Next Bond after Craig: Rumours, etc

Comments

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    Jarvio wrote:
    as has been confirmed on this very site, that Craig tendered his notice when Spectre finished up.

I'm sorry, but how was this ever confirmed? Where was the proof ever? How is it any different from this recent mirror article by that logic?

Well, ultimately everything is hearsay. Depends on who you trust, I suppose.
  • The Red KindThe Red Kind EnglandPosts: 3,132MI6 Agent
    The whole 'slash my wrists' quote has been totally blown out of proportion. Okay, perhaps he shouldn't have put it quite like that at the time of promotion but it was just an off the cuff remark in relation to what had been months of very hard work and he probably was a bit fed up and tired.

The same can be said for Sir Steve Redgrave immediately after winning his fourth gold medal at the 1996 Olympics. “Anybody who sees me in a boat has my permission to shoot me,” He came back in 2000 to win one more.

People just immediately jumped on DC's comment and took it to mean he's quit Bond. It obviously continues to divide opinion.
    "Any of the opposition around..?"
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    edited July 2017
    Higgins wrote:
    The guys in the know better said that Craig never left :v

Who was that? Some AJB'ers were pretty confident he was a goner

E.g.
    Sir Miles wrote:

My insider info is the same as everyone else's...in so much as the person posted the information in this very thread :)) I just happen to believe him, he's never told fibs before and he hasn't now -{

The way I understand it is...DC 'resigned' as Bond nearly a year ago and Eon need a back up plan...so they got themselves one !

Sir Miles wrote:
    Same guys that told you Hiddleston was a done deal? ;)

No...not on that occasion...but the same guy that told me Mendes was coming back ;)

Your face will be a picture when Hiddleston is revealed :))

I presume Sir Miles was possibly hinting towards this post possibly:
    Asp9mm wrote:
    He had an option on a fifth. That was in his contract. So when he said he was contracted for one more, he wasn't lying. The contract is with him though, not EON. The ball was in his court, then he handed his cards in.

Asp9mm wrote:
    Broccoli wrote:
    Guys Daniel is coming back so cut the crap.

:))

I know ASP has insider info etc but not sure who else here has stated on this forum that DC is coming back.........

Have Sir Miles and ASPs opinions changed since then or still think he's not coming back?
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    As I said at the time I think there was some disagreement or dissatisfaction certainly from Dc and maybe waltz with the end result of Spectre. While filming and doing interview specials such as the Jonathan Ross programme both Craig's demeanour and waltz's were very upbeat Dc was even laughing when asked about bond 25, but during the promotion tour after filming things were very different in actuality Spectre ended up being exactly what Craig said he would never do in an interview the previous year. As a consequence of the press willfully misquoting him they created a whole he's quit story and maybe that gave him reason to consider his position or maybe not.
    Im not making excuses for him making a daft statement but I do understand it. When have we ever heard Dc or anyone from eon actually say Daniel Craig has left the role?
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • JarvioJarvio EnglandPosts: 4,236MI6 Agent
    Chriscoop wrote:
    When have we ever heard Dc or anyone from eon actually say Daniel Craig has left the role?

Nobody has. At least publicly anyway. That's what I mean when I say it's just never been confirmed, one way or the other.
    1 - LALD, 2 - AVTAK, 3 - LTK, 4 - OP, 5 - NTTD, 6 - FYEO, 7 - SF, 8 - DN, 9 - DAF, 10 - TSWLM, 11 - OHMSS, 12 - TMWTGG, 13 - GE, 14 - MR, 15 - TLD, 16 - YOLT, 17 - GF, 18 - DAD, 19 - TWINE, 20 - SP, 21 - TND, 22 - FRWL, 23 - TB, 24 - CR, 25 - QOS

1 - Moore, 2 - Dalton, 3 - Craig, 4 - Connery, 5 - Brosnan, 6 - Lazenby
  • James BoldmanJames Boldman Amherst, MAPosts: 461MI6 Agent
    Bond 25 posted on twitter: A newly-titled domain has been discovered: origin.007.com by @marketto007. it's currently listed under Fox servers...#Bond25
    I'm not sure what this means.
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:

I know ASP has insider info etc but not sure who else here has stated on this forum that DC is coming back.........

Have Sir Miles and ASPs opinions changed since then or still think he's not coming back?

Asp9mm has proven more than once that he does not know an a from an arse :)) :))
    He was not my insider, but was just lucky to get it right for this time :D

As for Sir Miles - how many roll-eyes do you want? 8-) 8-) 8-)
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    I see only yesterday on the TV that another actor is supposed to be the favorite to replace Daniel Craig. I do not know this mans name but those in the UK may have seen him on a TV advert about rolling the data from a mobile telephone service (I think this is sky TV but am not sure) The man is putting sugar lumps into his pocket. I think someone here will know this advertisement and put the name to the actor.
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,331Chief of Staff
    It's Tom Hardy, Joshua.
  • ichaiceichaice LondonPosts: 594MI6 Agent
    I'm hoping that DC is back for one more sporting an Omega PO 2500, various pairs of Crockett and Jones shoes, the Sunspel Riviera, Orlebar Brown swim shorts, Martin Campbell directing and an inspired script -{
    Yes. Considerably!
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 SwitzerlandPosts: 870MI6 Agent
    I recently watched the three fully produced scenes with James Brolin as James Bond in Octopussy. They are on the OP Blu-ray Special Features.

