Next Bond after Craig: Rumours, etc

Comments

• Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    welshboy78 wrote:
    I assumed (and believe its been mentioned) DC had an option for a 5th if he wished to do it hence assumed Wilson basically is saying the ball was in DCs court and out of EONs control

Yeah, I've seen it described both ways. I have no idea what to believe at this point. But it does look like he'll play Bond again. The question now becomes when?
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    Yeah too many contradictions! Hopefully some proper news soon -{
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    Higgins wrote:
    Don't you love your NE, Loeffs? :v

It isn't mine. ?:) My exposure is limited to store checkout lanes...and very random AJB posts.
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • HowardBHowardB USAPosts: 2,744MI6 Agent
    My first choice would be for Craig to return for one more but I would be fine with Hiddleston taking over. The bottom line is, Craig or Hiddleston we need a good script, the right Director, better musical score (David Arnold or Michael Giacchino please), and a moving on from all the backstory and emo stuff (personal demons such as alcohol, womanizing, penchant for violence, dark and sadistic sense of humor and an obsessive unyielding sense of duty are welcome however). If Craig is back, Jeffrey Wright should be back as Felix also. I don't think I'm asking for too much out of a 150 million plus budget. :)
  • LoeffelholzLoeffelholz The United States, With LovePosts: 8,990Quartermasters
    ^ +1 {[]
    Check out my Amazon author page! Mark Loeffelholz
    "I am not an entrant in the Shakespeare Stakes." - Ian Fleming
    "Screw 'em." - Daniel Craig, The Best James Bond EverTM
  • Sir MilesSir Miles The Wrong Side Of The WardrobePosts: 26,580Chief of Staff
    And yet there's Wilson saying "we don't have a contract" for another one with Craig in 2015. https://youtu.be/0zJlLeD6UfQ

It's all about the politics...DC is signed for a 5th (maybe it is 'optional' for both sides)...it's much like Dalton being signed for three but only doing two because both parties were happy to walk away...
    Obviously, over the last 12 months things have changed...the question should be - why? :v
    YNWA 97
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    Dalton being signed for three but only doing two because both parties were happy to walk away...

And we all are singing Kumba Ya for that !
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vo9AH4vG2wA
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,330Chief of Staff
    Higgins wrote:

And we all are singing Kumba Ya for that !

"We"...? :)) :)) :))
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,797MI6 Agent
    Speak for yourself, Higgins :))
  • HigginsHiggins GermanyPosts: 16,618MI6 Agent
    Pluralis Majestatis :D
    President of the 'Misty Eyes Club'.

Dalton - the weak and weepy Bond!
    Even if Craig's contract included a 5th I don't think EON would want to compromise Bond 25 with forcing Craig to do it, the possibility of having to sue Craig (EON has had enough enough of that aggravation over the years) and in this day of the internet, all the negative publicity and news that would ensue. Despite the negative publicity of Craig's "rather slit my wrists" comments, EON probably decided to take the high road and rather than reacting in anger decided to look at the big picture and not burn bridges with Craig and set in motion a scenario that would allow a window for Craig to return while protecting themselves with an investment by contracting a "Bond in waiting". I am sure Hiddleston has been well compensated for being "on call" and it wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't promised the Bond role for #26 even if Craig returns for one more (Hidddleston is only 36).
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    Maybe it's just the dog days of summer and with so many people on vacation there's a shortage of decent news, but this Mirror story has been picked up by news outlets all over the world and reported as fact. Many of them don't even mention the Mirror, they just cut to the chase and say "Craig back for next Bond" not "Newspaper reports that Craig's back for next Bond." That could be laziness and/or a desperation for news, or maybe others have done their due diligence and come to the same conclusion as the Mirror. It's hard to say but although this is more or less the same story we've seen before over the past months, this one has been treated very differently.
  • welshboy78welshboy78 Posts: 10,293MI6 Agent
    HowardB wrote:
    Even if Craig's contract included a 5th I don't think EON would want to compromise Bond 25 with forcing Craig to do it, the possibility of having to sue Craig (EON has had enough enough of that aggravation over the years) and in this day of the internet, all the negative publicity and news that would ensue. Despite the negative publicity of Craig's "rather slit my wrists" comments, EON probably decided to take the high road and rather than reacting in anger decided to look at the big picture and not burn bridges with Craig and set in motion a scenario that would allow a window for Craig to return while protecting themselves with an investment by contracting a "Bond in waiting". I am sure Hiddleston has been well compensated for being "on call" and it wouldn't surprise me if he wasn't promised the Bond role for #26 even if Craig returns for one more (Hidddleston is only 36).

