Budget Bond Collectors Resource

Comments

• HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,330MI6 Agent
    I feel like these were unavailable for a bit but appear to be back. A (comparatively) affordable sub for the Tom Ford polo, yet still from a Bond-associated brand. I have this in two colors and it's a wonderful piece:

https://www.johnsmedley.com/us/mens/shop-by-style/polo-shirts/ss18-noah-in-navy-sea-island-cotton-shirt

noah_navy_main_5.jpg

noah_serge_blue_main.jpg
  • canoe2canoe2 Posts: 2,007MI6 Agent
    HalfMonk HalfHitman, those Smedley polos look great!

Heads up: I learned on Dappered.com that Huckberry is running big sale right now. Two boots of interest:

The Astroflex Chelsea in Dark Khaki is $100. Good alternative for the Gilchrists and people seem to really love them. The sole is natural rubber. I just ordered a pair to give them a spin.

https://huckberry.com/store/astorflex/category/p/38753-bitflex-chelsea-dark-khaki

43xr03PlkH_astorflex_bitflex_chelsea-dark_khaki_0_original.jpg?auto=compress%2Cformat&cs=tinysrgb&fit=max&w=500

And the Astorflex Bootflex in Stone looks like a decent lightweight alternative for the Kentons. $129.98 and again with the natural rubber sole

https://huckberry.com/store/astorflex/category/p/48570-bootflex-stone

bootflex_-_stone_1__1.jpg

Huckberry seems to have a good selection of sizes left in both boots
  • coaram94coaram94 Posts: 99MI6 Agent
    I have both of those boots and can attest that they are wonderfully made and very comfortable. They do run a half size small though. I ordered another pair of Chelsea boots from the sale!
    Just a quick FYI: a good friend of mine has the website BAMF Style and he wrote an article for Primer on the brands of clothing Bond has used through the years. Fun read!

https://www.primermagazine.com/2018/learn/james-bond-clothing-brands
  • Westward_DriftWestward_Drift Posts: 3,091MI6 Agent
    canoe2 wrote:
    Just a quick FYI: a good friend of mine has the website BAMF Style and he wrote an article for Primer on the brands of clothing Bond has used through the years. Fun read!

Nice article. A couple omissions, and he got the color of the John Varvatos jacket wrong, however.
  • angelicbondangelicbond Posts: 194MI6 Agent
    Got an email from Sunspel saying the Riviera polo is 15% off this weekend. Still too rich for my blood, but others may get use from it:-)

CE48664_A-5_AE3-4_E3_B-8831-7_A7_F16_D269_E0.jpg
    Instagram: mybudgetbond
    Twitter: @mybudgetbond1
    Canoe2, with summer coming up, perhaps some budget Thunderball espadrilles? I've never been able to find a decent version with the blue color and elastic.
    Westward_Drift: You got it!
  • Dirty PunkerDirty Punker ...Your Eyes Only, darling."Posts: 2,587MI6 Agent
    canoe2 wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, though he's never posted, he's a member over here.
    Been reading his blog for months now, a gentleman and a scholar.
    a reasonable rate of return
    canoe2 wrote:

If I'm not mistaken, though he's never posted, he's a member over here.
    Been reading his blog for months now, a gentleman and a scholar.

He's a great guy! I know he joined AJB a while ago, but I haven't seen him post much here.
  • Bond44Bond44 Vauxhall CrossPosts: 1,581MI6 Agent
    Finally got the £5.00 Sta Prest 306’s tailored not sure if the QOS SA colour but I really like them getting quiet a collection.

680_C6_E0_A-_F591-478_E-8_B3_D-4634_C1_CA9_FB4.jpg

Hard to tell if the SA colour is actually more like that on the left in the style of those on the right!

56_F25277-_A2_DD-4_F23-95_DF-_E9_ED34_EB18_FF.jpg

Cheers :007)
    My name is Bond, Basildon Bond - I have letters after my name!
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    Bond44 wrote:
    Finally got the £5.00 Sta Prest 306’s tailored not sure if the QOS SA colour but I really like them getting quiet a collection.

