr1:966366%7C977575,color:specific,color_val:blue,vw:g,init_ar:SgVKAwjeK0oKUggIqqA5IKugOUoKUggI3v06IKfVOw%3D%3D&tbm=shop&prmd=simvn&srpd=2317545012485192806&prds=epd:14531572912333147114,paur:ClkAsKraX6DABeHPtWX5jsiZKcT75lIDtaYBNzQ6pCjZshWOv8TZhPLkVo9WAzzYLtdhEdatMivFyg1pQpkQJedRfXN7DhG7UIZMl2sr9nIYwYCDc0FSUiu3jRIZAFPVH725YrwBE1cw0aV_DnZrtLUiuwNxlw,cdl:1,cid:7187950553263113724&ved=0ahUKEwjVh6Oj-tnQAhVHLsAKHUoIBLMQgTYI1wQ
    Obviously not cheap but a decent down jacket will last for years I can't remember what my lodge hoody cost but I know It will be worn often for many winters to come.
  • kaddkadd Posts: 917MI6 Agent
    Only "budget" when compared to the TF, but here is a Ralph Lauren QoS style cardigan in a very rare black colour

Collar looks nice and wide like the original. And 100% cashmere

http://www.ralphlauren.com/product/index.jsp?productId=99309056&SiteId=TnL5HPStwNw-kttSD4_IOCWoiw.zjXRn5g&utm_source=Affiliate&utm_medium=TnL5HPStwNw-kttSD4_IOCWoiw.zjXRn5g&eESource=LINK_AD:Z:POLO:TnL5HPStwNw