Well I think we all know DC is huge pals with Babs, they love him and he is box office gold so imagine they are more then willing to have given him time out to think about it all / reconsider.

DC or Fassbender are the only ones who appeal to me out of the names the press spit out over the last few years
    Instagram - bondclothes007
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Sir Miles wrote:
    And yet there's Wilson saying "we don't have a contract" for another one with Craig in 2015. https://youtu.be/0zJlLeD6UfQ

It's all about the politics...DC is signed for a 5th (maybe it is 'optional' for both sides)...it's much like Dalton being signed for three but only doing two because both parties were happy to walk away...
    Obviously, over the last 12 months things have changed...the question should be - why? :v

I wonder if we are in Brosnan territory, with Hiddleston being the nearly man in waiting??
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • bonded123bonded123 Posts: 291MI6 Agent
    edited July 2017
    Given that Craig hasn't said "I quit, I won't be returning" - perhaps that's the best sign he will return? What I mean is if he's decided he doesn't want to come back for a fifth film why keep secret about it?

His new film Logan Lucky is out August 18th and he could state his position during that film's press junket. Someone is likely to ask him "are you doing another Bond film?" If he doesn't mention quitting - if he's vague or non-committal about his return - then it's reasonable to assume he's holding out as long as possible in the hope of securing a big fee. That tactic could backfire. B Broccoli might have a change of mind and think "it's time for a new actor at a cheaper price." We all know she loves Craig and his take on Bond but she's a smart businesswoman. A new Bond actor can invigorate the franchise, and at a much cheaper price tag, so she might forget Craig. "Nothing personal, Daniel, just business!"
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    If Dunkirk bombs (gross under $400 million) or semi-bombs (gross $400-600 million), which I sincerely hope it doesn't, then Nolan may be more agreeable to doing Bond 25.
    bonded123 wrote:
    Given that Craig hasn't said "I quit, I won't be returning" - perhaps that's the best sign he will return? What I mean is if he's decided he doesn't want to come back for a fifth film why keep secret about it?

His new film Logan Lucky is out August 18th and he could state his position during that film's press junket. Someone is likely to ask him "are you doing another Bond film?" If he doesn't mention quitting - if he's vague or non-committal about his return - then it's reasonable to assume he's holding out as long as possible in the hope of securing a big fee. That tactic could backfire. B Broccoli might have a change of mind and think "it's time for a new actor at a cheaper price." We all know she loves Craig and his take on Bond but she's a smart businesswoman. A new Bond actor can invigorate the franchise, and at a much cheaper price tag, so she might forget Craig. "Nothing personal, Daniel, just business!"

I have my doubts it's just Craig holding out to get the most money possible. EON, by most accounts, was not ready to part ways with Craig. Despite not living up to the financial and critical standards set by Skyfall, SPECTRE was still a huge hit. EON might need to assess and then correct the issues that held back SPECTRE from topping or equaling Skyfall but Craig was certainly not the problem.
  • The Domino EffectThe Domino Effect Posts: 3,631MI6 Agent
    edited July 2017
    Gala Brand wrote:
    If Dunkirk bombs (gross under $400 million) or semi-bombs (gross $400-600 million), which I sincerely hope it doesn't, then Nolan may be more agreeable to doing Bond 25.

I can't wait to see it (already bought my tickets) and think it looks excellent from the previews, but I would be amazed if it even breaks $200m. It shouldn't do very well in the U.S. It might do okay in Canada and Australia but will struggle elsewhere. It's an unfamiliar storyline in the U.S., has no American angle or American actors and I don't see it having any names big enough to draw in American audiences on their own - with the possible exception of teenage girls and Harry Styles! - other than Christopher Nolan. And it's the middle of summer. I really hope I'm wrong, but without even knowing what it's competition is on opening weekend, I'd be surprised if it tops the U.S. box office.
  • Matt SMatt S Oh Cult Voodoo ShopPosts: 6,596MI6 Agent
    Gala Brand wrote:

I can't wait to see it (already bought my tickets) and think it looks excellent from the previews, but I would be amazed if it even breaks $200m. It should do very well in the U.S. It might do okay in Canada and Australia but will struggle elsewhere. It's an unfamiliar storyline in the U.S., has no American angle or American actors and I don't see it having any names big enough to draw in American audiences on their own - with the possible exception of teenage girls and Harry Styles! - other than Christopher Nolan. And it's the middle of summer. I really hope I'm wrong, but without even knowing what it's competition is on opening weekend, I'd be surprised if it tops the U.S. box office.