Hard to tell if the SA colour is actually more like that on the left in the style of those on the right!

Very nice, I'll be wearing my Talamone outfit tomorrow weather permitting to collect the new qos motor. I'd say far right looks close to the Talamone jeans.
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
    Those are such a great find. I actually found a pair of vintage ones in a good "Haiti" color. Unfortunately they are way too small for me (29 waist I think?) but I'll use them for photos

20180413_065207.jpg

20180413_065246.jpg

20180413_065459.jpg

No other tags in them. The label is small "e" and they have a YKK zipper, so I'm thinking they're from the 90s
    Chriscoop wrote:
    Bond44 wrote:

Very nice, I'll be wearing my Talamone outfit tomorrow weather permitting to collect the new qos motor. I'd say far right looks close to the Talamone jeans.

Hi Chris - yeah I thought the same they (the ones on the right) look darker inside and lighter under natural light. But if you look at the ones in QOS they seem lighter (more like the colour of those on the left) but that was in bright sun light.

Still either way I like them so they are coming on my trip with me (plus the TF Cardi)

canoe2 wrote:
    Those are such a great find. I actually found a pair of vintage ones in a good "Haiti" color. Unfortunately they are way too small for me (29 waist I think?) but I'll use them for photos

20180413_065207.jpg

20180413_065246.jpg

20180413_065459.jpg

No other tags in them. The label is small "e" and they have a YKK zipper, so I'm thinking they're from the 90s

Very nice find. Shame they don't fit! - If you ever want a good home for them let me know been looking out for a pair of them for ages :D

Makes me cry back in the 80's/ 90's Sta Prest was all the range with a certain crowd I hung out with (all Polos, Sta Prest and Dealer Boots mit braces until I started to prefer fishtail parkers and Vespers), but all my gear went way before I became interested in Bond and he went and made them all fashionable again!! (well most off them)

• DanielCDanielC Posts: 65MI6 Agent
    Bond44 wrote:

Nice collection! I got a pair with a color similiar to the one in the middle. Levi's 541 made in 2017, but tailored since they were huge in the waist and thigs. Really comfortable material though.

White can look weird in the winter (not to mention dirt really shows). I think of beige as a more versatile option.
    Looking for a ROYALE Filmwear Talamone Shawl Collar Cardigan, size medium. Preferably in Europe, but the US would work as well. Feel free to send a PM!
  • drum007drum007 New York, NYPosts: 684MI6 Agent
    I'm liking this look! Pic of DC on the streets yesterday. Should be pretty easy to put this outfit together.

3ijgkp2j.jpg

ts6wq3xi.jpg
  • armenianmoviemanarmenianmovieman The 818Posts: 674MI6 Agent
    edited April 2018
    That looks like the Spectre Rome press conference tie?

EDIT: Men's Warehouse is having a sale, and a decent striped tie alternate is $7.99 right now as part of a daily deal..... which may be too late.

MW40_81TW_36_JOSEPH_ABBOUD_BLACK_SET?$40MainPDP$
    [url]
    https://www.menswearhouse.com/mens-clothing-accessories/ties/regular-length-ties/joseph-abboud-black-stripe-narrow-tie-81TW36[/url]
    Yes. Consssssiderably.
  • drum007drum007 New York, NYPosts: 684MI6 Agent
    Tie Bar has one that's a pretty close match to the Brunello.

https://www.thetiebar.com/product/32339tw?ResultCount=3
    ^^^^ That's very nice! ^^^^

I was just wondering.... did anybody pick up the Apt 9 Charcoal sharkskin dress pants from Kohls as an alternate for the Acne Wall Street trousers he wears in Shanghai? Anybody have any comparison opinions?