That makes me think that an American actor could work. I know that is a divisive topic. But to be honest I rather have an American that acts and looks like James Bond, than another Brit that turns Bond into a common action hero and doesn't look the part.
    Dalton Rulez™
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    edited July 2017
    I recently watched the three fully produced scenes with James Brolin as James Bond in Octopussy. They are on the OP Blu-ray Special Features.

That makes me think that an American actor could work. I know that is a divisive topic. But to be honest I rather have an American that acts and looks like James Bond, than another Brit that turns Bond into a common action hero and doesn't look the part.

A big part of acting and looking like James Bond to me is being able to pull off being British no matter the nationality of the actor.
    Brolin looked and moved fine in those scenes but the lack of a proper accent was a complete no-go for me. I wonder if Brolin had been chosen if EON would have had him coached up to do the accent? A British agent running around with a midwestern American accent would have gone beyond the suspension of disbelief even back in those days. With EON's willingness to dub actors back in those days I wonder if they would have had Brolin dubbed by a British actor? Just seems like it had potential disaster written all over it.
  • JoshuaJoshua Posts: 1,138MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    It's Tom Hardy, Joshua.

I put the name into my computer. This is the man. I do not know him or have not seen any films he is in, but I think he at least looks like he could be a good next James Bond.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 SwitzerlandPosts: 870MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:

A big part of acting and looking like James Bond to me is being able to pull off being British no matter the nationality of the actor.
    Brolin looked and moved fine in those scenes but the lack of a proper accent was a complete no-go for me. I wonder if Brolin had been chosen if EON would have had him coached up to do the accent? A British agent running around with a midwestern American accent would have gone beyond the suspension of disbelief even back in those days. With EON's willingness to dub actors back in those days I wonder if they would have had Brolin dubbed by a British actor? Just seems like it had potential disaster written all over it.

Cubby wanted Brolin to speak naturally and not use a British accent for those scenes.
    Dalton Rulez™
    ichaice wrote:
    I'm hoping that DC is back for one more sporting an Omega PO 2500, various pairs of Crockett and Jones shoes, the Sunspel Riviera, Orlebar Brown swim shorts, Martin Campbell directing and an inspired script -{

YeAh -{
  • ChriscoopChriscoop Belize Posts: 10,449MI6 Agent
    I'd settle for the inspired script, the rest would be a bonus....
    It was either that.....or the priesthood
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,580Chief of Staff
    JTM wrote:
    If it's true I'd just be very confused on how The Mirror got the exclusive scoop on such big news.

They didn't...this story has been going around for a few months...
    YNWA 97
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

E.g.
    Sir Miles wrote:

My insider info is the same as everyone else's...in so much as the person posted the information in this very thread :)) I just happen to believe him, he's never told fibs before and he hasn't now -{

The way I understand it is...DC 'resigned' as Bond nearly a year ago and Eon need a back up plan...so they got themselves one !

Sir Miles wrote:
    Same guys that told you Hiddleston was a done deal? ;)

No...not on that occasion...but the same guy that told me Mendes was coming back ;)

Asp9mm wrote:
    He had an option on a fifth. That was in his contract. So when he said he was contracted for one more, he wasn't lying. The contract is with him though, not EON. The ball was in his court, then he handed his cards in.

Asp9mm wrote:
    Broccoli wrote:
    Guys Daniel is coming back so cut the crap.

Long story short...DC resigned, he was finished...Hiddleston was tested and offered the gig on the understanding that DC could change his mind...looks like he might have...
    YNWA 97
    Hope he has!! Gone off Hiddleston!!!
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Hope he has!! Gone off Hiddleston!!!

I quite like Hiddleston...I would have liked to have seen what he would have done with Bond...but it's really all down to the script initially...
    YNWA 97
  • JTMJTM Posts: 3,027MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    JTM wrote:
    If it's true I'd just be very confused on how The Mirror got the exclusive scoop on such big news.

They didn't...this story has been going around for a few months...

This was the first I heard regarding BB trying to get Adele for 25 and Weisz being "on board with (Craig's) decision”
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:
    Higgins wrote:

E.g.
    Sir Miles wrote:

Sir Miles wrote:

Asp9mm wrote:

Asp9mm wrote:

Long story short...DC resigned, he was finished...Hiddleston was tested and offered the gig on the understanding that DC could change his mind...looks like he might have...
    If Craig resigned why would they say he can change his mind and come back?

I would direct your attention to the box office returns on his four films. And the aggregate critical consensus on his tenure doesn't hurt either.

DC is still under contract for one more...he wanted to quit - was pretty insistent apparently...but Eon decided to play the long game - with a prudent backup plan...
    YNWA 97
  • HalfMonk HalfHitmanHalfMonk HalfHitman USAPosts: 2,328MI6 Agent
    And yet there's Wilson saying "we don't have a contract" for another one with Craig in 2015. https://youtu.be/0zJlLeD6UfQ
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    And yet there's Wilson saying "we don't have a contract" for another one with Craig in 2015. https://youtu.be/0zJlLeD6UfQ

Apparently, MGW was playing games with the media here.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Really? Where did you hear this? I thought he seemed quite sincere
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:

I heard it from someone here, I think Sir Miles
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
    Matt S wrote:
    welshboy78 wrote:

I heard it from someone here, I think Sir Miles

Think about it this way: if it's true that there was a contract and EON was holding Craig's feet to the fire, it makes sense from a PR standpoint for MGW to distance them from that narrative. These are, I suspect, ruthless business people. I doubt we can accurately gauge their level of sincerity based on a YouTube clip.
    I assumed (and believe its been mentioned) DC had an option for a 5th if he wished to do it hence assumed Wilson basically is saying the ball was in DCs court and out of EONs control
This discussion has been closed.