Tom Hardy and Kenneth Branaugh are in it, and they're both very popular in America. It seems like even most American films these days star British actors, so I don't think that there aren't American actors makes a difference. July is a huge time for movies. If it was released in September I'd be concerned.
    Visit my blog, Bond Suits
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    Gala Brand wrote:

I can't wait to see it (already bought my tickets) and think it looks excellent from the previews, but I would be amazed if it even breaks $200m. It should do very well in the U.S. It might do okay in Canada and Australia but will struggle elsewhere. It's an unfamiliar storyline in the U.S., has no American angle or American actors and I don't see it having any names big enough to draw in American audiences on their own - with the possible exception of teenage girls and Harry Styles! - other than Christopher Nolan. And it's the middle of summer. I really hope I'm wrong, but without even knowing what it's competition is on opening weekend, I'd be surprised if it tops the U.S. box office.
    I think Dunkirk is going to do extremely well over here, not Marvel numbers obviously but I highly doubt it will be a flop.
  • Number24Number24 NorwayPosts: 21,797MI6 Agent
    edited July 2017
    First you write that "Dunkirk" should so very well in the US. Then you writre several reasons why it won't do well in the US. I'm confused .......
    I think Dunkirk will do very well.....even in the USA. It will bring adults back to the movies who don't have much to choose from in mid summer. The Nolan pedigree will help and good reviews can really make or break that type of film and the first reviews I have seen have been very positive. The film reportedly is also very briskly paced which will appeal to younger audiences and at a running time of 1 hr 47 minutes the theaters will be able to get in more showings which can = more $$$.
  • Gala BrandGala Brand Posts: 1,172MI6 Agent
    Dunkirk will do huge business in the UK. I'm not sure about elsewhere. In the US it will largely depend on the reviews. Initial reactions are positive.

http://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/dunkirk-christopher-nolan-reviews-release-date-trailer-harry-styles-good-a7834696.html
  • Miles MesservyMiles Messervy Posts: 1,759MI6 Agent
    I'd be very surprised if Nolan did a Bond film with Craig. I would think he'd have a particular vision in mind and would want to be involved at some level in the casting of his lead. OHMSS is, I believe, his favorite Bond film. That would indicate he has something more classic in mind for the character.
  • zaphod99zaphod99 Posts: 1,415MI6 Agent
    Anyone who rates OHMSS highly is alright in my book. Dream ticket for me would be Nolan with Hiddleston and Arnold for the score. Lorde singing the title song...I can dream can't I ?
    Of that of which we cannot speak we must pass over in silence- Ludwig Wittgenstein.
  • superdaddysuperdaddy englandPosts: 917MI6 Agent
    Ideally DC to do 25 and finish off/tidy the Blofeld/spectre story and Hiddleston to do 26,27,28! Providing 25 comes out next year DC will only be 50 and 3 years later Hiddleston will be 40, younger than when RM, TD and PB took up the mantle! This is what I'm hopping for anyway!!
  • BarbelBarbel ScotlandPosts: 36,330Chief of Staff
    Eon (Wilson & Broccoli) are apparently to produce another spy movie, with a female lead:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/blake-lively-assassin-rhythm-section-movie-adaptation-1202493773/

This story does not fill me with hope for an early Bond film.
  • The Bond ExperienceThe Bond Experience Newtown, PAPosts: 5,490Quartermasters
    Or is it a cover-up for the filming of the James Bond movie?
  • ToTheRightToTheRight Posts: 314MI6 Agent
    Barbel wrote:
    Eon (Wilson & Broccoli) are apparently to produce another spy movie, with a female lead:

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/blake-lively-assassin-rhythm-section-movie-adaptation-1202493773/

This story does not fill me with hope for an early Bond film.

Dammit. And those Craig signing on for Bond stories nearly had me believe B25 was actually in the works. Now I'd be willing to bet when Craig makes the rounds on Logan Lucky and asked about Bond he'll say something like "well we're all a little tired". Or "there haven't been any discussions on Bond".
  • walther p99walther p99 NJPosts: 3,416MI6 Agent
    So the first official news from Wilson and Broccoli is that they're producing ANOTHER spy film? This doesn't bode well for Bond.
This discussion has been closed.