Thank you!
    Yes. Consssssiderably.
    canoe2 wrote:

Heads up: I learned on Dappered.com that Huckberry is running big sale right now. Two boots of interest:

The Astroflex Chelsea in Dark Khaki is $100. Good alternative for the Gilchrists and people seem to really love them. The sole is natural rubber. I just ordered a pair to give them a spin.

https://huckberry.com/store/astorflex/category/p/38753-bitflex-chelsea-dark-khaki

43xr03PlkH_astorflex_bitflex_chelsea-dark_khaki_0_original.jpg?auto=compress%2Cformat&cs=tinysrgb&fit=max&w=500

And the Astorflex Bootflex in Stone looks like a decent lightweight alternative for the Kentons. $129.98 and again with the natural rubber sole

I picked up the Chelsea boots for $108 with the promo code Astorflex40.
    canoe2 wrote:

I picked up the Chelsea boots for $108 with the promo code Astorflex40.

Loving mine so far. Stiffer than I thought they would be, but breaking in nicely!
  • lotusguy2001lotusguy2001 Posts: 132MI6 Agent
    I've got the apt 9 sharkskin pants. They are not super slim but the quality was decent for the price. They basically just look like charcoal grey dress pants. I'd compare them to perry Ellis so pretty typical. Hope that helps?
    I've got the apt 9 sharkskin pants. They are not super slim but the quality was decent for the price. They basically just look like charcoal grey dress pants. I'd compare them to perry Ellis so pretty typical. Hope that helps?

Thank you! I imagine they look pretty close to the Shanghai pants in person.
    Yes. Consssssiderably.
  • lotusguy2001lotusguy2001 Posts: 132MI6 Agent
    Yes they look pretty good, just not a lot of "sheen" I have been happy with them as an alternative and the poly fabric is pretty soft and not scratchy.
  • angelicbondangelicbond Posts: 194MI6 Agent
    Has anyone found a good alternative for the navy/purple/Indigo tie that he wears in the Q lab scene in Spectre? I just found what I think is a good alternative for the suit, and I have the shirt, now all I need is a good alternative for the tie to bring it all together :-)
    Instagram: mybudgetbond
    Twitter: @mybudgetbond1
    John. Smedley had a 20% sale last weekend in London and I took a chance and bagged a Noah in Navy. Had to size down due to limited sizes options on the shelf, but it worked in my favour for a more svelt look! Like the ribbed hem and sleeves some competition for for Sunspel polos this summer.

A good alternative to the TF SPECTRE equivalent. Seen here with my ALDO Boots and Top Man (SF Enjoying Death chinos)

8_F5289_FE-9_E42-4177-9_F49-_DA8875_E0_ADDB.jpg
    I really need to take a closer look at that Smedley polo. Speaking of which, J.Crew Factory (the lower end line) is running a big sale. They have their performance polo in Navy which could be a good alternative for the Sunspel/Tom Ford:

https://factory.jcrew.com/p/mens_clothing/new_arrivals/tees_polos_fleece/performance-polo/J0366?color_name=vast-ocean

J0366_BL8133?fmt=jpeg&qlt=90,0&resMode=sharp&op_usm=.1,0,0,0&wid=636&hei=636

On sale for about $15 is you use the code "SPRINGTIME". Please free shipping in the U.S. I believe.
    edited May 2018
    Having a QOS weekend this week and weekend after wearing my P.O. 2500 for first time in ages (been abroad for a few months) and finding my TF108’s in the cupboard - well seemed silly not to really :D

Yesterday

BAD2332_D-0_B37-4311-_BB86-_BC7295_F75059.jpg

Bond inspired Royale Haiti, Black Sunspel, white 501’s and Locke Kemptons enhanced with P.O. 2500 and TF 108’s

Today

66_A86_C99-6749-4247-8_EC9-08_AC019283_F7.jpg

Royale TF, Blue Sunspel, Levi’s 501’s and Loake Kemptons once again augmented with P.O. 2500 and TF 108’s

Tomorrow for family party in the evening.

143_D5_BD0-_EFF9-40_C3-9792-14_A2_CFAD9_BC4.jpg

White shirt, Royale Cardi (might go TF but there will be kids about!), sta prest and kemptons once again with the P.O. and 108’s.

Who says you cannot do Bond look on a budget - cosplay maybe but who gives a fig, life’s too short! :D

Have a good one all!

edited May 2018
    Anyone wants to invest in a Smedley product try discount code FFSS18 for 20% discount.

Enjoy all

Cheers